ADVERTISEMENT

Why didn't we see Falk run?

CrimsonDisciple

Head Coach
Dec 26, 2005
In the OSU game, Falk ran several times for nice gains and first downs. Falk only ran once for 3 yards against ASU (as far as I could tell), was he told to stay in the pocket? It was almost as if ASU knew he wouldn't run, therefore didn't respect that aspect of his game. I hope Leach understands that he needs to utilize all of Falk's talents this Saturday.

Originally posted by CrimsonDisciple:
In the OSU game, Falk ran several times for nice gains and first downs. Falk only ran once for 3 yards against ASU (as far as I could tell), was he told to stay in the pocket? It was almost as if ASU knew he wouldn't run, therefore didn't respect that aspect of his game. I hope Leach understands that he needs to utilize all of Falk's talents this Saturday.

I'm not trying to pick on you, but comments of that nature are so incredible dumb that they should never be made.

Originally posted by dgibbons:

I'm not trying to pick on you, but comments of that nature are so incredible dumb that they should never be made.
it really amuses me that there are so many on this board, and others that think leach doesn't understand football and how to coach a team

Originally posted by longtimecoug: it really amuses me that there are so many on this board, and others that think leach doesn't understand football and how to coach a team
It's not about Leach not knowing how to coach a team. It's about Leach not adapting. His failure to adapt, his failure to shelf his ego has led this team to a 3 win season..... BTW, neither of you gave a reason as to why we saw Falk utilize his feet at OSU but not at ASU.. Instead, you guys just keep shutting down the conversation. You're good at that.

This post was edited on 11/25 9:00 AM by CrimsonDisciple

I have to agree Crimson. I really don't think Leach wants a qb who can take off and get some easy yds.

I think he is more concerned with a qb setting passing records every yr than anything else.

Meanwhile, every single one of his former assistants run the ball a lot more and are having a lot more success.

Originally posted by longtimecoug:
it really amuses me that there are so many on this board, and others that think leach doesn't understand football and how to coach a team
It's not about Leach not knowing how to coach a team. It's about Leach not adapting. His failure to adapt, his failure to shelf his ego has led this team to a 3 win season..... BTW, neither of you gave a reason as to why we saw Falk utilize his feet at OSU but not at ASU.. Instead, you guys just keep shutting down the conversation. You're good at that.

He wasn't using his feet because ASU leaving a LB in the middle of the field to stop the run- same guy would have been there hammer Falk on any scramble. When they blitzed, there wasn't much of any place for him to go and he didn't have much time, and he should go to the quick throw on a blitz anyway.

The "doesn't adapt" thing is about as overplayed as "not athletes on defense" thing. Have you not seen a 7 OL set in short yardage? Did you not see Falk fake an audible and take a snap under center for a QB sneak?

The reason for three wins is the horrible defense, and worse special teams.

Originally posted by chinookpirate:

the plays you mention are outliers or we wouldn't have gotten boat raced.
What?

Outliers like giving up the most punt returns and KO returns in the country? Or outliers like ranking 99th in total defense and 119th in scoring defense?

Quit using facts dgibbons they only get in the way. If we had even a mediocre defense we would be a 7-8 win team. Your stats prove we are nowhere close to mediocre.The glaring reality is we still have a talent discrepancy on that side of the ball. Special teams are so bad they aren't even worth mentioning at this time. We need to get more athletes on the D. Until that happens we will get boat raced. I think we are getting closer. Our more athletic players are our younger ones. Plug in a few more athletes the next couple of years and we could be competitive.
This post was edited on 11/25 9:38 AM by cougarmike

Originally posted by longtimecoug: it really amuses me that there are so many on this board, and others that think leach doesn't understand football and how to coach a team

isn't running at OSU adapting? Falk had nowhere to run against ASU

Gotta side with Crimson and sponge.....

Originally posted by spongebob11:
I have to agree Crimson. I really don't think Leach wants a qb who can take off and get some easy yds.

I think he is more concerned with a qb setting passing records every yr than anything else.

Meanwhile, every single one of his former assistants run the ball a lot more and are having a lot more success.
....on this topic. Not completely, but to the extent that CML appears to have a stubborn streak, I think is spot on.

Originally posted by chinookpirate:
Your attempt to spin another thread off topic into oblivion again... is noted.
Why don't you make a second attempt to actually make a point. What you wrote above is incomprehensible, which is why I responded with "What?"

Did Moos or Floyd force Russell and Breske on Leach?

I get where we rank. You can't be an average team in terms of scoring when you have a below average team.

Tell me how this program gets fixed with these players playing their current position and we don't rank in the top ten in scoring with a QB that will have growing pains.

Re: Did Moos or Floyd force Russell and Breske on Leach?

Originally posted by CougEd:
I get where we rank. You can't be an average team in terms of scoring when you have a below average team.

Tell me how this program gets fixed with these players playing their current position and we don't rank in the top ten in scoring with a QB that will have growing pains.
This calls for another- What?

We don't rank in the top 10 in scoring offense right now.

You may want to look up what average means. Ranking 37th is well above average.

Re: I want your grading curve.

A C is average Ed. Did you not know that? 37 out of 125 is well above average, without a curve.

Re: Did Moos or Floyd force Russell and Breske on Leach?

It doesn't get fixed. You have to bring in some new guys to either push the current guys to be better or replace them altogether. Hence, 8 year build. The first few years you spend playing one young guy after another and after 6 years your program finally will have a veteran look to it.

As for moving positions, not likely. Too many different skill sets. You can't move a WR to CB if he doesn't have a road runner back peddle. You can't move a WR to S if he isn't a physical player. You can't move a DL to OL because the skills and body types are different. You might be able to move a RB to LB, but then the kid has to be 6' or so.

With Leach's offense there are a few moves you could make, but not many. Unless you get WRs and RBs that can run and hit. Then there's some value there in moving them to defense. Otherwise, nope.

And this is why I like an offense that doesn't use a tight end or fullback. Those 5 or 6 scholarships pushed into other positions are crucial.

You mean like moving Destiny from Buck, to DE, and now to NT

First, how do put a 290 freshman out on the perimeter and expect him to be successful Then How do you wait and move him to DE, and then discover he is probably your most effective inside guy.

But you are correct, the guys leach is recruiting to play slot are slot guys. Torey Hunter could have played slot, they move him to DB. Mobley could have been a back up RB, he is a SS. But I don't see that move with any of the skill level players Leach is recruiting, IE that is why I wrote his philosophy is not conducive to making those types of moves.

But it takes all of five minutes if you are slow to realize Taylor T is not a Pac 12 quality safety. Doesn't mean he can't play Pac 12 football, but he is in the wrong position. Destiny is a Pac 12 DT, why waste him at BUCK? Dotson isn't a string safety. Move him up a level.

Heck, White gets burned off the line of scrimmage and doesn't see the second half of the game. WTF

Re: You mean like moving Destiny from Buck, to DE, and now to NT

Some coaches play kids out of position because they are dummies. Like the idiot staff did with Rankin and Mizell. Other coaches play kids out of position because there just isn't anyone else. They have no other options. And when other options appear, ie other kids show up, you see kids spend their entire career playing out of position or multiple positions. Total disservice to the young man as he will never really mature into any of those spots.

This is why I write that WSU is an eight year build. There's just too many moving parts your first few years. When you finally get your roster settled and can move forward, 5 years has rolled by. And that's when the argument for "what's he done in year 3?" should begin.

Unless of course you just suck. Which can be blatantly obvious for some idiot coaches.

Re: You mean like moving Destiny from Buck, to DE, and now to NT

First, how do put a 290 freshman out on the perimeter and expect him to be successful Then How do you wait and move him to DE, and then discover he is probably your most effective inside guy.

But you are correct, the guys leach is recruiting to play slot are slot guys. Torey Hunter could have played slot, they move him to DB. Mobley could have been a back up RB, he is a SS. But I don't see that move with any of the skill level players Leach is recruiting, IE that is why I wrote his philosophy is not conducive to making those types of moves.

But it takes all of five minutes if you are slow to realize Taylor T is not a Pac 12 quality safety. Doesn't mean he can't play Pac 12 football, but he is in the wrong position. Destiny is a Pac 12 DT, why waste him at BUCK? Dotson isn't a string safety. Move him up a level.

Heck, White gets burned off the line of scrimmage and doesn't see the second half of the game. WTF
Pardon me for interrupting, but Vaeao started at DE, then moved to Buck, then to DE. I don't recall him actually seeing game time at noseguard. I also don't think that moving guys around is all that bad, because they're exploring the limited options they have. To be honest, up to the ASU game, Vaeao hadn't done much to merit the PT he was getting.

What other position is Taliulu going to play?

And for the consistency crusaders, please note that you're complaining about moving one guy around, and also complaining about not moving other guys around.

You mean the plethra of options at Dt's and MLB

as options under the previous coach. Nice try. Everyone plugs gaps. But the most curious was you can find a BUCK on the street corner, you don't find active 290 pound guys to play inside on every street corner.

Thank you for the sequential order...

But it still is about a 290 lb sophomore trying to play in space when there is a much more obvious position for the kid. For Destiny V he should never played one down at BUCK. If they don't have options at LB it would seem to be a problem with recruiting or player attrition.

Tailui could have redshirted and played Coens position, or he could ride the bench. One of the two.

As for consistency, I have no problem with Destiny being moved from DE to a DT position, but three plays you could tell he was not meant to be out in space. So the problem isn't they moved Destiny, it is where they moved him to.

White for example, play him at safety. Make that move ASAP. Get Pritchard to move up a row, or move out if you need the scholie. I would move Lemora up to Coens spot as well.

But moving destiny to BUCK is like moving Lemora to CB. That is the part to "complain about".

Re: Vaeao move to Buck similar to Sasa to DE?

Since it's Apple Cup week and all I remember that move of Sasa out to DE. Vaeao hasn't stuck at the Buck even last year. It seemed more of a move related to schedule since they were up against run heavy teams in Auburn and SC the first 2 games of the season.

Re: Thank you for the sequential order...

Taliulu shouldn't be playing Cohens position. He should be playing on red turf about 80 miles north west.

Simple Answer: Why didn't Falk run?

Guys, it has little to do with Leach's O philosophy.

It has a lot more to do with an ASU LB lurking over the middle and our lack of any kind of reasonable back up QB if Falk gets hurt.

I'm sorry, but this is pretty obvious, and doesn't require straying into the usual mud-slinging.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT