ADVERTISEMENT

What should be done to celebrate the 100th Season of Cougar Football?

Cougatron

Hall Of Fame
Oct 17, 2012
The 2019 Season will be the 100th season of Cougar Football which is a really awesome historical milestone.

It would be nice if the athletic department did something special this year to commemorate it.

Some ideas I think would be great would be...

Patches on the jerseys with a 100 WSU logo or something.

A special $100 extra donation that includes a nice coffee table book with like 100 photos and stories over the year / anecdotes.

100th year commemorative WSU flags

Something really cool on homecoming with 100 different WSU football alums from over the years being honored.

I mean this is an actual event that happens every 100 years. I feel like there is a giant opportunity to make it special for fans/players/alums

You could do 100 videos of stories about the history of Cougar football. Release 1 a day up to the start of the season on YouTube and sell a dvd of it with extras and more footage.

Check your math....

....or check Wikipedia.

1st season in 1894

You beat me to it. Must be some sort of joke - although it is Feb 1, not April 1.

Which reminds me - I was googling "WSU stadium naming" in reference to another thread yesterday and an April Fools column from Brand X or Y from several years back popped up announcing the Busch Light Stadium naming. Pretty funny.

Ah okay
See I was just looking at sports reference and it had 99 seasons
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/washington-state/index.html

So they started in 1917. Which was the year WSU joined the PCC (Pacific Coast Conference)

So basically 100 years in the Pac is the anniversary.
Was worried you had taken math from one of Walden's players.

Sports reference dot com is great for the baseball stats (which is where they started to get away from Elias Sports Bureau's proprietary crap)

Other sports, still a work in progress. (they'll update as they get more information)

Not bad for researching QBs - they still need to add in QB games started.

Was worried you had taken math from one of Walden's players.

Sports reference dot com is great for the baseball stats (which is where they started to get away from Elias Sports Bureau's proprietary crap)

Other sports, still a work in progress. (they'll update as they get more information)

Not bad for researching QBs - they still need to add in QB games started.

Yeah they still need to add a few things but it’s a great resource. CFBstats also has interesting info.

The 2019 Season will be the 100th season of Cougar Football which is a really awesome historical milestone.

It would be nice if the athletic department did something special this year to commemorate it.

A special $100 extra donation that includes a nice coffee table book with like 100 photos and stories over the year / anecdotes.

Something really cool on homecoming with 100 different WSU football alums from over the years being honored.

I mean this is an actual event that happens every 100 years. I feel like there is a giant opportunity to make it special for fans/players/alums

Maybe have the celebration outside our new stadium in Ellensburg...aka the Cow Palace

Glad you are finally agreeing that he is unqualified to be around programs and speaking about them

He is a retired coach. Color commentator . We have a guy coaching who never played, how is he “qualified” to coach kids?

Walden with his experience provided analysis on game day. And also provided opinions outside of game day. And he coaching at the university makes him qualified to offer an opinion , one you clearly do not like .

But feel free to talk about people who haven’t been around for 6 to 7 years .

I would say he might be a resident expert how to play a competitive Apple Cup however.

He is a retired coach. Color commentator . We have a guy coaching who never played, how is he “qualified” to coach kids?

Walden with his experience provided analysis on game day. And also provided opinions outside of game day. And he coaching at the university makes him qualified to offer an opinion , one you clearly do not like .

But feel free to talk about people who haven’t been around for 6 to 7 years .

I would say he might be a resident expert how to play a competitive Apple Cup however.

He’s qualified because he knows what he’s doing as opposed to a bullshitter.

Leach has a track record of success at every stop with incredible consistency. Iowa Wesleyan, Valdosta State, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and now Washington State.

Jim Walden has proven nothing except he is a bullsh*tter and coached his final season in FBS not winning a single game.

He’s qualified because he knows what he’s doing as opposed to a bullshitter.

Leach has a track record of success at every stop with incredible consistency. Iowa Wesleyan, Valdosta State, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and now Washington State.

Jim Walden has proven nothing except he is a bullsh*tter and coached his final season in FBS not winning a single game.

You better get Brink off the broadcast then .

You better get Brink off the broadcast then .

Brink isn't a coach at WSU. He was a player. An excellent player.

Jim Walden was excellent at nothing except being a con artist. There's a reason he wasn't at the Alamo Bowl. Because he knew if he went the Iowa State fans would ask why the hell WSU let's a guy who couldn't win a single game hang around.

Reactions: YakiCoug
Brink isn't a coach at WSU. He was a player. An excellent player.

Jim Walden was excellent at nothing except being a con artist. There's a reason he wasn't at the Alamo Bowl. Because he knew if he went the Iowa State fans would ask why the hell WSU let's a guy who couldn't win a single game hang around.

Oh, I thought we were talking about qualifications to do color commentary. Did Brink ever finish above .500?

Oh, I thought we were talking about qualifications to do color commentary. Did Brink ever finish above .500?

He went 6-6 in '06 Not great, but really if we are looking at to what happened during his tenure the defense dropped from #23 in points allowed in 2003 to 75th in 2004, 99th in 2005, 62nd in 2006 and 98th in 2007

Of course, then your ole pal Wulff came in and it plunged to 119, then it was 119 again... then 110, and finally 95th!

Honestly, if you want to see who led the demise of the defensive side of Cougar football it really was Rob Akey who sort of ushered in the decline. A decent DL coach, a terrible coordinator.

Doba's biggest mistake was handing over the defense to Akey, and unfortunately, WSU football and players like Brink paid the bill.

Then of course Walden's golden boy Wulff came in and well...basically any semblance of what WSU had become under the Price years was thrown in the gutter only to be salvaged by Bill Moos and Mike Leach.

He went 6-6 in '06 Not great, but really if we are looking at to what happened during his tenure the defense dropped from #23 in points allowed in 2003 to 75th in 2004, 99th in 2005, 62nd in 2006 and 98th in 2007

Of course, then your ole pal Wulff came in and it plunged to 119, then it was 119 again... then 110, and finally 95th!

Honestly, if you want to see who led the demise of the defensive side of Cougar football it really was Rob Akey who sort of ushered in the decline. A decent DL coach, a terrible coordinator.

Doba's biggest mistake was handing over the defense to Akey, and unfortunately, WSU football and players like Brink paid the bill.

Then of course Walden's golden boy Wulff came in and well...basically any semblance of what WSU had become under the Price years was thrown in the gutter only to be salvaged by Bill Moos and Mike Leach.

So what you are saying is Walden is capable of doing color radio . Check

So what you are saying is Walden is capable of doing color radio . Check

No. Brink wasn’t in charge of the entire program Walden was.

Walden is qualified for selling snake oil and only that.

No. Brink wasn’t in charge of the entire program Walden was.

Walden is qualified for selling snake oil and only that.

So if you don't run a program you aren't qualified to be a color commentator? Yogi Roth? Ryan Leaf? Or a host of other commentators? The Huard Bros.?

So if you don't run a program you aren't qualified to be a color commentator? Yogi Roth? Ryan Leaf? Or a host of other commentators? The Huard Bros.?

No if you run a program and are a failure who lost more than you won at the helm then you shouldn’t be a color commentator.

Players are players it’s a team sport. They are 1 of 11 guys on offense 1 of 85 scholarship players.

A HC is 1 of 1. There is only 1 HC at a program and if he loses more than he wins over his tenure he shouldn’t be commentating on anything because he’s a failure and nobody wants to hear commentary from those who lead to failure.

No if you run a program and are a failure who lost more than you won at the helm then you shouldn’t be a color commentator.

Players are players it’s a team sport. They are 1 of 11 guys on offense 1 of 85 scholarship players.

A HC is 1 of 1. There is only 1 HC at a program and if he loses more than he wins over his tenure he shouldn’t be commentating on anything because he’s a failure and nobody wants to hear commentary from those who lead to failure.

I kinda liked Walden.

I kinda liked Walden.

His buffoonery is an aquired taste I suppose, but from my perspective on ensuring we have a successful thriving program an obnoxious blowhard like him contributes nothing to the image and status of WSU.

People that should be in and around WSU in a vocal capacity should be winners from the past who bring something to the table.

Gesser was great except for his off camera behavior. Very disappointed in that

But to give people an idea of interesting people who would contribute positively on talking about Cougar football.

Jack Thompson (obviously)
Drew Bledsoe (Obviously)
Gabe Marks
Marcus Trufant
Mike Price
Mark Fields
Mike Zimmer
Peyton Pelleur
Shalom Luani
Deone Buchanon
Alex Brink
Ryan Leaf
Gibson
Abdullah Bros.
Lindell
Frampton
Hill
Etc. etc.

We need winners to talk and entertain us. Not some winless in FBS snake oil coach.

Cougs who made it to the next level. Cougs who take pride in excellence.

Not He-Haw’s casting reject charlatan coach.

Tron, your rabid dislike of Walden goes beyond reason, civility or even good taste. You call him an "obnoxious blowhard". That suggests that going on and on about the same things over and over and being obnoxious while doing it is something of which you don't approve. Why then, pray tell, do you do the same? People who live in glass houses, etc., etc.

It is permissible to disagree without all the insults...buffoon, con man, snake oil salesman, bullshitter, obnoxious blowhard...and that isn't even a full list from one CougZone string. Please act as though your children were watching.

You could name your Kittitas County stadium CenturyLink.

Ah, more repEDitive drivel over the Doba years, which actually produced a better than .500 record. Yet not once did you ever - or have you ever - piss and moan like a little b!tch over 6 and 40. Too fvcking funny, Little Dick Baird.

Ah, more repEDitive drivel over the Doba years, which actually produced a better than .500 record. Yet not once did you ever - or have you ever - piss and moan like a little b!tch over 6 and 40. Too fvcking funny, Little Dick Baird.

Not pissing and moaning Ben. Simply pointing out if the standard to have someone comment on football is winning then Brink shouldn’t be our color commentator .

Last edited:
Tron, your rabid dislike of Walden goes beyond reason, civility or even good taste. You call him an "obnoxious blowhard". That suggests that going on and on about the same things over and over and being obnoxious while doing it is something of which you don't approve. Why then, pray tell, do you do the same? People who live in glass houses, etc., etc.

It is permissible to disagree without all the insults...buffoon, con man, snake oil salesman, bullshitter, obnoxious blowhard...and that isn't even a full list from one CougZone string. Please act as though your children were watching.

My children are still small and I regret nothing I have said on here and they in time will learn not to put up with mediocrity.

That really is the core issue with Walden. He represents the thing WSU is known for in the past in the collegiate athletic world.

Acceptance of mediocrity, poor performance, complacency, nepotism, and narcasim.

I don’t like those things. I hate those things, and I don’t want them at WSU.

So let’s go through the list and how Walden embodies them and why it hurts WSU athletics.

First of all the point of athletics is to compete to the best of your ability in a team or individual competition. As people representing the school it is your duty to perform at the highest of levels as the athletic department in many ways represents the spirit of the Univeristy.

It isn’t just give it your best shot and it’s okay if you just didn’t give it your all for crimson and gray we’ll just let you hang around and chit chat.

It is Win the Day for Crimson and Gray.

So first up.

Acceptance of Mediocrity - Now Walden has a .430 win% at WSU. He had more losing seasons than winning.

Now would you want an Athelete to give 43% effort? Would you want a student to only do 43% of the assignment? No you would not. That would be unacceptable. And that is why Walden is unacceptable.

If you have less than 50% success over a reasonable amount of time we shouldn’t have you on a pedestal at WSU. Below 50% is mediocrity, and we shouldn’t accept that as our standard. This is from us as fans / alumni perspective.

Poor performance - this goes along with accepting mediocrity but is purely based on performance while accepting mediocrity is what happens after poor performance. For example losing more than you win. That’s poor performance. Having USC kneel at the 50 on us. That is poor performance.

Accepting mediocrity is giving Wulff extra time when he was given plenty. Or hiring Walden back at WSU to be around the program after he didn’t win a single game his last year at Iowa State and had a losing season at WSU his last two years.

Complacency - Now this is where Walden really annoys me. Somehow because he won a couple Apple Cups he is supposed to be this revered figure in WSU lore. First of all the guy was 3-6 in Apple Cups. Walden pretends like nobody had beaten UW until he showed up (and so do Waldenites). The truth is we won back to back Apple Cups in 72/73 before Walden was hired in 78, so this “miracle Apple Cup wizard” basically highlights the complacency that if we are losers most of the time it is legendary to win 1/3 of Apple Cups.

Now let’s take about Nepotism and Narcism the two things that embody Walden. He stumped and grandstanded for Wulff. The worst coach in our history and Pac 12 history all because he was a former player. He berated and told everyone that they were stupid for wanting him fired after 4 years of the worst performance in WSU history and then he said Wulff should be given 1 more year with a 4 win acceptable floor...in his 5th year.

He then went on to throw dirt on the new guy (Mike Leach)

Here we had someone who had a less than mediocre past coaching. Insisted we hire a former player of his, when he got his way he did everything to treat everybody poorly who wanted the team to move on and succeed, and wanted to trash the new guy who just got in the door.

Now who was Walden working for here? Was it the growth and success of WSU? Or was it his own selfish ego, interests and friends?

It was the latter.

So as I am holding my 3 year old son right here.

F is for Four hundred winning % over 9 years
U is for under performance
C is for complacency
K is for Keeping around people who around who are self serving instead of serving the success of the program.

W is for Wulff and insisting he be hired and kept after poor performance
A is for Accepting Mediocrity as the Norm
L is for losing not only most of his games at WSU but most of his games at ISU as well
D is for Detracting from a new hire and not even giving the guy a chance
E is for Ego which he put first before the School that gave him a platform.
N is for Narcism and Nepotism something we don’t want at WSU.

F U C K W A L D EN

My children are still small and I regret nothing I have said on here and they in time will learn not to put up with mediocrity.

That really is the core issue with Walden. He represents the thing WSU is known for in the past in the collegiate athletic world.

Acceptance of mediocrity, poor performance, complacency, nepotism, and narcasim.

I don’t like those things. I hate those things, and I don’t want them at WSU.

So let’s go through the list and how Walden embodies them and why it hurts WSU athletics.

First of all the point of athletics is to compete to the best of your ability in a team or individual competition. As people representing the school it is your duty to perform at the highest of levels as the athletic department in many ways represents the spirit of the Univeristy.

It isn’t just give it your best shot and it’s okay if you just didn’t give it your all for crimson and gray we’ll just let you hang around and chit chat.

It is Win the Day for Crimson and Gray.

So first up.

Acceptance of Mediocrity - Now Walden has a .430 win% at WSU. He had more losing seasons than winning.

Now would you want an Athelete to give 43% effort? Would you want a student to only do 43% of the assignment? No you would not. That would be unacceptable. And that is why Walden is unacceptable.

If you have less than 50% success over a reasonable amount of time we shouldn’t have you on a pedestal at WSU. Below 50% is mediocrity, and we shouldn’t accept that as our standard. This is from us as fans / alumni perspective.

Poor performance - this goes along with accepting mediocrity but is purely based on performance while accepting mediocrity is what happens after poor performance. For example losing more than you win. That’s poor performance. Having USC kneel at the 50 on us. That is poor performance.

Accepting mediocrity is giving Wulff extra time when he was given plenty. Or hiring Walden back at WSU to be around the program after he didn’t win a single game his last year at Iowa State and had a losing season at WSU his last two years.

Complacency - Now this is where Walden really annoys me. Somehow because he won a couple Apple Cups he is supposed to be this revered figure in WSU lore. First of all the guy was 3-6 in Apple Cups. Walden pretends like nobody had beaten UW until he showed up (and so do Waldenites). The truth is we won back to back Apple Cups in 72/73 before Walden was hired in 78, so this “miracle Apple Cup wizard” basically highlights the complacency that if we are losers most of the time it is legendary to win 1/3 of Apple Cups.

Now let’s take about Nepotism and Narcism the two things that embody Walden. He stumped and grandstanded for Wulff. The worst coach in our history and Pac 12 history all because he was a former player. He berated and told everyone that they were stupid for wanting him fired after 4 years of the worst performance in WSU history and then he said Wulff should be given 1 more year with a 4 win acceptable floor...in his 5th year.

He then went on to throw dirt on the new guy (Mike Leach)

Here we had someone who had a less than mediocre past coaching. Insisted we hire a former player of his, when he got his way he did everything to treat everybody poorly who wanted the team to move on and succeed, and wanted to trash the new guy who just got in the door.

Now who was Walden working for here? Was it the growth and success of WSU? Or was it his own selfish ego, interests and friends?

It was the latter.

So as I am holding my 3 year old son right here.

F is for Four hundred winning % over 9 years
U is for under performance
C is for complacency
K is for Keeping around people who around who are self serving instead of serving the success of the program.

W is for Wulff and insisting he be hired and kept after poor performance
A is for Accepting Mediocrity as the Norm
L is for losing not only most of his games at WSU but most of his games at ISU as well
D is for Detracting from a new hire and not even giving the guy a chance
E is for Ego which he put first before the School that gave him a platform.
N is for Narcism and Nepotism something we don’t want at WSU.

F U C K W A L D EN

What happens when someone is a mediocre parent and mediocre human being ?

Well at least the kids will have that big playground in Ellensbug that will sit empty to play in .

For someone that holds people accountable you sure let the people who actually made the decision to hire wulff -Floyd steel and moos, and the person who kept him when leach was out there (moos) sure get off easy . Yes, hold Walden accountable for being a color commentary guy but not the people in charge of hiring and firing. No wonder Tron stadium will never get off the ground .

Last edited:
For someone that holds people accountable you sure let the people who actually made the decision to hire wulff -Floyd steel and moos, and the person who kept him when leach was out there (moos) sure get off easy .
steel? ED?

You mean fictitious boss Remington Steele?
Or fictitious AD Jim Sterk?

Was expecting a Matlock drop-in or a Knight Rider (Walden the talking car) from you.

Reactions: Cougatron
steel? ED?

You mean fictitious boss Remington Steele?
Or fictitious AD Jim Sterk?

Was expecting a Matlock drop-in or a Knight Rider (Walden the talking car) from you.
Steel Sterk all the same

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT