ADVERTISEMENT

The speed factor

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
This isn't a complete list, and the 100 meters isn't always an adequate measure of "football speed," but the following players have run the 100 meters in 10.6 or faster: Jouvensly Bazil (10.4), Rodrick Fisher (10.43), Cole Dubots (10.54), and walk-on CB Jamal McMurrin (10.63). Trey Davis ran a 10.9 at some point in high school. It's likely that several others could have run the 100 in under 11 seconds but did not compete in track. Is this amount of speed unprecedented in Cougar football? Yes, Steve Broussard ran a 10.5 in high school, but he was an exception in those days (Mike Pringle from that same recruiting class was a 10.6 guy).

I want to say Travell Harris and Renard Bell brought blazing speed to the track. Plenty of other speedy Cougs on the roster, too.

Didn't realize jouvensly was that fast. Caught practice today and his burst really stands out. I was worried about the wr core next year, but dang 88 and 83 are gonna be special. Both of those guys have good size and great feet. Most 6-4 guys just cant move like Gray. Woods is a new dynamic. Good blocker. Very impressed with the tall jc safety. He reminds me a bit of Lamont Thompson. Really solid coaching staff. Most of them you can tell have a great rapport with the players. Rodgers Oguayo and Taylor are gonna be a handful. Their get off on the snap really stands out.

Reactions: ATACFD
Max Borghi 10.8 as a sophmore, 22.07 200, and then stopped running track.

Frank Madu was dang fast back in the day

Didn't realize jouvensly was that fast. Caught practice today and his burst really stands out. I was worried about the wr core next year, but dang 88 and 83 are gonna be special. Both of those guys have good size and great feet. Most 6-4 guys just cant move like Gray. Woods is a new dynamic. Good blocker. Very impressed with the tall jc safety. He reminds me a bit of Lamont Thompson. Really solid coaching staff. Most of them you can tell have a great rapport with the players. Rodgers Oguayo and Taylor are gonna be a handful. Their get off on the snap really stands out.

Why were you worried about the WR? Not trying to pick an argument, but I was under the impression that our WR core this year was talked about as #1 in the pac12 and very very deep.

Reactions: 79COUG
I want to say Travell Harris and Renard Bell brought blazing speed to the track. Plenty of other speedy Cougs on the roster, too.

I believe Harris' top 100m was 10.70 in HS. 10.70-11.05 in HS. Yes, fast.

Bell, 10.89-11.26 in HS

Why were you worried about the WR? Not trying to pick an argument, but I was under the impression that our WR core this year was talked about as #1 in the pac12 and very very deep.
It was next year when Jackson, Patmon, and Winston all move on. We will need guys like Gray, Fisher, Woods ready to step into big roles. They definitely look the part. Ollie has seemed to have some early highlights as well.

Yeah sorry for the confusion...i was referring to next season. Ollie, woods and Patmon all look like defensive ends. Really big receivers.

Also, just read that True Frosh CB Armauni Archie was 5th in CA/state in the 100m with a time of 10.64.

Patmon, Winston, are done at the end of this season.

Next Season after this season will have:

Tay, Jamire Calvin, Bell, Woods, Gray, Rodrick Fisher

Tay top 13 to top 25 WR next year, was 25 to 50 preseason this season.

Calvin 50 to 75 preseason

Bell, Fisher are BURNERS.

Woods, Gray are TALL.

So next season after this season will be just .fine at WR.

There is a reason why WSU WR Corp #5,6 in NATION, PRESEASON, TIED WITH USC FOR #1 WR CORP IN PAC 12, PRESEASON.

And why only BAMA, ETC has a DEEPER WR CORP then WSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: acgcoug
Not to start a CPW bash fest but hearing and seeing all of these guys with speed brings a huge grin to my face as it seems not long ago I was watching an opposing O-lineman chase down and tackle our DB on a pick (bit of an exaggeration maybe, but not far off). Athletic ability alone is worlds apart from before.

Max Borghi 10.8 as a sophmore, 22.07 200, and then stopped running track.

Frank Madu was dang fast back in the day
We had a guy from Nigeria...Obli-something or another (can't remember his name) that I recall having wheels. Somebody with a better memory than me recall his name?

We had a guy from Nigeria...Obli-something or another (can't remember his name) that I recall having wheels. Somebody with a better memory than me recall his name?

Augustin Olobia. I believe he once ran a 10.1 100 meters.

Not to start a CPW bash fest but hearing and seeing all of these guys with speed brings a huge grin to my face as it seems not long ago I was watching an opposing O-lineman chase down and tackle our DB on a pick (bit of an exaggeration maybe, but not far off). Athletic ability alone is worlds apart from before.

In all fairness to the Turd, it was a Notre Dame TE than ran down Chima Nwachukwu, who was a Doba recruit. Word is that Chima injured himself while returning an INT. There were aPaulogists who clamored that this was evidence of the bad hand dealt to the Turd. Nonetheless, said aPaulogists went on to predict the Turd would repeat the 1998-2002 turnaround because he was "doing it the right way" in accordance with Iron Laws and Five Year Plans.
Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one ... (the rent is free!)

In all fairness to the Turd, it was a Notre Dame TE than ran down Chima Nwachukwu, who was a Doba recruit. Word is that Chima injured himself while returning an INT. There were aPaulogists who clamored that this was evidence of the bad hand dealt to the Turd. Nonetheless, said aPaulogists went on to predict the Turd would repeat the 1998-2002 turnaround because he was "doing it the right way" in accordance with Iron Laws and Five Year Plans.
Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one ... (the rent is free!)

To be factually correct the lack of Chima's speed that was alarming is when he was run down behind by a guard for Hawaii when Chima picked up a fumble.

Well thank gawd rent is free since I am out a of job, my wife left me, and what else went wrong in your imaginary world? At least not working I will have more time to post.

But when I do get back on my feet I must confess being in the private sector it is nice my income is not reported, at least I have that going for me.

Olobia was a track guy and a bit out of water to say the least as a football player.

Like Anthony Buchanan.

WSU 100m record books, a poor copy/paste effort on my part, but interesting to see:

10.17 Anson Henry Walnut 2002 10.19 Augustin Olobia Eugene 1991 10.19 Benny Chatman Los Angeles 2003 10.19 James McSwain Walnut 2005 10.21 Anthony Buchanan Tucson 2004 10.24* Gary Minor Spokane 1976 10.27 George Ogbeide Pullman 1991 10.28 Justin Woods Eugene 2009 10.29 Lee Gordon Eugene 1984 10.38 Ian Campbell Boise 1977 10.38 Jaycee Robertson Eugene 2006

Wind-aided marks 10.10w Anthony Buchanan Los Angeles 2003 10.12w Bennie Chatman Los Angeles 2003 10.16w James McSwain Tucson 2006 10.26w Jaycee Robertson Eugene 2006 10.34w* Larry Scheurer South Lake Tahoe 1969

To be factually correct the lack of Chima's speed that was alarming is when he was run down behind by a guard for Hawaii when Chima picked up a fumble.

Well thank gawd rent is free since I am out a of job, my wife left me, and what else went wrong in your imaginary world? At least not working I will have more time to post.

But when I do get back on my feet I must confess being in the private sector it is nice my income is not reported, at least I have that going for me.

Almost right ... and seriously, Ed, I'm not posting this to give you crap, since you were pretty close and it wasn't a tight end. It was a right tackle.

"Even Hawaii's linemen were faster than Washington State's defensive backs. When Chima Nwachukwu picked up a fumble by Alexander at the Cougars 1 midway through the second quarter _ 1 yard from Hawaii going up 42-0 _ he briefly appeared free for a 99-yard score down the sideline. Then Warriors right tackle Laupepa Letuli ran him down and pushed him out of bounds at the WSU 31."

https://www.foxnews.com/wires/2009Sep13/0,4670,FBCHawaiiWashingtonState,00.html

Olobia was a track guy and a bit out of water to say the least as a football player.
I never said he was good:cool:

I do remember being disappointed with the marginal return on the investment after all the fanfare when he signed about how fast he was.

Almost right ... and seriously, Ed, I'm not posting this to give you crap, since you were pretty close and it wasn't a tight end. It was a right tackle.

"Even Hawaii's linemen were faster than Washington State's defensive backs. When Chima Nwachukwu picked up a fumble by Alexander at the Cougars 1 midway through the second quarter _ 1 yard from Hawaii going up 42-0 _ he briefly appeared free for a 99-yard score down the sideline. Then Warriors right tackle Laupepa Letuli ran him down and pushed him out of bounds at the WSU 31."

Duly noted. It was that play and that game that cemented how far that defense had dropped since the 2001/2003 years.

Last edited:
Duly noted. It was that play and that game that cemented the how far that defense had dropped since the 2001/2003 years.

But the defense vastly improved in 2011 when it played against Utah and its third-string QB. Let's not forget how formidable it was against Idaho State and UNLV to start that season. Jaw dropping, it was.

Why are you responding to my post? Does it mention you by name? Were you an aPaulogist?

It was also alarming that Chima looked he was going to pass out before he made it to the goal line. "Doing it the right way" apparently meant no strength and conditioning....

But the defense vastly improved in 2011 when it played against Utah and its third-string QB. Let's not forget how formidable it was against Idaho State and UNLV to start that season. Jaw dropping, it was.

Really, 8 years later?

Why are you responding to my post? Does it mention you by name? Were you an aPaulogist?

I didn't know there was an invite by name needed to respond to posts.

Chima getting run down from behind was a concern of mine, it is nice to see apparently someone saw it as I did. If the definition of an aPaulogist is supporting the program through tough times and a five year rebuild then the answer is yes.

Really, 8 years later?

Really, what is it about Turd trashing that gets under your skin so badly? Why the hypersensitivity about 6 and 40? Why snipe and gripe throughout 37 and 15? Enjoy Cougar football for once, little guy. I think you'll be a healthier person. Btw, it was Coug90 who inserted "CPW" in this thread, but you chose to respond only to my post. Then again, Coug90 doesn't live rent free in your spacious head. Again, get healthy, my sawed-off little friend.

Last edited:
Really, what is it about Turd trashing that gets under your skin so badly? Why the hypersensitivity about 6 and 40? Why snipe and gripe throughout 37 and 15? Enjoy Cougar football for once, little guy. I think you'll be a healthier person.

Little guy? I have been called many things...don’t recall little guy. Looking at your online John Clayton photo I think I may have about 40 pounds on you . But it may be my hair that makes me look bigger .

As far as Turd goes notthing under my skin. I simply corrected you that Chima’s visual lack of speed wasn't against ND but rather getting run down by an o lineman against Hawaii.

I just crack up that Turd is even brought up on the board after you aptly state has been 37-15.

Btw I hear you about 2011 and the third string qb. Do you have the same asterisk when we beat Utah in 2013 to get to be 6-6 and be bowl eligible ?

Last edited:
I never said he was good:cool:

I do remember being disappointed with the marginal return on the investment after all the fanfare when he signed about how fast he was.
Football was more of an experiment a bit ala Skeets Nehemiah. Olobia signed to run track but he and I believe at least one other Nigerian (weight guy in track & field) gave football a try after a year or 2 maybe? Yeah, there just wasn't much feel for the game given I doubt he had ever played football before.

Last edited:
Football was more of an experiment a bit ala Skeets Nehemiah. Olobia signed to run track but he and I believe at least one other Nigerian (weight guy in track & field) gave football a try after a year or 2 maybe? Yeah, there just wasn't much feel for the game given I doubt he had ever played football before.
Maybe there’s already a saying, but if not there should be one that says you can turn a football player into a track guy but you can’t turn a track guy into a football player.

At least I’ve never seen it pan out to any great degree...

Renaldo Nehemiah never played football in college. Hayes played football and ran track in college

Ron Brown at ASU , Willie Gault... but the list isn’t very long of players who made the transition . A different skill set.

This isn't a complete list, and the 100 meters isn't always an adequate measure of "football speed," but the following players have run the 100 meters in 10.6 or faster: Jouvensly Bazil (10.4), Rodrick Fisher (10.43), Cole Dubots (10.54), and walk-on CB Jamal McMurrin (10.63). Trey Davis ran a 10.9 at some point in high school. It's likely that several others could have run the 100 in under 11 seconds but did not compete in track. Is this amount of speed unprecedented in Cougar football? Yes, Steve Broussard ran a 10.5 in high school, but he was an exception in those days (Mike Pringle from that same recruiting class was a 10.6 guy).

....10.63 > 10.6

:D

Reactions: YakiCoug
Little guy? I have been called many things...don’t recall little guy. Looking at your online John Clayton photo I think I may have about 40 pounds on you . But it may be my hair that makes me look bigger .

As far as Turd goes notthing under my skin. I simply corrected you that Chima’s visual lack of speed wasn't against ND but rather getting run down by an o lineman against Hawaii.

I just crack up that Turd is even brought up on the board after you aptly state has been 37-15.

Btw I hear you about 2011 and the third string qb. Do you have the same asterisk when we beat Utah in 2013 to get to be 6-6 and be bowl eligible ?

So, your beer gut is throwing the first punch? :D

So, your beer gut is throwing the first punch? :D

First, I haven't had a beer in a long time, went to vodka soda years ago. Second, "my beer gut" would never waste its time such minimal matters. Like my brother, we have never thrown a first punch.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT