ADVERTISEMENT

Watched the game

Husker9300

Recruit
Aug 6, 2019
offense looks like one of the best in pac 12 the D mediocre. I think with some luck you guys honestly could be 6-1 the record is very misleading. How do you guys feel about Oregon? After today's performance im more high on wazzu but think Oregon wins in a shootout. Better hope the D shows up next week.

Reactions: 79COUG
The D is still a work in progress. They showed up and improved on last week, which was a big improvement on the game before that. We still have issues. But at least we are moving in the right direction.

There were more checks to run; that is good. And when you include passes, Borghi must have gotten a lot of touches. Both positive developments. And Gordon's touch was pretty good for a rainy day.

Our FG kicking was also good for a rainy day.

Many things we could improve, but against Colorado today we were good enough. We'll need to continue to improve if we want to beat Oregon. I think Oregon is only slightly better than ASU, though, so with some more incremental improvement it should be a good game.

The D is still a work in progress. They showed up and improved on last week, which was a big improvement on the game before that. We still have issues. But at least we are moving in the right direction.

There were more checks to run; that is good. And when you include passes, Borghi must have gotten a lot of touches. Both positive developments. And Gordon's touch was pretty good for a rainy day.

Our FG kicking was also good for a rainy day.

Many things we could improve, but against Colorado today we were good enough. We'll need to continue to improve if we want to beat Oregon. I think Oregon is only slightly better than ASU, though, so with some more incremental improvement it should be a good game.
What do you predict your final record to be? ive got em at 7-5 with losses to Oregon and Washington. I think both those games can be upsets against Oregon I think you guys have the better offense so it could be close. against Washington I know they've beat you guys a couple times in a row maybe more but you guys have to snap the win streak at some point why not now. High prediction 9-3 average prediction 7-5 low prediction 6-6.

I think 7-5 is reasonable, though the level of certainty is small. Our bell curve this year is rather flat, allowing for a wide range of potential W/L outcomes.

If we miss 7-5, I think 6-6 is more likely at this point than 8-4, though either is possible.

What do you predict your final record to be? ive got em at 7-5 with losses to Oregon and Washington. I think both those games can be upsets against Oregon I think you guys have the better offense so it could be close. against Washington I know they've beat you guys a couple times in a row maybe more but you guys have to snap the win streak at some point why not now. High prediction 9-3 average prediction 7-5 low prediction 6-6.

8-4 at best, 7-5 at average, 6-6 at below average, 5-7 at worst

Probable losses:

Oregon, UW

Probable wins:

Ore St, Arizona

Toss up: not a probable win or loss, flip a coin, guess, etc:

Cal

Possible upset:

Either Oregon or UW, and maybe neither of them, but definately not both of them, and only 1 of them at best.

Prediction:

WSU just barely gets to 7-5, just barely wins bowl game to just barely finish 8-5 for the season.

Over/Under:

6.5, 6,7 wins

Reactions: M-I-Coug
wait you serious?
Absolutely. People were lined up right more often than they have been all season. I even saw a couple of successful open-field tackles and a little pass rush. Go watch any other game we've played this year. We let Northern Colorado run all over us

8-4 at best, 7-5 at average, 6-6 at below average, 5-7 at worst

Probable losses:

Oregon, UW

Probable wins:

Ore St, Arizona

Toss up: not a probable win or loss, flip a coin, guess, etc:

Cal

Possible upset:

Either Oregon or UW, and maybe neither of them, but definately not both of them, and only 1 of them at best.

Prediction:

WSU just barely gets to 7-5, just barely wins bowl game to just barely finish 8-5 for the season.

Over/Under:

6.5, 6,7 wins
There is no way WSU beats Arizona.

WSU is going to beat either Oregon or the UW by a bunch. In a blowout.

BUT - and this is a big BUT - in order to do so, Max Borghi needs to get as many, if not more touches than he got yesterday. Preferably a few of those between the tackles so they can't pin back their ears from the ends and drop all their linebackers into coverage. And a few QB draws wouldn't be a bad concept either.

If Leach thinks tossing it 60 times is going to beat either of those teams, he's going to get boatraced.

Reactions: M-I-Coug

BUT - and this is a big BUT - in order to do so, Max Borghi needs to get as many, if not more touches than he got yesterday. Preferably a few of those between the tackles so they can't pin back their ears from the ends and drop all their linebackers into coverage. And a few QB draws wouldn't be a bad concept either.

If Leach thinks tossing it 60 times is going to beat either of those teams, he's going to get boatraced.
Both UW and Oregon can be had but I’m not sure Leach can undo his tendencies particularly against UW. Petersen and Lake both know he’s not going to run it after we get stuffed a couple of times, and then it’s a three man race to the QB w 8 in coverage for 3 1/2 quarters. I’d bet my house Borghi is way underutilized in the AC. He needs 25+ touches for us to have a chance.

Reactions: BiggsCoug

I didn't watch yesterday's game, as I don't get ESPNU. However, last week Borghi didn't get more touches due to Gordon. Gordon locked onto receivers last week and forced 4-5 balls into double coverage. He was lucky that the balls were incomplete instead of intercepted.

All the while, Borghi was all by himself as an outlet valve. Borghi's body language showed that he was upset. If Gordon would have checked down, they would have continued drives instead of having to punt. Frankly, Gordon often tries for the big play (reminiscent of Halliday) when the better option would have been throwing to Borghi.

It appears that yesterday Gordon got the message.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
I didn't watch yesterday's game, as I don't get ESPNU. However, last week Borghi didn't get more touches due to Gordon. Gordon locked onto receivers last week and forced 4-5 balls into double coverage. He was lucky that the balls were incomplete instead of intercepted.

All the while, Borghi was all by himself as an outlet valve. Borghi's body language showed that he was upset. If Gordon would have checked down, they would have continued drives instead of having to punt. Frankly, Gordon often tries for the big play (reminiscent of Halliday) when the better option would have been throwing to Borghi.

It appears that yesterday Gordon got the message.
I hope you're right. Gordon is in love with the big numbers. It can be difficult for a qb to understand the subtle nuances between passing for 400 and losing 48-45 and passing for 325 and winning 38-21. Minshew understood that. I hope a light goes on in Gordens brain in that regard. Leach's too.

I hope you're right. Gordon is in love with the big numbers. It can be difficult for a qb to understand the subtle nuances between passing for 400 and losing 48-45 and passing for 325 and winning 38-21. Minshew understood that. I hope a light goes on in Gordens brain in that regard. Leach's too.
Yeah this is spot on. Seems like after some early success in games he goes off script trying to beat his 9 TD record.

one other nitpick with Gordon...stay in the pocket! He gets an upfield rush and gets happy feet, runs to his right and takes half the field away. His arm and accuracy are great if he improved on this he’d be unstoppable.

I agree. Remember that last year with Minshew, Williams led the team in receptions. He knew when to throw deep and when to take what the defense gives you. Minshew was good at keeping drives going until he could go deep.

If you're not coaching it, you're allowing it to happen.

Gordon can choose to be Connor Halliday or Alex Brink as a legacy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT