ADVERTISEMENT

the wulff redux continues

Strange season. Next year won’t have the same amount of forgiveness.

Comparing Rolo to Wulff is bush league.

People don’t want to accept that the program was on the down turn with Leach. The defense was in shambles, recruiting was falling off and Leach seemed content with where we were at as program. Leach was great for the program, but this year was going be a struggle imo with Leach. I didn’t see anything from his defensive staff that made hopeful a turnaround was coming. But to say we are back to Wulff era is just ridiculous.

I won’t extend any free passes to Rolo beyond this season. For now, he gets one from me. No spring ball. Fall camp was 6 weeks. True freshman QB. Injured Borghi. 1 home game. Had to play the 3 best teams in the conference.

Tough season. Really good experience for de Laura.

I won’t extend any free passes to Rolo beyond this season. For now, he gets one from me. No spring ball. Fall camp was 6 weeks. True freshman QB. Injured Borghi. 1 home game. Had to play the 3 best teams in the conference.

Tough season. Really good experience for de Laura.
It was going to be a three year rebuild. No QB with experience, and all three have flaws. JDL is inaccurate while in the pocket.

Defense plays well at times. Their dline needs to get physically stronger. The oline got manhandled in the second half.

And JDL still would be running if he pulled it.

It was going to be a three year rebuild. No QB with experience, and all three have flaws. JDL is inaccurate while in the pocket.

Defense plays well at times. Their dline needs to get physically stronger. The oline got manhandled in the second half.

They have vets on the OL, a top tier RB, very solid receiving corps... They have everything in place for a new/young QB to be successful. The offense does not need 3 years. It needs a coached up scheme, smartly called plays and easy pitch and catch for the new QB.

Better get your wallet out as we are stuck with him for four more years.

I’m not ready to classify it as being stuck with him just yet. The team was very unorganized this season, not so were many other programs across the Nation.

We got exposed by Oregon, SC, and Utah. Let’s say the COVID schedule was different, and we played Arizona and Cal in place of SC and Utah. The final scores would have been closer, but what would we have learned?

This sucked, but we got some good experience for JDL, who I still believe is an elite prospect.

They have vets on the OL, a top tier RB, very solid receiving corps... They have everything in place for a new/young QB to be successful. The offense does not need 3 years. It needs a coached up scheme, smartly called plays and easy pitch and catch for the new QB.

How could you disagree with HistorianEd?

Wow......it's amazing to see some of these comments. We went 0-3 against teams that represent the best that the Pac-12 has to offer. USC is the standard bearer even if they are down from their glory days (they did finish 5-1 BTW), Oregon has elite facilities, high level talent and a good tradition overall in the past 30 years. Utah is a well coached program with a history of success. It was a tough schedule for a team with a new coach, new system, QB's with no experience and a ridiculous season marred by a pandemic. Anyone who thinks that they know anything about our future is a delusional idiot.

Rolovich may end up sucking hind tit......but it's got nothing to do with this turd of a season. The only thing that this season proved is that if we got rid of college football, nobody would really care all that much in the long run.

Posts like this prove you don’t actually follow the team.

No excuses for the offense to go out and throw up that turd of a second half. To your point there’s way too much talent. DeLauras young, but this needs to be a gut check for him. When you are QB1 it’s your team. Your unit sleepwalks through the 3rd quarter that’s on you.
Weird season and I’m sure these kids are mentally exhausted but still some soul-searching to do all around. Coaches and players.

No excuses for the offense to go out and throw up that turd of a second half. To your point there’s way too much talent. DeLauras young, but this needs to be a gut check for him. When you are QB1 it’s your team. Your unit sleepwalks through the 3rd quarter that’s on you.
Weird season and I’m sure these kids are mentally exhausted but still some soul-searching to do all around. Coaches and players.

It was a mess top to bottom. I wrote before the season that I thought they should just cancel and rally up in spring. Having watched this season I still feel the same way. It was a challenge for teams with the best of everything. The best talent, the best coaches, the most money to spend. For those that aren't at the top of the food chain, it could be a disaster altogether.

It will be interesting to see what the NCAA says about the scholarship limit. If everyone can come back next year and not lose any eligibility what does that mean for the next 25 kids showing up?

If Im being honest, I wouldn't feel bad for scholarship kids if the NCAA said they get another year but their scholarship is up to the school. They've had 3-4 years of free education. They can be like the rest of us and pay their own way or take loans.

Reactions: WASH ST A&M FAN

I give the O a pass for this season with no spring ball and all the interruptions due to Covid. Assuming everyone is back next year and even if big Abe goes pro, there is no reason for the O not to be in the top half of the league with the talent returning And help coming at WR in CJ Moore and possibly the return of Calvin Jackson. If the O continues to struggle, I’d say we have coaching issues.

Posts like this prove you don’t actually follow the team.

Which part do you have a problem with?

We were 3-6 in conference with a top 15 coach, a season record holder at QB. We struggled on defense and the best players on the back end are the ones Rolo brought in. Leach struggled and failed to improve upon a 4-9 team with experience QB's and didn't have a winning season until his fourth year. So why would I think a new system, a need to rebuild the defense would be a one or two year proposition?

I confess I'm pretty worried about what I've seen. Considering OSU has managed to be such a PITA for every team they've played, I don't recognize our team from Game 1 to subsequent games (yes, COVID, injuries, etc but JDL's regression from G1 to beyond is an absolute puzzle)

The silver lining is that this ends up being a non-season. And I'd almost rather get our dicks knocked in the dirt like that instead of losing nailbiters that convince us we're "almost there." Rolo basically got a free season to realize HOLY SH-- THIS NEEDS TO GET BETTER. Hopefully that lights a fire under him in a way a few close losses would not have.

I don't know if I'd say I'm optimistic - I'm cautiously pessimistic - but totally willing to believe that this year could end up as a fluke.

Which part do you have a problem with?

We were 3-6 in conference with a top 15 coach, a season record holder at QB. We struggled on defense and the best players on the back end are the ones Rolo brought in. Leach struggled and failed to improve upon a 4-9 team with experience QB's and didn't have a winning season until his fourth year. So why would I think a new system, a need to rebuild the defense would be a one or two year proposition?

The main thing I have a problem with is that you don’t follow the program. I thought that was clear.

Going 0-3 against the top teams in the conference...the team and fans should continue to expect to win those games, regardless of where they rank in the conference. It was the hand the team was dealt this year (and I think, partially due to WSU's perceived reputation of being a lower tier member in the conference)

I'm not giving up four hours of my Saturday to just "compete" anymore, whether it was this year, last year, or the following years.

The main thing I have a problem with is that you don’t follow the program. I thought that was clear.

Well .if your definition of following the program is hanging out on here from the moment you wake up til bedtime, then very few people follow the program.

I do see that Ed is on your brain all day today, too.

You need some hobbies.

you are correct it would seem, ED is only here when the team is struggling, rehashing his laments about Price,Wulff and the glory of doing it the right way

You do get the irony of your post. I didn't lament about Wulff in this post, you did. Another poster brought up comments I made about Wulff and taking five years to get it done.

My interaction in this post was a direct comparison between the 19 and 20 game's against Utah where we struggled in the second half. I don't think there should be any alarm bells regarding Rolo and his staff yet. Yeah, I am here in the tough times defending the coach. Just like I was in 2015 when some posters were thinking about the new coach and Leach wasn't going to get it done. Ever hear me say get rid of Leach? I never did.

If there were "yellow flags" on Rolo then we would have BBQ'ed Erickson, Price and even Leach. It takes time to implement the system.

I may be more patient than you. I may set realistic expectations. But the comment that got A and M fan and has Cougs as his fallback fan was to show the end result wasn't any different than what happened last year.

You know my season tickets have always had someone sitting in them. When I cant use them...which in the Wulff years was almost impossible for me to use, someone was always in them. Always. 50 yard line, section 26, there is always a body in those seats. (except 2020). And when someone needs tickets, I always go and get them, and the money I spend on them I don't charge the "buyer", I make them donate to the athletic department. So you may be a smidge off when you call me out about "not following" the Cougs, in light when you bitched and moaned in 98 and 99, wanted a Rose Bowl coach fired and threatened not to renew your season tickets. . And you dare question why I love and follow the Cougs?

Yes, I have to admit there were two seasons that I did not post. 2013 and 2016. But I feel that was justified. But I posted in 12, 14, 15, 17, 18 and 19. But thanks for trying to keep tabs on me.

You do get the irony of your post. I didn't lament about Wulff in this post, you did. Another poster brought up comments I made about Wulff and taking five years to get it done.

My interaction in this post was a direct comparison between the 19 and 20 game's against Utah where we struggled in the second half. I don't think there should be any alarm bells regarding Rolo and his staff yet. Yeah, I am here in the tough times defending the coach. Just like I was in 2015 when some posters were thinking about the new coach and Leach wasn't going to get it done. Ever hear me say get rid of Leach? I never did.

If there were "yellow flags" on Rolo then we would have BBQ'ed Erickson, Price and even Leach. It takes time to implement the system.

I may be more patient than you. I may set realistic expectations. But the comment that got A and M fan and has Cougs as his fallback fan was to show the end result wasn't any different than what happened last year.

You know my season tickets have always had someone sitting in them. When I cant use them...which in the Wulff years was almost impossible for me to use, someone was always in them. Always. 50 yard line, section 26, there is always a body in those seats. (except 2020). And when someone needs tickets, I always go and get them, and the money I spend on them I don't charge the "buyer", I make them donate to the athletic department. So you may be a smidge off when you call me out about "not following" the Cougs, in light when you bitched and moaned in 98 and 99, wanted a Rose Bowl coach fired and threatened not to renew your season tickets. . And you dare question why I love and follow the Cougs?

Yes, I have to admit there were two seasons that I did not post. 2013 and 2016. But I feel that was justified. But I posted in 12, 14, 15, 17, 18 and 19. But thanks for trying to keep tabs on me.

If you're a reasonable expectation setter, why did you complain so incessantly about replacing two guys on the OL and how bad it was that Leach didn't play the backups? Even though Kingston was getting time and Greene was subbing in for Fred. My public service for today is to inform you that Greene, who was inserted as the starter at center which was one of the hole you repeatedly lamented about for the 2020 season, was named Pac-12 honorable mention.

Three year rebuild imminent.

If you're a reasonable expectation setter, why did you complain so incessantly about replacing two guys on the OL and how bad it was that Leach didn't play the backups? Even though Kingston was getting time and Greene was subbing in for Fred. My public service for today is to inform you that Greene, who was inserted as the starter at center which was one of the hole you repeatedly lamented about for the 2020 season, was named Pac-12 honorable mention.

I had "reasonable" expectations. I think they are on the mark. We are 1-3, coming off a 3-6 record in conference. You make the assumption because Greene is a name, they will be good. All I said is they had two question marks at those two positions, and I had very little data to go on saying they were at least adequate replacements.

Also because we didn't have a QB, and our defense was horrible in 19, I has a reasoned expectation of 3-9. Not sure why you struggle with that.

And we are one year into the rebuild. And I hope they exceed my expectations and win a year earlier.

Duly noted his four games earned him honorable mention.

I had "reasonable" expectations. I think they are on the mark. We are 1-3, coming off a 3-6 record in conference. You make the assumption because Greene is a name, they will be good. All I said is they had two question marks at those two positions, and I had very little data to go on saying they were at least adequate replacements.

Also because we didn't have a QB, and our defense was horrible in 19, I has a reasoned expectation of 3-9. Not sure why you struggle with that.

And we are one year into the rebuild. And I hope they exceed my expectations and win a year earlier.

So is 2020 year 1 or year 0?

And I did not assume anything. I actually watched the games last year and saw that the coaches were rotating Greene in for plays that mattered. If you actually followed the team, you would notice that too.

Anyone calling Utah a top 3 team in the league is a clown. They literally benched their QB at halftime for a career backup who never plays. That team is trash.

WSU is worse though, in large part because of significant depth issues and a severe lack of talent on the DL. That is not the current staff's fault quite yet.

Anyone calling Utah a top 3 team in the league is a clown. They literally benched their QB at halftime for a career backup who never plays. That team is trash.

WSU is worse though, in large part because of significant depth issues and a severe lack of talent on the DL. That is not the current staff's fault quite yet.
Anyone saying there is a “top 3” in this league is a clown. There’a not a top anything in this league.

Reactions: 79COUG
And by the way, nice of you to denigrate his accomplishment.

If he thought I was denigrating his performance I owe him an apology. I think for this league to have Pac 12 First team or any award is beyond dumb. If you asked me if he proved he was a Pac 12 starter in this league I would have said yes, he has shown he is very capable at the center position. But to tie on an award for four games is the dumb part of your discussion., That is like saying DeLaura made freshman All American because he was one of the few freshman QB's to start this past season.

If he thought I was denigrating his performance I owe him an apology. I think for this league to have Pac 12 First team or any award is beyond dumb. If you asked me if he proved he was a Pac 12 starter in this league I would have said yes, he has shown he is very capable at the center position. But to tie on an award for four games is the dumb part of your discussion., That is like saying DeLaura made freshman All American because he was one of the few freshman QB's to start this past season.

The dumb part here is you denigrating someone’s accomplishment. Way to go.

I’m proud that a former walk-on has been recognized by the PAC-12 coaches for his play.

Reactions: taf88 and acgcoug
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT