ADVERTISEMENT

Soo - Our upcoming Big-12 invite

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
Just for shits and grins. If/When the Big-12 wises up and invites the Pac-2 into the fold, do they split into divisions? Let's assume yes.

So, in the West, we have OSU and WSU, The 4 traitors (oops 4 corner schools), and BYU. Then I guess 2 of Texas Tech, TCU and Baylor (Houston being the easternmost Texas school).
In football, do you play 9 conference games, with 8 of them against your division and one crossover? How about basketball? Home and homes against your division and 4 more against the other division? Or play everyone once (17 games) with the remaining 1-3 as H&H's against nearby schools (in our case OSU, Utah, Colorado?) Didn't we play 20 conference games last year? I dunno what the Big-12 does.

Last edited:
Just for shits and grins. If/When the Big-12 wises up and invites the Pac-2 into the fold, do they split into divisions? Let's assume yes.

So, in the West, we have OSU and WSU, The 4 traitors (oops 4 corner schools), and BYU. Then I guess 2 of Texas Tech, TCU and Baylor (Houston being the easternmost Texas school).
In football, do you play 9 conference games, with 8 of them against your division and one crossover? How about basketball? Home and homes against your division and 4 more against the other division? Or play everyone once (17 games) with the remaining 1-3 as H&H's against nearby schools (in our case OSU, Utah, Colorado?) Didn't we play 20 conference games last year? I dunno what the Big-12 does.

They will definitely split into divisions if we get an invite. I could even see them take another couple teams (SDSU and UNLV?) to get to an easier number to work with. Play everyone once in basketball. In football, four teams in your pod and two teams from the other pods. Two OOC games.

I would hope that the Big XII does something with the ACC. Best move the Big XII and ACC can make now is to add strength in numbers, which would mean pairing up in some manner, an all out merger, "strategic alliance" or whatever. If the NCAA is going to remain a governing body, you have to build the voting block to at least have veto power.

I would hope that the Big XII does something with the ACC. Best move the Big XII and ACC can make now is to add strength in numbers, which would mean pairing up in some manner, an all out merger, "strategic alliance" or whatever. If the NCAA is going to remain a governing body, you have to build the voting block to at least have veto power.
Would that not make it the P3, thus making the B1G/SEC stranglehold firmer? I don't understand (and don't care to try) how those 2 can have so much sway over the CFP, etc. Like no other conference gets a vote? Seems to me like a separate but intact Big-12 and ACC are better.

Would that not make it the P3, thus making the B1G/SEC stranglehold firmer? I don't understand (and don't care to try) how those 2 can have so much sway over the CFP, etc. Like no other conference gets a vote? Seems to me like a separate but intact Big-12 and ACC are better.
Oh boy. The number of schools, not conferences is what matters.

They'd have to work out some sort of strategic alliance, not a merger. If they merge, they surrender a vote and forever become subservient to the Big10/SEC. Make an alliance, set up their schedules with some cross-conference action, negotiate their media deals in coordination with each other....but stay separate and maintain their 2 separate votes. That's the only way they can even attempt to maintain their footing.

Even at that, it's likely just a stall tactic. Nothing is sacred anymore, the alliance won't hold if the networks throw around enough money.

If the ACC west happens, it will be ESPN brokering this. Clemson and FSU to the SEC (maybe on reduced shares), ACC media deal is extended (remember ESPN has an out after 2026) and new schools and markets are invited.

They will definitely split into divisions if we get an invite. I could even see them take another couple teams (SDSU and UNLV?) to get to an easier number to work with. Play everyone once in basketball. In football, four teams in your pod and two teams from the other pods. Two OOC games.
The Big 12 will never add schools simply "to get to an easier number to work with." SDSU and UNLV have no value. Washington St. does, and Oregon St. to a lesser degree. Yormark will first wait to see how the ACC shakes out. If FSU, Clemson, UNC, Virginia bolt, then he will have some good value schools to add - North Carolina St., Virginia Tech, which will build the East pod of University of West Virginia, Cincinnati, and possibly Miami - a school that is in a tricky spot regarding realignment.
Yormark is a BB guy, and would love to add UCONN and Duke, but the FB value of those two schools is awful. As far as losing schools, his only worry is Kansas.

Quoting myself "If the NCAA is going to remain a governing body, you have to build the voting block to at least have veto power."

Still not following you here. When do all the member schools individually vote on anything? It's the conferences and/or Board of Governors that are the deciders. But no matter. I am slightly warming up to the notion of joining the Bic-12 should they offer (they won't IMHO). The ACC, which won't either, is just a bad idea all around.

So now it is July, various clocks are ticking, and the Pac-2 needs to get off of its ass. Almost $-0- media arrangement, no new BB allocations, almost -0- chance of making the CFP, spending 10's of millions of our nest egg to balance the budget.

Big-12 or new Pac-12/14.

The Big 12 will never add schools simply "to get to an easier number to work with." SDSU and UNLV have no value. Washington St. does, and Oregon St. to a lesser degree. Yormark will first wait to see how the ACC shakes out. If FSU, Clemson, UNC, Virginia bolt, then he will have some good value schools to add - North Carolina St., Virginia Tech, which will build the East pod of University of West Virginia, Cincinnati, and possibly Miami - a school that is in a tricky spot regarding realignment.
Yormark is a BB guy, and would love to add UCONN and Duke, but the FB value of those two schools is awful. As far as losing schools, his only worry is Kansas.
UNLV and SDSU fans seem to think they add value. I think that OSU sees themselves as more valuable than they are, and more valuable than WSU. That said, I agree with what you say here. No reason for the Big-12 to look our way. Am looking at a US map. We are way out yonder,

I personally don't think the Grant of Media Rights is "revokable" like FSU is arguing. FSU wants out. Clemson too.

With this in mind, i think you see FSU and Clemson to the SEC if ESPN wants it.

ESPN is "all in" with SEC, rumor is Saban is going to on GameDay and replace the WWE blow hard and having games vs Clemson and FSU are more attractive than Vanderbilt, Arkansas and Miss. State to a national audience.

UNLV and SDSU fans seem to think they add value. I think that OSU sees themselves as more valuable than they are, and more valuable than WSU. That said, I agree with what you say here. No reason for the Big-12 to look our way. Am looking at a US map. We are way out yonder,
I agree, the attitude I get around here from beaver fans is that they are indeed moe valuable and would big time us in a heartbeat, if they could. delusions

I agree, the attitude I get around here from beaver fans is that they are indeed moe valuable and would big time us in a heartbeat, if they could. delusions

Sadly for the Beavs, I've seen several "brand prestige" rankings on the interwebs in the past month and they are always below WSU in those rankings. We are never high on those lists....but they are always near the bottom.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT