ADVERTISEMENT

"The Oregonian" gets a copy of the PAC-12/MWC scheduling agreement, which includes poaching fees

Dave_86

Recruit
Oct 8, 2023
The Oregonian's article was written by Nick Daschel and is titled "Cost of rebuilding Pac-12 using Mountain West schools could exceed $50 million in fees". Link here:

The world according to Nick Daschel

Inside this article is an attached document titled "The Mountain West-PAC-12 Scheduling Agreement".

I understand that some members of this forum may not be able to access The Oregonian's website. Sorry in advance. It may take a day or two before we're able to find this article copied somewhere else.

Reactions: 425cougfan
The Oregonian's article was written by Nick Daschel and is titled "Cost of rebuilding Pac-12 using Mountain West schools could exceed $50 million in fees". Link here:

The world according to Nick Daschel

Inside this article is an attached document titled "The Mountain West-PAC-12 Scheduling Agreement".

I understand that some members of this forum may not be able to access The Oregonian's website. Sorry in advance. It may take a day or two before we're able to find this article copied somewhere else.
I was able to read the article - confusing as it was - and could get to the long document but wasn't going to read 100 pages tonight.

Seems like we are paying a lot for the 2 year agreement, they'll get a bigger attendance boost than us. As far as $50 million for poaching - all or none in my opinion. So we drag in a couple of bottom feeders among the 10-ish that we need to be a full conference.

So....the MWC recognized we were desperate. They engineered $1.5M appearance fees for their teams for the next 2 years, which I would assume is far more than they typically get.

The easy way around the big buyout fees is the merger or reverse merger. It only gets expensive if we don't combine with all 12 teams.

Silver lining...if we get a bit down the road and everyone wants to make some changes, the MWC requires 9 of 12 to vote in favor. So this isn't necessarily the final word.

So....the MWC recognized we were desperate. They engineered $1.5M appearance fees for their teams for the next 2 years, which I would assume is far more than they typically get.

The easy way around the big buyout fees is the merger or reverse merger. It only gets expensive if we don't combine with all 12 teams.

Silver lining...if we get a bit down the road and everyone wants to make some changes, the MWC requires 9 of 12 to vote in favor. So this isn't necessarily the final word.

It's pretty close, and it can be semi easy to get 9 MWC votes.

BSU, Fresno St, SDSU, Airforce, UNLV, etc, WANT TO BE IN THE BEST CONFERENCE THEY CAN BE IN, WITH THE BEST POSSIBLE MEDIA DEAL, THAT IS AT LEAST A HYBRID G5/P5 HYBRID, THAT HAS GREAT BOWL ACCESS, NY6 ACCESS, CFP ACCESS, ETC.

THEY DO NOT WANT TO BE IN THE POTATO BOWL, etc.

If they and the whole MWC merges with PAC 2 to become PAC 12, etc, then the BOTTOM feeders, will make the PAC 12, a PAC West, G5, C-USA, MWC, AAC level conference, with the POTATO BOWL, and ONLY about 6 to 8 to 10 million per team media deal.

That is NOT good enough for them.

But if the TOP 9 VOTE TO DISSOLVE THE MWC, THEN THE TOP 9 JOIN PAC 2, LEAVING THE BOTTOM FEEDERS BEHIND, then they would get, be a HYBRID G5, P4,5 conference with Alamo Bowl, Holiday Bowl, Vegas Bowl, 1 NY6 Bowl, whether Cotton, fiesta, peach, etc, 12 team CFP access for 1 PAC 12 team, and about a 16 to 18 to 20 million per team media deal, instead of only 6 to 8 to 10 mil per team, which would be 6 mil to 8 mil to 10 mil to 12 mil to 14 mil per team more then they would get if took all 12 MWC teams, including the BOTTOM FEEDER TEAMS.

If the PAC 2 EXPLAINS THAT TO THE TOP 9 MWC TEAMS, AND CONTRACTS, PROMISES TO TAKE ALL TOP 9 MWC TEAMS THAT VOTE TO DISSOLVE THE MWC, INTO A REBUILT PAC 12, that includes Tulane, Memphis, USF, then the top 9 MWC would vote to dissolve the MWC, NO MATTER WHAT GLORIA THE MWC COMMISH says, etc, as none of the top 9 MWC programs would TURN DOWN EVEN MORE MONEY, BETTER BOWLS, NY6, BETTER CFP ACCESS, BEING HYBRID G5/POWER CONFERENCE, GETTING A GUARANTEED, CONTRACTED, PROMISED, ETC, SPOT INTO PAC, AMD NOT GET LEFT BEHIND.

As to why we are not hearing about this. If this were to get out earlier, it might be a bad look, and it could, might affect the scheduling alliance agreement, and might affect WSU, OSU ability to retain PAC money, assets, etc.

I'm not saying this GUARANTEED to happen, ESPECIALLY WITH OUR BAD LEADERSHIP, BUT DESPITE THAT, IT COULD STILL SEMI EASILY HAPPEN.

Yep. If everyone is in agreement on who the 3 that will be voted off the island the poaching fee goes away. Wonder if the MWC schools will have more loyalty to each other than the PAC did?

Yep. If everyone is in agreement on who the 3 that will be voted off the island the poaching fee goes away. Wonder if the MWC schools will have more loyalty to each other than the PAC did?
Loyalty will have nothing to do with it. The MWC was formed 25 years ago by 8 WAC school President's having a clandestine meeting at the Denver International Airport and agreeing to form a new conference with what was considered back then the best of the WAC. Those 8 schools formed the MWC because they believed that they could increase their media value by dropping the dead WAC weight.

The two Pac-12 Presidents need to secretly reach out to the nine schools they want. I would not contact boise first. They may throw a wrench into the plans because they may demand that they get the most money from the media contracts like they do now. Get the other 8 Presidents lined up before you approach them. If they start with them wanting more money then move on to the next school. Don't fall into that bullshyt. This is all my opinion of course but you just have know what you may end up dealing with.

Not sure if this is worthy of a new thread or not, so I'm tacking it here.

Jon Wilner just wrote an article titled "Mailbag: Strategy for WSU and OSU, poaching penalty for MW schools, Cal and Stanford in ACC and more". Most interesting comment by Wilner:

However, one source with knowledge of the agreement described the penalty as "not enough to prevent anyone from leaving" the Mountain West to join the rebuilt Pac-12.

Notably, the source added that the per-school cost (about $10 million) had been "hammered down" from the original proposal.

Mercury News Link

KSL link (was free for me)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT