ADVERTISEMENT

Sling TV advice

702coug

Hall Of Fame
Aug 21, 2012
Looks like it's my only option based on my location. With so many of the games playing on ESPN and FS1 (so far) is my best option the orange and blue package? I noticed they don't offer a single simple
"sports" option. And the Sling site isn't very specific in the details. How do those who use Sling for college football like it?
Sorry if this has been covered before.

Looks like it's my only option based on my location. With so many of the games playing on ESPN and FS1 (so far) is my best option the orange and blue package? I noticed they don't offer a single simple
"sports" option. And the Sling site isn't very specific in the details. How do those who use Sling for college football like it?
Sorry if this has been covered before.

I think you'll need both orange and blue plans if you want full coverage of channels. As far as using Sling, I haven't used it in two years but following are my observations:
  1. Get ready to hate the repetitive music that ESPN plays on every commercial break that isn't a "national" commercial. Words can't describe how much I hated that music. Type in "Sling ESPN comm....." and it will autofill with "commercial music" because everyone hated it so much.
  2. I used a Roku 3 for my sling experience and it was kind of buggy and prone to freezing on occasion.
  3. I had an 25 MB/s download connection (18 MB/s tested) and still had the occasional problem with low resolution streaming.
  4. Their interface 2 years ago was cumbersome, non-intuitive and slow in response.
  5. At the end of the day, despite annoyances, it worked well 98% of the time.
So, if you are stuck with no other choice, sling is a good way to get sports channels that you might not otherwise have access to. I wouldn't personally ever use it again unless I didn't have a better choice, but I'd switch to Sling before I would sign up for satellite service.

I'm also interested in feedback on this, as I'm considering cutting the cord myself and Sling looks like one of the only options to still get the Pac12 Network.

I'm also interested in feedback on this, as I'm considering cutting the cord myself and Sling looks like one of the only options to still get the Pac12 Network.
I've used Sling each of the last 2 years. It was mediocre in 2015, buggy with a lot of freezes. In 2016 it was actually pretty good, with very few issues. Probably will get it again this season.

I only used the Orange package with the ESPN channels, no FS1.

Reactions: Fab5Coug

I tried the week long demo through Roku. Hope was to cancel Dish and rely on more streaming services.

I had no issues with the streaming but I couldn't "rewind" a live event or join an event in progress from the beginning. I don't think I could pause a live event either. Those options were not available unless the program was completed.

I didn't bother keeping it.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
I tried the week long demo through Roku. Hope was to cancel Dish and rely on more streaming services.

I had no issues with the streaming but I couldn't "rewind" a live event or join an event in progress from the beginning. I don't think I could pause a live event either. Those options were not available unless the program was completed.

I didn't bother keeping it.
Dish, it's Hopper, and interface is by far, leaps and bounds better, (in it's technology and everything it performs), than all the competition put together. I understand about "budgets", and cable cutting, but there's nothing compelling that would ever separate our dedicated room, house or family from Dish Network, especially college football.

Last edited:
Reactions: PatBaum
Don't get me wrong. I love Dish. But we spend a lot of money on it and and everyone in our house streams their video content. So at some point you have to look at alternatives to at least understand your options.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
Don't get me wrong. I love Dish. But we spend a lot of money on it and and everyone in our house streams their video content. So at some point you have to look at alternatives to at least understand your options.
SD, I totally am with ya, and agree. Our main source is VUDU, where we own over 650 movies on Ultra Violet, digital redeems. We pay $2.00 to $8.00 for movies, new releases and old, and have built up our VUDU stream library, like I said to 650 titles.

Blu-Ray is dead, (buying or renting physical discs) and network television hardly gets watched. Of course with Dish, you get the Pac-12 Network, but yeah, we hardly watch network programing. Love VUDU. Most people stream Netflix and have no idea what they could have with streaming affordable HD movies via redemtion codes, not to mention VUDU's amazing HD interface. And you own it, (in the cloud via Ultra Violet).

Switched a year ago to Sling. Lack of DVR and pause/rewind function is my only major dislike. The other minor gripe is if you are straight wifi you are usually 30-45 seconds behind live coverage. And no RootNW for Ms games.

Worth the savings for us tho since we don't watch a lot of network tv except sports. The Android App is very good if you have a solid mobile signal or wifi.

Ive found you can cut the live lag down to around 15-20 seconds if your Roku is hardlined into your router, and the video quality on my 4K tv is great.

Obviously one of the determining factors is the PAC12 Network but I've heard great, great things about Hulu subscriptions and "cutting the cable" for cost issues. No personal experience (still on Dish, lol) and don't even know what they have to offer, specifically, but family members love it. One thing they comment on, is it's cheaper than the satellites and they still get some local stations.

Yes the inability to record and rewatch is brutal with Sling. That's almost a deal breaker. But with your Sling registration, you should be able to re-watch games on demand from Pac12 network and ESPN I think, not sure tho.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT