ADVERTISEMENT

While Rolo struggles, Smith is killing it ...

No. WSU doesn't experience this in California, Hawaii, Texas or anywhere else.

Washington coaches have insane expectations for WSU. They complain if their D2 guys aren't getting offers. They don't encourage the legit P5 talent to go to Pullman. If the UW coach bothers to fart in the direction of these same clowns they'd gush over how gracious he was to treat them with such respect.

The issue with Rolovich isn't that he's overlooking in state kids. If anything he's wasting too much time locally.

Thanks d blithers

Remember that instead of choosing to improve your reading comprehension or attempt to think at anything approaching a critical level, above is what you posted.

Remember that instead of choosing to improve your reading comprehension or attempt to think at anything approaching a critical level, above is what you posted.
Like I said “this” can be up for interpretation so instead of possibly misunderstanding what you mean by “this”, I would rather hear what “this” meant to the poster . But I get that was a bit of a strain for even you blithers

Last edited:
Leach took us to 6 bowl games in 7 years, 2 9 win seasons and a school record 11 win season, a top 10 finish in the polls, GameDay, fun wins over SC and Oregon, increased ticket sales and attendance. I’ll say WSU got their money’s worth with Leach.

Leach was great, so was Dalton Trumbo, Moos decision to end the blackballing took guts, but his main job was to negotiate the best possible deal for us, as with Ernie, he didn't. Kurt Douglas had balls too, but was able to negotiate a sweet heart deal with Trumbo to rewrite Spartacus -- because of his predicament. So you missed the point. Leach Awesome, Moos not so much, get it.

Are you not contradicting yourself here? Your first post says paying top coaches should be the priority. Now you’re complaining about the coaches getting paid.

How is letting a blackballed coach get the up upper hand in negotiations, inconsistent with the premise of coaches before facilities? As an attorney, you understand and appreciate the art of negotiation. It isn't the same as how best to have a successful athletic program.
I disagree. You pay the coach what you pay the coach. Did Chun overpay Rolo by more than tripling his salary? Or, should he have lowballed him and and set that precedent and continued the long held belief that WSU is cheap and doesn't pay their coaches?

Moos paid Leach, and it was still on the lower end of conference coaches when he was hired. Moos wanted to make a statement that WSU pays in line with other P5 conference schools. He has said as much in interviews. Also, you have no idea if Leach would have accepted if Moos lowballs him. We all know how stubborn Leach is. He is the type of personality that would not accept a job if he felt disrespected. Plus, if you want a long-term relationship, you don't start it out by disrespecting the other party.

A clever negotiator always makes you think you got a great deal at the negotiation table. You know that don't you. If he makes you think you are getting low balled, he isn't doing his job, because you have a disgruntled employee on your hand from the get go. We paid Leach as much or more as a successful high end coach who wasn't being flat out blackballed. Bottom line is Leach is much smarter guy, and had his way with Bill Moos in negotiations from day one. We still got Leach, but we were forced to continue to pay the lowest assistant salaries in the conference by a significant margin. It bit us in the butt on defense, eventually. We are returning the worst defense in the conference, in conference play, by a significant margin. Many say that is because of bad coaching last year. After Air Force, they may have proven their point. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

How is letting a blackballed coach get the up upper hand in negotiations, inconsistent with the premise of coaches before facilities? As an attorney, you understand and appreciate the art of negotiation. It isn't the same as how best to have a successful athletic program.

A clever negotiator always makes you think you got a great deal at the negotiation table. You know that don't you. If he makes you think you are getting low balled, he isn't doing his job, because you have a disgruntled employee on your hand from the get go. We paid Leach as much or more as a successful high end coach who wasn't being flat out blackballed. Bottom line is Leach is much smarter guy, and had his way with Bill Moos in negotiations from day one. We still got Leach, but we were forced to continue to pay the lowest assistant salaries in the conference by a significant margin. It bit us in the butt on defense, eventually. We are returning the worst defense in the conference, in conference play, by a significant margin. Many say that is because of bad coaching last year. After Air Force, they may have proven their point. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

As an attorney I realize that some people will bitch and moan no matter what. As an attorney I also realize when people are avoiding a question. Such as the one I posted above. Your first post was to prioritize coach pay. Then you complained when coaches got paid. If what you meant was WSU should have continued paying well below market rate, then you should clarify whatever you were trying to say in your first post.

There wasn't much in the way of negotiation between Moos and Leach. Moos offered and Leach accepted. I believe it was in Armen Keteyian's book "The System."

By the way, Leach was getting paid less than Charlie Weiss.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/1/22/3900846/college-football-coaching-salaries-2012

Tacoma area. Don't want to name specifically.

I'm sure someone could do a survey around "WSU coaches" engagement with HS coaches. From an N of one, he expressed some disappointment.

They may be just trying to hit targets they have in their previous pipeline.

I’m in Tacoma as well, and was surprised when Rolo hit the road initially where he was tripping to high schools and then hosting those bars nights with cougs, he never stopped in Tacoma. That being said, I don’t know of much available talent around this area besides a couple very high end guys who were already being highly recruited by the likes of USC, UO, Ohio St, Alabama etc. Seems he hit Tumwater, Camas, Seattle etc pretty well.

I have negotiated hundreds, perhaps thousands, of contracts. I just don't agree with what you are selling. I just think you are so narrow minded regarding this subject that you can only see the small picture. I have no feelings regarding Moos one way or another. Obviously, you do and it is clouding your conclusions.

It's how Ed gets his kicks.

Not at all Tron. I simply asked what "this" meant because I didnt want to misinterpret what he was trying to communicate. If "this" meant WSU doesn't need to wine and dine and kiss the butts of out of state coaches, i agree. But instate is different. They have more ties and more connections. does that mean they have to offer kids that don't belong like Doba did in 04-06? Nope. The staff just has to make sure they touch every possible contact, make them feel as important and connected to their state school as humanly possible. So if that is what "this meant", that would be my response. So no I don't enjoy strings going sideways.

Thought Ed got his kicks on Wulff's rout vs Cal 3 to 66?

Nope, nor do I get my kicks out of watching my alma mater blow a 32 point lead to a team that was struggling to score 32 points. I sure hope I get over it by the time 2029 rolls around.

Not at all Tron. I simply asked what "this" meant because I didnt want to misinterpret what he was trying to communicate. If "this" meant WSU doesn't need to wine and dine and kiss the butts of out of state coaches, i agree. But instate is different. They have more ties and more connections. does that mean they have to offer kids that don't belong like Doba did in 04-06? Nope. The staff just has to make sure they touch every possible contact, make them feel as important and connected to their state school as humanly possible. So if that is what "this meant", that would be my response. So no I don't enjoy strings going sideways.

Why is this important? Hint: it's not.

I’m in Tacoma as well, and was surprised when Rolo hit the road initially where he was tripping to high schools and then hosting those bars nights with cougs, he never stopped in Tacoma. That being said, I don’t know of much available talent around this area besides a couple very high end guys who were already being highly recruited by the likes of USC, UO, Ohio St, Alabama etc. Seems he hit Tumwater, Camas, Seattle etc pretty well.

A couple of thoughts. I am sure Covid tempered the personal one on one touch. And I think I would be surprised if the staff has not called every coach in that area. They seem to have some time on their hands.

Socal,

Moos paid a premium in hopes to get a long term commitment out of Leach. I think in hindsight you are correct, he could have got Leach on the cheap, got a discount like what happens to most coaches with some sort of baggage that are in their 50's. Here is the tricky part, does another team come in and get leach after 2013 when he was 6-7? Do they wait to see a body of work and look at 2014? Maybe they determine he needs to show more improvement. Then the calls come in in 2015. Then again, maybe teams saw him as Dennis or Power or Jackie Sherrill who coached at a school with obstacles and would do well in a better funded program and not care about his record early on.

Ed still doesn't get it. I've done all I can....

As an attorney I realize that some people will bitch and moan no matter what. As an attorney I also realize when people are avoiding a question. Such as the one I posted above. Your first post was to prioritize coach pay. Then you complained when coaches got paid. If what you meant was WSU should have continued paying well below market rate, then you should clarify whatever you were trying to say in your first post.

There wasn't much in the way of negotiation between Moos and Leach. Moos offered and Leach accepted. I believe it was in Armen Keteyian's book "The System."

By the way, Leach was getting paid less than Charlie Weiss.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/1/22/3900846/college-football-coaching-salaries-2012

Prioritizing coaches over facilities has about as much to do with mishandled negotiations, as bullfighting has to do with agriculture, o' perpetually truculent one, but you always need to pick fights. In the big scheme of thing, we would have been better off had Moos paid Leach double his asking price, and built a far more modest FOB, as a result. There would be a better chance Leach would still be coaching us. Getting back to my initial premise: Mike Leach >>> a swank FOB. It doesn't make Bill a good AD, which is your basic claim. For that, you need more than vision, you need shrewd business skills, as well. I too like'd Bill's big vision. I just wish he had skills to a make it work.

Socal,

Moos paid a premium in hopes to get a long term commitment out of Leach. I think in hindsight you are correct, he could have got Leach on the cheap, got a discount like what happens to most coaches with some sort of baggage that are in their 50's. Here is the tricky part, does another team come in and get leach after 2013 when he was 6-7? Do they wait to see a body of work and look at 2014? Maybe they determine he needs to show more improvement. Then the calls come in in 2015. Then again, maybe teams saw him as Dennis or Power or Jackie Sherrill who coached at a school with obstacles and would do well in a better funded program and not care about his record early on.

If Moos' plan was to flatter Leach into a long term commitment, he seriously misread the room and the profession in general. The poaching concept is always a possibility, but again as an AD, Moos was in a great position to understand how administrators viewed Leach. The fact that Leach could only parley his TT and WSU success/miracle into a MSU job, speaks volumes. I'm not sure that Leach deserves an Alabama opportunity like Price, as he can't win championships, but Tennessee needed and passed on the man, for a no name assistant. While Moos shouldn't be charge with having a crystal ball, he should have solid cold and hot reading skill, which he doesn't/didn't.

Prioritizing coaches over facilities has about as much to do with mishandled negotiations, as bullfighting has to do with agriculture, o' perpetually truculent one, but you always need to pick fights. In the big scheme of thing, we would have been better off had Moos paid Leach double his asking price, and built a far more modest FOB, as a result. There would be a better chance Leach would still be coaching us. Getting back to my initial premise: Mike Leach >>> a swank FOB. It doesn't make Bill a good AD, which is your basic claim. For that, you need more than vision, you need shrewd business skills, as well. I too like'd Bill's big vision. I just wish he had skills to a make it work.

Moos was a good AD. He helped get WSU out of the gutter. It’s ridiculous to think otherwise.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT