ADVERTISEMENT

Wazzu announces big roster changes

britton ransford

Hall Of Fame
Oct 23, 2012
PULLMAN, Wash. -- James Hunter and Royce Woolridge have chosen to transfer and have been granted their releases from the Washington State University men's basketball program; while signee Jermaine Morgan has been released from his National Letter of Intent (NLI) and will not enroll at WSU this fall, head coach Ernie Kent announced Tuesday.

"I greatly enjoyed my visits with James and Royce and respect their reasons for moving on," Kent said "We wish them the best and consider them both to be great young men."

A two-year starting guard for the Cougars, Woolridge averaged 9.2 points and 2.7 assists per outing at WSU. The Phoenix-native averaged 11.0 points in his first season in 2012-13 after transferring from Kansas, following up with 7.3 points per game in his junior year this past season. Woolridge is on schedule to graduate from WSU within the 2013-14 academic year with a degree in human development.

"I commend Royce for his decision, as he made it based on what's best for him and his family," Kent said. "We will miss him and we wish him well."

"I want to thank Coach Kent for the opportunity that he's given me and everyone else at WSU," Woolridge said. "I believe with all my heart that he will take this program to the next level, but my responsibilities are with my family and my grandmother. I commend Coach Kent for being so understanding. I've enjoyed my three years here and am proud that I will be able to call myself a Washington State graduate. I am looking to continue my education by attending graduate school and playing my final season at a school in Arizona to be closer to my grandmother."

A native of Sydney, Australia, Hunter played 18 games in two seasons at WSU after transferring from Gillette College in Wyoming. A 6-foot-10 center, he scored a total of 17 points and grabbed 7 rebounds in those games. Having just completed his junior season, Hunter is on track to graduate this academic year with a general social sciences degree.

"James Hunter made a very intelligent decision for himself," Kent said. "This is best for him and his future and I wish him well."

"I want to thank Coach Kent and the staff for the great opportunity here at WSU," Hunter said. "I know I'm leaving my teammates in great hands and wish them all the success in the world. I am set to receive a great degree from Washington State, which allows me to pursue a master's degree and play my final year of basketball elsewhere. I've enjoyed my time at WSU and made lifelong friends, but I know this decision is going to be best for my future."

Morgan, a 6-8 forward from Chicago, currently at Moberly Area CC, signed with the Cougars during the early signing period. He transferred to Moberly from Odessa in College after graduating from Whitney Young HS in Chicago.

"Jermaine Morgan feels he needs to stay closer to home as a member of his family deals with medical issues," Kent said. "I granted him the opportunity to do that by releasing him from his scholarship. We wish him well."

Press Release Via WSU Athletics Communications

This post was edited on 4/15 2:09 PM by Britton Ransford

I wish the players well. However,this is really a shot in the arm for WSU. Woolridge is basically a player who would not have played much next season, Hunter was a recruiting mistake much like another player or two left on the roster. This gives Kent an opportunity to really remake this team, It is late in the recruiting season and one hopes that Kent and staff have quality recruits lined up in both the juco and High school ranks.I have watched closely and there are quality players left who are uncommitted. The only real loss is Morgan who would have provided some quality back up minutes.The only big men still available are Railey and longrus, The others are just bench warmers who will be gone after next season.so lets hope Kent can bring in a couple of bigs. This makes me even more exited about coug basketball.

Sounds like CEK didn't have plans for Woolridge (can't shoot a lick) and Hunter (space eater, but on the bench) and told them so. Without Woolridge, Ike and Isabell (plus a JC PG) will need to come through. Morgan probably just lacked talent also.

Just hope the "new guys" Kent brings in are better basketball players than what is leaving.

Personally I think Woolridge might have thrived under Kent but I'm excited to see who coach can get to fill these scholarships. I also still think Hawkinson will be a serviceable big man.

Woolridge transfered because he wanted to be closer to his grandmother, also he said he plans to play for one of the arizona colleges. So dont be suprised if Woolridge ends up playing for ASU, or Arizona. Woolridge had a broken wrist, that was the reason he didnt do well. And he scored 11 ppg, had a season high of 39 his sophmore year. If he had stayed he would have averaged about 15 to 17 per game under Kent, assuming he would have stayed healthy,injury free.

Morgan was,is a good JC big, that had a medical emergency, in his family. He wanted to be closer to his family, because of that. That's why he transfered, not because of lack of talent, not because of a probable lack of playing time, as he would habe probably gotten a decent amount of playing time had he stayed.

Hunter should have either have lost his scholarship, been encouraged to transfer a long time ago It should have been him, not lancona, that should have been traded for JC Lawhorn

Isabell will be the starting pg, and he will do awesome.He is already light years ahead of where Reggie Moore, Bennie Seltzer, Dominic Ellison, were when they were coming out of highschool.

Also Isabell just got selected to play for the west coast all stars in the west coast all stars vs the east coast all stars classic. Almost all the players on those teams are 4,5 star players, signed to play for the top college bball programs.

Isabell will probably either get 7,8 assist, 8 to 12 ppg, or about 13 to 27 ppg, for the west coast all stars, depending on how much scoring his teammates do.

And Isabell will probably get 6,7 assist per game, 12 to 14 ppg, for WSU as a freshman, since Reggie Moore got 4,5 assist per game, and 11 ppg as a freshman for WSU, and since Isabell is light years ahead of where Reggie Moore was, when he was coming out of highschool.

71 supplied the link,info in his Isabell thread.

This post was edited on 4/15 5:16 PM by mikalalas

Lofty numbers for Isabell. He may not even start the all star game and will be lucky to score in double figures. We shall see if your predictions are right. As for a frosh averaging thos figures,forget it.

Originally posted by mikalalas:
Woolridge transfered because he wanted to be closer to his grandmother, also he said he plans to play for one of the arizona colleges. So dont be suprised if Woolridge ends up playing for ASU, or Arizona. Woolridge had a broken wrist, that was the reason he didnt do well. And he scored 11 ppg, had a season high of 39 his sophmore year. If he had stayed he would have averaged about 15 to 17 per game under Kent, assuming he would have stayed healthy,injury free.
That's the first I've heard that he was playing with a broken wrist. I've heard he may have had an injury but had no idea of the extent. Never saw or heard confirmation of the extent of his injury.

I think he'll end up at Grand Canyon University, not UA or ASU. Best of luck to him.

Glad Cougar

Grand canyon would fall more into his level of ability. Arizona gets the players they want and they will not tender an offer.

Originally posted by Glad Cougar:
Originally posted by mikalalas:
That's the first I've heard that he was playing with a broken wrist. I've heard he may have had an injury but had no idea of the extent. Never saw or heard confirmation of the extent of his injury.

I think he'll end up at Grand Canyon University, not UA or ASU. Best of luck to him.

Glad Cougar
Agree. Wish him the best.

This post was edited on 4/15 6:16 PM by How_did_this_happen?

Lofty numbers for Isabell. He may not even start the all star game and will be lucky to score in double figures. We shall see if your predictions are right. As for a frosh averaging thos figures,forget it.

Isabell has already put up VERY LOFTY numbers against some of the best highschools, highschool players, AAU teams, AAU players, NBA all star pros, 4,5 star player's, in the western USA, if not maybe even in the whole country, so putting up good,lofty numbers should be doable, since the competition he put those lofty numbers up is at least almost semi comparable to the competition he will face in college.

The guards for the west coast all stars are Isabell at 6' 1/2" tall, 2 6'2" 2 spot shooting guards, and 2 6' 5" 3,2 spot wing, guard/very small forwards. Isabell will get a lot of playing time, and or start as the pg, in the all star game. Which means he will probably get 6-8 assist, 7 to 12 points, or 13 to 27 points, depending on how much scoring his teammates do, whether he is healthy, etc.

Reggie Moore averaged about 4,5 assist, and 11.7 ppg his freshman year for WSU,, so your wrong a freshman who is,was better than Reggie Moore was, when he came out of highschool, like Isabell was,is, can average 5,6 assist, 12 to 14 ppg during a freshman year. Also Kyrie Irving 6' 1" tall pg for Duke, now playing in the NBA, drafted as 1st pick of NBA draft, averaged those kind of freshmen numbers for Duke, and Kyrie, never came even close to doing the awesome things that Isabell did while in highschool. Kyrie never dominated NBA all star pros in highschool, like Isabell has.

The only way Isabell doesnt get the numbers he should get, that I said he should be able to get, is if he fails to reach his potential, underachieves, doesnt start, doesnt get enough playing time, gets injured.

Kent thinks Isabell is that good, as he compared Isabell to Luke Ridnour, and Aaron Brooks of Oregon, of the NBA.

So because of that, the starting PG job, is Isabell's to lose.

Isabell is that good ON PAPER, but it remains to be seen if he will realize his full potential or not.

This is good news for everyone involved. Kent can have 4 freshmen to go with Isabel, grab Lacy and Q and change the fortunes of WSU basketball just that fast. Ernie has been preparing for this moment for two years now from a very opportunistic perch at the Pac-12 network. I'm not saying it will happen... just that it could.

Seriously, I wrote about that here. It took the former staff 8 games to do an X-Ray on it.

Kent would be foolish to go with four frosh, given the roster situation and deficiencies. He needs at least two ready-to-play upperclassmen, whether they be JC or transfers to bolster the weaknesses at point and rebounding-defending.

it is funny but i earlier stated that Kent would have to recruit 4-5 players for next year A few posters did not see much change. as Kent liked the team he has".. Now it has come to past and we are awaiting to see the players he brings in i hope we are not dissapointed

looks to me things are playing out exactly as most posters said it would.

now we're into the signing period and................... nuttin'
Originally posted by ElComanche:
it is funny but i earlier stated that Kent would have to recruit 4-5 players for next year A few posters did not see much change. as Kent liked the team he has".. Now it has come to past and we are awaiting to see the players he brings in i hope we are not dissapointed

Originally posted by chinookpirate:

looks to me things are playing out exactly as most posters said it would.

now we're into the signing period and................... nuttin'
Don't get your panties in a bunch just yet. I believe the signing period ends May 21. You're welcome.

You said he'd run 4-5 guys. He ran 2. Are you upset that there are still 3 or 4 guys on the roster you don't think belong and don't think will contribute?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT