ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday Night PAC-12 Football

Dave_86

Redshirt
Oct 8, 2023
Last year on September 3rd, Oregon State played at San Jose State and the football game drew 3.23M viewers!!! (Link below.) Why? Because the game was held on a Sunday and the NFL wasn't playing that day. So, the OSU vs SJSU was one of few football games on TV that day. Or maybe the only one.

The world according to Nick Daschel

With that in mind, couldn't the PAC-12 schedule a game one night a week, with little competition, like Wednesday night? Football fans would know there's always a PAC-12 game every week on Wednesday nights, so they would always tune in. We got some good football brands from the MWC, like Boise St, Fresno St, and San Diego St., so let's take advantage of it.

So, here's how Wednesday Night Football would work. Followed by an example Wazzu schedule:

1 - Every PAC-12 team would host just one Wednesday night game.

2 - Every PAC-12 team would travel to just one away Wednesday night game.

3 - #1 and #2 means a 9 team conference would provide a TV network with 9 Wednesday Night games, for 9 consecutive weeks.

4 - Teams no longer have two week long 'bye' weeks. Rather, teams get 10 days off before and after each Wednesday night game.

5 - Games would start at 6:00pm. That would give most TV views time to get home from work and tune in. Most ticket holders (except Puget Sound Cougar fans) would just have to take the afternoon off from work to attend the game. And they would get home around midnight after the game. But us season ticket holders would have only one Wednesday night game a season to deal with.

Seems like Wednesday Night PAC-12 Football is a whole lot better than what Calford is doing travelling to the East Coast to be in the ACC.

Example 2026 Washington State Football Schedule

Sat., Aug 29 - Idaho State (Out Of Conference)
Sat., Sept 5 - Houston (OOC)
Sat., Sept 12 - Washington (OOC)
Sat., Sept 19 - @ Stanford (OOC)
Sat., Sept 26 - @ San Diego State

Sat., Oct 3 - skip

Wed., Oct 7 - @ Colorado State (Wednesday Night PAC-12 Football)

Sat., Oct 10 - skip
Sat., Oct 17 - Tulane
Sat., Oct 24 - @ Memphis
Sat., Oct 31 - skip

Wed., Nov 4 - Fresno State (Wednesday Night PAC-12 Football)

Sat., Nov 7 - skip
Sat., Nov 14 - @ Boise State
Sat., Nov 21 - Utah State
Sat., Nov 28 - @ Oregon State (PAC-2 Championship)

This example schedule arbitrarily picks Memphis and Tulane as PAC-12 teams #8 and #9. Who knows if those 2 schools join us. I haven't a clue if the Apple Cup is in Pullman or Seattle in 2026 - I'm a Beaver Fan.

Last edited:
Last year on September 3rd, Oregon State played at San Jose State and the football game drew 3.23M viewers!!! (Link below.) Why? Because the game was held on a Sunday and the NFL wasn't playing that day. So, the OSU vs SJSU was one of few football games on TV that day. Or maybe the only one.

The world according to Nick Daschel

With that in mind, couldn't the PAC-12 schedule a game one night a week, with little competition, like Wednesday night? Football fans would know there's always a PAC-12 game every week on Wednesday nights, so they would always tune in. We got some good football brands from the MWC, like Boise St, Fresno St, and San Diego St., so let's take advantage of it.

So, here's how Wednesday Night Football would work. Followed by an example Wazzu schedule:

1 - Every PAC-12 team would host just one Wednesday night game.

2 - Every PAC-12 team would travel to just one away Wednesday night game.

3 - #1 and #2 means a 9 team conference would provide a TV network with 9 Wednesday Night games, for 9 consecutive weeks.

4 - Teams no longer have two week long 'bye' weeks. Rather, teams get 10 days off before and after each Wednesday night game.

5 - Games would start at 6:00pm. That would give most TV views time to get home from work and tune in. Most ticket holders (except Puget Sound Cougar fans) would just have to take the afternoon off from work to attend the game. And they would get home around midnight after the game. But us season ticket holders would have only one Wednesday night game a season to deal with.

Seems like Wednesday Night PAC-12 Football is a whole lot better than what Calford is doing travelling to the East Coast to be in the ACC.

Example 2026 Washington State Football Schedule

Sat., Aug 29 - Idaho State (Out Of Conference)
Sat., Sept 5 - Houston (OOC)
Sat., Sept 12 - Washington (OOC)
Sat., Sept 19 - @ Stanford (OOC)
Sat., Sept 26 - @ San Diego State

Sat., Oct 3 - skip

Wed., Oct 7 - @ Colorado State (Wednesday Night PAC-12 Football)

Sat., Oct 10 - skip
Sat., Oct 17 - Tulane
Sat., Oct 24 - @ Memphis
Sat., Oct 31 - skip

Wed., Nov 4 - Fresno State (Wednesday Night PAC-12 Football)

Sat., Nov 7 - skip
Sat., Nov 14 - @ Boise State
Sat., Nov 21 - Utah State
Sat., Nov 28 - @ Oregon State (PAC-2 Championship)

This example schedule arbitrarily picks Memphis and Tulane as PAC-12 teams #8 and #9. Who knows if those 2 schools join us. I haven't a clue if the Apple Cup is in Pullman or Seattle in 2026 - I'm a Beaver Fan.
Despite that fact that this idea comes from a bucktoothed rodent, it's not the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Of course, on this board we hear a lot of stupid ideas, so it isn't much of a bar to clear. None of which come from the Supremely Cerebral Loyal One. ALL of MY ideas are fantastic. Suppose this game could also be on Tuesdays. Maybe both!

Despite that fact that this idea comes from a bucktoothed rodent, it's not the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Of course, on this board we hear a lot of stupid ideas, so it isn't much of a bar to clear. None of which come from the Supremely Cerebral Loyal One. ALL of MY ideas are fantastic. Suppose this game could also be on Tuesdays. Maybe both!
Wow. Loyal the Grouch?

Wow. Loyal the Grouch?
Did you have an opinion on Dave's idea? And what did I say that makes me a grouch? The fact (as confirmed by dozens of posts and millions of views and shares on X BTW) that all of my ideas are fantastic does not make me a grouch. Quite the opposite in fact. I am a little grouchy that UNLV Coug'ed tonight's Syracuse game, but hey, they didn't meet the metrics. Wasn't too happy about the Oregon/MSU game either, but it was kind of a F-you to MSU coach and Beaver traitor Jonathan Smith. Welcome back to Oregon. I only wish him the least of success, and I bet Dave agrees.

So feel free to give a thoughtful opinion on Dave's idea. Cheers.

Wasn't too happy about the Oregon/MSU game either, but it was kind of a F-you to MSU coach and Beaver traitor Jonathan Smith. Welcome back to Oregon. I only wish him the least of success, and I bet Dave agrees.
Had lunch with the Beaver Buddies this last Wednesday. The two main topics of the lunch were: PAC-12 rebuild and who to cheer for in Oregon vs. Michigan State (Jonathan Smith). Several of us, myself included, want to see both of them lose. Only one guy there, after struggling for a while, finally decided that he preferred seeing Smith win over the Ducks.

But for most of us, Smith is not welcome to return to Corvallis.

I liked the Wednesday Night proposal for two reasons:
1 - improve the value of the PAC-12 media contract
2 - increased exposure for PAC-12 football to help with recruiting

As soon as football season ends, we can immediately move on to:
Wednesday Night PAC-12 Basketball

With "Wednesday Night PAC-12 Basketball", we can take advantage of Gonzaga's brand and put them on TV every other week or something like that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT