ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Jakimovski statements

wsudefense

Team Captain
Jul 18, 2006
I have played against Coach Boyle for four years and I have always been a fan of his coaching and he is a fan of my game. He thinks I can do a lot more for his team than I did at Washington State. We agreed on that, and I was like, 'Okay, let's make this happen, because I know what to expect.'"

Coach Boyle's system, they let you show your skills. It was kind of an easy choice for me having gone against Colorado the last four years. I want to show my game."

While at Washington State, Jakimovski described himself as a "three and D" type of player, so he was simply asked to hit open jumpers and play defense. At Colorado, he expects his full skill set to be on display.

Well I guess he could do a bit better. He had the most minutes a game, Shot a 36.1% on 321 attemps and was a 60% FT guy. Good rebounder and can handle the ball.

I have played against Coach Boyle for four years and I have always been a fan of his coaching and he is a fan of my game. He thinks I can do a lot more for his team than I did at Washington State. We agreed on that, and I was like, 'Okay, let's make this happen, because I know what to expect.'"

Coach Boyle's system, they let you show your skills. It was kind of an easy choice for me having gone against Colorado the last four years. I want to show my game."

While at Washington State, Jakimovski described himself as a "three and D" type of player, so he was simply asked to hit open jumpers and play defense. At Colorado, he expects his full skill set to be on display.
His skill set at Colorado had better include a significant improvement in free throw %, especially if his other skills include more posting up and drives to the basket, meaning getting fouled more. Perhaps they have a top notch sports psychologist?

His skill set at Colorado had better include a significant improvement in free throw %, especially if his other skills include more posting up and drives to the basket, meaning getting fouled more. Perhaps they have a top notch sports psychologist?
Yeah I don't quite get Jaki's statements. I loved him as a competitor, but he had ample playing time and opportunities to do more than shoot open 3's on offense. And what is wrong with playing defense? That's kind of like, half of the game. And as said, he flubbed up at the rim a lot on O. Maybe his hot GF just didn't like the competition from these Wazzu beauties.....

Reactions: ATACFD
Everybody thinks the hot prom
date will put out more than the Sadie Hawkins date the week before the dance

Many things can be true at once. Jaki was definitely a 3 and D player at WSU. WSU's offense under Smith was not always the greatest. I will be curious to see what he does at CU. I would guess more of the same, much like DJ Rodman was about the same at USC. We shall see.

Hard to not like Jakimovski. He was moved to the "3" last year. He seems to lack some clarity around being a clone of his favorite player Luka Dončić? He hasn't shown that at this point. Maybe the change of scenery (or altitude) is what he needs to get there.

Last edited:
Early on, his first 1,2 seasons, etc, Jaki did struggle shooting, a little tiny bit, at the Foul line, and from 3, and struggled between semi some to semi lot at driving, and finishing at rim, and struggled a little tiny bit with passing well, and turning ball over a wee bit to much, and did NOT rebound as well, etc.

Then either his sophomore, or junior year, he improved. Then he had 1 super break out year, where he shot well from 3, shot decent, ok from foul line, rebounded decent, ok, good, played good positional defense, took, drew charges from opposing players, passed better, turned ball over less, drove sometimes to hoop, and finished more at hoop, when he did so, etc.

Then his final year, the wheels almost came totally off, at least for about 3/5's half the season, and was INJURED, just like he had been INJURED in previous seasons.

The Wheels practically coming off, ABSOLUTELY TANKED his OVERALL averages, and clouded the situation.

And that's only part of it.

In international overseas PRO play, it was more a finesse game, less physical, where Jaki was a 3, Wing, occasional stretch semi point forward at 6-7.5, 6-8, almost stick figure thin, that drove to hoop, passed a lot, shot a lot of midrange, 3 pointers, etc.

He had the potential to be more then 3 and D.

But within Smith's System, Jaki never was going to be more then 3 and D to Smith, because of Smith's system, because too many were better then him, semi burying him at times, semi stunting his growth, development potential, at times, because in College Basketball in USA, he was a bit of a TWEENER, and was not fast enough, etc, to play the 3, WING, and was too thin, etc, to play the 4, PF, etc, and could only semi play the stretch 4, Stretch PF.

If Jaki had spent all 4 years in either a system semi like Riley's, Boyles, and had had the time, freedom, etc, to develop more then being 3 and D, he Jaki, would have been more then a 3 and D player.

Would he, and will he do well, do more then 3 and D, in Boyle's system? I don't know know, can't say, etc, but he semi might semi probably, do well and more then 3 and D, in Boyles system.

We'll see what happens.

Nah, under Riley's offense you must be able to finish at the rim. Smith never had much of a finisher in his entire time in Pullman. Last year, Rice was the best that he had over several years. Even that went down hill toward the end of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT