ADVERTISEMENT

Update: it was the refs' fault

chipdouglas

Hall Of Fame
Mar 16, 2005
The official staff writeup from the paid UW 247 site says: we'd have won if not for the refs! He describes it as an "up and down battle," although, since UW never led, I think it was always a "down battle"? Goes on to say the game was "mired in controversy," though only UW seems to be talking about it, and the only evidence are Tweets, including from Dave "Softy" Mahler. Maybe they should replay the game but give UW a 21pt head start since Seattle-based Softy thinks the Mutts got hosed?

pic.png

Reactions: L.S. Dietz
Rich since they wouldn’t have sniffed the NC without the refs bailing them out in the AC, OSU, ASU, did I miss any?

That aside questionable holding call doesn’t equal 3 TDs. That’s BCC math right there.

Michigan was clearly the better team and beats them 10 out of 10 times. Completely dominated both lines of scrimmage, you can’t win a football game that way unless you are like +3 or 4 in turnovers.

There are a lot of reports out from unbiased sources on how bad the ref’s were but I don’t know because I didn’t watch the game and had no interest in watching it. Still, the huskies lost and that was a good thing!

There are a lot of reports out from unbiased sources on how bad the ref’s were but I don’t know because I didn’t watch the game and had no interest in watching it. Still, the huskies lost and that was a good thing!

There were a lot of blown calls and Michigan got away with holding on multiple occasions. So the mutts aren't wrong that the officiating was poor. It's just a bit hypocritical for them to worry about it when they lose but they ignore it when it helped them win close games all year long. Huck the Fuskies.

While I enjoyed watching UW lose, there was massive DB holding by Michigan which was mostly not called. There was a helmet to helmet play that would have been targeting in the PAC (no question), but didn't even rate a personal foul flag. It was pretty much "let them play and only occasionally call anything" other than false starts and offsides. There was even one fumble call that should at least have been reviewed but simply moved ahead. All of that does not explain the loss, which probably goes back to UW letting M get 3 monster running plays early and then not being able to punch the ball in from inside the 10. Michigan was clearly the better team, but the beneficial calls favored M more than UW in this game, which seems like Karma after the way the officials helped UW to their 12-0 record.

And listening to UW complain about bandwagon fans is really too good...I got a good laugh out of that one. No appreciation for irony on Montlake....

I think they'd better get accustomed to handsy DB play and no-call targeting hits...they did choose a new league and will be the fresh meat. When you throw in long travel and cold weather, they might start to wonder why they didn't stay in the PAC12 and have a consistant chance to advance to the Group of 12. Really makes me feel bad for them...

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
The refs were letting contact go and for physical play to dictate the game. Huskies weren't physical, Michigan was, Huskies got rolled up. (Score should have been much higher).

The refs were letting contact go and for physical play to dictate the game. Huskies weren't physical, Michigan was, Huskies got rolled up. (Score should have been much higher).
No one lifts weights in the Pac 12. At least not enough. Sure as hell not like the Big Ten and SEC. The league is just not as physical as some others.

Reactions: Cougini5591
No one lifts weights in the Pac 12. At least not enough. Sure as hell not like the Big Ten and SEC. The league is just not as physical as some others.
Pac-12 offensives and defensives are built around speed and skill players. Big-10, SEC are physical pro-style teams and play. UW, Oregon, USC and UCLA are going to have to adjust or they will be left behind.

While I enjoyed watching UW lose, there was massive DB holding by Michigan which was mostly not called. There was a helmet to helmet play that would have been targeting in the PAC (no question), but didn't even rate a personal foul flag. It was pretty much "let them play and only occasionally call anything" other than false starts and offsides. There was even one fumble call that should at least have been reviewed but simply moved ahead. All of that does not explain the loss, which probably goes back to UW letting M get 3 monster running plays early and then not being able to punch the ball in from inside the 10. Michigan was clearly the better team, but the beneficial calls favored M more than UW in this game, which seems like Karma after the way the officials helped UW to their 12-0 record.

And listening to UW complain about bandwagon fans is really too good...I got a good laugh out of that one. No appreciation for irony on Montlake....
I would agree that the refs let a fair amount of contact go, but the reality is that the mutts have zero cause to complain about it because that is EXACTLY what they have been doing all year. And they got away with it a few times in this game also, but it wasn't as noticeable since Michigan only threw it 19 times, instead of the usual PAC opponent that would toss it up 40-60 times per game.

Unless I missed one of them, there WAS a targeting flag thrown on Michigan, but it was reviewed and found to not be a foul. They got that call right because it was not a defenseless player, he didn't really launch himself, and contact was not with the top of the helmet.

It was a very restful night's sleep last night after seeing the mutts demolished by the Wolverines. But I can now return to generally rooting against them, which I have done ever since 1/1/1998.

Hey muttskies- welcome to the BIG 10/16/18/whatever!!!!

I've seen some social media complaining about the officiating too. I think it's pretty funny, considering how frequently they've benefited from the same and denied it.

But, realistically, I'm sure none of us would actually expect UW fans to admit that they weren't the better team.

I've seen some social media complaining about the officiating too. I think it's pretty funny, considering how frequently they've benefited from the same and denied it.

But, realistically, I'm sure none of us would actually expect UW fans to admit that they weren't the better team.
Just watch- their official narrative will be that the refs screwed them out of their rightful title, so that will allow them to claim another half of a title.

Pac-12 offensives and defensives are built around speed and skill players. Big-10, SEC are physical pro-style teams and play. UW, Oregon, USC and UCLA are going to have to adjust or they will be left behind.

The SEC runs faster than the Pac 12.

Those leagues play a variety of football that requires kids to play the run and be physical. The Pac 12 does not. Regardless of scheme, those leagues do a better job overall with strength. The Pac 12 does not.

I think the 4 former Pac 12 teams will be fine against the middle class of the Big Ten. It could be a rude awakening against Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, etc.

UW shouldn’t have even been playing in the NC game, true top 4 was clearly Michigan, bama, Georgia, and Ohio State.

UW shouldn’t have even been playing in the NC game, true top 4 was clearly Michigan, bama, Georgia, and Ohio State.
How dare you not include Notre Dame. They won a title 50 years ago and are still playing, so they deserved a playoff berth too.

The SEC runs faster than the Pac 12.

Those leagues play a variety of football that requires kids to play the run and be physical. The Pac 12 does not. Regardless of scheme, those leagues do a better job overall with strength. The Pac 12 does not.

I think the 4 former Pac 12 teams will be fine against the middle class of the Big Ten. It could be a rude awakening against Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, etc.
sports radio hacks here in Portland think it will be just the opposite, ducks et al will pass them silly and they will have no answer

Just for funsies, ESPN decided to show a picture of the last time UM won the natty and it was a photo of their (tainted) victory over the Cougs.

sports radio hacks here in Portland think it will be just the opposite, ducks et al will pass them silly and they will have no answer

And if the refs let them mug the receivers every down it will change their tune. Could be a problem throwing the ball in the midwest in late November too.

UW fans need to dump the " Bow Down to Washington" crap, they just got "Bent over" by Michigan. Big 10 schools should welcome them with " Bend over Washington" I hear the UW players talk about missed opportunity, and certainly there were many of those, refs blah, blah blah. However, Michigan was far more physical up front, their defensive linemen just blew by or ran over the Husky Oline several times. And when your rush for over 300 yards your OLine dominated as well. Penix was off and missed throws, but Michigan's pressure made him shaky. Simple fact, Penix completion %, when under pressure is well below other college QB's when under pressure. Michigan made him uncomfortable most of the time, and he made himself uncomfortable the rest of the time. Washington's margin for error was very thin in this game, that had to take advantages of opportunities as they presented themselves, and they didn't.

As I usually do on stuff like this, I bet a little on UW covering the spread, at least, to take some of the pain away if those bastards got a natty that we'd have to hear about for 50 years. I wouldn't have minded a UW loss by a FG on that basis. Once that was out the window, I was rooting for a score that wouldn't allow them to argue that it was a close game, especially with these excuses with the refs that I knew were coming. That was achieved.

Sure, I get that they may complain a bit about the refs, but Michigan clearly outplayed them. Penix isn't the same guy under pressure. He's great most of the time when facing a weak pass rush behind that solid OL.

As I usually do on stuff like this, I bet a little on UW covering the spread, at least, to take some of the pain away if those bastards got a natty that we'd have to hear about for 50 years. I wouldn't have minded a UW loss by a FG on that basis. Once that was out the window, I was rooting for a score that wouldn't allow them to argue that it was a close game, especially with these excuses with the refs that I knew were coming. That was achieved.

Sure, I get that they may complain a bit about the refs, but Michigan clearly outplayed them. Penix isn't the same guy under pressure. He's great most of the time when facing a weak pass rush behind that solid OL.
Yeah.

I've seen that game play out dozens, maybe hundreds of times in Martin Stadium. The stronger, more physical team wears the opponent down, and the dam breaks in the fourth quarter.

I would agree that the refs let a fair amount of contact go, but the reality is that the mutts have zero cause to complain about it because that is EXACTLY what they have been doing all year. And they got away with it a few times in this game also, but it wasn't as noticeable since Michigan only threw it 19 times, instead of the usual PAC opponent that would toss it up 40-60 times per game.

Unless I missed one of them, there WAS a targeting flag thrown on Michigan, but it was reviewed and found to not be a foul. They got that call right because it was not a defenseless player, he didn't really launch himself, and contact was not with the top of the helmet.

It was a very restful night's sleep last night after seeing the mutts demolished by the Wolverines. But I can now return to generally rooting against them, which I have done ever since 1/1/1998.

Hey muttskies- welcome to the BIG 10/16/18/whatever!!!!
Bingo.
  1. Mutts got away with murder all year. It love-bites 'em in one game, and UW thinks it's Enemy of the State
  2. All the people saying "WHAT ABOUT THE HOLDING?" Guys, it was a 3-TD win. It wasn't close. Holding wasn't the difference. And if you think it WAS the difference, welcome to the club: there are 100 of you every year. Georgia's 29-game win streak was snapped on a bad 4th & 4 "catch" call that led to 7pts in a 3pt loss. So instead of playing, UGA - and 100 other teams with injury and officiating excuses - watched the playoffs from home

Reactions: 425cougfan
Bingo.
  1. Mutts got away with murder all year. It love-bites 'em in one game, and UW thinks it's Enemy of the State
  2. All the people saying "WHAT ABOUT THE HOLDING?" Guys, it was a 3-TD win. It wasn't close. Holding wasn't the difference. And if you think it WAS the difference, welcome to the club: there are 100 of you every year. Georgia's 29-game win streak was snapped on a bad 4th & 4 "catch" call that led to 7pts in a 3pt loss. So instead of playing, UGA - and 100 other teams with injury and officiating excuses - watched the playoffs from home

While I hate the uw more than most and I wont make excuses for the way the uw was shoved around all night, I wouldn't go so far as to say the game was that far out of hand. The holding call bringing the ball back on the route inside the 20 killed them. They went from potentially driving in the redzone to tie…. to giving up a score and then the pick to seal it.

Mich mugged the shit outta their wrs all night. No calls. At which point the uw needed to start mugging the Mich wrs back and put an end to their passing game too.

Implying that it was some 3 td beat down and wasnt close with a pick and a goal to go drive isnt accurate at all.

While I hate the uw more than most and I wont make excuses for the way the uw was shoved around all night, I wouldn't go so far as to say the game was that far out of hand. The holding call bringing the ball back on the route inside the 20 killed them. They went from potentially driving in the redzone to tie…. to giving up a score and then the pick to seal it.

Mich mugged the shit outta their wrs all night. No calls. At which point the uw needed to start mugging the Mich wrs back and put an end to their passing game too.

Implying that it was some 3 td beat down and wasnt close with a pick and a goal to go drive isnt accurate at all.
They gave up over 300 yards rushing and Penix had a horrible game. Even when the game was "close" it felt like Michigan was the better team. UW had won games like this all year but they had been living dangerously and it caught up with them.

Reactions: Coug90

Michigan treated them like Indiana or Rutgers. I get what you’re saying that there were a couple of plays that could have made it closer. Michigan also didn’t make it twice on 4th down which was essentially two turnovers. When you run over and can’t stop the run that’s the epitome of getting your ass kicked in football.

As for the refs, 99% of the time in playoff/title games they let the players play. Why they called that soft hold who knows but if UW wasn’t playing the same game when they were holding like a MF all year that’s on them.

Reactions: chipdouglas

That was me betting for Fuw on previous occasions too.

I figured it was worth losing money to experience the real joy of them losing.

Good times. Good times.

Reactions: 425cougfan
That was me betting for Fuw on previous occasions too.

I figured it was worth losing money to experience the real joy of them losing.

Good times. Good times.

That was my plan this year. Walked into the local tribal sports book and said “I’ll take the money line on the dogs”. Reply, “Sorry sir, can’t bet on instate colleges”
Saved me $100 bucks I guess.

Regarding officiating, it was clear they were going to let them play up to a certain point, which makes for the best kind of game.

Michigan's DBs began to push the envelope as a result, and when they did, it was called - but it often didn't show up on the stat sheet. On UW's TD, a receiver was held and another receiver caught it, so UW declined the penalty. In the 2H, a Michigan DB very obviously grabbed a UW receiver and was called - but it was offset by an OL hold by UW, so penalties offset. There are 2 examples of Michigan getting called for interfering in the secondary and it doesn't show up anywhere.

Everyone has their favorite LOS holding call but, again, we're talking about a 3-TD walk. Moreover, once Michigan built a lead controlling the clock and the LOS, they started playing JJ Hero Ball to break it open. It didn't work. When they went back to vintage B10 football in the 4Q, they blew it open. They always could have blown it open. by returning to what worked in the 1Q and the 4Q. It was an illusion that it was close.

Reactions: LeachPack
Regarding officiating, it was clear they were going to let them play up to a certain point, which makes for the best kind of game.

Michigan's DBs began to push the envelope as a result, and when they did, it was called - but it often didn't show up on the stat sheet. On UW's TD, a receiver was held and another receiver caught it, so UW declined the penalty. In the 2H, a Michigan DB very obviously grabbed a UW receiver and was called - but it was offset by an OL hold by UW, so penalties offset. There are 2 examples of Michigan getting called for interfering in the secondary and it doesn't show up anywhere.

Everyone has their favorite LOS holding call but, again, we're talking about a 3-TD walk. Moreover, once Michigan built a lead controlling the clock and the LOS, they started playing JJ Hero Ball to break it open. It didn't work. When they went back to vintage B10 football in the 4Q, they blew it open. They always could have blown it open. by returning to what worked in the 1Q and the 4Q. It was an illusion that it was close.

Penix and Rome give you a home run hitter’s chance. They can score from anywhere on the field. They can do it in 1 play, changing the game immediately.

That ability is the equalizer for Michigan doing a good job on the LOS. The ability to answer quickly and from anywhere is what makes uw dangerous and kept them within a score. Did Michigan do a good job blocking them up? Yes. It was still 20-13. The uw did have defensive stops. Michigan didn’t score on every drive. Michigan did punt the ball.

Michigan held the living shit outta their wrs for a reason. They were outmatched on the back end. If they didn’t hold em it could easily have been Penix to Rome all night. Great game plan for Michigan and shame on the refs for not calling it all night. We only saw a few examples on the tv. I would love to see the game film to know exactly how bad it was and how many calls weren’t made.

But a 3 TD walk? When one of those scores was an easy bucket after a 80 yard pick return?

Nope.

I'll just say that nobody looks at our 14+ point losses to Oregon and other teams over the years where we were only down by one score in the fourth quarter and says, "WSU lost a close game". Double digit losses are double digit losses.

Penix and Rome give you a home run hitter’s chance. They can score from anywhere on the field. They can do it in 1 play, changing the game immediately.

That ability is the equalizer for Michigan doing a good job on the LOS. The ability to answer quickly and from anywhere is what makes uw dangerous and kept them within a score. Did Michigan do a good job blocking them up? Yes. It was still 20-13. The uw did have defensive stops. Michigan didn’t score on every drive. Michigan did punt the ball.

Michigan held the living shit outta their wrs for a reason. They were outmatched on the back end. If they didn’t hold em it could easily have been Penix to Rome all night. Great game plan for Michigan and shame on the refs for not calling it all night. We only saw a few examples on the tv. I would love to see the game film to know exactly how bad it was and how many calls weren’t made.

But a 3 TD walk? When one of those scores was an easy bucket after a 80 yard pick return?

Nope.
I dont think it was as bad as you think. Forget the DBs, Michigan was getting home with 4 all night. No chance when that happens, I don’t care who the QB and receivers are. Physical play is more likely to get flagged when a QB has time in the pocket and Penix didn’t. Of course they were physical that’s how they play, it’s the title game so less flags will get thrown, and if you’ve watched UW at all this year you know that Odunze gives a 2 hand shove on damn near every deep ball and back shoulder throw that was contested.

Joe Klatt had a great preview of the game last week, and he mentioned that if anyone was built to stop the Washington, it was Michigan. He compared the Washington offense to Ohio State, in how they throw the ball to elite receivers with an accurate QB. Said Michigan had to build their defense to beat Ohio St in order to win the Big 10. He said that he felt Penix was a better QB than the OSU qb, and the UW recievers were as good or on par with OSU. Said Michigan would bring pressure with 4 and drop the rest, and if Washington's line could protect with just the 4 rushers they's do well, if they didn't Michigan wins. And that's pretty much the way it played out, the one Defensive lineman for Michigan just ran over the right guard of Washington and knocked him on is ass many times during that game.

If M hadn’t gone on 4th down and failed late in the first half it could have been 34-6.

If M hadn’t gone on 4th down and failed late in the first half it could have been 34-6.
Right. The narrative that Michigan didn’t make any mistakes and we were just a call and missed throw from penix away from a one possession game is an interesting take. Michigan manhandled them. You could tell in the first quarter they were going to wear them down and run away if they didn’t make too many mistakes, and they did.

Reactions: chipdouglas
Right. The narrative that Michigan didn’t make any mistakes and we were just a call and missed throw from penix away from a one possession game is an interesting take. Michigan manhandled them. You could tell in the first quarter they were going to wear them down and run away if they didn’t make too many mistakes, and they did.

If anything, I'll give the mutts credit for making it interesting a lot longer than they should have. I was envisioning a 28-3 halftime lead based on that first quarter. UW didn't quit and while I blame Harbaugh for being an idiot and not punting.....they took the momentum provided and made it interesting. I was surprised at how worn out the Michigan defense looked early in the fourth quarter. It was starting to look like they were the ones that were going to get steamrolled late.

That said, once Penix misfired on a couple passes and the momentum flipped....the mutts got manhandled at the end of the game by a more motivated team in the moment.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
I'll just say that nobody looks at our 14+ point losses to Oregon and other teams over the years where we were only down by one score in the fourth quarter and says, "WSU lost a close game". Double digit losses are double digit losses.
They are to people who just read headlines . As a coach and one that is an underdog you want to be in striking distance, Ie one score in the 4th quarter . Biggs is right on this one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT