ADVERTISEMENT

Submitted without comment

ASU (2-7) offense scoring 2023

Stanford (3-6) defense pts allowed 2023

That's all I have to say about that
That last sentence is a comment, smarty pants.

I haven't watched a game since Oregon because I'd have to hunt for it after the fact, and everything seems to say that the team has quit. So if the players have stopped caring, I have no reason to.

Reactions: OrangeGravy
Makes me wonder what happened during the bye week. Before that they could play with most anyone and now they are the worst team in the PAC12 who aren’t even trying.

Makes me wonder what happened during the bye week. Before that they could play with most anyone and now they are the worst team in the PAC12 who aren’t even trying.

I'm running with the idea that we have 30 or so guys that are leaving and they just aren't playing as a team anymore. I also think that Ward is the biggest problem. The offensive line isn't helping things, but I think he's all arm and nothing much else. Watching him throw reminds me of the Josh Swogger days. Dude can throw a 95 mph fastball but just doesn't know how to make all the other throws consistently. Of course, Ward has even worse pocket presence than Swogger did and routinely spins around randomly and losing sight downfield.

Other than some stupid pass interference issues, the defense played well enough yesterday to win. The Stanford loss is 100% on Arbuckle, Dickert and Ward as far as I'm concerned.

Reactions: spongeandshoot
I'm running with the idea that we have 30 or so guys that are leaving and they just aren't playing as a team anymore. I also think that Ward is the biggest problem. The offensive line isn't helping things, but I think he's all arm and nothing much else. Watching him throw reminds me of the Josh Swogger days. Dude can throw a 95 mph fastball but just doesn't know how to make all the other throws consistently. Of course, Ward has even worse pocket presence than Swogger did and routinely spins around randomly and losing sight downfield.

Other than some stupid pass interference issues, the defense played well enough yesterday to win. The Stanford loss is 100% on Arbuckle, Dickert and Ward as far as I'm concerned.
The OLine is suspect and Ward completely giving away all the gains he made over the offseason and reverting to bad habits is the biggest problem. Ward makes the line worse. They already have a tough enough time giving him a pocket, when they do he gets happy feet and it’s game over other than the occasional Houdini spectacular play…but there’s 10 sacks and 5 throwaways for every one of those.

He got rattled against UCLA and hasn’t been the same. That and having zero running game.

I blame Pat Mahomes. Kids think the best way to deliver a football is sidearm on the run, which for most is probably the absolute worst way to throw a football (and be successful.) Its really fcking bad for the sport, and now coaches have become sycophants who are too afraid to tell their kid the truth (they aren't pat mahomes) and get them to be fundamentally sound.

Don't get me wrong - if it were working I'd be all for it, but Cam has enough problems finding open receivers without then having to add accuracy challenges on top of it.

I've heard from multiple sources -- people I have found reliable in the past, who either are or know players' parents, etc. -- for most of the season, but especially around the bye week (which is about when it became about 100% clear the Big 12 invite, always low-probability, was exceedingly unlikely), that if WSU wasn't playing in P5 next year, a ton of guys were looking to transfer. I don't have specific numbers but the adjectives I have heard have been, e.g., "tons" or "a shitload." I wouldn't be surprised if it's 30, as you surmise, or even more. Just about everyone on the roster thinks he's a P5 player, either currently or with the talent to develop into one (in the case of freshmen, etc.), regardless of how accurate that may be objectively.

I've heard from multiple sources -- people I have found reliable in the past, who either are or know players' parents, etc. -- for most of the season, but especially around the bye week (which is about when it became about 100% clear the Big 12 invite, always low-probability, was exceedingly unlikely), that if WSU wasn't playing in P5 next year, a ton of guys were looking to transfer. I don't have specific numbers but the adjectives I have heard have been, e.g., "tons" or "a shitload." I wouldn't be surprised if it's 30, as you surmise, or even more. Just about everyone on the roster thinks he's a P5 player, either currently or with the talent to develop into one (in the case of freshmen, etc.), regardless of how accurate that may be objectively.
That may be true -

But, honestly, aside from a handful, how many players from a squad that has lost 5 (and counting) in a row are going to be gobbled up by P5 schools? 4, maybe 5?

There may be 30 trying to transfer but there has to be homes for 30 transfers - and they are competing with every other disgruntled P5 player in the country. Let alone all the FCS guys who are looking to move up.

It's not a whole lot different than scrapping for a spot as a P5 school. And we all know how that turned out for WSU and OSU.

Completely understandable. Begs the question though and been brought up before…what’s OSU doing differently, they are in the exact same situation and are 6 points away from being undefeated. Better team leadership? Coaches have players bought in more? Why didn’t they tank after they lost to us?

Completely understandable. Begs the question though and been brought up before…what’s OSU doing differently, they are in the exact same situation and are 6 points away from being undefeated. Better team leadership? Coaches have players bought in more? Why didn’t they tank after they lost to us?
OSU hasn't had three head coaches since 2019. Makes a difference.

And I'm sure OSU will have portal departures, just like every other school does. It's the number that's the issue.

I think finishing 10-3 with a win in the Las Vegas Bowl has the players in their program feeling a lot more confidence and pride in their program.

I know that some people still like Rolovich but that man poisoned the well for our program by making it clear that he valued himself a lot more than he valued the program. We've got a lot of kids who look back at the last few years and see people bailing when things didn't suit them. Rolovich bailed, JDL quit at halftime of the Sun Bowl, we had multiple starters skip the last two bowl games under the delusion that they were going to be saving themselves for the NFL. Dickert's biggest failing right now is not instilling a culture where that's unacceptable.

We'll see how things turn out, but he's got to figure out how to make these kids understand that the most important thing to do before you are ready to move on is to honor your obligations that you have in place. Right now, WSU has an every man for himself culture compared to OSU....or at least that's how I see it.

Reactions: Wazzubrooz
That may be true -

But, honestly, aside from a handful, how many players from a squad that has lost 5 (and counting) in a row are going to be gobbled up by P5 schools? 4, maybe 5?

There may be 30 trying to transfer but there has to be homes for 30 transfers - and they are competing with every other disgruntled P5 player in the country. Let alone all the FCS guys who are looking to move up.

It's not a whole lot different than scrapping for a spot as a P5 school. And we all know how that turned out for WSU and OSU.
I hear you on that, but I don't think it helps with the current situation if the reality is something close to what Flat was speculating about (30 guys who are checked out or actively disillusioned and thinking more about where they'll be playing next year).

Also, I believe the way the portal works is these guys enter their names, the university can cut them at that point, but the university can take them back if the player wants that and the university agrees. There are a lot of questions there, though, even if, say, only 8 of the players are good enough to find homes in P5 or somewhere like a G of 5 spot close to home. Is Dickert even still the coach at that point, and if he is, does he want to take back all those guys? How many of these guys were "smart" enough to test the waters on potential landing spots via a proxy, or were tampered with, so they knew they had a place they were wanted? Some coaches just pull the plug, but that becomes a different proposition in multiple ways, good and bad, when it's an unusually large volume of guys in the portal.

I agree. Like I said in another thread, Ward has more yards than Barry Sanders when you tally up East-West yards.

I think we will be a cautionary tale to future kids across the country thinking about entering the transfer portal. They will see how often it doesn't work out and will probably make them think twice about it.

As for Oregon State, they have an identity and a culture.

They are going to run the ball down your throat and take your milk money.

What is our identity?

Staring at the sideline while an Oregon running back runs right for a touchdown?

Reactions: justinbgocougs
I think finishing 10-3 with a win in the Las Vegas Bowl has the players in their program feeling a lot more confidence and pride in their program.

I know that some people still like Rolovich but that man poisoned the well for our program by making it clear that he valued himself a lot more than he valued the program. We've got a lot of kids who look back at the last few years and see people bailing when things didn't suit them. Rolovich bailed, JDL quit at halftime of the Sun Bowl, we had multiple starters skip the last two bowl games under the delusion that they were going to be saving themselves for the NFL. Dickert's biggest failing right now is not instilling a culture where that's unacceptable.

We'll see how things turn out, but he's got to figure out how to make these kids understand that the most important thing to do before you are ready to move on is to honor your obligations that you have in place. Right now, WSU has an every man for himself culture compared to OSU....or at least that's how I see it.
Hard to say. I get the argument he hasn’t been around long enough…not as long as Smith. I’ve also seen the guy in action, and he strikes me as a leader of men (laugh all you want I know we are in the dumps now, just my casual observation). Stone and Jackson came back…that spoke volumes about him IMO. If Dickert was a shitty leader, they both would have portaled out or took a shot at the league.

Sometimes Im not sure there is that one thing. Feel like there’s a lot of variables here. And while things look really dark, I still wouldn’t be shocked if we turned a switch and won the last 3 games. I think at this point anything’s possible with this team.

I think we will be a cautionary tale to future kids across the country thinking about entering the transfer portal. They will see how often it doesn't work out and will probably make them think twice about it.

As for Oregon State, they have an identity and a culture.

They are going to run the ball down your throat and take your milk money.

What is our identity?

Staring at the sideline while an Oregon running back runs right for a touchdown?
To be fair, Richardson got ear holed before the RB got close to him.

Hard to say. I get the argument he hasn’t been around long enough…not as long as Smith. I’ve also seen the guy in action, and he strikes me as a leader of men (laugh all you want I know we are in the dumps now, just my casual observation). Stone and Jackson came back…that spoke volumes about him IMO. If Dickert was a shitty leader, they both would have portaled out or took a shot at the league.

Sometimes Im not sure there is that one thing. Feel like there’s a lot of variables here. And while things look really dark, I still wouldn’t be shocked if we turned a switch and won the last 3 games. I think at this point anything’s possible with this team.

Personally, I'm still a fan of Dickert and don't want to see him go...but at the same time, he is the head coach and at some point, you are responsible for what happens on and off the field.

The suddenness is what gets me. The entire team lost its spark during the bye week, and ever since then I just don't see much effort or investment on the field.

Against Wisconsin and OSU, there was fight - even when they were catching up in the 2nd half, we were making them work for it. The offense even managed a late game scoring drive to put away OSU. Since then, there's little or no fight. They showed up for a while against Oregon, and then checked out. Haven't seen them since. Stanford was just pathetic.

The OLine is suspect and Ward completely giving away all the gains he made over the offseason and reverting to bad habits is the biggest problem. Ward makes the line worse. They already have a tough enough time giving him a pocket, when they do he gets happy feet and it’s game over other than the occasional Houdini spectacular play…but there’s 10 sacks and 5 throwaways for every one of those.

He got rattled against UCLA and hasn’t been the same. That and having zero running game.
Russell Wilson Jr.

Reactions: Coug90

who poisoned the well?...not Rolovich...he wanted to NOT take an unproven and dangerous vaxx and he was forced out.....blame chun....he was thinking being the big tough guy will show off good to bigger programs that wanted a hatchet man.....not keeping Rolovich because of his principles was the foundation of our problems today.......btw....there are major lawsuits going on NOW about the dangers of that damn vaxx or maybe think lots of teenagers and 30 somethings drop dead of cardiac arrest....

wsu blew it......just totally blew it....

who poisoned the well?...not Rolovich...he wanted to NOT take an unproven and dangerous vaxx and he was forced out.....blame chun....he was thinking being the big tough guy will show off good to bigger programs that wanted a hatchet man.....not keeping Rolovich because of his principles was the foundation of our problems today.......btw....there are major lawsuits going on NOW about the dangers of that damn vaxx or maybe think lots of teenagers and 30 somethings drop dead of cardiac arrest....

ffs do we really have to go there again? It was a state mandate. WSU is a state institution. Not Chun’s problem, WSU may have pink slipped him but he was a state employee by proxy. Rolo sucked as a coach. Was outscored 38-0 in the second half twice. Didn’t recruit, which is part of the reason we have a Swiss cheese OLine.

Argue all you want at this point about who’s better Rolo or Dickert after we’ve lost 5 straight, but Rolo made his choice that he wasn’t going to coach for WSU when he made his choice not to get vaxxed.

Reactions: random soul

Don't worry....I understand that he had his reasons. He didn't feel it was worth the risk and he chose to put his own beliefs ahead of the program and it's fine. Frankly, I don't give a sh!t whether he got the vaccine or not at this point. However, it was still a message to the players that they should put themselves ahead of the team too.

Like....maybe they should avoid the risk of getting injured in a bowl game and just abandon their teammates.

Oh Gawd - here we go again. I have had 4 vaxx's and might march down tomorrow and get #5.

All of the BS that you are spewing is just that - BS. Post some actual stories and facts about all these lawsuits and dead teenagers. bet cha $5 bucks that you cannot come up with one. F'ing Trump loving idiot. Do you actually have a degree from my alma mater?

Oh Gawd - here we go again. I have had 4 vaxx's and might march down tomorrow and get #5.

All of the BS that you are spewing is just that - BS. Post some actual stories and facts about all these lawsuits and dead teenagers. bet cha $5 bucks that you cannot come up with one.
You just begged for every muricapatriot.com article that was ever written on the subject loyal. Remember if you want to believe something bad enough there are 100 yahoos out there that will feed your beliefs to you through the SM app of your choosing.

You just begged for every muricapatriot.com article that was ever written on the subject loyal. Remember if you want to believe something bad enough there are 100 yahoos out there that will feed your beliefs to you through the SM app of your choosing.
Buddy, I can't get your muricapatriot site to load (shock). You got something to post or link? Let's see it.

And I do not do SM. I think this has been discussed elsewhere.

But, and this just gets mean, take your fistable wife out to dinner and stare at your f-ing phone reading SM.

Last edited:
Buddy, I can't get your muricapatriot site to load (shock). You got something to post or link? Let's see it.

And I do not do SM. I think this has been discussed elsewhere.

But, and this just gets mean, take your fistable wife out to dinner and stare at your f-ing phone reading SM.
Do you even know who you are quoting and responding to? NOT your adversary.

Reactions: OrangeGravy
How many times do I need to bang on this drum: Rolo was not a good coach.

I can't argue whether Rolo was a good coach. I don't really know. I do wish he had a couple of more years for the fact that he is a run and shoot guy. The RnS seems different enough from the Air Raid to make WSU unique. I dont think running the same offense as everyone else makes it easier to out athlete teams. The RnS may make game planning a bit different. In the end, I don't really know though.

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
I can't argue whether Rolo was a good coach. I don't really know. I do wish he had a couple of more years for the fact that he is a run and shoot guy. The RnS seems different enough from the Air Raid to make WSU unique. I dont think running the same offense as everyone else makes it easier to out athlete teams. The RnS may make game planning a bit different. In the end, I don't really know though.
I actually really like the run and shoot. It's kind of a triple option passing game, because a lot of the routes are read and react on the fly, particularly by the slot guys, so it can be super hard to defend. It's also more aggressive about attacking downfield and freeing up the middle for draw plays and slot receiver shenanigans. When the run and shoot cooks, it deep fries with chili. When it sputters, it looks as bad or worse than an outmanned Air Raid or option attack, because of the level of execution it demands. And because it's so niche now, it would be hard to gameplan against. The only NFL team that I saw consistently shut it down was Washington. But it really does demand a lot of your personnel. Go back and look at how stacked that Oilers team was in the early '90s. Only thing they were missing was a premier left tackle, and the defense had talent too. Warren Moon was a great fit, but he took an absolute pounding game after game.

A lack of club composure/cohesiveness, and an inability to grind out a couple first downs to seal a game killed them, along with Frank Reich and John Elway, who had several other victims.

The shocking thing for me has been the offense. I knew our defense would struggle. They were hanging on for dear life against Wisconsin (who just lost to Indiana) and Oregon State. What I didn't expect was the offense to completely disappear.

The internet has been buzzing about "something happening during the BYE," but I think it was the UCLA game that put the kibosh on the offense. All of the early turnovers and Ward under constant duress. Not only have we not been the same, we've been absolutely awful. The Stanford performance was disgraceful, and that falls squarely on Arbuckle and Ward. Dickert took on a "more involved role" with the defense leading up to Stanford, and it showed. The offense didn't. There's no excuse for losing that game.

I love the run and shoot and where we were heading with this offense but apparently it's not sustainable due to the lack of coaches available.

And yeah, if you aren't going to recruit lineman, then it doesn't matter.

I sure wish we would get away from the stupid air raid. Maybe get someone from DeBoers coaching tree or something

The R n S wasn’t going to go anywhere under Rolo. The guy couldn’t recruit, just look at our O line after Leach left. We went from a good O line to this years crappy, undermanned O line. It’s embarrassing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT