ADVERTISEMENT

Settlement

So, is $27.5m all that WSU and OSU will get?
what about the next 5/6 years of March Madness allocations?

Edit - from another article - what the hell is this? Future BB allocations?

"As expected, the schools will not have any claims to future revenue with a few exceptions—all of which were redacted from the contract."

Last edited:
what about the next 5/6 years of March Madness allocations?

Edit - from another article - what the hell is this? Future BB allocations?

"As expected, the schools will not have any claims to future revenue with a few exceptions—all of which were redacted from the contract."
What about shortfalls on past tv deals?

I'm sure there is more details out there other than some media article.

If it's true then the Pac-2 is locked into two years with the WCC. And, that would mean to me that the Pac-2 will sign in September for the 2nd year of the scheduling agreement. That will cost the Pac-2 $12 million. Not a lot of money but still an expenditure. It also tells me that any ideas the Pac-2 had about poaching some MWC schools during the scheduling agreement is DOA.

I'm very surprised with the amount of money the Pac-2 is getting. The athletic departments better get ready to tighten their belts.

I'm sure there is more details out there other than some media article.

If it's true then the Pac-2 is locked into two years with the WCC. And, that would mean to me that the Pac-2 will sign in September for the 2nd year of the scheduling agreement. That will cost the Pac-2 $12 million. Not a lot of money but still an expenditure. It also tells me that any ideas the Pac-2 had about poaching some MWC schools during the scheduling agreement is DOA.

I'm very surprised with the amount of money the Pac-2 is getting. The athletic departments better get ready to tighten their belts.
Surprised that it's so much, or so little?

F-ing media is lazy. This is a public record, but you have to make a public records request to get it. Not too tough.

I read the WCC deal. We got hosed on it worse than the MW hosed us (no offense). I'll have to find it again. As I recall, we pay aa bunch, I think with no media rights even for home games (could be wrong on that), and if we bail on Year 2 it costs more than if we were to stay.

Surprised that it's so much, or so little?

F-ing media is lazy. This is a public record, but you have to make a public records request to get it. Not too tough.

I read the WCC deal. We got hosed on it worse than the MW hosed us (no offense). I'll have to find it again. As I recall, we pay aa bunch, I think with no media rights even for home games (could be wrong on that), and if we bail on Year 2 it costs more than if we were to stay.
Too little. Some on this forum were talking 9 figure dollar amounts at one time. So, it just comes across to me as very little. Just goes to show that we don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

I don't know anything about that WCC "deal". I didn't like that the Pac-2 went that route but, perhaps it was necessary for all sports and to have the least amount of travel costs. Aside from a few schools in the WCC for basketball those NET ratings are some of the worst. I think I remember seeing Pacific in the 300's. The MWC has AF which is not good either but, overall this year we had 4 or 5 schools in the top 50. And, playing in those tiny gyms for basketball in the WCC sucks. I just wish we had OSU and WSU for some of your women's sports like basketball and volleyball. I think your soccer has been good as well. Maybe we will be in the same conference in the future. Who knows anymore.

So, is $27.5m all that WSU and OSU will get?
The departing schools will have $5 million withheld during the 2024 fiscal year for a total of $50 million under the deal announced Monday. The departing schools also will each pay a $1.5 million "supplemental contribution" to the conference that will be used by the remaining schools to navigate an uncertain future.

From that I'm getting $32.5 million each. That's in the neighborhood of 25 percent of the annual distribution to each school. I believe the Pac also retains all past rights. So, for instance, uw would have to pay a royalty to the Pac to use any highlights of past seasons, etc. WSU and OSU has the Pac-12 networks assets for whatever those are worth. I'm sure there are other aspects as well. A public records request is all it would take to get the settlement agreement.

If the number the parties landed on for a contribution to cover liabilities was $1.5 million per departing school, perhaps the financial situation is better than previously thought.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Too little. Some on this forum were talking 9 figure dollar amounts at one time. So, it just comes across to me as very little. Just goes to show that we don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

I don't know anything about that WCC "deal". I didn't like that the Pac-2 went that route but, perhaps it was necessary for all sports and to have the least amount of travel costs. Aside from a few schools in the WCC for basketball those NET ratings are some of the worst. I think I remember seeing Pacific in the 300's. The MWC has AF which is not good either but, overall this year we had 4 or 5 schools in the top 50. And, playing in those tiny gyms for basketball in the WCC sucks. I just wish we had OSU and WSU for some of your women's sports like basketball and volleyball. I think your soccer has been good as well. Maybe we will be in the same conference in the future. Who knows anymore.

IMO, it's still something like a 90% likelihood of the outcome in a couple years being a reverse merger with the Mountain West. I hear you regarding basketball. My suspicion there based on the $ the Mountain West got from WSU and OSU for football led them to look to the WCC to save money since basketball and other non-revenue sports don't make WSU or OSU much money anyway, and they are deprioritizing those sports for now (and perhaps indefinitely).

For context, basketball at WSU has been tough most of the time, other than a few decent eras for a while under exceptional coaches. Power 5 affiliation sold enough recruits, coaches, etc. to make football have at least a reasonable chance of being solid, even if the deck was still stacked against them. Tougher with basketball due to P5/P6 status being less meaningful and the rural location(s) being even bigger issues. Kids reasonably could choose any number of smaller schools in numerous cities and still have a shot at getting in the NCAA tournament, in many cases a much better one than at WSU or OSU, and otherwise playing at a pretty high level. Was Power 5 or bust, for the most part, in football.

IMO, it's still something like a 90% likelihood of the outcome in a couple years being a reverse merger with the Mountain West. I hear you regarding basketball. My suspicion there based on the $ the Mountain West got from WSU and OSU for football led them to look to the WCC to save money since basketball and other non-revenue sports don't make WSU or OSU much money anyway, and they are deprioritizing those sports for now (and perhaps indefinitely).

For context, basketball at WSU has been tough most of the time, other than a few decent eras for a while under exceptional coaches. Power 5 affiliation sold enough recruits, coaches, etc. to make football have at least a reasonable chance of being solid, even if the deck was still stacked against them. Tougher with basketball due to P5/P6 status being less meaningful and the rural location(s) being even bigger issues. Kids reasonably could choose any number of smaller schools in numerous cities and still have a shot at getting in the NCAA tournament, in many cases a much better one than at WSU or OSU, and otherwise playing at a pretty high level. Was Power 5 or bust, for the most part, in football.
Since I became a WSU student in 1993, WSU has made the tournament four times: 1994; 2007; 2008; and 2024.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT