ADVERTISEMENT

Smokin’

95coug

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
First, Sorry to anyone who expected cheerleader pictures or something.

I finally bought a smoker this summer, and I’ve been developing my skills ahead of the season. So far I’ve done pretty well with chicken thighs, pork chops, and (of course) papa Murphy’s pizza. Haven’t been as successful with beef or chicken breasts.

What are you go-to smoker dishes?

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
Not sure not they exactly did it, but I have a friend who cold smoked Cougar Gold Cheese.

My smokin' is more closer to singing Steve Miller's "The Joker".

I finally bought a smoker this summer, and I’ve been developing my skills ahead of the season. So far I’ve done pretty well with chicken thighs, pork chops, and (of course) papa Murphy’s pizza. Haven’t been as successful with beef or chicken breasts.

Couple easy ones. Ribs, 3-2-1 at 225. Season up night before and wrap in plastic. @225 smoke 3 hours, then foil for 2, then take foil off and an hour brushing bbq sauce and flipping every 15 min.

Pork shoulder for pulled pork - 225, 1.5 hrs/lb ish. Wrap at stall (or don’t if you have time and like bark) and pull at 200. Wrap in a cooler for an hour +.

Love doing a rib roast too.

Briskets are tricky. You haven’t been initiated till you’ve F’d up a good size brisket.

Couple easy ones. Ribs, 3-2-1 at 225. Season up night before and wrap in plastic. @225 smoke 3 hours, then foil for 2, then take foil off and an hour brushing bbq sauce and flipping every 15 min.

Pork shoulder for pulled pork - 225, 1.5 hrs/lb ish. Wrap at stall (or don’t if you have time and like bark) and pull at 200. Wrap in a cooler for an hour +.

Love doing a rib roast too.

Briskets are tricky. You haven’t been initiated till you’ve F’d up a good size brisket.
Haven’t attempted a brisket. Theres a turkey in the freezer that I think will be my next long smoke. My brother did one a few years ago with a chocolate porter brine…and I need to find out exactly what he did to that one.

Reactions: UberCougars
Dark meat chicken is my favorite thing to smoke. Legs, wings, or quarters, doesn't matter.

I'll do pork because who doesn't like pork, but its just me and my wife so there's usually a ton of left over.

Beef ribs are incredible but WAY overpriced right now.

I found a recipe for pork belly burnt ends that goes over well at parties, but make sure to take your cholesterol meds that day.

As for brisket... My last one was pretty damn good. The previous two were edible but ehh....

I get smaller briskets because of the size of my household and I've found that I blow right through the stall most of the time. The bad part is that if you miss pulling it out (I don't have wifi thermo pens... yet) it takes no time to dry the brisket right up.

Dark meat chicken is my favorite thing to smoke. Legs, wings, or quarters, doesn't matter.

I'll do pork because who doesn't like pork, but its just me and my wife so there's usually a ton of left over.

Beef ribs are incredible but WAY overpriced right now.

I found a recipe for pork belly burnt ends that goes over well at parties, but make sure to take your cholesterol meds that day.

As for brisket... My last one was pretty damn good. The previous two were edible but ehh....

I get smaller briskets because of the size of my household and I've found that I blow right through the stall most of the time. The bad part is that if you miss pulling it out (I don't have wifi thermo pens... yet) it takes no time to dry the brisket right up.
What do you do with beef ribs? I’ve not done those yet!

Haven’t attempted a brisket. Theres a turkey in the freezer that I think will be my next long smoke. My brother did one a few years ago with a chocolate porter brine…and I need to find out exactly what he did to that one.
Yeah make sure you brine birds. Makes all the difference to get them juicy.

Also, get a little plastic sprayer and mix it with water and a few TBS of apple cider vinegar. You’ll want to hit your pork’s every once in a while, adds flavor and lets them soak up the smoke better.

As for pellets, I just use the traeger costco competition blend for everything. It’s got some fruit woods and mesquite woods I think. I’ve never noticed much of a difference in flavors with different woods. I’ll do apple or alder w smoked salmon but the competition.l blend is good for everything else IMO.

My favorite site for ideas or advice is smokingmeatforums.com. There’s some serious bbqers on that site, like people with 100K posts. You can find anything on there.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
What do you do with beef ribs? I’ve not done those yet!
Slow and low, baby!

IIRC its 180 for at least 2 hours, but 3 is better. If you use individual pellets/ wood instead of a blend, beef can stand up to hickory and if you're brave mesquite really well, but be conservative with the mesquite.

Last edited:

Also, get a little plastic sprayer and mix it with water and a few TBS of apple cider vinegar. You’ll want to hit your pork’s every once in a while, adds flavor and lets them soak up the smoke better.

As for pellets, I just use the traeger costco competition blend for everything. It’s got some fruit woods and mesquite woods I think. I’ve never noticed much of a difference in flavors with different woods. I’ll do apple or alder w smoked salmon but the competition.l blend is good for everything else IMO.

My favorite site for ideas or advice is smokingmeatforums.com. There’s some serious bbqers on that site, like people with 100K posts. You can find anything on there.
The problem with site like that, or anywhere on the internet for that matter, is everyone has their own idea on how to do stuff. You'll have 100 people in agreement and the a couple of dill weeds will chime in with their anecdotal evidence on why what everyone else said is wrong. You should see my pizza oven group...

That being said those sites are full of information - more than most people need or want so you'll definitely learn something.

I'm a fan of Aaron Franklin and his simplicity in bbq. My wife got me his book and though he gets into quite a bit of detail with how he cooks personally, he breaks it down and gives you the basics that you can then build on with your own tweaks. And though I've been using (following Aaron's lead) a simple salt and pepper rub on everything, I have to say that I miss the intense flavor of the rubs I'd make when I was doing indirect heat on my Weber. I started with Alton Brown's Who's got your baby back (ribs) rub recipe and tweaked it as I went along. Some interesting twists I added were (though not all at the same time): rosemary, Cajun seasoning, spicy curry powder, turmeric, mustard powder, white pepper, Himalayan salt.

Reactions: UberCougars
The problem with site like that, or anywhere on the internet for that matter, is everyone has their own idea on how to do stuff. You'll have 100 people in agreement and the a couple of dill weeds will chime in with their anecdotal evidence on why what everyone else said is wrong. You should see my pizza oven group...

That being said those sites are full of information - more than most people need or want so you'll definitely learn something.

I'm a fan of Aaron Franklin and his simplicity in bbq. My wife got me his book and though he gets into quite a bit of detail with how he cooks personally, he breaks it down and gives you the basics that you can then build on with your own tweaks. And though I've been using (following Aaron's lead) a simple salt and pepper rub on everything, I have to say that I miss the intense flavor of the rubs I'd make when I was doing indirect heat on my Weber. I started with Alton Brown's Who's got your baby back (ribs) rub recipe and tweaked it as I went along. Some interesting twists I added were (though not all at the same time): rosemary, Cajun seasoning, spicy curry powder, turmeric, mustard powder, white pepper, Himalayan salt.
Did you just describe this place? 😜

Yeah you have to sort through some stuff but there’s good info for newbies. There’s guys on there who have probably smoked 1000 briskets.

Good tip on the apple cider vinegar. My pork chops have been turning out pretty well, my one complaint is that the surface dries and forms a sort of skin. Insides have been just about perfect though.
I’ve been doing pork chops pretty simple - a little bit of kosher salt and a liberal dose of lemon pepper..

Hey got a question.

My brother is into the Blackstone Griddle, and all the knockoff accessories, etc. He's saying that in a few years, once the masses catch on, traditional BBQ gas grills will be obsolete, or at least the demand will plummet. He's telling me that Griddles are the future.

You guys know anything about griddles, and do you believe they'll be a thing for the mass market, and traditional gas BBQ's will eventually die?

Last edited:

beef brisket

Hey got a question.

My brother is into the Blackstone Griddle, and all the knockoff accessories, etc. He's saying that in a few years, once the masses catch on, traditional BBQ grills will be obsolete, or at least the demand will plummet. He's telling me that Griddles are the future.

You guys know anything about griddles, and do you believe they'll be a thing for the mass market, and traditional BBQ's will eventually die?
no

Reactions: Coug90
Slow and low, baby!

IIRC its 180 for at least 2 hours, but 3 is better. If you use individual pellets/ wood instead of a blend, beef can stand up to hickory and if you're brave mesquite really well, but be conservative with the mesquite.
pellets are all made of alder, with flavoring oil added, is essence they are all the same. I hD couple of bags of actual 100 % mesquite pellets that I mail ordered and the difference was night and day over the usual brands, but the shipping cost is prohibitive

Hey got a question.

My brother is into the Blackstone Griddle, and all the knockoff accessories, etc. He's saying that in a few years, once the masses catch on, traditional BBQ gas grills will be obsolete, or at least the demand will plummet. He's telling me that Griddles are the future.

You guys know anything about griddles, and do you believe they'll be a thing for the mass market, and traditional gas BBQ's will eventually die?
My wife wants one of those griddles. My issue is that I don't want to lug around propane tanks and I haven't seen where they have a natural gas connection. But, yeah, I would own one right now.

Propane and natural gas bbq's died out for me a long time ago. I love using all natural lump wood charcoal in my Weber. Everything just tastes better with lump wood charcoal bbq.

Reactions: M-I-Coug and Coug90
Good tip on the apple cider vinegar. My pork chops have been turning out pretty well, my one complaint is that the surface dries and forms a sort of skin. Insides have been just about perfect though.
I’ve been doing pork chops pretty simple - a little bit of kosher salt and a liberal dose of lemon pepper..
Another trick for pork or chicken if you are doing smaller cuts is buttermilk. Marinate in that for a few hours and it’s a natural tenderizer of the meat, and it will come out really juicy. Just rinse it off first. Anytime I bbq or smoke chicken breasts or chops now I give them a buttermilk bath.

Yeah. I went out and bought a fancy Traeger thinking smoking was the way to go. I found I’m not patient enough for it and the quality wasn’t crazy different enough vs my BBQ. 🤷‍♂️

Another trick for pork or chicken if you are doing smaller cuts is buttermilk. Marinate in that for a few hours and it’s a natural tenderizer of the meat, and it will come out really juicy. Just rinse it off first. Anytime I bbq or smoke chicken breasts or chops now I give them a buttermilk bath.
I used a pat of butter on my last chops. Just put it on top and then brushed it out when it melted. Definitely reduced the dryness, and gave it a nice color.

Hey got a question.

The griddles are great for what they are, but No, they won’t replace the traditional BBQ. They don’t do the same things. Nobody’s going to do a turkey or a brisket on a Blackstone, or pancakes & eggs o n the BBQ. (I suppose you could do either…but it’d be a pain in the ass.)

I like the Blackstone, but in the end it’s just a big frying pan. Like having your own diner cooktop

Reactions: M-I-Coug
The griddles are great for what they are, but No, they won’t replace the traditional BBQ. They don’t do the same things. Nobody’s going to do a turkey or a brisket on a Blackstone, or pancakes & eggs o n the BBQ. (I suppose you could do either…but it’d be a pain in the ass.)

I like the Blackstone, but in the end it’s just a big frying pan. Like having your own diner cooktop
Well said. Hamburgers, pancakes, hash brown and eggs.

I guess there's a lid for every pot. :cool:

Yeah. I went out and bought a fancy Traeger thinking smoking was the way to go. I found I’m not patient enough for it and the quality wasn’t crazy different enough vs my BBQ. 🤷‍♂️
[/QUOTE]
Really? Have you done long smokes or have you just bbq smaller cuts? I wouldn’t get a smoker to do chicken breasts or burgers, the reason to have one is to do a 16-20 hour brisket or pork butt or slow smoke ribs instead of boiling them (way better IMO). As for patience, I find it pretty easy…I’ve got an app that connects to my smoker so I can go golf or take the boat out and turn it up, down, or off depending on my meat temp. Only two things are a pain in the ass, 1 cleaning them sucks, and 2 getting up at 3 in the morning to throw a chunk of meat on that you want done at a certain time.

Tons of friends use theirs as an indirect heat grill or oven, in which case ot 100% isn't worth it.

180 is to smoke the shit out of something, 225 is low and slow with some smoke - everything else can be done on a propane BBQ grill but there is more work involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: kougkurt
Hey got a question.

steak on a flat top is a crime against humanity.

everything else is personal preference.

I wouldn’t get a smoker to do chicken breasts or burgers, the reason to have one is to do a 16-20 hour brisket or pork butt or slow smoke ribs instead of boiling them (way better IMO). As for patience, I find it pretty easy…I’ve got an app that connects to my smoker so I can go golf or take the boat out and turn it up, down, or off depending on my meat temp. Only two things are a pain in the ass, 1 cleaning them sucks, and 2 getting up at 3 in the morning to throw a chunk of meat on that you want done at a certain time.

This is why I got a Yoder. Has a removable square in the middle and I got the grill grates. Crank up to 500 with direct heat and it grills wonderfully. Or put the square in and turn down to 200 or 225 for ribs, etc. I’ve done the Thanksgiving turkey and Christmas prime rib and got wonderful results. And it has the app that does the controls. Very heavy duty and feels like it’ll last 50 years.

Now I don’t need a BBQ and a smoker. Tastes better than gas grill.

steak on a flat top is a crime against humanity.

everything else is personal preference.
I’ll grant one exception: NY strip steaks (boneless) can be done on a pan or flat top. Liberally seasoned, on a hot surface - sear to form a bark and then add butter. Takes about 10 minutes start to finish.

I’ll grant one exception: NY strip steaks (boneless) can be done on a pan or flat top. Liberally seasoned, on a hot surface - sear to form a bark and then add butter. Takes about 10 minutes start to finish.
I considered this, but a cast iron pan hits differently than a flat top, not exactly sure why.

At least in my experience.

Hey got a question.

Love my Blackstone. Fajitas, breakfasts, steaks, burgers etc. Mine’s at the lake which is a good thing. I’d be dead from a heart attack if I cooked with it year around

Reactions: Coug90 and M-I-Coug
This is why I got a Yoder. Has a removable square in the middle and I got the grill grates. Crank up to 500 with direct heat and it grills wonderfully. Or put the square in and turn down to 200 or 225 for ribs, etc. I’ve done the Thanksgiving turkey and Christmas prime rib and got wonderful results. And it has the app that does the controls. Very heavy duty and feels like it’ll last 50 years.

Now I don’t need a BBQ and a smoker. Tastes better than gas grill.

Yoder grills are manufactured less than an hour from where I live.

Alright, this is gonna get me completely skewered, especially from the ‘Murica crowd…but gonna say it anyways. Any of you tried Sous vide yet? So, I got a buddy who’s like me…beer drinking fishing grilling dudes dude and he’s saying how awesome his steaks are doing this. I finally get one, it’s like $30 for a good one and sort of resembles a giant dildo.

Anyways, got some steaks on sale at Safeway, some cheaper cut. I figure this is a good one to try it. Phenomenal! So tender, pull it out of the bath and sear super hot for like 45 seconds each side. Rest it with butter and garlic on top. Did some ribeye's later, melt in your mouth.

I know it sounds like I’m an Algerian boxer but if you haven’t tried sous vide it’s next level. Only way I’m doing steaks now.

K, let me have it!!

Reactions: COUGinNCW
Alright, this is gonna get me completely skewered, especially from the ‘Murica crowd…but gonna say it anyways. Any of you tried Sous vide yet? So, I got a buddy who’s like me…beer drinking fishing grilling dudes dude and he’s saying how awesome his steaks are doing this. I finally get one, it’s like $30 for a good one and sort of resembles a giant dildo.

Anyways, got some steaks on sale at Safeway, some cheaper cut. I figure this is a good one to try it. Phenomenal! So tender, pull it out of the bath and sear super hot for like 45 seconds each side. Rest it with butter and garlic on top. Did some ribeye's later, melt in your mouth.

I know it sounds like I’m an Algerian boxer but if you haven’t tried sous vide it’s next level. Only way I’m doing steaks now.

K, let me have it!!
Yes! Sous vide is a very consistent way to cook meats, especially shrimp. Get a good char on it either in a pan or with a torch.

Highly recommend! That's all I have to say about that.

On smoker, I would say Salmon (you can buy whatever they have at Costco), do a simple brine, and it tastes just like the salty smoked salmon, but is super tender. Great on a summer day as you can let it cool and serve.

My wife wants one of those griddles. My issue is that I don't want to lug around propane tanks and I haven't seen where they have a natural gas connection. But, yeah, I would own one right now.

Propane and natural gas bbq's died out for me a long time ago. I love using all natural lump wood charcoal in my Weber. Everything just tastes better with lump wood charcoal bbq.
My wife's use of the Blackstone has been far less than the desire to buy one. For whatever that is worth.

My wife's use of the Blackstone has been far less than the desire to buy one. For whatever that is worth.
Wait so you bought a black stone so your wife can cook on it? Bold move! Can those things be split in half?

Yes! Sous vide is a very consistent way to cook meats, especially shrimp. Get a good char on it either in a pan or with a torch.

Highly recommend! That's all I have to say about that.
Interesting idea. I've heard of sous vide, but never really looked at it. At first read, I'll admit to a degree of revulsion - the idea of poaching a steak is just wrong. But...that's not really what's happening. This actually should give a very consistent cook - more so than any BBQ or smoker will provide - and should avoid having any real concerns about drying out the meat.

I may have to try this sometime...but it'll be on a cheaper cut of meat, and I'm not getting a vacuum sealer just to try a steak.

While sous vide does a good job of assuring a specific internal meat temperature, what I like best is the ability to time the outcome and not worry if it goes too long. The crock pot of the BBQ world.

That said, if I have time to watch it I prefer to cook the old fashioned way, though I include using a smoker as doing it the old fashioned way. I learned to smoke fish on a campfire, then in an old refrigerator, and I think of my Traeger as simply being an evolution of that trend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT