ADVERTISEMENT

The UCLA QB fumble?

Coug90

Hall Of Fame
Jan 17, 2012
i don’t want to sift through the dvr of that five hour track meet to find it, but what was the explanation on the fumble that Leach challenged which they gave to UCLA? Clearly he fumbled, our guy came out of the pile with it...were they saying UCLA made a clear recovery then we ripped it out? If so was it clear from the replay? There’s a pile after damn near every fumble and typically whoever comes up with the ball...ya know...gets the ball. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen an official arbitrarily give possession during a pile like that because of what he thought he saw.

i don’t want to sift through the dvr of that five hour track meet to find it, but what was the explanation on the fumble that Leach challenged which they gave to UCLA? Clearly he fumbled, our guy came out of the pile with it...were they saying UCLA made a clear recovery then we ripped it out? If so was it clear from the replay? There’s a pile after damn near every fumble and typically whoever comes up with the ball...ya know...gets the ball. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen an official arbitrarily give possession during a pile like that because of what he thought he saw.

I'm not going to watch it on the DVR either.

From the replay shown on the scoreboard it looked like DTR fumbled, basically rolled over the ball and it went right back into his hands before our guys jumped on him. I believe it was Hobbs that came out of the pile with the ball. It looked to me that DTR recovered it.

Blowing a TO on fourth down after lining up to go for it, then punting gets to me. If you don't like the look the defense gives you LET THE PLAY CLOCK EXPIRE AND SAVE THE TIMEOUT! Who cares about a 5 yard penalty. We've got a great punter.

Did you watch the ref who signaled it as UCLA ball? He ambled up to the pile of fighting bodies, took a peek down at the top of the pile, then pointed their direction. It’s almost unimaginable that a) he could’ve even seen the ball through a pile 2-3 bodies deep, and b) if he could’ve seen it, been able to tell who had possession. And given the fact our guy came out of the pile with the ball, sure seems it would’ve been in a Coug’s hands when he did his x-ray peek into the pile. But the way things were going, it was a given they were going to give it to them.

Did you watch the ref who signaled it as UCLA ball? He ambled up to the pile of fighting bodies, took a peek down at the top of the pile, then pointed their direction. It’s almost unimaginable that a) he could’ve even seen the ball through a pile 2-3 bodies deep, and b) if he could’ve seen it, been able to tell who had possession. And given the fact our guy came out of the pile with the ball, sure seems it would’ve been in a Coug’s hands when he did his x-ray peek into the pile. But the way things were going, it was a given they were going to give it to them.

As you suggest, disco, it really didn't matter to the ref what was happening at ground level.

that was a lucky bounce for UCLA. I think the Fisher and Winston fumbles should have been our ball. Fisher's elbow hit and Winston was down.

that was a lucky bounce for UCLA. I think the Fisher and Winston fumbles should have been our ball. Fisher's elbow hit and Winston was down.

IMO Fisher was down, Winston wasn't. Still sick about both scenarios.

I thought Fisher's progress had been stopped and even if by rule the 5 guys on top of him pushed him forward I thought he arm was down.

I was surprised from the looks we saw that they could conclusively overturn the Winston fumble. I thought the call would stand.

Nothing went our way from mid-3rd quarter on. We have to find a way to overcome it but unfortunately we imploded.

I thought Fisher's progress had been stopped and even if by rule the 5 guys on top of him pushed him forward I thought he arm was down.

I was surprised from the looks we saw that they could conclusively overturn the Winston fumble. I thought the call would stand.

Nothing went our way from mid-3rd quarter on. We have to find a way to overcome it but unfortunately we imploded.

The Fisher fumble wasn't a fumble,and we didn't handle adversity, but it was a critical play in changing the whole Mo of the game.

Agree on Fischer. I cannot recall the last time I saw 5 defenders mobbing a ball carrier and the whistle wasn't blown ASAP. In fact, I think the whistle tends to be blown way too early...really weird scenario.

All of that especially on the mob part. Watch the replay there was even on the UCLA grabbing the back of helmet and pulls it . Clear as day, it is at the 19.05 mark of the attached video. Does not change the outcome and may not have changed the game but WSU needs to send this rule and that tape to the Pac 12 office.

Rule 12-2-6

ARTICLE 6. UNNECESSARY ROUGHNESS. There shall be no unnecessary roughness. This shall include, but will not be limited to:

(j) grabbing a helmet opening of an opponent and forcibly twisting, turning, or pulling his head

Reactions: 79COUG
All of that especially on the mob part. Watch the replay there was even on the UCLA grabbing the back of helmet and pulls it . Clear as day, it is at the 19.05 mark of the attached video. Does not change the outcome and may not have changed the game but WSU needs to send this rule and that tape to the Pac 12 office.

Rule 12-2-6

ARTICLE 6. UNNECESSARY ROUGHNESS. There shall be no unnecessary roughness. This shall include, but will not be limited to:

(j) grabbing a helmet opening of an opponent and forcibly twisting, turning, or pulling his head

What really pisses me off is that Lurch-looking dumbass line judge was standing right there with a perfect view of the whole thing, from the time RF goes into full protect-the-ball mode to when they finish assaulting him once they've manage to tear the ball loose. That play was a travesty of refereeing.

I feel fortunate that I was busy and didn't watch the game. I did look a few times at the score on my phone and we were way up, until we weren't. So heartbreaking

The way the whole thing shook out...it's like HBO scripted it for maximum dramatic effect their show. Wonder if those ref were $omehow persuaded....nawwww.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT