ADVERTISEMENT

Ward declaring for the draft

So, he over played his NIL hand.

This isn't going to go how he thinks it's going to go.
I don’t think he over played his NIL hand. Sounds more like he had scouts evaluate him, and they told him he’d be making more money by entering the NFL.

Rookie 7th rounders make 750,000$ base, and typically more after year one. The typical 7th round deal is 4 years 3.9 million. Say he was going to make 2 million at Miami, he’s giving up a 1.25 million now to potentially get to a new contract a year earlier and earn a multi-million sooner.

I don’t know how he’ll be and where he’ll be drafted, or how he’ll progress through his career, but I highly doubt this has anything to do with NIL money evaporating for him.

Reactions: LeachPack
I don’t think he over played his NIL hand. Sounds more like he had scouts evaluate him, and they told him he’d be making more money by entering the NFL.

Rookie 7th rounders make 750,000$ base, and typically more after year one. The typical 7th round deal is 4 years 3.9 million. Say he was going to make 2 million at Miami, he’s giving up a 1.25 million now to potentially get to a new contract a year earlier and earn a multi-million sooner.

I don’t know how he’ll be and where he’ll be drafted, or how he’ll progress through his career, but I highly doubt this has anything to do with NIL money evaporating for him.
Well think of it like this. Any money he gets from a college isn’t going to be a multi year deal with guarantees. At least some of the slotted rookie deals are guaranteed. Where he’s likely going to get drafted I wouldn’t guess it’s much more than $2M if that. He could also take the $2M and get hurt next year. There’s risk either way. I think he could have the chance to be a 1-3 round pick if he stayed plus getting the $2M so I think he would be better served to stay in college.

Reactions: mikalalas

This makes more sense. And he still doesn’t have an agent if a NIL deal that’s to his liking comes along.

If he gets drafted rounds 2-5, this was a great decision. 6-7th is a tweener and if ends up UDFA he should have taken the bag. I think he’ll end up as a 4-6th round pick myself. Would be nice to get him into the Sr bowl or other all star games to showcase his talents direct to the NFL coaches but he has some pretty good golf from WSU (and some that’s not so good but just about every qb has some oh shit moments).

Wtf is up with the Cam Ward hate? The guy will be representing WSU as an NFL draft pick.

As I’ve stated before, WSU’s offensive line was absolutely atrocious. NFL people told him he’s good enough to get drafted. This is a clear win for the program and adds to our QB legacy.

Wtf is up with the Cam Ward hate? The guy will be representing WSU as an NFL draft pick.

As I’ve stated before, WSU’s offensive line was absolutely atrocious. NFL people told him he’s good enough to get drafted. This is a clear win for the program and adds to our QB legacy.
Why do you guys keep talking about hate? Cam himself wasn’t sure he was going pro and was looking at NIL options. I think it’s reasonable to speculate risk/reward with different options. I’m not sure I’ve seen one person here wishing ill will on Cam, it’s just discussion about how his game will translate to the next level. F’in chill out man, everyone wants him to succeed FFS. If we can’t have these debates, what else do you want to talk about…politics? Loyals dick?

None of that is news from a month ago; he had that information then and could have just as easily declared for the draft then.

He overplayed his NIL hand.

And before you say " well, his draft status changed"... according to who? Agents? Eric Dickerson?

And fwiw, this isn't hate for CW, it's hate for guys (Cougs) getting into situations and having sycophants and yes-men f them out of what's best for them.

Borghi, Bobo, and Boobie approve this message.

Last edited:

Look....I really hope that Cam Ward gets drafted and has a great career and represents himself and WSU well.

I feel better about him going after the NFL bag instead of the NIL bag because at least he's still a Coug and not just some a-hole who went somewhere else to finish his career.

I don't hate him but I think that he's highly over-rated in the eyes of many. Hope he proves me wrong.

Well think of it like this. Any money he gets from a college isn’t going to be a multi year deal with guarantees. At least some of the slotted rookie deals are guaranteed. Where he’s likely going to get drafted I wouldn’t guess it’s much more than $2M if that. He could also take the $2M and get hurt next year. There’s risk either way. I think he could have the chance to be a 1-3 round pick if he stayed plus getting the $2M so I think he would be better served to stay in college.
Where is he more likely to get hurt next season? Holding a clipboard in the NFL or being the target as a starting QB on a highly ranked college team in a tough league?

Cam needs more polish to finish what he started. It comes down to the team that gets him and the system they run. Thought a high profile college would have benefited him. More eyes on him for a better draft.

Cam needs more polish to finish what he started. It comes down to the team that gets him and the system they run. Thought a high profile college would have benefited him. More eyes on him for a better draft.
To me he has a good arm. Mandatory.

But I see 3 issues. One, apparently he isn't very fast, if our white backup is faster (he is). No racism intended. Two, that sidearm sling ain't gonna cut it in the NFL. Yeah I know some NFL QB's get away with it when needed. Three, his tendency to bail backwards out of the pocket when pressured.

To me he has a good arm. Mandatory.

But I see 3 issues. One, apparently he isn't very fast, if our white backup is faster (he is). No racism intended. Two, that sidearm sling ain't gonna cut it in the NFL. Yeah I know some NFL QB's get away with it when needed. Three, his tendency to bail backwards out of the pocket when prepressured
That "sidearm sling" is actually desirable in the NFL.

Hth.

None of that is news from a month ago; he had that information then and could have just as easily declared for the draft then.

He overplayed his NIL hand.

And before you say " well, his draft status changed"... according to who? Agents? Eric Dickerson?

And fwiw, this isn't hate for CW, it's hate for guys (Cougs) getting into situations and having sycophants and yes-men f them out of what's best for them.

Borghi, Bobo, and Boobie approve this message.
Reports have been Cam wanted to go the NFL route from the moment he stepped on campus. The only reason he didn't get declare was due to the bidding war for NIL. I think Cam decided to act like a big time recruit and listen for offers but was intentionally asking for a ridiculous sum to see if someone would take him up on it. No one went to the 2.5 plus number he wanted so he went pro. It's win-win for him.

Reports have been Cam wanted to go the NFL route from the moment he stepped on campus. The only reason he didn't get declare was due to the bidding war for NIL. I think Cam decided to act like a big time recruit and listen for offers but was intentionally asking for a ridiculous sum to see if someone would take him up on it. No one went to the 2.5 plus number he wanted so he went pro. It's win-win for him.
Yeah, if anything he just got 3-4 weeks of premium marketing in the football world for free.

I guess the question then would be what are his expectations for the NFL?

His draft position will relegate him to 2nd or 3rd string, and barring a catastrophic Brock Purdy situation, he won't see the field for several years if at all. These talking heads and scouts have their careers invested into the athletes they anoint as the next big thing, so it behooves them to keep propping up failing qbs.

If his goal is to start and be a star in the NFL he would be helped immensely by staying in college and improving his draft stock to 1st or 2nd round so he could be officially "annointed."

Last edited:
Where is he more likely to get hurt next season? Holding a clipboard in the NFL or being the target as a starting QB on a highly ranked college team in a tough league?
Well considering how many QBs have started in the nfl next year (60+) his chances of seeing the field aren’t as far fetched as you might think. That’s where you look at the risk. Make $2M with a slight chance you get hurt but a reasonable expectation you’ll be drafted 2, 3, 4 rounds higher with a lot more guaranteed money.

I think he has the skillset to warrant being drafted. Elusive in the pocket, strong arm, good attitude. Has the potential to be a QB2 or a useful practice squad QB.

If he gets drafted, even as a late round pick, the decision will have paid off for him. I respect people who bet on themselves.

It's his life he can do what he wants, I appreciate the fact I got to watch him in a Coug uniform and if he makes it in the NFL, he's a Coug QB, it never hurts to have those on an NFL roster as a recruiting tool. He's exciting, talented, and yes, he has his flaws. And this year was disappointing, there was at least 2-3 games on the schedule that we should have won, had he played to his potential. Yes, the untimely fumbles and INTS were frustrating, and he'll need to fix those things at the next level. If he does fix them, he could be in the NFL for many years, might be a back up, but he has more arm talent and scrambling ability than many I see playing on Sundays, I am sure he'll be a backup or a practice squad player for a while. If he doesn't fix the flaws, he won't last long. He won't cause trouble, he's a good teammate, works hard, and I wish him the best of luck. Another year in college would have helped him to become a higher round pick, but eventually you make in the NFL or you don't, and if he does succeed in the long run his draft status won't matter as much. I assume he gets invited to the combine, and he needs to put in a lot of work between now and then. He is someone that could improve his draft status at the combine with a good performance.

I wish him nothing but the best, I hope he has a successful NFL career.

I think he has the skillset to warrant being drafted. Elusive in the pocket, strong arm, good attitude. Has the potential to be a QB2 or a useful practice squad QB.

If he gets drafted, even as a late round pick, the decision will have paid off for him. I respect people who bet on themselves.

All of us hope that it works out for him...even those of us who have reservations about the likelihood of success. I hope that he does amazing at the Combine and bumps up his draft stock.

Reactions: Coug90

I don’t think there’s any question he gets drafted. Smart that he’s not getting an agent so he can still leave his options open if he doesn’t like what he hears. The range on where he gets drafted is pretty broad. 2nd round to 6th probably? Huge difference between the two in terms of guaranteed money and chances to make two deep on roster (not practice squad). Thing about going pro, it only takes one team to fall in love with you, and with his skill set I can see a team thinking they could fix his flaws and turn him into a special player.

All of us hope that it works out for him...even those of us who have reservations about the likelihood of success. I hope that he does amazing at the Combine and bumps up his draft stock.
For a lot of players, the thinking that they would be better off remaining in college to improve their draft stock is flawed logic. Cam Ward signing with a middling Miami, FL program for one season seems loaded with potential landmines. Of course if he balls out, it wouldn't hurt him, but what if he gets injured or benched? That seems at least as likely as anything else. Is Miami going to fix his flaws? I don't see that happening.

With Cam it's the SMALL things, like INTANGIBLES, NUANCES, LACK of CONSISTENTLY progressing thru reads QUICK enough.

And things like running backwards, fumbling, interceptions DID NOT happen even remotely close to lot, as Ward had one of the LOWER, amount of fumbles, int's.

Cam's problem is that his RARE bad decisions, fumbles, int's, running backwards, etc, came at BAD times, critical game deciding moments, that LOST GAMES.

Some of that was Cam's between the ears, and some was the O LINE, WR DROPS, PLAY CALLING, LACK OF RUNNING GAME, LACK OF COACHING, etc.

That's on the NEGATIVE side.

On the positive side, Cam has strong arm, can, does make ALL the throws, LOW int's, accurate arm, elusive in pocket, altho not as fast, is faster, can be, is fast enough, runs well, scrambles well, throws accurate enough on run, well enough, good attitude, character, some good leadership qualities.

Temporarily for now, does not have the IT factor, altho can develop the IT factor, IF he either were to stay, be in right place in college, or if he were to end up in right place in NFL.

For now Cam is probably a 3rd round to 7th round pick depending on how he does in combine, workouts for teams, interviews, etc.

If Cam were to stay, he would be a 1st to 4th round pick.

It's smart that he didn't get a agent, so that if it looks like his draft stock isn't high enough, he can choose to stay in college, etc.

For a lot of players, the thinking that they would be better off remaining in college to improve their draft stock is flawed logic. Cam Ward signing with a middling Miami, FL program for one season seems loaded with potential landmines. Of course if he balls out, it wouldn't hurt him, but what if he gets injured or benched? That seems at least as likely as anything else. Is Miami going to fix his flaws? I don't see that happening.
That’s why if you’re Ward and you’re staying, F the money go to the program with the best OLine and run game. That’s what is going to get him paid.

Ward in the Senior Bowl now. Think I’ve heard that officially puts a wrap on his college eligibility…maybe I’m wrong.

Ward in the Senior Bowl now. Think I’ve heard that officially puts a wrap on his college eligibility…maybe I’m wrong.

Ward is a Jr, so he shouldn't be able to play in Senior Bowl, so why is he in Senior Bowl?

For now Cam is probably a 3rd round to 7th round pick depending on how he does in combine, workouts for teams, interviews, etc.

With Cam it's the SMALL things, like INTANGIBLES, NUANCES, LACK of CONSISTENTLY progressing thru reads QUICK enough.

And things like running backwards, fumbling, interceptions DID NOT happen even remotely close to lot, as Ward had one of the LOWER, amount of fumbles, int's.

Cam's problem is that his RARE bad decisions, fumbles, int's, running backwards, etc, came at BAD times, critical game deciding moments, that LOST GAMES.

Some of that was Cam's between the ears, and some was the O LINE, WR DROPS, PLAY CALLING, LACK OF RUNNING GAME, LACK OF COACHING, etc.

That's on the NEGATIVE side.

On the positive side, Cam has strong arm, can, does make ALL the throws, LOW int's, accurate arm, elusive in pocket, altho not as fast, is faster, can be, is fast enough, runs well, scrambles well, throws accurate enough on run, well enough, good attitude, character, some good leadership qualities.

Temporarily for now, does not have the IT factor, altho can develop the IT factor, IF he either were to stay, be in right place in college, or if he were to end up in right place in NFL.

If Cam were to stay, he would be a 1st to 4th round pick.

It's smart that he didn't get a agent, so that if it looks like his draft stock isn't high enough, he can choose to stay in college, etc.
3rd to 7th round pick? Dang Mik, that is really going out on a limb........

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT