ADVERTISEMENT

The difference between Coug fans and KU fans

Flatlandcoug

Hall Of Fame
Aug 14, 2007
Wichita, Kansas
This past week, KU announced that they are getting ready to start a $300 million stadium renovation. The difference between KU and WSU is that they secured $125 million in private donations before they started the project. It's taken us 10 years to get enough donations to build a $20 million dollar indoor practice facility and they can raise 6x that much for their stadium in 10 months. Until WSU fans get serious about supporting the program, we are doomed to be second class citizens.

On a separate note, KU is reducing their stadium size from 47,000 to the lower 40,000 range. Contrary to what a certain has-been thinks, providing a top tier experience in a great facility is more important than meaningless dick measuring on overall stadium capacity.

Reactions: dJAMbosov
This past week, KU announced that they are getting ready to start a $300 million stadium renovation. The difference between KU and WSU is that they secured $125 million in private donations before they started the project. It's taken us 10 years to get enough donations to build a $20 million dollar indoor practice facility and they can raise 6x that much for their stadium in 10 months. Until WSU fans get serious about supporting the program, we are doomed to be second class citizens.

On a separate note, KU is reducing their stadium size from 47,000 to the lower 40,000 range. Contrary to what a certain has-been thinks, providing a top tier experience in a great facility is more important than meaningless dick measuring on overall stadium capacity.
Oh boy…I gotta feeling your mom is in for a rough weekend Flat.

Good information on the Jayhawks. Thanks Flat.

Now what can Dr. Schultz, Chun and WSU due to match some of what Kansas State has accomplished with its facilities and attendance?

What's the best way to turn a 7-season bowl streak into more revenue?

Last edited:

One of many comparisons one could throw out there.

I don't want to get in more flame wars but my position on the stadium capacity thing has been clear. It's not even questionable and never has been, and there are, again, numerous examples on that front, even in areas with much larger populations who feasibly could attend games.

Oh, and as for the bolded portion ... it's never going to happen. It just isn't. I can't imagine what would lead anyone to believe WSU could even achieve something like 15th percentile P5-level financial support from alumni, even if it remained P5 somehow. It's just mind-boggling. I will always love the Cougs but the likelihood of any kind of meaningful financial campaign is near-zero, and the only reason it isn't zero is the scant possibility some Coug will commercialize cold fusion or something.

I don't want to get in more flame wars but my position on the stadium capacity thing has been clear. It's not even questionable and never has been, and there are, again, numerous examples on that front, even in areas with much larger populations who feasibly could attend games.

Oh, and as for the bolded portion ... it's never going to happen. It just isn't. I can't imagine what would lead anyone to believe WSU could even achieve something like 15th percentile P5-level financial support from alumni, even if it remained P5 somehow. It's just mind-boggling. I will always love the Cougs but the likelihood of any kind of meaningful financial campaign is near-zero, and the only reason it isn't zero is the scant possibility some Coug will commercialize cold fusion or something.
Yes, we need the miracle of a huge difference making donor…T Boone Pickens, Phil Knight like.

IF the admin can pull out of their ass a way to keep us P5 either in the B12 or a quality rebuild of the P12 there should be some significant efforts on a funding campaign expanding on the tweet that wsudefense shared. Cougs don’t go away, Cougs stick together, give what you can to avoid this in the future, etc. It would be a huge win, bigger than any rose bowl appearance or top 10 finish and will need to be capitalized on.

Reactions: PeteTheChop

The founder of Nvidia is a Beav so there’s hope.

Now what can Dr. Schultz, Chun and WSU due to match some of what Kansas State has accomplished with its facilities and attendance?

I'm hoping that the current situation can be used to galvanize our fan base. We really need our football team to play well this season, because that, along with the insult of the current situation, might be the catalyst for our fans to care. It would be nice if someone like Paul Allen also felt that way.....

Great, but for our purposes here, that means jack shit. WSU needs something like Knight or Pickens, or at least Plank, to move the needle. I don't think people get how trifling WSU's fundraising is. I'm in Texas and these schools here can go out for money and get $100m in a year, maybe a week if we are talking UT and A&M. But even Texas Tech and the like have big money that is willing to donate for athletics, and even they are still small fry in the big picture. WSU isn't even a minnow.

Great, but for our purposes here, that means jack shit. WSU needs something like Knight or Pickens, or at least Plank, to move the needle. I don't think people get how trifling WSU's fundraising is. I'm in Texas and these schools here can go out for money and get $100m in a year, maybe a week if we are talking UT and A&M. But even Texas Tech and the like have big money that is willing to donate for athletics, and even they are still small fry in the big picture. WSU isn't even a minnow.
What part of TX?

Oh, I know. But right now I don't feel great about that if you catch my drift. We are adversarial to those guys in some respects.
Probably the anonymous donor who donated $50M for their stadium rebuild? If he cares about sports OSU could easily leave us in the dust.

Reminds me of Ross Perot when he was running for President emphasizing we need to be a country leading the world in computer chips, not potato chips. WSU is more focused on potato chips.

Probably the anonymous donor who donated $50M for their stadium rebuild? If he cares about sports OSU could easily leave us in the dust.

Reminds me of Ross Perot when he was running for President emphasizing we need to be a country leading the world in computer chips, not potato chips. WSU is more focused on potato chips.
Nothing wrong with potato chips. Nvidia or any company like it can go Boom, Bust, Boom, Bust within a decade. People are gonna buy potato chips for the next 500 years. If we had one proud Coug come up with the next great Consumer Staples product we’d be in good shape. Blows my mind when I see what companies like Cliff Bar fetch in the market. Come up with a marketable snack or beverage and you can be the Phil Knight of WSU with plenty left over.

Nothing wrong with potato chips. Nvidia or any company like it can go Boom, Bust, Boom, Bust within a decade. People are gonna buy potato chips for the next 500 years. If we had one proud Coug come up with the next great Consumer Staples product we’d be in good shape. Blows my mind when I see what companies like Cliff Bar fetch in the market. Come up with a marketable snack or beverage and you can be the Phil Knight of WSU with plenty left over.
I hear you, but NVIDIA, despite having hit a lull lately, is well over a trillion in market cap, nearing top-5 status of the biggest companies in the U.S. and about 7-8 times the size of Nike by that metric. Some might also argue a GPU maker is pretty good in terms of going-forward expected stability. Not like they are making a metaverse or some nonsense. Sure, generative and other forms of AI probably are going to go through some kind of disillusionment phase in the hype cycle, but there is still a lot with the fundamental business (gaming, etc.) that isn't going anywhere. Biggest challenge will be in-house development.

But yeah, I'm all for anything that causes our alumni to make some real money and donate it. Just realize every other school has people who can make a CLIF bar kind of thing and sell it for a few billion dollars. (Not to minimize it.) WSU needs several of those or at least one legitimate whale.

Stop with the nepotism and ol' boys club and bring in new blood and train them that being a premium Coug comes at a premium. We're priced like a 2nd or 3rd tier program because that's what we are. I mean as far as results so is KU, but they value themselves as a premium program. I would imagine the gameday experience is far and away better than ours as well, but I'm sure I'll hear from the same ol folks about how great the fieldhouse cattle-car experience is because we all get tuned up and sing the fight song together.

Is Bezos’ x wife still a free agent? Any single guys willing to take one for the team?
Me Me Me. I think she's a sweety, and I'm sure I could outperform baldy Bezos and that schoolteacher. And to respond to a previous post, no on Biggs, he would squish her, :)

Me Me Me. I think she's a sweety, and I'm sure I could outperform baldy Bezos and that schoolteacher. And to respond to a previous post, no on Biggs, he would squish her, :)
I wouldn’t kick her out of bed money or not, she’s a good looking gal IMO. Biggs might not have much left in the tank for her after his tour de granny.

I wouldn’t kick her out of bed money or not, she’s a good looking gal IMO. Biggs might not have much left in the tank for her after his tour de granny.
Well if Biggs wants my mom he'll have to hump the urn that her ashes are in. And yeah she is a honeypie. Don't know WTF happened with her and the schoolteacher, after what a year? How do you F that up with a billionairess?

Well if Biggs wants my mom he'll have to hump the urn that her ashes are in. And yeah she is a honeypie. Don't know WTF happened with her and the schoolteacher, after what a year? How do you F that up with a billionairess?

She is taxidermied in my closet.

Stop with the nepotism and ol' boys club and bring in new blood and train them that being a premium Coug comes at a premium. We're priced like a 2nd or 3rd tier program because that's what we are. I mean as far as results so is KU, but they value themselves as a premium program. I would imagine the gameday experience is far and away better than ours as well, but I'm sure I'll hear from the same ol folks about how great the fieldhouse cattle-car experience is because we all get tuned up and sing the fight song together.
The other thing is, KU is the flagship univ of their state and have been a national power in basketball.

Reactions: 250vertical
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT