ADVERTISEMENT

The gap between the haves and have nots is about to widen if this becomes reality.

roses04

Hall Of Fame
Oct 4, 2003
A minimum of $30,000 per student athlete for financially well off schools, ( aka the rich bastards) ,this will create a new division within division one. I guess we all knew it was going to happen sooner or later.

$30,000 a year or more

A minimum of $30,000 per student athlete for financially well off schools, ( aka the rich bastards) ,this will create a new division within division one. I guess we all knew it was going to happen sooner or later.

$30,000 a year or more
Good lord. This Charlie Baker is worse than Emmert. Instead of trying to put the skids to this insanity, they want to make it worse?

Who the F is bribing this clown?

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
I could have seen something like this 20 or 25 years ago to get out in front of what has become the "wild west" of NIL. I'm trying to figure out the reason why this is being proposed at this point?

Unworkable effort to put the genie back into the bottle.

For one thing, NIL payments are independent of institutional structure and will be added on top every time an athlete is “worth more”.

Wilner had a pretty good write up on the subject which he’s calling a Hail Mary.

In reality, the eight or 10 schools that drive billion-dollar media deals are subsidizing everyone else.

Maybe there are just 8 or 10 schools driving eyeballs but the fact is, those 8 or 10 schools can't play one another over and over again, can they? They need Washington Generals to put a beatdown on to maintain their brand superiority.

Without opponents, can the game be played?

Reactions: PeteTheChop
In reality, the eight or 10 schools that drive billion-dollar media deals are subsidizing everyone else.

Maybe there are just 8 or 10 schools driving eyeballs but the fact is, those 8 or 10 schools can't play one another over and over again, can they? They need Washington Generals to put a beatdown on to maintain their brand superiority.

I agree. The 8-10 will not tolerate playing just each other, and ending up with a 7 or 8 win season.

However, this is part of the proposal: "and the subdivision could create its own competitive framework with regard to roster sizes and other policies." Let that sink in and consider what it means. The NCAA, the so-called governing body, is acknowledging that the big money schools will simply break away if they don't get their way.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
ron burgundy GIF

Stop paying coaches $2.7m to win 2 league games and you’ve found some money.

Stop paying ADs almost a million dollars and you’ve found more money.

Stop paying all these bloated salaries to your athletic department and voila! Money!

For a long time the adults got rich off the kids. Literally created generational wealth. And the kids want $30,000 per year?

Schools should be paying these kids. Schools, not fans/alums. The idea that the university or coach is going to blame fans for not paying the labor costs enough so they can win is ridiculous. The idea that a university is going to find itself counting on outside sources to pay its labor is equally ridiculous.

What happens if Robbie Toebeck woke up today, bought crypto with the WSU collective $$$, got on a plane to Rio de Janeiro and never came back??? Does WSU fire him? Do they even have access to the accounts that are paying their players?

Schools handing over the keys to what is essentially their payroll to a booster? lol what could go wrong!

A solution to all this madness is to cut roster sizes to 60. That will create more parity and there will be fewer transfers to the richer schools. Also, with a few exceptions, limit the number of transfers that a school can take.
Also give the original school a percentage of the money offered from the new school to a transfer. So if Cam Ward gets 2 million from Oregon, they could give us something like 500,000. After all, we found him and developed him. (Although some would argue that we haven’t developed him). Basically there should be some sort of compensation to the schools losing their star athletes. The bigger market schools shouldn’t be allowed to raid the smaller schools with no consequences at all.

The “super schools” otherwise are going to sign their own death warrant. Eventually. If money and power are going to be more and more concentrated only in the hands of a few schools football teams, the rest of the country is going to lose more interest, and eventually the media dollars will stop flowing there.

Stop paying coaches $2.7m to win 2 league games and you’ve found some money.

Stop paying ADs almost a million dollars and you’ve found more money.

Stop paying all these bloated salaries to your athletic department and voila! Money!

For a long time the adults got rich off the kids. Literally created generational wealth. And the kids want $30,000 per year?

Schools should be paying these kids. Schools, not fans/alums. The idea that the university or coach is going to blame fans for not paying the labor costs enough so they can win is ridiculous. The idea that a university is going to find itself counting on outside sources to pay its labor is equally ridiculous.

What happens if Robbie Toebeck woke up today, bought crypto with the WSU collective $$$, got on a plane to Rio de Janeiro and never came back??? Does WSU fire him? Do they even have access to the accounts that are paying their players?

Schools handing over the keys to what is essentially their payroll to a booster? lol what could go wrong!
You don't understand how contracts work.

The "kids" are not asking for $30,000 per year. That's an effort to comply with Title IX.

Scholarships, room and board, free academic counseling, and all the other stuff student-athletes receive is compensation, this is just about how much not if they are being paid.

Tobeck isn't employed by WSU.

A solution to all this madness is to cut roster sizes to 60. That will create more parity and there will be fewer transfers to the richer schools. Also, with a few exceptions, limit the number of transfers that a school can take.
Also give the original school a percentage of the money offered from the new school to a transfer. So if Cam Ward gets 2 million from Oregon, they could give us something like 500,000. After all, we found him and developed him. (Although some would argue that we haven’t developed him). Basically there should be some sort of compensation to the schools losing their star athletes. The bigger market schools shouldn’t be allowed to raid the smaller schools with no consequences at all.

The “super schools” otherwise are going to sign their own death warrant. Eventually. If money and power are going to be more and more concentrated only in the hands of a few schools football teams, the rest of the country is going to lose more interest, and eventually the media dollars will stop flowing there.
Cutting the scholarship won't really do it. If the portal and current transfer rules continue, free agency continues. I believe the annual cap is still 25. I'm not sure what limiting the annual cap to 18-20 will do either.

What would WSU have to pay a school like Nevada for a player like Henley?

You don't understand how contracts work.

The "kids" are not asking for $30,000 per year. That's an effort to comply with Title IX.

Scholarships, room and board, free academic counseling, and all the other stuff student-athletes receive is compensation, this is just about how much not if they are being paid.

Tobeck isn't employed by WSU.
Thanks for enlightening us about Tobeck. In other terms, no shit Sherlock. We aren't stupid. Drunk maybe. Although you seem to consistently imply that everyone is stupid but you.

Thanks for enlightening us about Tobeck. In other terms, no shit Sherlock. We aren't stupid. Drunk maybe. Although you seem to consistently imply that everyone is stupid but you.
You're welcome.

And talk to Biggs about stupidity since he's talking about WSU firing Tobeck.

Last edited:
Cutting the scholarship won't really do it. If the portal and current transfer rules continue, free agency continues. I believe the annual cap is still 25. I'm not sure what limiting the annual cap to 18-20 will do either.

What would WSU have to pay a school like Nevada for a player like Henley?
Limit total roster size not just scholarships. I believe people are getting paid even just to walk on at some places.

I also said limit the amount of transfers that a school can have coming in. Like by a lot. That will shut down a lot of the egregious misuses of the portal. I seem to recall Colorado had something like 86 new players come in. Maybe it was 53 who transferred in. It’s ridiculous.

That’s a good question about Henley. Did he get any NIL stuff? I don’t recall that. So it wouldn’t have been much, but sure we could’ve compensated Nevada some. Or maybe for each transfer that we lose we get to recruit two extra players.

I could have seen something like this 20 or 25 years ago to get out in front of what has become the "wild west" of NIL. I'm trying to figure out the reason why this is being proposed at this point?
To put a bow on it for the haves and also add the illusion of legitimacy.

Looks like we're about to find out, because I'm guessing not only will many schools not be able to qualify, just as many will opt not to. Why would they? Honest question:

why would any of the lower 2/3rds of the SEC B1G want to be cannon fodder for the rest? They have no real shot at a championship, it appears as though they are setting it up so the have's can take a larger slice of the TV pie, so cui bono?

My belief is some sponsors may be rethinking the paying of the NIL to players is a little too much in today’s economy and had a word or two with the NCAA. The demand for more money by the players would be like baseball, no cap. This NIL was not thought out and implemented very well. We all want to win, but at what price?

exactly.....the Yankees need whipping boys....they can't play themselves....

but this was always predictable, yrs ago, when it was cool to suggest "paying players" and crap like that.....this was always the worse case scenario and now its come true....

I predict many many universities will simply drop football if not more....or, a certain number of schools will form their own national organization....scholarships, passing grades, a reasonable stipend each month, etc....

if not college sports are just gone....thx to all the progressives who thought all this was going to work out.....

Reactions: kougkurt

but this was always predictable, yrs ago, when it was cool to suggest "paying players" and crap like that.....this was always the worse case scenario and now its come true....

I predict many many universities will simply drop football if not more....or, a certain number of schools will form their own national organization....scholarships, passing grades, a reasonable stipend each month, etc....

if not college sports are just gone....thx to all the progressives who thought all this was going to work out.....
progressives? give me a break

Seems more like laissez faire capitalism to me.
It’s anarcho-corporate-capitalism.

With a healthy dose of government fascism (or lack of) intervention.

Dismantle the traditional institutions and systems and replace with corporate overlords.

Looks like we're about to find out, because I'm guessing not only will many schools not be able to qualify, just as many will opt not to. Why would they? Honest question:

why would any of the lower 2/3rds of the SEC B1G want to be cannon fodder for the rest? They have no real shot at a championship, it appears as though they are setting it up so the have's can take a larger slice of the TV pie, so cui bono?
Yep- once the equal revenue sharing goes away for the bottom of the BIG and SEC being cannon fodder is going to lose a lot of its appeal.

The problem faced "back then" with paying the athletes that earned all the money for the schools (football and basketball primarily, if not exclusively) was Title IX. If they paid the football and basketball player, where the biggest earning were almost all male, then you would have to pay all the other sports athletes as well to keep from violating Title IX. With this NIL thing the schools have no problems with Title IX, they can feign innocence while the outsiders dump the money into the revenue generating sports.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT