ADVERTISEMENT

Wells was there...

M-I-Coug

Hall Of Fame
Oct 13, 2002
Mercer Island

WSU men’s coach David Riley hopes to avoid a rebuild, but he can if he needs to​

Greg WoodsApril 4, 2024 at 8:56 pm
By
The Spokesman-Review
PULLMAN — Days before David Riley took the head coaching job at Washington State, before he made the 90-minute drive from Cheney for his introduction on Thursday, his job became exponentially tougher.

That’s because many of the current Cougars, the players who helped the program reach its first NCAA tournament in 16 years, hit the transfer portal. Since their season ended in late March, 10 players have entered the portal, and on Thursday, junior wing Jaylen Wells declared for the NBA draft.

Wells retains the option to return to WSU, as do the other 10 Cougs who have entered the portal. But it’s unlikely that all return, which means Riley will have some work to do: Either convince some of the players to stay — or rebuild the roster in the weeks and months ahead.

“My first goal is to retain,” Riley said. “I want every single one of these guys back. I don’t have some preconceived idea. … These guys are incredible players that mean a lot to this university. If I can retain, there definitely will not be a rebuild. That’s the first piece.”

Can Riley do it? Six WSU players attended Thursday’s news conference, including Wells, senior wing Andrej Jakimovski, freshman center Rueben Chinyelu and walk-on center AJ LeBeau, the last three of whom are in the portal. Also in attendance were freshmen guards Isaiah Watts and Parker Gerrits, both of whom appear to be staying put in Pullman.

That made the absence of a few players noticeable. Star guard Myles Rice was not in attendance, and neither was junior center Oscar Cluff, both of whom are also in the portal. Sophomore wing Kymany Houinsou and senior guard Joseph Yesufu (who missed nearly the whole season with an injury) also were not at the news conference.

They could have missed for any number of reasons — they’re still student-athletes with class schedules — but their absences may have offered a glimpse into the way Riley may have to retool this roster over the offseason. All players in the portal can return to WSU, but even if a majority return, Riley will have to find replacements.

The good news for WSU is that at Eastern Washington, where he spent the past three seasons as head coach, Riley did just that. Back in the offseason of 2021, when Riley took the head job, the Eagles lost all seven of their top scorers, including forward Tanner Groves and guard Kim Aiken Jr., the linchpins on an EWU team that made the NCAA tournament and threatened third-seeded Kansas.

The very next year, guard Steele Venters broke out and EWU finished the regular season three games above .500, making the postseason at The Basketball Classic. The season after that, the Eagles won the first of two straight Big Sky regular-season titles, while Venters took home conference MVP honors and EWU landed two players on the all-conference first team.

All to say: Riley hopes he doesn’t have to rebuild this WSU roster, but if he does, he has experience to draw on.

“Comfortable with the idea of that,” Riley said. “It all starts with development. We had a bunch of guys that were under the radar, that weren’t supposed to be good coming out of high school. It’s kind of the idea of those guys. We had these great players, but the idea of [former EWU player] Tyler Harvey coming in, walking on for two years and in year four, being the leading scorer in the country and getting drafted by the Magic.

“That idea can transfer to all these different players if you work the same way. You have guys here that have the same kind of idea, the same story and the same background. We’ve just got to use that. We’re going to develop. We’re going to work. I want these guys because they’re really good.”

If Riley does have to rebuild in some capacity, he might look at his EWU team, which won the Big Sky regular-season title last season before falling in the conference tournament. Junior wing Casey Jones, a second-team all-conference pick who averaged 13 points and ranked first nationwide in free-throw rate last season, entered the transfer portal on Thursday. Riley said he had not talked to Jones since he entered the portal.

Among other potential candidates to come from EWU to WSU: all-conference first teamer Cedric Coward, a 6-6 guard; second-teamer Ethan Price, a 6-10 forward; and LeJuan Watts, a 6-6 forward who won Big Sky Newcomer of the Year honors last season.

Riley didn’t offer much in the way of whether any of those guys could follow him to WSU. He did say when he took the Washington State job, he called each Eagle individually to thank them for their contributions — “for the opportunity they gave me to come here. It was all them,” Riley said.

“We’ll see where things lie,” Riley added.

He sang much the same tune on the topic of his staff, which he hopes to finalize in the days ahead, he said. He offered no hints on potential candidates, but one of his EWU assistants, Jerry Brown, attended Thursday’s news conference.

On Friday, Riley will head to Phoenix to watch the Final Four, he said. He hopes to complete his coaching staff then.

Greg Woods Washington State beat writer for The Spokesman-Review

Reactions: Coug1990

WSU men’s coach David Riley hopes to avoid a rebuild, but he can if he needs to​

Greg WoodsApril 4, 2024 at 8:56 pm
By
The Spokesman-Review
PULLMAN — Days before David Riley took the head coaching job at Washington State, before he made the 90-minute drive from Cheney for his introduction on Thursday, his job became exponentially tougher.

That’s because many of the current Cougars, the players who helped the program reach its first NCAA tournament in 16 years, hit the transfer portal. Since their season ended in late March, 10 players have entered the portal, and on Thursday, junior wing Jaylen Wells declared for the NBA draft.

Wells retains the option to return to WSU, as do the other 10 Cougs who have entered the portal. But it’s unlikely that all return, which means Riley will have some work to do: Either convince some of the players to stay — or rebuild the roster in the weeks and months ahead.

“My first goal is to retain,” Riley said. “I want every single one of these guys back. I don’t have some preconceived idea. … These guys are incredible players that mean a lot to this university. If I can retain, there definitely will not be a rebuild. That’s the first piece.”

Can Riley do it? Six WSU players attended Thursday’s news conference, including Wells, senior wing Andrej Jakimovski, freshman center Rueben Chinyelu and walk-on center AJ LeBeau, the last three of whom are in the portal. Also in attendance were freshmen guards Isaiah Watts and Parker Gerrits, both of whom appear to be staying put in Pullman.

That made the absence of a few players noticeable. Star guard Myles Rice was not in attendance, and neither was junior center Oscar Cluff, both of whom are also in the portal. Sophomore wing Kymany Houinsou and senior guard Joseph Yesufu (who missed nearly the whole season with an injury) also were not at the news conference.

They could have missed for any number of reasons — they’re still student-athletes with class schedules — but their absences may have offered a glimpse into the way Riley may have to retool this roster over the offseason. All players in the portal can return to WSU, but even if a majority return, Riley will have to find replacements.

The good news for WSU is that at Eastern Washington, where he spent the past three seasons as head coach, Riley did just that. Back in the offseason of 2021, when Riley took the head job, the Eagles lost all seven of their top scorers, including forward Tanner Groves and guard Kim Aiken Jr., the linchpins on an EWU team that made the NCAA tournament and threatened third-seeded Kansas.

The very next year, guard Steele Venters broke out and EWU finished the regular season three games above .500, making the postseason at The Basketball Classic. The season after that, the Eagles won the first of two straight Big Sky regular-season titles, while Venters took home conference MVP honors and EWU landed two players on the all-conference first team.

All to say: Riley hopes he doesn’t have to rebuild this WSU roster, but if he does, he has experience to draw on.

“Comfortable with the idea of that,” Riley said. “It all starts with development. We had a bunch of guys that were under the radar, that weren’t supposed to be good coming out of high school. It’s kind of the idea of those guys. We had these great players, but the idea of [former EWU player] Tyler Harvey coming in, walking on for two years and in year four, being the leading scorer in the country and getting drafted by the Magic.

“That idea can transfer to all these different players if you work the same way. You have guys here that have the same kind of idea, the same story and the same background. We’ve just got to use that. We’re going to develop. We’re going to work. I want these guys because they’re really good.”

If Riley does have to rebuild in some capacity, he might look at his EWU team, which won the Big Sky regular-season title last season before falling in the conference tournament. Junior wing Casey Jones, a second-team all-conference pick who averaged 13 points and ranked first nationwide in free-throw rate last season, entered the transfer portal on Thursday. Riley said he had not talked to Jones since he entered the portal.

Among other potential candidates to come from EWU to WSU: all-conference first teamer Cedric Coward, a 6-6 guard; second-teamer Ethan Price, a 6-10 forward; and LeJuan Watts, a 6-6 forward who won Big Sky Newcomer of the Year honors last season.

Riley didn’t offer much in the way of whether any of those guys could follow him to WSU. He did say when he took the Washington State job, he called each Eagle individually to thank them for their contributions — “for the opportunity they gave me to come here. It was all them,” Riley said.

“We’ll see where things lie,” Riley added.

He sang much the same tune on the topic of his staff, which he hopes to finalize in the days ahead, he said. He offered no hints on potential candidates, but one of his EWU assistants, Jerry Brown, attended Thursday’s news conference.

On Friday, Riley will head to Phoenix to watch the Final Four, he said. He hopes to complete his coaching staff then.

Greg Woods Washington State beat writer for The Spokesman-Review
Shit - offer Shaw to stay for at least a year at same salary unless Smith snatches him up.

It would be great to keep Wells, I don't think the NBA is a realistic option for him yet, plus the NBA is shutting down the G League Ignite after this season. The problem I see with 1 foot out the door is he will get some attractive NIL offers, which we might have a hard time matching. On other portal entries, rumor has it Rice is down to Auburn, Indiana, and Texas A & M.

It would be great to keep Wells, I don't think the NBA is a realistic option for him yet, plus the NBA is shutting down the G League Ignite after this season. The problem I see with 1 foot out the door is he will get some attractive NIL offers, which we might have a hard time matching. On other portal entries, rumor has it Rice is down to Auburn, Indiana, and Texas A & M.
Interesting about Rice. A week ago I read he was down to Stanford and South Carolina.

Glad Cougar

Wells has not entered the Portal from what I see. OK to sniff the NBA, get the scouts looking at him. He's got a prominent starting spot locked up tight. Tear up the WCC (he's from Sacramento BTW) and he's good to go for a possible NBA shot. He does have his Covid year available, so he could bail next year if he needed to.

Note on Rice - yeah SC (he's from there) or Stanford. Or stay? He'll only be a Sophomore. Improve that 3 ball next year and who knows. One thing about him, good as he is to the basket, we spent many a possession watching him dribble around for much of the shot clock, when from what I could see shooters were open on the perimeter. Not nearly enough passing the ball around for my liking.

And Cluff - he's got a solid mid-range jumper. Can he stretch it out a little farther ala Baynes in the NBA? His defense is solid. I don't see him getting a bunch of lucrative offers in the Portal.

I agree about Rice--as good as he was, MORE PASSING would have been a definite improvement. . I'm a bit surprised at Cluff; thought he was one of those most likely to stay. I really hope Yaki stays - that would be huge... any rumblings about any of his players coming from EWU?

I agree about Rice--as good as he was, MORE PASSING would have been a definite improvement. . I'm a bit surprised at Cluff; thought he was one of those most likely to stay. I really hope Yaki stays - that would be huge... any rumblings about any of his players coming from EWU?
Casey Jones entered the portal yesterday.

Kurt Rambis glasses included.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT