ADVERTISEMENT

The two big runs by Hogan...

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
One was due to Kirkland Parker, a corner, flying across the middle to get to McCaffery. With no linebacker or safety in position to contain, Hogan lumbered on through. This was a classic over pursuit on Parker's part.
The other play? Well, as Curtis Conway or another Pac-12 TV commentator said, Luani "just got juked by the guy with the knee brace." I didn't think Luani played particularly well last week against Arizona. I'll say whenever you help your defense hold McCaffery to 129 rushing and receiving yards, you probably have done a good job, but he gave up a run to a stiff. Combine that with the offense settling for FGs in the first half and a reasonable facsimile of Gordon Riese in the booth on replays, and you get a 2-point loss.
And Falk's INTs were inexcusable. You might see more than two v. ASU.

Last edited:
One was due to Kirkland Parker, a corner, flying across the middle to get to McCaffery. With no linebacker or safety in position to contain, Hogan lumbered on through. This was a classic over pursuit on Parker's part.
The other play? Well, as Curtis Conway or another Pac-12 TV commentator said, Luani "just got juked by the guy with the knee brace." I didn't think Luani played particularly well last week against Arizona. I'll say whenever you help your defense hold McCaffery to 129 rushing and receiving yards, you probably have done a good job, but he gave up a run to a stiff. Combine that with the offense settling for FGs in the first half and a reasonable facsimile of Gordon Riese in the booth on replays, and you get a 2-point loss.

ASU will blitz him all night long. I'm interested to see how he responds. We should be able to get some big gains on screen passes.

The second one looked worse for the QB than it was. He maybe should've pulled it back, but John Thompson got owned on that play. Block gets made, we aren't having this conversation

Falk's second one wasn't all on him IMO. His first one was awful, that was Paul Menke against USC bad, but his second was a combination of of things. John Thompson complete whiffed on his block, the guy who picked was his man to block and just ran right through his block and the ball was already released by then and it was more of "hey, look what I found." It was suppose to be a safe play to make Stanford burn a timeout and it backfired.

I can't really nitpick the defense, yea, letting Hogan getting lose like was frustrating, but I give Stanford some credit. They adjusted to what we were doing on defense. They caught us totally off guard by having Hogan run the read option. We were handling McCaffery really well, one of the plays the entire offensive line cut left and Hogan kept it and cut right and there was nobody there. It was a great design on Stanford's part.

ASU is gonna blitz a ton, but if the offensive line holds their own, which should have a field day with their secondary.

As we've heard a lot before, Falk is a young QB who will make mistakes. Whether or not the second one is not his fault is in the eye of the beholder to me. It was a rhythm throw but at the same time, as soon as he turned, I was yelling, "NO!". At least this should quiet down the Heisman talk until next year. Let the kid grow up first.

Reactions: kayak15

ASUs secondary is bad this year. Very slow. Hell, Jordan Simone is starting at safety.

ASU can and will blitz, but our offensive line is stout, as are our RBs in pass protection. Falk will take some maddening sacks, but I think we'll gash ASU with slants, screens, and deep seam passes when their blitz doesn't get to Falk in time.

ASUs secondary is bad this year. Very slow. Hell, Jordan Simone is starting at safety.

ASU can and will blitz, but our offensive line is stout, as are our RBs in pass protection. Falk will take some maddening sacks, but I think we'll gash ASU with slants, screens, and deep seam passes when their blitz doesn't get to Falk in time.

For the record......number 27 got juked by the man in the knee brace...not Luani.

As we've heard a lot before, Falk is a young QB who will make mistakes. Whether or not the second one is not his fault is in the eye of the beholder to me. It was a rhythm throw but at the same time, as soon as he turned, I was yelling, "NO!". At least this should quiet down the Heisman talk until next year. Let the kid grow up first.

By beholder, I assume you mean the person that is the head coach, OC and QB coach.

That's a quick pass. The QB doesn't even spin the ball to grip the laces. There is no read. Catch the snap and throw. The inside receiver has to block. And did you start yelling "NO" before or after Thompson whiffed?

I watched that play a few more times. It was Luani, who also failed to make the play on Hogan's short TD run.

The run that was pointed out by the Pac12 channel and referred to as a juke was no other than Mr Marcellus Pippins. Q PDaddy.

They caught us totally off guard by having Hogan run the read option...It was a great design on Stanford's part.
I'll give credit to Stanford for recognizing what would work. But...it shouldn't have caught us off guard. Just about every team we've played this season has figured out that the QB can run on us. Hogan was the THIRD QB to run for 100 yards against us this season. That's a problem....and it's a problem that doesn't appear to be being addressed. Credit to Stanford for knowing it would work and going to it, but evidence to this point suggests they didn't even need McCaffrey as a decoy. Oregon State and Arizona didn't have him, and their QBs went past 100 yards. Portland State didn't have him, and their QB ran for 92.

We just don't cover the QB well.

I'll give credit to Stanford for recognizing what would work. But...it shouldn't have caught us off guard. Just about every team we've played this season has figured out that the QB can run on us. Hogan was the THIRD QB to run for 100 yards against us this season. That's a problem....and it's a problem that doesn't appear to be being addressed. Credit to Stanford for knowing it would work and going to it, but evidence to this point suggests they didn't even need McCaffrey as a decoy. Oregon State and Arizona didn't have him, and their QBs went past 100 yards. Portland State didn't have him, and their QB ran for 92.

As I was looking at the highlights again, I saw something especially egregious and unacceptable, which was that on his second, shorter touchdown, Hogan had the ball snapped to him on the 11 yard line and ran into the end zone for the go-ahead score literally untouched. I don't mean he broke a couple of arm tackles - I mean if the entire WSU defense were covered in charcoal, Hogan wouldn't have had a single blemish on his white jersey. It's pathetic but perhaps understandable if it's the first time they cut him loose, but it was already preceded by Hogan runs of 39, 16, 6, 59 and 7 yards. The guy had already taken off 5 times for 127 yards, and somehow he's able to coast in without so much as a verbal warning.

Big props to Stanford for that halftime adjustment. Zero props to us for letting ourselves get absolutely abused by it over and over. Fool me once, shame on you. But fool me 8 times?

Do you think we have the talent to shutdown everything an opponent will throw at us?

Do you think we have the talent to shutdown everything an opponent will throw at us?
Truth be told we should have enough talent to cover a simple play like a qb sweep. It wasn't an option, it was a sweep, a play that goes back to the turn of the century, and not this century.

I think we have enough talent that we should be better at covering it now than we were in week 1. We're not. The only conclusion I can draw is that we're not working on it. And, that any OC from ASU, UCLA, CU, and UW should be telling his QB to plan on running the ball when they line up against us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT