ADVERTISEMENT

OT: cable cutting yes or no?

BleedCrimsonandGray

Hall Of Fame
Oct 2, 2007
Are you a cable cutter? Why or why not?

Personally, I cut the cord 10 years ago. I found that the programming on network/ cable tv was garbage and that I could get anything I REALLY wanted to watch online or through a streaming service. And I mean specifically ala carte streaming services, not cable disguised as a streaming service (Hulu, Fubo, Sling.) I lived through the growing pains of crappy internet service, bad routers, etc, but honestly I don't feel like I've missed much.

I think the tipping point for me was that after having directv for 15 years I wasn't thrilled about seeing them offer NEW customers a low rate locked in for life plus other free services while my bill grew monthly (it seemed) and when I would call and ask for a deal they'd basically tell me to pound sand. Even when I did the ol' "well, I'm gonna quit dtv" charade. In fact, the last time I called they basically told me to not let the door hit me in the ass on the way out. So... long story long: f directv.

Benefits of streaming services: I can come and go as I please, the programming has gotten exponentially better over the last 10 years across the board, I can get a lot of brain-free watching with OTA channels if that's what I'm in the mood for, in general no ads, series are available to buy if you've missed them.

Drawbacks of streaming services: they are starting to have a lot of ads, depending on what you subscribe to there is no msnbc/fox/cnn (this could be listed under benefit as well), ESPN might or might not be in your package, they always seem to randomly log you off and you have to do the log-in dance again, original programming can get stagnant.

Yes, definitely.

My experience is similar, but I was with Dish for years. Actually bought my first receiver and dish from Costco, so I owned them outright. Held onto those for as long as I could, didn't upgrade until I couldn't get channels I wanted because the unit was outdated. Then, they told me I couldn't own them anymore, I could only lease the receiver (which seems like a scam, just like the internet modems a lot of providers "require"). I think they gave me something free for a few months with the upgrade, but new subscribers always got better deals. Oddly enough, after I sold my house and quit Dish, they started sending me offers that were really pretty good deals...but that ship had sailed.

Sling was my first move into streaming. First year or two it had some bandwidth issues, I remember watching our game at Rutgers and it kept buffering. I think it was the same season that we had a close game (at Stanford, maybe?) and the stream was so bad that I turned it off and listened to the radio instead. They've stabilized quite a bit since, by 2018/19 I could watch pretty much uninterrupted.

Downside is that Sling now has some of the same issues cable/dish did. They're a lot more expensive to get bundles of things I don't want. The things I do want are split between their packages so I have to buy multiple ones and jack up the cost. They at least have the advantage of being able to cancel whenever and pick it back up whenever. I expect that sooner or later the streaming industry will start going to term contracts, but they haven't yet.

I'd be very happy if some platform would come out with true a la carte programming.

I will at some point. On Comcast, I don't watch very many of the channels. If I could ala carte what I want to watch, and save a 100 bucks a month, I would in a heartbeat.

Yes, definitely.

My experience is similar, but I was with Dish for years. Actually bought my first receiver and dish from Costco, so I owned them outright. Held onto those for as long as I could, didn't upgrade until I couldn't get channels I wanted because the unit was outdated. Then, they told me I couldn't own them anymore, I could only lease the receiver (which seems like a scam, just like the internet modems a lot of providers "require"). I think they gave me something free for a few months with the upgrade, but new subscribers always got better deals. Oddly enough, after I sold my house and quit Dish, they started sending me offers that were really pretty good deals...but that ship had sailed.

Sling was my first move into streaming. First year or two it had some bandwidth issues, I remember watching our game at Rutgers and it kept buffering. I think it was the same season that we had a close game (at Stanford, maybe?) and the stream was so bad that I turned it off and listened to the radio instead. They've stabilized quite a bit since, by 2018/19 I could watch pretty much uninterrupted.

Downside is that Sling now has some of the same issues cable/dish did. They're a lot more expensive to get bundles of things I don't want. The things I do want are split between their packages so I have to buy multiple ones and jack up the cost. They at least have the advantage of being able to cancel whenever and pick it back up whenever. I expect that sooner or later the streaming industry will start going to term contracts, but they haven't yet.

I'd be very happy if some platform would come out with true a la carte programming.
Ah, I forgot about the rental equipment scam.

I own all of my internet hardware and I encourage everyone to do the same. There is no inherent benefit to renting other than they give you another free garbage router/ modem when yours goes out.

Personally, I cut the cord 10 years ago. I found that the programming on network/ cable tv was garbage and that I could get anything I REALLY wanted to watch online or through a streaming service. And I mean specifically ala carte streaming services, not cable disguised as a streaming service (Hulu, Fubo, Sling.) I lived through the growing pains of crappy internet service, bad routers, etc, but honestly I don't feel like I've missed much.

I think the tipping point for me was that after having directv for 15 years I wasn't thrilled about seeing them offer NEW customers a low rate locked in for life plus other free services while my bill grew monthly (it seemed) and when I would call and ask for a deal they'd basically tell me to pound sand. Even when I did the ol' "well, I'm gonna quit dtv" charade. In fact, the last time I called they basically told me to not let the door hit me in the ass on the way out. So... long story long: f directv.

Benefits of streaming services: I can come and go as I please, the programming has gotten exponentially better over the last 10 years across the board, I can get a lot of brain-free watching with OTA channels if that's what I'm in the mood for, in general no ads, series are available to buy if you've missed them.

Drawbacks of streaming services: they are starting to have a lot of ads, depending on what you subscribe to there is no msnbc/fox/cnn (this could be listed under benefit as well), ESPN might or might not be in your package, they always seem to randomly log you off and you have to do the log-in dance again, original programming can get stagnant.
My streaming comes through Comcast. I might be able to save a few bucks, but it's more work than I want to do, and I would need the high speed internet anyway if I'm going to cut the cable cord.

Reactions: HCoug
I did a while ago but have since found there’s no good options. No matter what you do you are missing stuff you want and have a gazillion extra channels you don’t give a shit about. I recently switched to Fubo because they carried p12 and Root + NFL red zone. Then realized during the NCAA tourney there’s no TBS or TNT which also F’d me in the NHL playoffs trying to watch the Kraken. I like the option to watch the mariners but the org is just pocketing the TV money and not putting it into the roster so they are bound for mediocrity forever. Now the P12 is flirting with TBS/TNT apparently? Honestly about ready to shut everything off and just go watch the games I want to watch at BWW or something. TV used to be simple and it’s now a F’in racket.

I did a while ago but have since found there’s no good options. No matter what you do you are missing stuff you want and have a gazillion extra channels you don’t give a shit about. I recently switched to Fubo because they carried p12 and Root + NFL red zone. Then realized during the NCAA tourney there’s no TBS or TNT which also F’d me in the NHL playoffs trying to watch the Kraken. I like the option to watch the mariners but the org is just pocketing the TV money and not putting it into the roster so they are bound for mediocrity forever. Now the P12 is flirting with TBS/TNT apparently? Honestly about ready to shut everything off and just go watch the games I want to watch at BWW or something. TV used to be simple and it’s now a F’in racket.
Kinda thinking don't make any major moves until the inevitable streaming consolidation happens.

Kinda thinking don't make any major moves until the inevitable streaming consolidation happens.
Eh, you can add them back whenever you want. Once the mariners fall apart after that brilliant trade dipota made for two more shitty bats, I’ll probably shut it down until there’s more clarity on where streaming is going. I’m probably paying more now for all the streaming crap I have then when I had cable.

Nope, I'm a bundler- cable TV, internet, and land line phone service (for alarm system. I end up watching stuff on many, many channels, not just a handful, so don't want something with a lot less channels just to save a few bucks. Old school? Probably, but it works for me. Well, all except for all those Spectrum commercials that are on every single channel out there.

Nope, I'm a bundler- cable TV, internet, and land line phone service (for alarm system. I end up watching stuff on many, many channels, not just a handful, so don't want something with a lot less channels just to save a few bucks. Old school? Probably, but it works for me. Well, all except for all those Spectrum commercials that are on every single channel out there.
If you watch a lot of TV I can see the value, but I don't.

My last cable bill was north of $150 and that was an "expanded" package with sports package, plus all the rentals, dvr function... all the nickels and dimes.

All in I think my streaming services run about $40, though Prime is hard to monetize because its included in the Prime membership which we use for the shopping, music service, and photo storage.

I should also mention that we had to increase our broadband service to a higher tier to accommodate the additional traffic.

Last edited:
Yeah I have Spectrum for TV and internet. $137/month. Was more but I signed up for that Covid program that subsidizes you internet. The old boy hasn't completely lost it yet.

About all the TV I watch is two and a half men reruns, Dr Pimple Popper (new episode tonight) and Gunsmoke. And I get the Pac-12 network.

Reactions: WindyCityCoug
Ah, I forgot about the rental equipment scam.

I own all of my internet hardware and I encourage everyone to do the same. There is no inherent benefit to renting other than they give you another free garbage router/ modem when yours goes out.
I’ve done it both ways over the years (centurylink), and I’m convinced they give different devices depending on your choice. If you buy the modem, they give you a shitty one that dies in a year or two. If you rent, you get a better one, and it lasts at least long enough that you pay double what its value is. Either way they make money.

I’ve done it both ways over the years (centurylink), and I’m convinced they give different devices depending on your choice. If you buy the modem, they give you a shitty one that dies in a year or two. If you rent, you get a better one, and it lasts at least long enough that you pay double what its value is. Either way they make money.
Yeah, don't buy it from them. Buy your own from best buy or amazon or whatever.

I think the thing that I hate the most about it is that it feels predatory. I'm sure theres more than a few folks on there that remember having to rent a phone from Ma Bell. At least that was our house. I'm not sure if you could always buy a phone, but we didn't have our own phone until the early 80's.

Yeah, don't buy it from them. Buy your own from best buy or amazon or whatever.

I think the thing that I hate the most about it is that it feels predatory. I'm sure theres more than a few folks on there that remember having to rent a phone from Ma Bell. At least that was our house. I'm not sure if you could always buy a phone, but we didn't have our own phone until the early 80's.
Yeah, we were on a borrowed plane home and a party line until right after Mt St Helens blew. When mom couldn’t call dad because the line was in use, it was time to go private.

What if I told y'all of a streaming box that cost you only a one-time fee ($300) and provided you with every sports channel you would ever need, in addition to all the usual "cable" channels, plus on-demand programming?

All this with only the cost of your monthly internet connection. Hmmm? What if I told you that? Would you be interested? That's all I have to say about that.

What if I told y'all of a streaming box that cost you only a one-time fee ($300) and provided you with every sports channel you would ever need, in addition to all the usual "cable" channels, plus on-demand programming?

All this with only the cost of your monthly internet connection. Hmmm? What if I told you that? Would you be interested? That's all I have to say about that.
Do I have to send the $300 to a Nigerian prince?

I finally cut the comcast tv cord back in March. It took me a long time to finally do that, but I was always watching free YouTube with some very good channels. I hate ads so much, but endure the short ones that YouTube has.

I missed out on live sports (Pac12 mainly, but paying about $100 per month and almost never watching Comcast cable TV made no sense.

I'll miss a lot of college football this fall, but gain time to do other things. It's a rough divorce, but Comcast did this to themselves. The value proposition wasn't worth it to me.

Just cut waaaaay back last week. Had cable + land line + internet and the bills were $250+/month. We ditched the land line and cut a ton of premium channels to get us down to below $150/month. We will try this for a while and next step will be to drop xfinity entirely save for internet.

Just cut waaaaay back last week. Had cable + land line + internet and the bills were $250+/month. We ditched the land line and cut a ton of premium channels to get us down to below $150/month. We will try this for a while and next step will be to drop xfinity entirely save for internet.
Happy Ny Mets GIF by New York Mets

I pay $75 per month for ATT Fiber Internet (300 MB/s) and I pay Sling TV about $75 per month from September to April. They don't care if you bail for 4 months in the summer and it saves me $300 per year. Gotta give Sling credit. They put FX and FS1 on a different tier so you have to pay for both Orange and Blue plus the Sports pack to get all the Coug games. Of course, it's looking like that might not be as big of a deal in the future, since we'll be streaming only on the TEMU network.

I pay $75 per month for ATT Fiber Internet (300 MB/s) and I pay Sling TV about $75 per month from September to April. They don't care if you bail for 4 months in the summer and it saves me $300 per year. Gotta give Sling credit. They put FX and FS1 on a different tier so you have to pay for both Orange and Blue plus the Sports pack to get all the Coug games. Of course, it's looking like that might not be as big of a deal in the future, since we'll be streaming only on the TEMU network.
Fiber rules.

Do I have to send the $300 to a Nigerian prince?
Um, no. These are often offered at booths during home improvement or yard and garden shows in, say, Spokane for example. The main downside for some is the lack of ability to record.

The picture quality is great with little to no buffering. I haven't paid for cable or any other streaming service for about 8 years is all I have to say about that

Reactions: Coug90
Um, no. These are often offered at booths during home improvement or yard and garden shows in, say, Spokane for example. The main downside for some is the lack of ability to record.

The picture quality is great with little to no buffering. I haven't paid for cable or any other streaming service for about 8 years is all I have to say about that
Its a pirate box, everyone.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT