ADVERTISEMENT

Ultimate insult

Glad Cougar

Hall Of Fame
Apr 2, 2003
Aberdeen SD
Oregonian/Oregon Live Pac-12 beat writer Joe Freeman commits the unpardonable sin. Here's a copy and paste of the beginning of his latest "Around the Pac-12" weekly feature:

After an entertaining Saturday filled with marquee matchups and must-see TV, it’s hard to decide where to begin today’s Around the Pac-12.

Do we start with the Oregon Ducks’ dismantling of the Colorado Buffaloes? With Dan Lanning’s pregame verbal undressing of the Deion Sanders hype train?

Do we go with the Washington Cougars’ impressive victory over the Oregon State Beavers in the Abandoned Bowl? Or should we delve into the USC Trojans’ leaky defense — and sloppy win — against lowly Arizona State?

Washington Cougars? God, nothing gets my goat more than this all-too-common mistake. But it's usually done by media folks "back east", not the Pac-12 beat writer from a Pacific NW major media outlet. I've written to Joe, so maybe this gets "corrected", but that's a mistake that should never happen. Especially after the UW and others screwed us and OSU over.

I'm sure glad we beat the Oregon Beavers.

Glad Cougar

Oregonian/Oregon Live Pac-12 beat writer Joe Freeman commits the unpardonable sin. Here's a copy and paste of the beginning of his latest "Around the Pac-12" weekly feature:

After an entertaining Saturday filled with marquee matchups and must-see TV, it’s hard to decide where to begin today’s Around the Pac-12.

Do we start with the Oregon Ducks’ dismantling of the Colorado Buffaloes? With Dan Lanning’s pregame verbal undressing of the Deion Sanders hype train?

Do we go with the Washington Cougars’ impressive victory over the Oregon State Beavers in the Abandoned Bowl? Or should we delve into the USC Trojans’ leaky defense — and sloppy win — against lowly Arizona State?

Washington Cougars? God, nothing gets my goat more than this all-too-common mistake. But it's usually done by media folks "back east", not the Pac-12 beat writer from a Pacific NW major media outlet. I've written to Joe, so maybe this gets "corrected", but that's a mistake that should never happen. Especially after the UW and others screwed us and OSU over.

Glad Cougar
Corso has always done this too, even before his health issues...

Both are bad.

Glad Cougar

Errrrr.....it's funny.....err......why can't you take a joke.......errrrr. (beat writer wipes drool from corner of mouth).

Errrrr.....it's funny.....err......why can't you take a joke.......errrrr. (beat writer wipes drool from corner of mouth).
I know it’s not coming from anyone on the team but that shit goes on the bulletin board during Oregon week.

Glad Cougar
I thought this was pretty great:

The Denver Post called out Lanning and the Ducks for his substance-over-flash quip. “Talk about the pot calling the kettle green. Or yellow. Or chartreuse. Or whatever shade Oregon happens to be wearing in a given week. The Ducks on Saturday sported cleats that change color, we kid thee nay, according to your body temperature. For more than two decades, Oregon’s performed in more wardrobe combinations than Elton John. So, yeah, the idea of Ducks football coach Dan Lanning pointing fingers at Deion Sanders and CU for choosing sizzle over steak is pretty rich. But you do you, young man.”

I thought this was pretty great:

The Denver Post called out Lanning and the Ducks for his substance-over-flash quip. “Talk about the pot calling the kettle green. Or yellow. Or chartreuse. Or whatever shade Oregon happens to be wearing in a given week. The Ducks on Saturday sported cleats that change color, we kid thee nay, according to your body temperature. For more than two decades, Oregon’s performed in more wardrobe combinations than Elton John. So, yeah, the idea of Ducks football coach Dan Lanning pointing fingers at Deion Sanders and CU for choosing sizzle over steak is pretty rich. But you do you, young man.”
Like I said, the true offense to Oregon is that their brand was playing second fiddle to Colorado’s Prime brand.

Reactions: UberCougars
I usually point out the R in Washington is silent when people say it that way.
True story– years ago, I attended a luncheon in Vancouver to introduce WSU's new football coach, Dennis Erickson. Throughout his talk, he put the "R" in Warshington, too. It apparently annoyed one female Cougar fan who, during the Q and A with the audience, asked Erickson in a smart ass tone why he continually called his new school Warshington State. Erickson snapped back sarcastically by saying maybe he should have never been hired or maybe he should be fired for such a horrendous offense. The middle-aged woman slinked back into her chair with a red face. Nobody ever challenged Erickson on the pronunciation again.

Glad Cougar

True story– years ago, I attended a luncheon in Vancouver to introduce WSU's new football coach, Dennis Erickson. Throughout his talk, he put the "R" in Warshington, too. It apparently annoyed one female Cougar fan who, during the Q and A with the audience, asked Erickson in a smart ass tone why he continually called his new school Warshington State. Erickson snapped back sarcastically by saying maybe he should have never been hired or maybe he should be fired for such a horrendous offense. The middle-aged woman slinked back into her chair with a red face. Nobody ever challenged Erickson on the pronunciation again.

Glad Cougar
Why do I feel this took place at Club Green Meadows?

I think it did, but my memory from 35 years ago is getting hazy!

Glad Cougar
Dementia getting to you too? Mine is more short term. I can remember shit from 1st grade, but can't remember what I ate yesterday. Buncha Coors Light, I know that. Hmm, maybe that factors in to my memory loss...... :)

Dementia getting to you too? Mine is more short term. I can remember shit from 1st grade, but can't remember what I ate yesterday. Buncha Coors Light, I know that. Hmm, maybe that factors in to my memory loss...... :)
That is dementia’s norm.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT