ADVERTISEMENT

Which loss is harder to swallow 2019 or 1984 vs ucla

CougEd

Hall Of Fame
Dec 22, 2002
In 19 we give up a 32 point lead, in 84 we line up for a game winning fg with the score tied I believe with 8 seconds left . It was 24 a piece and the snapper sends the way over the holders head . Next thing you know with 3 seconds left without running a play of my memory serves me correctly UCLA lines up and John Lee hits the game winner .

Both are a gut punch .

In 19 we give up a 32 point lead, in 84 we line up for a game winning fg with the score tied I believe with 8 seconds left . It was 24 a piece and the snapper sends the way over the holders head . Next thing you know with 3 seconds left without running a play of my memory serves me correctly UCLA lines up and John Lee hits the game winner .

Both are a gut punch .

1984 all the way. That was a good UCLA team, we played well, we were primed for an upset and it turns out that win would have gotten us to a bowl. which was still a rare occurrence then.
Perhaps because I was much younger, it took me a long time to get over that game.

edit: you now got me thinking about that 1984 season. There were a lot of close games and "what ifs".Just a week before UCLA we lost a close one to U$C by 2 points and the apple cup if I remember we were ahead by 10 in the 3rd quarter only to lose. There were some questionable ref calls in that game.

We played sloppy this last saturday for a big stretch of the game against an 0-3 team. I still think we can make a bowl this season. I'm mostly over it. Now I'm just talking about it like I would talk to friends about a movie that was so bad it was hilarious.

Last edited:
1984 all the way. That was a good UCLA team, we played well, we were primed for an upset and it turns out that win would have gotten us to a bowl. which was still a rare occurrence then.
Perhaps because I was much younger, it took me a long time to get over that game.

edit: you now got me thinking about that 1984 season. There were a lot of close games and "what ifs".Just a week before UCLA we lost a close one to U$C by 2 points and the apple cup if I remember we were ahead by 10 in the 3rd quarter only to lose. There were some questionable ref calls in that game.

We played sloppy this last saturday for a big stretch of the game against an 0-3 team. I still think we can make a bowl this season. I'm mostly over it. Now I'm just talking about it like I would talk to friends about a movie that was so bad it was hilarious.

We were 6-5 that year, do you remember who our out of conference games were ?

Actually, I found 1973 to be close to the toughest loss to the Bruins, with 2005 nosing it out. We had the lead and the Ghost was on a rampage, but the D could not hold. Choked it much like last Saturday.

Both are a gut punch .
I tell that story a lot - probably too much.

I remember telling my room mate something like "worst case we tie, best case we win" right before the kick.

My first time experiencing "it".

1980 Pacific

1989 USC
I can’t believe you listed the 1980 Pacific game as that has stuck in my head for nearly 40 years.
Memory is that Samoa Samoa ran out of bounds allowing Pacific to kick a long FG w/little or no time left to beat us by one or two points.
Do I have it correct?

I can’t believe you listed the 1980 Pacific game as that has stuck in my head for nearly 40 years.
Memory is that Samoa Samoa ran out of bounds allowing Pacific to kick a long FG w/little or no time left to beat us by one or two points.
Do I have it correct?

I don't remember the exact circumstances, but
we screwed up in the final seconds and gave Pacific the ball deep in our territory.

They kicked what I remember was a short field goal through the east end posts for a 24-22 win. Fans were pissed off and booing.

Everyone remembered that game the next season as incentive and we crushed 'em 31-0.

This was worse than 2014 Cal. That Cal game was, at least, a pretty back and forth affair. We didn't gack away a huge lead in that game.

Yeah the 2014 wasn't even close to this loss. Yes, gut wrenching but you are correct it was back and forth. Just hold onto the ball. they could of handed it off 20 times straight at that point and punted four times and they still would have won.

Do I have it correct?

That actually sounds right. I forgot about that loss. Not even on my radar. I have to agree probably 3 of our four most hurtful losses came against UCLA. 1984, 2005, 2019....and one has to put in 2002 Apple Cup if we aren't excluding everyone but UCLA.

Actually, I found 1973 to be close to the toughest loss to the Bruins, with 2005 nosing it out. We had the lead and the Ghost was on a rampage, but the D could not hold. Choked it much like last Saturday.
1973 or 1974?
1974 was the one score loss for Sweeney in the LA Coliseum when WSU had 1st & goal at the UCLA 1 yard line and couldnt get it in on 4 tries.

1973 or 1974?
1974 was the one score loss for Sweeney in the LA Coliseum when WSU had 1st & goal at the UCLA 1 yard line and couldnt get it in on 4 tries.

Fnu, you are right about the game to which I was referring. If it was '74, then you are 100% correct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT