ADVERTISEMENT

So I was watching a Falk highlight film the other night...

random soul

Hall Of Fame
Dec 23, 2002
And the 2015 stuff in particular was just remarkable to watch. And almost all the highlighted throws went to Cracraft, Marks, or Dom Williams. I think when they left, Falk's production levelled off/went down. All three of those guys could get deep, though Williams was the only real deep threat (Cracraft knew how to exploit gaps and Marks just out-fought corners for the ball). Who on last year's team got deep routinely? Granted I'm not sure how often Luke was looking, but on the outside in particular the big plays were just gone. Some of that is scheme (people watched Boise and Colorado and emulated it) but we didn't have a receiver group like that again, especially this last year. The group we have now will stay intact except for Kyle Sweet through at least 2019, and I'm bullish on what they can do from the outside looking in. No matter who plays QB for us the next two years, the development of the receivers is just as important to the offense. If they do what we think they can do I like our chances to win the division in 2019. If not, well, not...

Reactions: ATLcoug10
First off, Johnson-Mack was a big disappointment last year. Our production on that side was just bad.

Our inside receivers just didn't have a knack for finding the open gaps like we saw in previous years, especially when comparing to Cracraft. You could even look back at an early Brett Bartolone and see how much better the inside was.

Tavares Martin was decent, but he would go missing at times, and often struggled with getting separation. Turns out he lacked speed, 4.8 40.

For whatever reason, there just wasn't good chemistry with Falk and this group of receivers, but it was there the previous years.

Lastly, our receivers need to find that natural instinct of where to be, what to do, and never give up (drive, killer instinct). This is the hardest thing to teach/coach. You saw it naturally in Cracraft and Marks. I did not get any sense of "killer instinct" in any of the WR's from last year.

I'm hoping that the Freshman WR's that showed promise at times last year continue to grow and improve.

To place the blame on the receivers is not right. When Falk was replaced in one game,the QB "magically" found receivers open and the team went on to victory. Falk should have been benched right then. His game against udub was horrible. To buy 3 roundtrip airline tickets,hotel rooms ,gas,food,and a car rental, to watch that was a sham and a complete waste of money. I watched his indecisiveness,statue like presence,almost fear, in a non competitive game . My reaction to the obvious lack of leadership from a senior QB ranged from amusing to disgust. He was not worth the price of admission . To think that he would be a first round draft choice and heir apparent to Brady was laughable.I think that the QB play has a good chance to be improved this year,even from an inexperienced QB..Perhaps in two years i will again go to see a coug-huskie game but not this year.His fan club will attack and say that i am not a "true coug"but there are many others who feel this way. It is their right and their opinion to say that. It is also my right and opinion to celebrate naught but his graduation. Some say i should keep my opinions to myself, i will when they will stop worshiping.

Reactions: Cougzz
The chemistry wasn't there between the receivers and Falk. The blame goes to both QB's and the receivers.

Plus, Dom Williams, Cracraft, and Marks....None of our receivers from last year could touch their production, athleticism, or overall skill set. So yes, a lot of the blame goes to last year's group. Our outside receivers were very, very slow, which caused problems with opening up the field. However, some of our young freshman receivers are showing some promise, but we really need someone to step up on the 2 outside receiver positions.

Falk was to blame too. Let's not forget, he played with a broken left wrist basically the entire year. Sure it was it non-throwing hand, but consider the limitations on conditioning, his self confidence/psyche during games. I don't care who the player is, that is going to effect someone's performance.

Falk had a down year, that is obvious. If he was given one more year, was completely healthy, who knows how he would do. However, we do know that he is capable of being much better, and that was proven his Soph and Junior year.

The chemistry wasn't there between the receivers and Falk. The blame goes to both QB's and the receivers.

Plus, Dom Williams, Cracraft, and Marks....None of our receivers from last year could touch their production, athleticism, or overall skill set. So yes, a lot of the blame goes to last year's group. Our outside receivers were very, very slow, which caused problems with opening up the field. However, some of our young freshman receivers are showing some promise, but we really need someone to step up on the 2 outside receiver positions.

Falk was to blame too. Let's not forget, he played with a broken left wrist basically the entire year. Sure it was it non-throwing hand, but consider the limitations on conditioning, his self confidence/psyche during games. I don't care who the player is, that is going to effect someone's performance.

Falk had a down year, that is obvious. If he was given one more year, was completely healthy, who knows how he would do. However, we do know that he is capable of being much better, and that was proven his Soph and Junior year.
I'd also put out there... as I recall, he had some "broken" ribs during the year, as well.

To place the blame on the receivers is not right. When Falk was replaced in one game,the QB "magically" found receivers open and the team went on to victory. Falk should have been benched right then. His game against udub was horrible. To buy 3 roundtrip airline tickets,hotel rooms ,gas,food,and a car rental, to watch that was a sham and a complete waste of money. I watched his indecisiveness,statue like presence,almost fear, in a non competitive game . My reaction to the obvious lack of leadership from a senior QB ranged from amusing to disgust. He was not worth the price of admission . To think that he would be a first round draft choice and heir apparent to Brady was laughable.I think that the QB play has a good chance to be improved this year,even from an inexperienced QB..Perhaps in two years i will again go to see a coug-huskie game but not this year.His fan club will attack and say that i am not a "true coug"but there are many others who feel this way. It is their right and their opinion to say that. It is also my right and opinion to celebrate naught but his graduation. Some say i should keep my opinions to myself, i will when they will stop worshiping.

Woah, even Marks said last year that a lot of the time the young receivers were not getting open, nor getting into the right "spot" on their routes... WR's were equally to blame last year.

A) stfu. Your favorite QB is always on the bench, so just save it.

B) You're not entirely wrong, but your opinion means squat due to your disposition.

I agree that Falk was guilty of too much thinking in 2017 and was his own worst enemy. I do take offense at the way that you go after the guy. Not to beat up on Hilinski, but for all of your man crush on him, the young man threw four interceptions against Arizona that sealed our loss in that game. In the BSU game, he had that clownish interception that led to a BSU touchdown and brought Falk back into the game. You don't agree with Leach but the guy who gets paid over $3 million per year went with the guy who was less likely to have multiple turnovers in every game. Nobody in their right mind "worships" Falk, but he was our best option whether you agree or not. BTW, he just got drafted into the NFL. Not bad for a guy that is so terrible in your book. I'm sure it's a conspiracy though.

Graham Harrell's departure may have had a bigger impact on Falk's continued improvement than most of us realize.

I think there may be something to the receiver play having a lot to do with Falk's problems last year and in late 2016, even if I'm a bit dubious that looking at a highlight reel is really all that dispositive.

That said, without wanting to trash Falk (I admire him greatly, with him nothing but the best, and appreciate all he did for WSU), I also am curious how we can explain Falk doing zero in games like those against Boise State and Arizona games, with the receivers supposedly failing to get any separation, and then the exact instant Hilinski took the field, the receivers magically were running around on most plays wide open. We're not talking about a 25% increase in production or something here ... it was Falk doing zilch and then Hilinski putting up 1000-yards/game paces or something ridiculous like that, if I recall correctly, on multiple occasions. Yes, he also turned the ball over against Arizona, but I'm just asking about how the receivers suddenly were not only able to be thrown to, but wide open on most plays, the instant Falk left the game. It wasn't just those games that Falk had major issues, either ... I remember watching Utah, for example, and being amazed at how the amazing defensive effort our team was putting up was almost wasted, with it being pretty clear even with the limited view you have on TV that some open receivers were being missed by Falk.

I think there may be something to the receiver play having a lot to do with Falk's problems last year and in late 2016, even if I'm a bit dubious that looking at a highlight reel is really all that dispositive.

That said, without wanting to trash Falk (I admire him greatly, with him nothing but the best, and appreciate all he did for WSU), I also am curious how we can explain Falk doing zero in games like those against Boise State and Arizona games, with the receivers supposedly failing to get any separation, and then the exact instant Hilinski took the field, the receivers magically were running around on most plays wide open. We're not talking about a 25% increase in production or something here ... it was Falk doing zilch and then Hilinski putting up 1000-yards/game paces or something ridiculous like that, if I recall correctly, on multiple occasions. Yes, he also turned the ball over against Arizona, but I'm just asking about how the receivers suddenly were not only able to be thrown to, but wide open on most plays, the instant Falk left the game. It wasn't just those games that Falk had major issues, either ... I remember watching Utah, for example, and being amazed at how the amazing defensive effort our team was putting up was almost wasted, with it being pretty clear even with the limited view you have on TV that some open receivers were being missed by Falk.
Do we know the games Falk was injured? Example, if he broke his wrist during the Utah game (not saying this is true, just an example), I don't care if it wasn't his throwing wrist, a broken anything would affect how effective I'd be. I'm not arguing with you, per se. But I do believe that a clear picture regarding his injuries would answer some of these questions.

I think Falk deserves a lot of criticism for the "constipated" offense that we had last year. He was looking for the perfect play and bypassing perfectly good plays too frequently. The thing is, production is irrelevant if you make major mistakes. I'm a big fan of Alex Brink and think he took too much heat over the years. That said, in his first game (against CU in Seattle) he came in because Swogger was having a horrible day and started slinging the ball everywhere. He threw for 251 yards in less than three quarters of work and had the offense moving. Thing is, he threw the pick six that ended up costing us the game, so all those yards and feel goods were worthless when it came to the final result. Hilinski was hitting those wide open receivers because he was slinging the ball at the first open guy that he saw, and based on the four picks against Arizona, even guys that weren't open. It's easy to gain yards when you are reckless but it's just as easy to melt down. In 2013, Halliday was having a decent day against OSU and had led WSU to a 24-17 lead in the third quarter. Mannion tied the game up at 24 and Falk started to melt down at that point. 3 of his next 5 passes were intercepted and a 24-24 tie had turned into a 45-24 asskicking.

So, throwing fearlessly can make it look easy, but it's often the reason why a game goes south. I have no doubt that's why Leach valued Falk as the starter.

Reactions: Cougzz
Do we know the games Falk was injured? Example, if he broke his wrist during the Utah game (not saying this is true, just an example), I don't care if it wasn't his throwing wrist, a broken anything would affect how effective I'd be. I'm not arguing with you, per se. But I do believe that a clear picture regarding his injuries would answer some of these questions.

I'm pretty certain that Falk broke his wrist during the BSU game.......

Reactions: earldacoug
Yes he did. That is why I said he pretty much played with a broken wrist the entire year.
Did I read somewhere that he had a chronic rib bruise going throughout the year, as well? Also something about his collar bone or something as well? I can't find it now, but I swear I read something about 3 issues that were hounding him all year. His wrist, his ribs, his collar bone?

Did I read somewhere that he had a chronic rib bruise going throughout the year, as well? Also something about his collar bone or something as well? I can't find it now, but I swear I read something about 3 issues that were hounding him all year. His wrist, his ribs, his collar bone?

Word was that the rib issues were caused by the season-long stabs in the back by ElC. Luke's flak vest kept the knife from penetrating (it wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, sort of like......:rolleyes:), but it still resulted in a lot of bruising....... :p

Why are the comparison's laughable? Brady had slow feet coming of Michigan. He didn't have the stats or maybe even the experience Falk had. What did Beady have when he came out of Michigan that made you think that he was better than Falk?

I thought Falk might not get drafted because the NFL frown on Air raid Qb's. How did Falk excel in 2015 where he won games late?

I remember seeing another QB look slow to release the ball as Falk did this year. And a large part the receivers didn't know ho w to get open where you drop 8 in coverage.

I think Halliday and Falk would have done better in the Stanford offense or the UW offense. Could you imagine Falk in an offense which had a standard running game, one where play action was a possibility and the linebackers didn't have one responsibility and that was to run into coverage?

I could see Falk actually sticking around in the NFL if he learns to take a snap from center and understands the passing concepts in the NFL.

Why are the comparison's laughable? Brady had slow feet coming of Michigan. He didn't have the stats or maybe even the experience Falk had. What did Beady have when he came out of Michigan that made you think that he was better than Falk?

I thought Falk might not get drafted because the NFL frown on Air raid Qb's. How did Falk excel in 2015 where he won games late?

I remember seeing another QB look slow to release the ball as Falk did this year. And a large part the receivers didn't know ho w to get open where you drop 8 in coverage.

I think Halliday and Falk would have done better in the Stanford offense or the UW offense. Could you imagine Falk in an offense which had a standard running game, one where play action was a possibility and the linebackers didn't have one responsibility and that was to run into coverage?

I could see Falk actually sticking around in the NFL if he learns to take a snap from center and understands the passing concepts in the NFL.

Ed, how do you "do better" than being the all time Pac-12 passing leader? And no need to answer.

I think Falk deserves a lot of criticism for the "constipated" offense that we had last year. He was looking for the perfect play and bypassing perfectly good plays too frequently. The thing is, production is irrelevant if you make major mistakes. I'm a big fan of Alex Brink and think he took too much heat over the years. That said, in his first game (against CU in Seattle) he came in because Swogger was having a horrible day and started slinging the ball everywhere. He threw for 251 yards in less than three quarters of work and had the offense moving. Thing is, he threw the pick six that ended up costing us the game, so all those yards and feel goods were worthless when it came to the final result. Hilinski was hitting those wide open receivers because he was slinging the ball at the first open guy that he saw, and based on the four picks against Arizona, even guys that weren't open. It's easy to gain yards when you are reckless but it's just as easy to melt down. In 2013, Halliday was having a decent day against OSU and had led WSU to a 24-17 lead in the third quarter. Mannion tied the game up at 24 and Falk started to melt down at that point. 3 of his next 5 passes were intercepted and a 24-24 tie had turned into a 45-24 asskicking.

So, throwing fearlessly can make it look easy, but it's often the reason why a game goes south. I have no doubt that's why Leach valued Falk as the starter.

Reasonable points for certain, and I don't mean to turn this into a Hilinski/Falk debate. I was just using that example to discuss whether more of the blame laid with the QBs or the receivers last year for the oft-"constipated" offense. From what I saw on the screen, I don't think it was as simple as Hilinski being "reckless" ... I saw Falk literally do absolutely nothing all half long, staring at his feet when the pocket collapsed, throwing it 3 yards out of bounds on sideline routes, and doing myriad check-downs. Then Hilinski came in and some guys seemingly were wide open on throws that certainly weren't "dangerous." To be sure, he also forced some throws and took some risks, but again, we aren't talking about an incremental improvement, where he completed a few more balls on risky throws. We're talking about a night and day difference in being able to move the ball. I push only because I think it's worth trying to examine if you guys have some thoughts either way, and again, not to trash Falk or to restart the Falk/Hilinski debate. Just talking about whether the receivers really were open or not. What would really tell is is the all-22 film, which none of us has, so maybe there's no way to know for sure. I just found the contrast on this particular point amazing when the different QBs were in there.

Ed, how do you "do better" than being the all time Pac-12 passing leader? And no need to answer.
Then why ask the question....do you remember the QB that played for Dave Kragthorpe back in the 80's. He had great numbers. Numbers don't tell the entire story.

If Falk had play action he may have looked less indecisive, had lower yardage totals but may have had more team success, IE 12-0 vs 10-2. Small difference but he would have been in a title game and they may have seen him more as an NFL QB.

Reasonable points for certain, and I don't mean to turn this into a Hilinski/Falk debate. I was just using that example to discuss whether more of the blame laid with the QBs or the receivers last year for the oft-"constipated" offense. From what I saw on the screen, I don't think it was as simple as Hilinski being "reckless" ... I saw Falk literally do absolutely nothing all half long, staring at his feet when the pocket collapsed, throwing it 3 yards out of bounds on sideline routes, and doing myriad check-downs. Then Hilinski came in and some guys seemingly were wide open on throws that certainly weren't "dangerous." To be sure, he also forced some throws and took some risks, but again, we aren't talking about an incremental improvement, where he completed a few more balls on risky throws. We're talking about a night and day difference in being able to move the ball. I push only because I think it's worth trying to examine if you guys have some thoughts either way, and again, not to trash Falk or to restart the Falk/Hilinski debate. Just talking about whether the receivers really were open or not. What would really tell is is the all-22 film, which none of us has, so maybe there's no way to know for sure. I just found the contrast on this particular point amazing when the different QBs were in there.

I agree completely. Falk was off last season and should have been better. If he had played at his peak all year long, without the odd stretches of mental constipation, we might have been 11-0 heading into the Apple Cup. Of course, that would have made the annual beat-down that much more humiliating.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT