ADVERTISEMENT

Will be interesting to see how Arbuckle adapts with Mateer.

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
We hired coach Arbuckle based on his vertical passing scheme and Cam Ward's abilities, but this is going to be an interesting season to watch how adaptable he is as a coach.

My biggest takeaway from the Spring Game is that we appear to be better suited for a power RPO attack than we are for a 4 WR pocket offense. Mateer is an excellent athlete and possesses a uniquely tough vertical running ability at the QB position. We also appear to have 3 solid RB's and a couple of good TE's.

I wouldn't typically be optimistic about our chances at lining up in the P12 with a heavier RPO offense, but this year's schedule is flush with MWC opponents, and I think we might better suited to a lower risk, North/South attack as opposed to trotting out 4 WRs and playing to what I don't see as Mateer's strength.

With all of realignment stuff that happened and the future uncertainties, there's definitely a dark cloud over our fan base, but this is an important bridge year for us. Crap schedule or not, it would be super helpful if we could post an 8-4 (or better) record and snag an early season win over Texas Tech or UW.

Arbuckle's offense at W. Kentucky didn't seem to emphasize the vertical as much as the quick crossing routes, finding receivers in space underneath, and more designed run plays with the RBs, using the vertical routes just enough to keep the D from coming up. The WSU offense last season didn't look to me like the WKU offense from 2022...probably due to the weakness of the OL and the tendency of Ward to scramble and run.

Reactions: mikalalas
Mateer's skill set seems to be suited towards an RPO, so i think that is what we will see. Also, they usually like to keep it pretty basic during Spring so i doubt we saw how they plan to ultimately utilize his skills....but my feeling is more runs and quick throws.

Reactions: Coug90
We hired coach Arbuckle based on his vertical passing scheme and Cam Ward's abilities, but this is going to be an interesting season to watch how adaptable he is as a coach.

My biggest takeaway from the Spring Game is that we appear to be better suited for a power RPO attack than we are for a 4 WR pocket offense. Mateer is an excellent athlete and possesses a uniquely tough vertical running ability at the QB position. We also appear to have 3 solid RB's and a couple of good TE's.

I wouldn't typically be optimistic about our chances at lining up in the P12 with a heavier RPO offense, but this year's schedule is flush with MWC opponents, and I think we might better suited to a lower risk, North/South attack as opposed to trotting out 4 WRs and playing to what I don't see as Mateer's strength.

With all of realignment stuff that happened and the future uncertainties, there's definitely a dark cloud over our fan base, but this is an important bridge year for us. Crap schedule or not, it would be super helpful if we could post an 8-4 (or better) record and snag an early season win over Texas Tech or UW.
Well, the OL and RB positions will need to solidify for that to happen. The defense will have to stop someone every once in awhile too. Shrug.

The offense is a COMBINATION of RPO, Mike Price offense, Air Raid, Run N Shoot like, Spread, with concepts from all of those.

The offense will at least try to run about 43% of time, and Pass about 57% of time in a more balanced Pass to set up the run to set up the Pass. The offense will also be classic dink and dunk, with just enough medium to semi deep ball threats. The offense will try to spread the field and use every blade of grass on field between the out of bounds lines, etc, both run wise, Pass wise. The offense will have more QB runs, and will try to be a MIX of left runs, middle runs, right runs, toss runs, reverses, wildcat hand offs to RB, WR, quick hitters, delays draws, traps, counter gap, screens, passes to WR, RB, TE, shovel passes to RB, WR, short curls, tosses, crosses, mesh, go, out, vert, etc routes, etc, and there will try to be left passes, right passes, middle passes, short passes, medium passes, semi deep passes, and there will try to be run after catch focus, there will try to be trick plays, and there will try to be 2 WR sets, 3 WR sets, 4 WR sets mix, and 1 TE, and 1 RB and 2 RB mix, and will try to be less predictable, and will try to use a mix of all that, those things

The coaches keep using the word MULTIPLE to describe offense. It's a very balanced, mixy, unpredictactabke offense, or at least will try to be.

The 15 play 99 yard TD drive(At spring game), is exactly how the offense try to work for time of possession, ball control, resting defense. The offense is designed to try to grind out 10 yards at a time, get ahead of chains, move first down chains, 5 to 10 to 15 yards at a time

Only problem with offense is that harder to get right players for it, and it's very sophisticated, semi complicated, semi complex, semi harder to learn, remember, rep, execute, then a simpler offense.

And injuries, changing who play with who, cohesion, chemistry, etc, also affect how good or poorly the offense works.

Well, the OL and RB positions will need to solidify for that to happen. The defense will have to stop someone every once in awhile too. Shrug.

my personal feeling is they think they can scheme around our weaknesses. Mateer is either going to throw or run, and he's not going to dance around like Cam did.

my personal feeling is they think they can scheme around our weaknesses. Mateer is either going to throw or run, and he's not going to dance around like Cam did.

And Mateer can, will probably throw on, during, just barely shortly after run stop, pull up, just like he did when he threw on the run, and threw that about 26 to 28 to 30 to 32 to 34 yard TD, that was a pretty accurate pass, during the Spring Game

The OL was injured, had players held out, not show up, etc, and got scrambled, mixed up, had to play with different players, harder to have cohesion, chemistry, because of that, had a new coach, all of that combined together, of course is going to cause the OL to not look as good. And despite that, the OL was ok at times, and helped RB's Schlenbaker, Parker looked good at times. And Schlenbaker, Parker did good, great, some to lots of times. The offense really semi only sputtered under the new transfer, at least in the beginning to middle, except for some good plays at times, and when the 3rd stringers came in. And Mateer led the offense on long, time consuming TD drives, like the 15 play 99 yard TD drive

Good conversation. I suspect that how far we move toward RPO will depend partially upon whether we can get a TE who is both a good blocker and a pass catcher. Last year we had one or the other but not both. Maybe the blocker has better hands this year...or maybe one of the catchers has bulked up and improved his blocking technique. Either way, an RPO needs a TE who is a threat to do either if it is going to succeed.

Throwing on the run gets exponentially more difficult the longer the pass needs to be. Less than 10 yards is very different from 20+. I think Mateer would be fine with shorter passes on the run. The jury is out on longer passes, even if they are going in the same direction and directly in front of him. Those kind of passes are like trying to hit a golf ball if you are moving your front foot & shifting your eye height. Time will tell.

I think we have the pieces for a much better O line than last year if they are all healthy when it is time to play. Cross your fingers. If we have a low injury year, especially on the O line, we could have a group that can move the ball while eating some clock. You have to go back almost 20 years to find that at WSU.

Finally, the platoon system at RB might actually be OK. A fresh RB who can run, block or catch is a requirement, since there will be a lot of motion this year. Let's see who emerges. We have a lot of competition at this position.

For all of the strengths that Ward had, I will be a lot happier if we can refrain from 15-yard sacks, high exposure fumbles, and 90% of our scoring in the 1st 20-25 minutes

For all of the strengths that Ward had, I will be a lot happier if we can refrain from 15-yard sacks, high exposure fumbles, and 90% of our scoring in the 1st 20-25 minutes
I don’t think Mateer is going to be run first, but he’s not going to hesitate to tuck it and go when nothing is there unlike Cam. He’s going to present that challenge where he’s basically an extra guy on the field, and defenses will use an extra coverage guy to spy him or they will get burned.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
I don’t think Mateer is going to be run first, but he’s not going to hesitate to tuck it and go when nothing is there unlike Cam. He’s going to present that challenge where he’s basically an extra guy on the field, and defenses will use an extra coverage guy to spy him or they will get burned.
From what we can see now, I think you are 100% right. Defenses will have to cover him, because I bet he runs 10-15% of the time. That is enough to cripple a D if they leave him uncovered.

From what we can see now, I think you are 100% right. Defenses will have to cover him, because I bet he runs 10-15% of the time. That is enough to cripple a D if they leave him uncovered.
As much stuff as I rag on Biggs for, I 100% agree with his take on how WSU should utilize the position. We are already outmanned against bigger programs, if your QB is a legit running threat you are foolish not to make that an integral part of your offense. Defending that is like playing against a 12 man offense. Opens throwing lanes up for receivers, makes defenders slower to crash running lanes on backs, and makes blocking so much easier for OLinemen, something that we need badly.

The downside of a running QB is that you need 2 or 3 on the roster due to injury concerns. But ultimately, you have to fully utilize your resources, and a running QB puts stresses on the D that you need to utilize....

The downside of a running QB is that you need 2 or 3 on the roster due to injury concerns. But ultimately, you have to fully utilize your resources, and a running QB puts stresses on the D that you need to utilize....
A smart RPO qb isn't looking to Jerome Bettis his way for 3 yards when he keeps, but waiting for the crashing DE to give him a semi-truck lane to get 5 and slide or go out of bounds.

I guess we'll see what kind of RPO qb Mateer is.

Reactions: Coug90
Oregon state was gutted by the portal

A smart RPO qb isn't looking to Jerome Bettis his way for 3 yards when he keeps, but waiting for the crashing DE to give him a semi-truck lane to get 5 and slide or go out of bounds.

Agree fully. But even a QB who slides to avoid tackles can't avoid more contact if he is running than if he was hanging in the pocket most of the time. RPO QB's tend to have a shelf life...but they make it exciting while they are healthy. And a decent running QB really is a tough stretch for the D to contain without giving up something else. It will be interesting to see how Arbuckle approaches that.

The little bit we saw him do it in live action he looked good (Stanford two years ago). The read option is worthless if the QB never keeps it. When you e got a QB who consistently makes the right decision it’s a MF to defend.

The kid wants to run, the kid wants to compete, The kid waited for his turn. Hell the kid got mad in the spring game when they called a play dead. I like the energy. Turn him loose.

The kid wants to run, the kid wants to compete, The kid waited for his turn. Hell the kid got mad in the spring game when they called a play dead. I like the energy. Turn him loose.
I agree. I can't say I was super excited about Mateer showed during the spring game, but I can say I am intrigued. As the title of this thread states, it will be interesting to see how Arbukke uses Mateer this fall.

As to the online. Hard to tell where they are at in a game like this. My assumption is we will see a slightly upgraded OL.

I liked what the RB brought, but not excited about the WR play. TE....? No idea.

I think with the right playcaling the offense has some tool to become productive, but Mateer need to be cut loose for this offense to be anything but pedestrian.

I agree. I can't say I was super excited about Mateer showed during the spring game, but I can say I am intrigued. As the title of this thread states, it will be interesting to see how Arbukke uses Mateer this fall.

As to the online. Hard to tell where they are at in a game like this. My assumption is we will see a slightly upgraded OL.

I liked what the RB brought, but not excited about the WR play. TE....? No idea.

I think with the right playcaling the offense has some tool to become productive, but Mateer need to be cut loose for this offense to be anything but pedestrian.
Serious question. Can the OLine be any worse? If you think they can none of this other stuff matters and Mateer will be fortunate to finish the season.

I seem to be a bit more optimistic about the O line than some of you folks. Spring ball let us get some good development and visibility due to injuries to several 1's. I expect some good competition come fall, which is all for the good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT