ADVERTISEMENT

What to expect from Tennessee

Cougsocal

Hall Of Fame
Sep 5, 2010
Background

I took the time to watch some of Tennessee matches on YouTube.

Tennessee (19-2) won the SEC tournament, beating Arkansas 3-0. However, Arkansas remained the conferences top seed, Arkansas won in the regular season 3-1. Tenn. also had a clinker loss to Vandy. They played no one of consequence in the pre season. 7 SEC teams made the tournament, only 3 survived the first round. The SEC has virtually no final four experience, one appearance as far as I can tell, the ACC and the Pac-12 traditionally dominate the tournament.

Talent

Tenn. has no "5 tool" elite players, they aren't tall, they aren't very fast, nor are they very athletic. Their work rate is average, but spacing and organization on the attack is excellent, Similarly, they play sound "back to the goal" defense. They are very similar talentwise to the South Carolina team we faced in 2019. I don't think their backs have the pace to match up with our attacking players on the break.

Tactics

They don't overly try to control possession. They try to attack in numbers and defend in numbers "up the field," trying to recover possession in their attacking half. Their MO is to spit the defense, with well timed runs and passes. In this area they have the a significant advantage.

Analysis

We are bigger, faster and more athletic, but were aren't the more skilled side. If we can isolate our forwards and central mid fielders on their backs with our long ball, direct style, they will struggle, particularly if their backs have a limited gas tank. We are simply bigger and faster. We will also have a significant advantage on set pieces because of our size and physicality. However, while they have no one with great ball skills, who can break us down individually, if allow them to to play in our final third, freely and unharried, sagging back on defense, we will be playing into their hands. Smaller players while generally slower on the run, are normally quicker out of the blocks and more adept in tighter spaces. It is something we must avoid.

Honestly, virtually every team we play tries to do what they do, so we are used to it. It is straight out of Women's NCAA Soccer 101. The question is, is their defense ready for a physical track meet. What we do is difficult to simulate is practice. What we don't have is a player with Morgan Weaver's seemingly endless gas tank. Our attack will need to be more varied to make up for it and we can't take our foot off the gas, which has occur at times this year. If we are resting they are recovering.

Background

Tennessee (19-2) won the SEC tournament, beating Arkansas 3-0. However, Arkansas remained the conferences top seed, Arkansas won in the regular season 3-1. Tenn. also had a clinker loss to Vandy. They played no one of consequence in the pre season. 7 SEC teams made the tournament, only 3 survived the first round. The SEC has virtually no final four experience, one appearance as far as I can tell, the ACC and the Pac-12 traditionally dominate the tournament.

Talent

Tenn. has no "5 tool" elite players, they aren't tall, they aren't very fast, nor are they very athletic. Their work rate is average, but spacing and organization on the attack is excellent, Similarly, they play sound "back to the goal" defense. They are very similar talentwise to the South Carolina team we faced in 2019. I don't think their backs have the pace to match up with our attacking players on the break.

Tactics

They don't overly try to control possession. They try to attack in numbers and defend in numbers "up the field," trying to recover possession in their attacking half. Their MO is to spit the defense, with well timed runs and passes. In this area they have the a significant advantage.

Analysis

We are bigger, faster and more athletic, but were aren't the more skilled side. If we can isolate our forwards and central mid fielders on their backs with our long ball, direct style, they will struggle, particularly if their backs have a limited gas tank. We are simply bigger and faster. We will also have a significant advantage on set pieces because of our size and physicality. However, while they have no one with great ball skills, who can break us down individually, if allow them to to play in our final third, freely and unharried, sagging back on defense, we will be playing into their hands. Smaller players while generally slower on the run, are normally quicker out of the blocks and more adept in tighter spaces. It is something we must avoid.

Honestly, virtually every team we play tries to do what they do, so we are used to it. It is straight out of Women's NCAA Soccer 101. The question is, is their defense ready for a physical track meet. What we do is difficult to simulate is practice. What we don't have is a player with Morgan Weaver's seemingly endless gas tank. Our attack will need to be more varied to make up for it and we can't take our foot off the gas, which has occur at times this year. If we are resting they are recovering.
Other than “bigger” and “faster”, I don’t have any idea what all of that means. But the fact that you do impresses the shit out of me.

Go Cougs!

Background

Talent

Tactics

Analysis

When’s the game and how do we watch?

When’s the game and how do we watch?

I saw that it is on at 1pm cst...11 am PST.

Hopefully it is on Pac 12 Network.

As a side note, does anyone in the states get Pac 12 Streaming on YouTube?

I get it down here ..and am wondering if is a glitch in the system like in Office Space.

Other than “bigger” and “faster”, I don’t have any idea what all of that means. But the fact that you do impresses the shit out of me.

Go Cougs!
Well, at WSU you need a special sauce to build a winner. When teams generally recruit, they look for kids that have great ball skills, quickness and football IQ first. It lends itself to a style where you control possession and string multiple passes to together as you bring the ball up field. They are in high demand, thus, few fall to WSU. What Schulenberger has done is looked for athletes, who play soccer, with size and open field speed. We don't try to string passes to together, we intercept and try to kick the ball into open space and use our open field speed to stretch defenses fast break style. It is called "long ball," a style very few teams play these days. So way more recruits that fit this style are available to us. On defense, we use that size and speed to intercept passes and push kids off the ball. In soccer, you can be far more physical above the waist than at the legs. We take advantage of that.

Reactions: SDCoug
Well, at WSU you need a special sauce to build a winner. When teams generally recruit, they look for kids that have great ball skills, quickness and football IQ first. It lends itself to a style where you control possession and string multiple passes to together as you bring the ball up field. They are in high demand, thus, few fall to WSU. What Schulenberger has done is looked for athletes, who play soccer, with size and open field speed. We don't try to string passes to together, we intercept and try to kick the ball into open space and use our open field speed to stretch defenses fast break style. It is called "long ball," a style very few teams play these days. So way more recruits that fit this style are available to us. On defense, we use that size and speed to intercept passes and push kids off the ball. In soccer, you can be far more physical above the waist than at the legs. We take advantage of that.

I like the style of ball we play. I have noticed we tend to be more athletic than our competition.

If we only had more depth last yr against UNC. I need we would gas out with how aggressive we were playing...but we had them sweating bullets.

I don't think people truly appreciate the size of the WSU players until they see them in person. They look like a basketball team, it's quite impressive. The difference in makes on set pieces is remarkable.

For those who may not remember, WSU soccer advanced to it's first ever sweet 16 a few years back after defeating Tennessee on penalty kicks.

Last edited:
Thanks, SoCal, really excellent.

My only question relates to depth, particularly at the mid position. Do we have enough good mid-field folks to do at least some degree of rotation? I'm wondering the same thing about TN. If our depth is roughly equivalent, everybody will be tired at the end, but it seems likely that they will be more tired. If they have enough depth and as a result can rotate and we can't, then their style would seem to have an advantage at the end. On the other hand, if they are forced to rotate due to exhaustion but their depth is not as skilled, it would seem that we would benefit. Thoughts?

Was just over on PAC-12. They have SC on PAC-12 network, but not us. They also have SC playing TBD on Sun. They don’t have us playing Sun. I guess they’ve decided the Cougs are done tomorrow.
The PAC-12, sigh.

Was just over on PAC-12. They have SC on PAC-12 network, but not us. They also have SC playing TBD on Sun. They don’t have us playing Sun. I guess they’ve decided the Cougs are done tomorrow.
The PAC-12, sigh.
Well, if you were in sales would you focus on the customer that can place a $10,000 order or one that can place a $2000 order?
Unfortunately it's all about the Benjamins to them.

The PAC-12, sigh.
Jesus dude, spare us the woe is us bullshit. The TV rights are controlled by Big Ten as a result of a Big Ten school hosting the game. Pac 12 Network has no say in the matter.

That said, the game will be on BTN+.

Jesus dude, spare us the woe is us bullshit. The TV rights are controlled by Big Ten as a result of a Big Ten school hosting the game. Pac 12 Network has no say in the matter.

That said, the game will be on BTN+.
I didn't see it in Live Events yesterday but see it today listed as a "Free".

Reactions: wazzucougs96
The PAC-12, sigh.
Edit: Saw someone added the link, never mind me.

I saw that it is on at 1pm cst...11 am PST.

Hopefully it is on Pac 12 Network.

As a side note, does anyone in the states get Pac 12 Streaming on YouTube?

I get it down here ..and am wondering if is a glitch in the system like in Office Space.
Try this. Open up the Pac-12 Now app on your phone. Login and choose your carrier, (Dish, Comcast, or whatever..). Go to Settings and Cast to your Roku player on your TV. You'll need to have the Pac-12 Now app on your Roku or Smart TV device. Then, you Cast from your phone to your TV.

That's it.

Correction. Big Ten Network + on your phone. I don't think we'll get it on Pac-12 Now app. Perhaps you can sign up for a Free Trial on BTN+?

Last edited:
Thanks, SoCal, really excellent.

My only question relates to depth, particularly at the mid position. Do we have enough good mid-field folks to do at least some degree of rotation? I'm wondering the same thing about TN. If our depth is roughly equivalent, everybody will be tired at the end, but it seems likely that they will be more tired. If they have enough depth and as a result can rotate and we can't, then their style would seem to have an advantage at the end. On the other hand, if they are forced to rotate due to exhaustion but their depth is not as skilled, it would seem that we would benefit. Thoughts?
Well in the NCAA game subbing, while much more free than the pro game, is still somewhat limited, players can sub out and back in once, but not in the same half. We have more quality overall than in 2019, top to bottom, but we don't have a lot of subs that play significant minutes. Right now, Gray, a forward, plays the most as a sub, Whieldon subs in at the mid field and Gathright and Barton subs in on defense. Enzi Broussard a former starter at forward, hasn't played in the last 7 games, why I'm not sure?

Fatigue will not be a problem against Tennessee. We run and make other teams run more than they want, that's what we do. Where we get fatigued is when teams can control the ball, and make us run to cover and dispossess, and not have to run themselves, that isn't Tennessee.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Well in the NCAA game subbing, while much more free than the pro game, is still somewhat limited, players can sub out and back in once, but not in the same half. We have more quality overall than in 2019, top to bottom, but we don't have a lot of subs that play significant minutes. Right now, Gray, a forward, plays the most as a sub, Whieldon subs in at the mid field and Gathright and Barton subs in on defense. Enzi Broussard a former starter at forward, hasn't played in the last 7 games, why I'm not sure?

Fatigue will not be a problem against Tennessee. We run and make other teams run more than they want, that's what we do. Where we get fatigued is when teams can control the ball, and make us run to cover and dispossess, and not have to run themselves, that isn't Tennessee.
If there is one thing I absolutely hate about college soccer, it's the sub rules. Watching UNC run out line changes in the College Cup against us was so damn annoying.

If there is one thing I absolutely hate about college soccer, it's the sub rules. Watching UNC run out line changes in the College Cup against us was so damn annoying.
As a longtime soccer player, I’m actually not a fan of limiting subs. It’s the only team sport I’m aware of where subs are limited…other than baseball where once you are off you are off. To me, they should just make that the rule. Once you are off the pitch you are done. You use your 3 subs and someone gets injured and now you have to play with 10? Always hated that.

As a longtime soccer player, I’m actually not a fan of limiting subs. It’s the only team sport I’m aware of where subs are limited…other than baseball where once you are off you are off. To me, they should just make that the rule. Once you are off the pitch you are done. You use your 3 subs and someone gets injured and now you have to play with 10? Always hated that.
That even happened to the Sounders this year with 5 subs. They had to play down and put a field player in goal. A. Roldan, 0 gaa and captain of his national team.

If the international rules changed, then I would be good with that. Mostly I just want the NCAA to adopt FIFA rules.

The match appears to be free on B1G+ if you sign up for an account. Whether free is truly free, not sure yet. Says it is free but ... not really!

Last edited:
The match appears to be free on B1G+ if you sign up for an account. Whether free is truly free, not sure yet. Says it is free but ... not really!
That's what they are saying but some backend issue they are working on apparently.

Lady Cougs playing on their heels since I've tuned in. Hope they come up with something at the half, because at this point they simply look outclassed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT