ADVERTISEMENT

Stupid NFL Playoff scheduling

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
Ok so today we have Houston at Baltimore at 4:30 local time. Why so late? It'll be a bit chilly that late. Sunday's early game is at 3PM - in a dome! Late Saturday game at 5:15 in San Fran - OK not that bad, supposed to be in the 50's.

Then Sunday, Bucs at Detroit at 3PM in their indoor stadium. But the late game, KC at Buffalo, starts at 6:30? wh wh wh why? Wouldn't it make more sense to have that be the early game?

Ok so today we have Houston at Baltimore at 4:30 local time. Why so late? It'll be a bit chilly that late. Sunday's early game is at 3PM - in a dome! Late Saturday game at 5:15 in San Fran - OK not that bad, supposed to be in the 50's.

Then Sunday, Bucs at Detroit at 3PM in their indoor stadium. But the late game, KC at Buffalo, starts at 6:30? wh wh wh why? Wouldn't it make more sense to have that be the early game?
Tell you what’s even more stupid. Chiefs play last Saturday Buffalo played Monday. Chiefs get two additional days rest. F’in stupid considering they are the lower seed.

Tell you what’s even more stupid. Chiefs play last Saturday Buffalo played Monday. Chiefs get two additional days rest. F’in stupid considering they are the lower seed.
Is it though? Is it?

Nothing is gonna draw viewers like some TayTay at the gamegame! So the longer the Chiefs stick around, the better it is for Goddell's pocketbook!

Look, I have no problems with the "hey, look who's in the suite" or "there's Swift, supporting her bf Kelce" during the game... but a full fcking camera crew tracking her every move, arrival and departure, what she's wearing, getting her idiot fcking opinion on anything football? A fcking vignette on her custom jacket? GTFO here with all of that.

Reactions: ATACFD and Coug90

Easy. Viewership.

Neither Houston or Baltimore has a significant market out of their region. San Francisco and Green Bay both have more, so they get the prime time slot. SF/GB also probably has slightly less draw to TVs in the eastern time zone.

Bucs and Lions, same scenario. No large national market. Lions get a bit of the feel-good-story market since they’re a perennial loser, but the national draw is relatively small. KC/Buffalo don’t by themselves have big market draw, but they’ve played some wild games in the last few years and could pull eyes just based on that. In addition…Taylor is a factor. She pulls a completely different audience, and they’ve put that in the timeslot that let’s all of her disciples tune in.

Easy. Viewership.

Neither Houston or Baltimore has a significant market out of their region. San Francisco and Green Bay both have more, so they get the prime time slot. SF/GB also probably has slightly less draw to TVs in the eastern time zone.

Bucs and Lions, same scenario. No large national market. Lions get a bit of the feel-good-story market since they’re a perennial loser, but the national draw is relatively small. KC/Buffalo don’t by themselves have big market draw, but they’ve played some wild games in the last few years and could pull eyes just based on that. In addition…Taylor is a factor. She pulls a completely different audience, and they’ve put that in the timeslot that let’s all of her disciples tune in.
Yeah F the players and the actual attending fans. I'm actually looking forward to all these games, and I'm not much of a pro football fan. A lot of good story lines. Top to bottom, my preferences for who wins:
Buffalo
Detroit and TB (Tie)
Green Bay
Houston
SF
KC
Baltimore

Is it though? Is it?

Nothing is gonna draw viewers like some TayTay at the gamegame! So the longer the Chiefs stick around, the better it is for Goddell's pocketbook!

Look, I have no problems with the "hey, look who's in the suite" or "there's Swift, supporting her bf Kelce" during the game... but a full fcking camera crew tracking her every move, arrival and departure, what she's wearing, getting her idiot fcking opinion on anything football? A fcking vignette on her custom jacket? GTFO here with all of that.
It sucks that sports are no longer just about sports. Now it's about money, and social justice, and being seen, and TV over attendance, etc. "They" are wringing all the joy out of sports.

Just read an article yesterday where the fabled Sports Illustrated magazine is going broke after 80+ years. They blame it primarily on going woke. Too bad for the classic publication.

Reactions: Cougini5591
Is it though? Is it?

Swifty Bowl 1 incoming. Book it.

It sucks that sports are no longer just about sports. Now it's about money, and social justice, and being seen, and TV over attendance, etc. "They" are wringing all the joy out of sports.

Just read an article yesterday where the fabled Sports Illustrated magazine is going broke after 80+ years. They blame it primarily on going woke. Too bad for the classic publication.
ESPN the mag killed SI the minute they came on the scene. Not sure what happened over at SI, but their self-importance was their undoing.

Do kids even read magazines anymore? Even digital ones? I signed up for The Athletic for a year and I find digital content hard to read, especially in long format. The constant ads and banners everywhere, even though I'm a paid customer, are just distracting.

Sports illustrated was overrated as far as "sports journalism" and focusing on sports goes. Their top-selling issue each year had zero to do with sports, which refutes your claim that "sports are no longer about sports" specifically regarding SI.

Sports has really never just been about sports. There has always been a "have" vs "have not" element, who was allowed to participate and labor issues involving proper compensation that paralleled real life socioeconomic issues.

It all depends on your political persuasion, I suppose as to what one thinks should and shouldn't be discussed. Combat sports are ripe with dumbfvck$ bringing their personal ideology having nothing to do whatsoever with the actual sport. And there it gets platformed as a promotion for selling tickets. But the MAGAtards don't seem to mind it there. That's all I have to say about that.

I don't know why, but she just strikes me as a tw@t. Not a very nice person.

I could be wrong. Maybe its just her r.b.f. Not sure, but suffice it to say that I'm not a big fan.
How so? She seems to have done a brilliant job of staying out of meaningful controversy and maintaining relevance for nearly a decade and a half. Very hard to do for pop singers. I see her as a fairly positive being.

How so? She seems to have done a brilliant job of staying out of meaningful controversy and maintaining relevance for nearly a decade and a half. Very hard to do for pop singers. I see her as a fairly positive being.
My first sentence pretty much summed it up: "I don't know why".

I have zero love or appreciation for her brand of music, but she's one among thousands of artists creating empty, formulaic bubblegum pop/ country yet I don't have as much disdain for anyone else specifically. Maybe she's just the figurehead for what I see that is wrong with music.

Fwiw, I suspect that she is vastly more talented than her music would make anyone believe, which might be part of what bugs me about her; she wastes her talent writing and singing mind-numbing teenie bopper junk. Hell, even Madonna evolved eventually and she has 1/10th the talent of Swift.

And before someone chimes in with the "you sure know a lot about someone you supposedly dislike so much" -
a) she's pretty ubiquitous and hard to avoid entirely
b) I'm married to a fan of her music.

Yeah F the players and the actual attending fans. I'm actually looking forward to all these games, and I'm not much of a pro football fan. A lot of good story lines. Top to bottom, my preferences for who wins:
Buffalo
Detroit and TB (Tie)
Green Bay
Houston
SF
KC
Baltimore
I don’t really care that much, but I’m kind of rooting for the Lions. Underdog story and all that. Maybe it’s just because I had St. Brown and LaPorta on my fantasy team, and they were a big part of my championship run. Although…I have McCaffrey too, and if they make the Super Bowl I probably won’t even watch.

Reactions: BleedCrimsonandGray
My first sentence pretty much summed it up: "I don't know why".

I have zero love or appreciation for her brand of music, but she's one among thousands of artists creating empty, formulaic bubblegum pop/ country yet I don't have as much disdain for anyone else specifically. Maybe she's just the figurehead for what I see that is wrong with music.

Fwiw, I suspect that she is vastly more talented than her music would make anyone believe, which might be part of what bugs me about her; she wastes her talent writing and singing mind-numbing teenie bopper junk. Hell, even Madonna evolved eventually and she has 1/10th the talent of Swift.

And before someone chimes in with the "you sure know a lot about someone you supposedly dislike so much" -
a) she's pretty ubiquitous and hard to avoid entirely
b) I'm married to a fan of her music.
Well I'm not a customer of her music, but I have seen enough of her performances throughout the years (particularly her recent concert music) to develop a huge appreciation of her talent.

She's a freaking unicorn. There is no one like her currently and might not ever again in our lifetimes. Dolly Parton is probably a comp to her.

Here's why I say that: a lot of people can sing, but they can't write songs, or music. She can. Or they can write songs and music, but they can't sing. Or they can do all three, but they can't play an instrument. She can (at least two, in fact) or they can do all but they cant dance - she can. Or they can all that but they are not marketable (ugly, fat -whatever) she clearly is neither of those. In fact she's also likely the most photogenic women on the planet (along with Kate Middleton). She checks every box that no one else does.

Most other artists also lack business savvy and make poor decisions with their economy or their reputations through damaging behaviors or PR blunders. Not her. She's pretty much self-created and entire billion dollar business empire beginning when she was a mid-teen. She's ridiculous. She even reinvented herself to an entirely new music genre without leaving or alienating her original one. Her lyrics are not just teenie-bopper stuff. There is depth and lots of storytelling in them. She directs and produces her own shit and created her own production company. But no, I don't own any of her music. When you are in the midst of a multi-generational spanning talent (Michael Jordan, Tom Brady) you just have to appreciate it, even if you're not a fan. Taihtsat

Well I'm not a customer of her music, but I have seen enough of her performances throughout the years (particularly her recent concert music) to develop a huge appreciation of her talent.

She's a freaking unicorn. There is no one like her currently and might not ever again in our lifetimes. Dolly Parton is probably a comp to her.

Here's why I say that: a lot of people can sing, but they can't write songs, or music. She can. Or they can write songs and music, but they can't sing. Or they can do all three, but they can't play an instrument. She can (at least two, in fact) or they can do all but they cant dance - she can. Or they can all that but they are not marketable (ugly, fat -whatever) she clearly is neither of those. In fact she's also likely the most photogenic women on the planet (along with Kate Middleton). She checks every box that no one else does.

Most other artists also lack business savvy and make poor decisions with their economy or their reputations through damaging behaviors or PR blunders. Not her. She's pretty much self-created and entire billion dollar business empire beginning when she was a mid-teen. She's ridiculous. She even reinvented herself to an entirely new music genre without leaving or alienating her original one. Her lyrics are not just teenie-bopper stuff. There is depth and lots of storytelling in them. She directs and produces her own shit and created her own production company. But no, I don't own any of her music. When you are in the midst of a multi-generational spanning talent (Michael Jordan, Tom Brady) you just have to appreciate it, even if you're not a fan. Taihtsat
I don't really consider her an extraordinary vocal talent. She hits all the notes and has a pleasant tonality to her voice but, from what I've heard, she doesn't have extraordinary range. Or maybe she does and is limited by what she writes... who knows.

And sorry, if your library is overwhelmingly (still) breakup/ relationship themed, its teeny-bopper bubblegum bullshit. Most of us grow up and settle down and have mature relationships - this appeals directly to those still immature emotionally and mentally. She's 34 ffs.

I don't really consider her an extraordinary vocal talent. She hits all the notes and has a pleasant tonality to her voice but, from what I've heard, she doesn't have extraordinary range. Or maybe she does and is limited by what she writes... who knows.

And sorry, if your library is overwhelmingly (still) breakup/ relationship themed, its teeny-bopper bubblegum bullshit. Most of us grow up and settle down and have mature relationships - this appeals directly to those still immature emotionally and mentally. She's 34 ffs.
Not sure why, but she looks like she stinks.

To this, my response is that she knows her audience and what they want to hear. Breakups and revenge stories are the bread and butter, and as long as it sells, there’s no real reason to change. And really, if you look at music across all genres and all ages, breakups and revenge are pretty common themes.

My other observation is that she may be the best I’ve seen at maintaining and cultivating connection with her fans. Part of that is staying away from controversy, but she manages to be relatable to a really broad swath of the potential audience.

It probably helps also that she doesn’t look like she’s 34. The pre-teen, teenage and college girls still connect with her, and their moms either grew up with her or haven’t been alienated by her.

Like someone said, she’s turned herself into an industry. She knows the audience, the product, and how to manage it. I’m personally not a fan of her music (I’m curious though…I’ve heard from dads in their 40s and 50s who took daughters to her concerts and said that she puts on a hell of a show), but the way she’s been able to continue rising and getting bigger for going on 20 years is pretty incredible.

To this, my response is that she knows her audience and what they want to hear. Breakups and revenge stories are the bread and butter, and as long as it sells, there’s no real reason to change. And really, if you look at music across all genres and all ages, breakups and revenge are pretty common themes.

My other observation is that she may be the best I’ve seen at maintaining and cultivating connection with her fans. Part of that is staying away from controversy, but she manages to be relatable to a really broad swath of the potential audience.

It probably helps also that she doesn’t look like she’s 34. The pre-teen, teenage and college girls still connect with her, and their moms either grew up with her or haven’t been alienated by her.

Like someone said, she’s turned herself into an industry. She knows the audience, the product, and how to manage it. I’m personally not a fan of her music (I’m curious though…I’ve heard from dads in their 40s and 50s who took daughters to her concerts and said that she puts on a hell of a show), but the way she’s been able to continue rising and getting bigger for going on 20 years is pretty incredible.
It's Bruce Springsteen like with 3.5+ hour show. And you are correct, the music business would be dead without relationship/breakup songs. The Beatles never woulda been without that part of their journey. Taihtsat

It's Bruce Springsteen like with 3.5+ hour show. And you are correct, the music business would be dead without relationship/breakup songs. The Beatles never woulda been without that part of their journey. Taihtsat
She is not the Beatles, save for being a sales/popularity juggernaut. I doubt anyone will ever consider her one of the greatest artists of all time at this point based soley on her music for music's sake. I'll give the benefit of the doubt and let time tell, but the Beatle had done all they were going to do before they were 30, and then went on to have solo careers that continued to be musically relevant.

Yeah I’ve got no problem with her. She’s talented and I think her version of girly pop has more substance to it than some of the pop stars that came before her. She’s been very generous with her staff and seems to avoid drama which is hard to do being that famous. It’s not her fault she’s constantly got the cameras on her when she’s at the games. Surely the nfl loves its new audience though

She is not the Beatles, save for being a sales/popularity juggernaut. I doubt anyone will ever consider her one of the greatest artists of all time at this point based soley on her music for music's sake. I'll give the benefit of the doubt and let time tell, but the Beatle had done all they were going to do before they were 30, and then went on to have solo careers that continued to be musically relevant.
I know the Beatles are the standard, but…meh. For the most part, I change the channel when they come on.

Reactions: Coug90
Same. Iconic band of their time I get it but I don’t listen to them.
Romantic and breakup songs. Love songs in general. As someone else said, yes all ages and all genres. Male and female. Aerosmith - Angel. EC - Layla. And so on. Go listen to a country station for an hour, and bring your hanky.

This Anderson Cooper segment is pretty funny and pretty ridiculous. How does any man (even a gay one) not know who the Green Bay Packers are?

And this leads to a further rant. Granted I have more time on my hands that many, but the first and last things that I do every day is read the news and sports on my computer. Not TV, not my phone. And not just CNN and ESPN. But American society is so ill-read, and what is read is sooo bad and always biased. I have an older buddy. He doesn't have a computer. He gets all of what little shit he gets off of weird links he visits with his phone. I've told him to quit sending me that shit.

Last edited:
I guess I'll diverge a bit from the prevailing opinion. I don't think you can look at what she has accomplished without recognizing that she may be the smartest performer since Madonna...

NFL related but off subject....
If the Lions make the Superbowl they should give Barry Sanders a one day contract and let him carry the ball one play. I know, would never happen but would be so cool if it did!

So you think Buffalo should get a short week instead?

So you think Buffalo should get a short week instead?
Buffalo does have the short week. And the Chiefs got an extra day. So they have a 2 day rest advantage which is substantial. They could easily plan schedules that 1. Give all of the winning teams a full 7 days between games and/or 2. Not have a team get a 2 day rest advantage over another team. The Monday games F it up. Maybe under normal circumstances that would happen if Buffalo hadn’t had to change their game to Monday. Still shitty it worked out that way.

Buffalo does have the short week. And the Chiefs got an extra day. So they have a 2 day rest advantage which is substantial. They could easily plan schedules that 1. Give all of the winning teams a full 7 days between games and/or 2. Not have a team get a 2 day rest advantage over another team. The Monday games F it up. Maybe under normal circumstances that would happen if Buffalo hadn’t had to change their game to Monday. Still shitty it worked out that way.
Well the schedules are already set. Buffalo only lost a day because of the ridiculous weather event otherwise it woulda been just fine. Taihtsat

AFC teams should all play on one day and NFC teams should all play the other weekend day. That way there is not an advantage for one team until the Super Bowl, and the gap between the conference title games and the Super Bowl is long enough to minimize that effect. Alternate every year which conference plays on Saturday.

Simple, sensible, which means they will never do it, because, you know..........MONEY!

AFC teams should all play on one day and NFC teams should all play the other weekend day. That way there is not an advantage for one team until the Super Bowl, and the gap between the conference title games and the Super Bowl is long enough to minimize that effect. Alternate every year which conference plays on Saturday.

Simple, sensible, which means they will never do it, because, you know..........MONEY!
Games Saturday and Sunday on Championship weekend would rock.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT