ADVERTISEMENT

Students

Coug90

Hall Of Fame
Jan 17, 2012
flunk them all. This is a pathetic showing. Hope the rest of the crowd can make up for our pansy ass Gen Zers. Show up for AC!!

Student side was lean, but I thought alumni turnout on the south side was pretty darn good, all things considered. Blue hairs were pretty fired up too.

Reactions: 79COUG
My god the whining over on Die Hard Cougs about the alumni shaming the students for not attending the game lol....

I'd rather have a 3/4 full stadium and the energy/noise we had last night than some of the quiet yet full stadiums we've seen in past years. A helluva lot of that energy comes from the north side of the stadium. Coug fans are doing a good job of making Martin a tough place to play, so I find it hard to bitch about students.

Reactions: HCoug and walzuu
Look there are only what 6/7/8 homes games maximum every year. That is it. As a student you have only 6-8 opportunities total. TOTAL to be a part of a memorable event that you can share with 40k other people. That you were there when it happened. That you watched it live.

6-8 chances. To be a part of something historic. To connect with 40k other people that you were there. You cheered, you sang, with them all.

Those people at the Arizona game got to watch a possible Heisman finalist throw 7 TDs on a chilly night in Pullman breaking a school record and giving Arizona the worst beating in half of football in 100 years.

They got that experience. They got that memory. They can tell that story to their kids and their grand kids every single year WSU plays Arizona. I saw a Coug with a mustache throw for 7 TDs against them and absolutely destroy them live in Pullman. I was there. It was amazing. We had 55 points by Halftime...by Halftime.

Those people in the stands have that memory. The students that left and didn’t show can never say that. “I went home for winter break” watched in on TV like all the people who couldn’t get there.

Reactions: mikalalas
Look there are only what 6/7/8 homes games maximum every year. That is it. As a student you have only 6-8 opportunities total. TOTAL to be a part of a memorable event that you can share with 40k other people. That you were there when it happened. That you watched it live.

6-8 chances. To be a part of something historic. To connect with 40k other people that you were there. You cheered, you sang, with them all.

Those people at the Arizona game got to watch a possible Heisman finalist throw 7 TDs on a chilly night in Pullman breaking a school record and giving Arizona the worst beating in half of football in 100 years.

They got that experience. They got that memory. They can tell that story to their kids and their grand kids every single year WSU plays Arizona. I saw a Coug with a mustache throw for 7 TDs against them and absolutely destroy them live in Pullman. I was there. It was amazing. We had 55 points by Halftime...by Halftime.

Those people in the stands have that memory. The students that left and didn’t show can never say that. “I went home for winter break” watched in on TV like all the people who couldn’t get there.
Which is EXACTLY why I went last night.
A game that will be talked about for many years to come.

Getting some laundry done and hooking up with the high school significant other isn't part of WSU's mission.
Truth be told the concern shouldn’t be how I or people on Die Hard Cougs bore it, but rather the AD and the coaching staff have given us something special and we turn out 22k .

It all depends how important attendance is to the coach . These are inherent problems with our school the schedule and our fan base.

I read that the dorms and even some Greek houses close for break. If so, what are the students supposed to do?

Reactions: HCoug
I read that the dorms and even some Greek houses close for break. If so, what are the students supposed to do?
That sucks. Back in my day, the dorm I lived in stayed open through Sunday morning (apple cup was played the weekend before thanksgiving break back then) so the students could go to the game and crash in the dorm before hitting the road on sunday morning.

Truth be told the concern shouldn’t be how I or people on Die Hard Cougs bore it, but rather the AD and the coaching staff have given us something special and we turn out 22k .

It all depends how important attendance is to the coach . These are inherent problems with our school the schedule and our fan base.

Ed - I don't know how "the AD" has had anything to do with the 2018 WSU Football team.

Fab - It was stated elsewhere that the dorms were going to stay open for "break". While I doubt that, I'm pretty sure that they were to stay open until Sunday, and I presume that they will open on Friday due to Apple Cup.

I had to go look up the box score to confirm the 22K (22,400) attendance because that surprised me. And it looked to me like the student seats were at lest half full (79 or someone else who was there?). So that is let's say 5000 missing butts or less. So the other 5,500+ missing butts were not the students. and need I remind others that many, many games over the years have featured a full or nearly full student section accompanied by a half full reserved side. So the students are not to blame here. Or at most half to blame.

I could have gone. I chose not to drive 300+ miles to do so. So shoot me.

Reactions: 79COUG and HCoug
Ed - I don't know how "the AD" has had anything to do with the 2018 WSU Football team.

Fab - It was stated elsewhere that the dorms were going to stay open for "break". While I doubt that, I'm pretty sure that they were to stay open until Sunday, and I presume that they will open on Friday due to Apple Cup.

I had to go look up the box score to confirm the 22K (22,400) attendance because that surprised me. And it looked to me like the student seats were at lest half full (79 or someone else who was there?). So that is let's say 5000 missing butts or less. So the other 5,500+ missing butts were not the students. and need I remind others that many, many games over the years have featured a full or nearly full student section accompanied by a half full reserved side. So the students are not to blame here. Or at most half to blame.

I could have gone. I chose not to drive 300+ miles to do so. So shoot me.
Student section was MAYBE at 25%. Blue hair side was probably 70-75%. At least that's how I saw it.

I'd rather have a 3/4 full stadium and the energy/noise we had last night than some of the quiet yet full stadiums we've seen in past years. A helluva lot of that energy comes from the north side of the stadium. Coug fans are doing a good job of making Martin a tough place to play, so I find it hard to bitch about students.

Agree. Some students prioritize planned family holiday commitments over football, and the commitments often extend into the weekends. Some have previously arranged for jobs at home during the holidays. Some without cars need to travel and return on a schedule dictated by others.

The students have generally done a good job of supporting the Cougs this year. I’ve seen more alumni leaving the games early and returning late after halftime this year than students. Instead of criticizing students without knowing their personal circumstances, we should make sure we personally do whatever we can to maximize game attendance. That can be done even from a distance by buying and donating tickets for games such as Arizona, which was not sold out.

I hope this is not true. This is something that needs to be looked at if so. It sure seems like attendance is important to Pat not only from a revenue perspective but also understanding the role sold out loud stadiums play in success at home. I would think between pat and Schultz they could figure out the logistics of having residence halls open one more night when there’s a game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT