ADVERTISEMENT

Week one depth chart

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
  • No real surprises, but I wish we didn't have Morrow and Taylor as our primary K/P returners. I know a lot of teams do that, but with our young depth at RB, WR, and in the secondary, I wish someone else could handle those duties. Notice that T Martin is not longer on KR, thankfully.

• Good to see Calvin 2nd on the depth chart behind Kyle Sweet. I was hoping he'd play.

• 6 seniors on offense / 7 on defense (10 seniors total on the defensive side, including both DTs). This should add to the rumor mill that Grinch will be gone after this season if they perform well.

https://www.cougcenter.com/2017/8/2...ootball-week-one-depth-chart-vs-montana-state

RB probably has the most experienced depth of any position group on the roster.

• No real surprises, but I wish we didn't have Morrow and Taylor as our primary K/P returners. I know a lot of teams do that, but with our young depth at RB, WR, and in the secondary, I wish someone else could handle those duties. Notice that T Martin is not longer on KR, thankfully.
  • Good to see Calvin 2nd on the depth chart behind Kyle Sweet. I was hoping he'd play.

• 6 seniors on offense / 7 on defense (10 seniors total on the defensive side, including both DTs). This should add to the rumor mill that Grinch will be gone after this season if they perform well.

https://www.cougcenter.com/2017/8/2...ootball-week-one-depth-chart-vs-montana-state
Kyle Sweet starting does not give me confidence that the WR position has been improved, nor does the punting look to be any better if he is handling those duties

Sweet was highly regarded by the staff when he arrived. Even to the point that it was said that if any freshman got significant playing time, he would be the one. Did a good job early but since has seemed to have faded into the background a bit. Last year when Cracraft went down, he was the next man up. We saw what happened. Defenses concentrated even more on Marks as Sweet and others were unable to fill River's shoes in an adequate manner. One or more of the Y/H receivers is going to have to take that step upward or we will be suffering the same offensive malady that we saw during the latter stages of last year.

Wondering why Easop Winston is not on the depth chart. He had 71 catches for 1,171 yds and 12 Tds (106 yds average game) last year at City College of San Fran. He was a standout very early on in Spring, but not much talk since then.

Sweet was highly regarded by the staff when he arrived. Even to the point that it was said that if any freshman got significant playing time, he would be the one. Did a good job early but since has seemed to have faded into the background a bit. Last year when Cracraft went down, he was the next man up. We saw what happened. Defenses concentrated even more on Marks as Sweet and others were unable to fill River's shoes in an adequate manner. One or more of the Y/H receivers is going to have to take that step upward or we will be suffering the same offensive malady that we saw during the latter stages of last year.

I suspect it's just a matter of reps before Calvin sees the majority of snaps inside. Sweet has put in his time, so the coaches are right to reward that with a start (Robert Lewis is injured), but it doesn't mean this is etched in stone. The coaches would be stupid to keep Calvin off the field.

Sweet may have a breakout year. I'm not nervous about him as a punter, honestly. I think the rugby style works for us, and is harder for opposing teams to return. Good Lord, how many conventional punts used to be run back or had the potential to be run back?

Powell can boom punts though but given his consistency issues with FGs it's probably not a good idea to have him doing double duty as a punter too often. Seems that's what they have decided anyway.

I suspect it's just a matter of reps before Calvin sees the majority of snaps inside. Sweet has put in his time, so the coaches are right to reward that with a start (Robert Lewis is injured), but it doesn't mean this is etched in stone. The coaches would be stupid to keep Calvin off the field.
Agree. Sweet has the repetitions and Calvin, according to all reports, has the superior talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT