ADVERTISEMENT

Will Rodrick Fisher and Drue Jackson be the ...

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
best freshmen wide receivers WSU has seen in years? We might be able to stretch the field with these guys.

How did Fischer perform in the Army All Star game? I saw some stats and it did not appear that he was involved much in the game.

How did Fischer perform in the Army All Star game? I saw some stats and it did not appear that he was involved much in the game.

No receptions, but I didn't watch the game, so I can't say if any passes were thrown his way. The WR who committed to USC got most of the looks. I did watch some of the practice video showing him going one on one with one of the better DBs there. He more than held his own. My main interest was seeing if he has a quick take off. Some taller sprinters in track often do not (Usain Bolt is usually behind in the first 40 meters). I saw a nice burst from Fisher, so if I had a concern, I no longer do.

No receptions, but I didn't watch the game, so I can't say if any passes were thrown his way. The WR who committed to USC got most of the looks. I did watch some of the practice video showing him going one on one with one of the better DBs there. He more than held his own. My main interest was seeing if he has a quick take off. Some taller sprinters in track often do not (Usain Bolt is usually behind in the first 40 meters). I saw a nice burst from Fisher, so if I had a concern, I no longer do.

He played. But it seemed like the “starters” got the vast majority of the snaps.

I sure hope so - WSU has not had a serious deep threat sinse Marquis Wilson.
Combine that with a QB who likes to and is capable of throwing a decent deep ball...this This is part of the offense that has been badly missed, and helps to stretch out the defense and opens everything else up.

I think Fisher is a little raw. Don’t be shocked if he redshirts. Looking forward to see how he does this spring.

Agreed. It is a long, long way from the Great Northern League to the Pac-12. He may be a burner but the delta between his speed and Class AA db's compared to his speed and Pac-12 db's is much different.

Reactions: Whitworth-Coug
I think we have some real solid guys coming in.

From a purely physical standpoint Mayle was the best receiver I've seen WSU have in a long time. The problem with him was his very sparse experience coming in.
If he had years of pop warner, middle school, highschool development he would have been a 5 star talent coming out of highschool.

He was 6'2 200 lbs. I mean look at the guns on him.

Rutgers+v+Washington+State+Hy-63jEZk4Dx.jpg

As I said, from a purely physical standpoint he was the best. The combination of size and power is rare.

Problem was...little experience, not that great of hands. Had those been developed he would have destroyed people. Despite that lack of experience he STILL got 106 receptions and 1400 yards his senior year. He had only played like 3-4 years of football total.

That's more than Wilson did in 2011. He is by far the most physically gifted guy to set foot on WSU's campus in a LONG time.

Now Drue Jackson looks great, but I think Rodrick Fisher has the Mayle potential AND the experience.

I think Drue Jackson will definitely contribute, but Rodrick looks to have a higher starting and finishing ceiling. Jackson has to put on some bulk and tighten up his speed to be a dominant guy, but I expect both to start.

How good will they be? Who knows, but if Rodrick who is 6'2 200 coming in just like Mayle but with a lot more polish...AND a full fresh set of eligibility.

Don't sleep on Gray or Nunn either. Nunn is 6'3 200 coming in and has monster potential too. Gray is a giant at 6'5 but is very thin.

I like this group a whole lot we have coming in, but just on paper from development Fisher is the furthest along. Then Nunn, then Jackson, and then Gray. I would even go a

Don't sleep on Gray or Nunn either. Nunn is 6'3 200 coming in and has monster potential too. Gray is a giant at 6'5 but is very thin.

I like this group a whole lot we have coming in, but just on paper from development Fisher is the furthest along. Then Nunn, then Jackson, and then Gray. I would even go a
Really like Gray's potential. It will be interesting to see whether Nunn ends up on defense. It's a quality group coming in and we will need 1 or 2 to play right away.

Really like Gray's potential. It will be interesting to see whether Nunn ends up on defense. It's a quality group coming in and we will need 1 or 2 to play right away.
I saw Tay Martin as an exciting project, and by the end of the season he was clearly our most talented outside receiver.

I think we have some real solid guys coming in.

From a purely physical standpoint Mayle was the best receiver I've seen WSU have in a long time. The problem with him was his very sparse experience coming in.
If he had years of pop warner, middle school, highschool development he would have been a 5 star talent coming out of highschool.

He was 6'2 200 lbs. I mean look at the guns on him.

Rutgers+v+Washington+State+Hy-63jEZk4Dx.jpg

As I said, from a purely physical standpoint he was the best. The combination of size and power is rare.

Problem was...little experience, not that great of hands. Had those been developed he would have destroyed people. Despite that lack of experience he STILL got 106 receptions and 1400 yards his senior year. He had only played like 3-4 years of football total.

That's more than Wilson did in 2011. He is by far the most physically gifted guy to set foot on WSU's campus in a LONG time.

Now Drue Jackson looks great, but I think Rodrick Fisher has the Mayle potential AND the experience.

I think Drue Jackson will definitely contribute, but Rodrick looks to have a higher starting and finishing ceiling. Jackson has to put on some bulk and tighten up his speed to be a dominant guy, but I expect both to start.

How good will they be? Who knows, but if Rodrick who is 6'2 200 coming in just like Mayle but with a lot more polish...AND a full fresh set of eligibility.

I think Patmon and Tay Martin will be the starters at the end of fall camp, with Fisher and Jackson on heavy rotation, with one of them having a strong chance at unseating Patmon by season's end. Tay Martin is a playmaker, and he did a lot of damage as a raw true frosh

I think Patmon and Tay Martin will be the starters at the end of fall camp, with Fisher and Jackson on heavy rotation, with one of them having a strong chance at unseating Patmon by season's end. Tay Martin is a playmaker, and he did a lot of damage as a raw true frosh

Agree with this generally. Tay Martin looks like a potential star, and Patmon was pretty steady toward the end of the season while fulfilling a need for a bigger outside WR, but I could see him losing some PT at some point as some younger guys get adjusted.

I like Fisher a lot, but I think he got a taste of what Power 5-level college ball is going to be like in that All-American game and the lead-up to it. He has immense potential, but I think it's probably best for him to redshirt and get bigger and stronger while adjusting to opponents who are (almost) as fast as him. (And if he proves this sentiment wrong and earns PT this coming year, all the better ... maybe they won't be able to keep him off the field.)

Reactions: Whitworth-Coug
Don't mean to take the thread on a tangent, but did anyone watch that game all the way through? There was a stud WR (who caught balls very well) and a RB who had WSU in his top 4 still. I didn't catch their names?

I think Fisher is a little raw. Don’t be shocked if he redshirts. Looking forward to see how he does this spring.

If Fisher redshirts, that says to me he'll only be a contributor during his tenure. Top WR recruits aren't redshirting very much anymore. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't crack the rotation.

Don't mean to take the thread on a tangent, but did anyone watch that game all the way through? There was a stud WR (who caught balls very well) and a RB who had WSU in his top 4 still. I didn't catch their names?
I didn't watch but by going what you are saying, are you talking about Tuni Fifita? Not even sure if he was in that game but I've been watching him to see if he goes to WSU or Utah...

I'm of the mind that both Fisher and Jackson should redshirt. We have depth. Unless we start the season and all of our WR's don't know how to catch a ball or run, redshirting will only help us in the future. We need to delay instant gratification in order to have a more incredible future. Groom them, let them grow, let them get accustomed to the D1 speed BEFORE they hit the field...

I'm of the mind that both Fisher and Jackson should redshirt. We have depth. Unless we start the season and all of our WR's don't know how to catch a ball or run, redshirting will only help us in the future. We need to delay instant gratification in order to have a more incredible future. Groom them, let them grow, let them get accustomed to the D1 speed BEFORE they hit the field...

Fisher's early enrollment could make a big difference. Get used to the speed of the game, get into the training regimen. 8 months of growth is a long time when you are 18.

I would speculate that neither of them redshirts.

Adam Fischer just resigned as head coach at East Valley to follow his son's college career. Which leads me to believe he's not redshirting - no reason to stop coaching to watch a redshirt season.

Adam Fischer just resigned as head coach at East Valley to follow his son's college career. Which leads me to believe he's not redshirting - no reason to stop coaching to watch a redshirt season.
Possible but you're assuming Adam has had some sort of confirmation from CML that he will play. I don't know that CML would confirm such a thing. He might say, "Any player has the opportunity to play". Any maybe Adam just has that much confidence in his son... Which is cool! But I don't know that I would put money on it.

Also, I saw that he had stepped down in order to follow his kid... I had a complete flash backs to the Craig James situation... CML was/is very open that he thought Craig James was a "helicopter dad" and how much he hated that, always hovering around, making sure his kid got enough snaps and PT, things like that. I like the Fisher family story but I hope he isn't going down that road.

How many kids do we have on the roster with Fischer's speed? At the very least, he contributes on special teams. Who's he going up against on the depth chart at WR? Nobody outside of the starters jumps out at me.

How many kids do we have on the roster with Fischer's speed? At the very least, he contributes on special teams. Who's he going up against on the depth chart at WR? Nobody outside of the starters jumps out at me.
Completely possible. And if he's so good that CML can't/won't redshirt him, then he's that good. And that means he'll only contribute in a positive light. And I'd be OK with that. Not arguing with you just to argue.

But where I'm coming from is this... if he's physically there but struggle at the leap to D1 ball (basically making him equivalent to our other WR's on the roster because they may not be as fast but have more experience. He is faster but doesn't have the experience.), I'd rather see him redshirted. But if your scenario comes to fruition, great.

I was just perusing the roster and can see where he might get that play time. He's tall and beefy compared to a good chunk of our other WR's. We shall see.

Possible but you're assuming Adam has had some sort of confirmation from CML that he will play. I don't know that CML would confirm such a thing. He might say, "Any player has the opportunity to play". Any maybe Adam just has that much confidence in his son... Which is cool! But I don't know that I would put money on it.

Also, I saw that he had stepped down in order to follow his kid... I had a complete flash backs to the Craig James situation... CML was/is very open that he thought Craig James was a "helicopter dad" and how much he hated that, always hovering around, making sure his kid got enough snaps and PT, things like that. I like the Fisher family story but I hope he isn't going down that road.

NOTHING in Adam Fisher's background even remotely indicates he is a Craig James. He comes from a coaching family (Ed Fisher was a hall of famer at S. Kitsap), played at EWU and has had a pretty good run at EV. Have never once heard anything but good about his program and the way he carries himself. As I recall he also has a couple other kids and maybe he just wants to spend some additional parent time with them instead of other parents' kids.

Sometimes points are made on the internet as hyperbole and I get that. But that's really disrespectful to remotely associate Fisher with a scumbag like Craig James.

Reactions: Alpine Cougar
best freshmen wide receivers WSU has seen in years? We might be able to stretch the field with these guys.
Gotta have a qb with the confidence to see a 1v1 and go over the top and let the WR do their job.

It killed me the last two years to see us dink and dunk so much - college football is a passing game, and the O and WR's have a huge advantage.

Yes, possess the ball. Yes, keep the chains moving. But when you have a playmaker like TMJ (regardless of how we feel about him now...), you are almost obligated to go over the top several times a game. Let them make plays. Marks' senior season was disgraceful due to how seldom he got the ball.

NOTHING in Adam Fisher's background even remotely indicates he is a Craig James. He comes from a coaching family (Ed Fisher was a hall of famer at S. Kitsap), played at EWU and has had a pretty good run at EV. Have never once heard anything but good about his program and the way he carries himself. As I recall he also has a couple other kids and maybe he just wants to spend some additional parent time with them instead of other parents' kids.

Sometimes points are made on the internet as hyperbole and I get that. But that's really disrespectful to remotely associate Fisher with a scumbag like Craig James.
Whoa. I meant no disrespect Observer. I know their story quite well. My wife works with Homeless kids in Spokane on a daily basis. What this kid has done, and what the Fisher family has done, is incredible. So I wasn't trying to project.

But why would you need to quit your job? High school football is Friday's. He can go down to Pullman on Saturday morning for games. Away games might be difficult but doable depending on where. Might miss a couple games a year... So to me, as I said before, I hope that isn't heading down that road. And it very well won't! But it sure makes you wonder how involved he wants to be in this process. To quit your job, as commendable as that is, opens up the questions of "how involved does he want to be", IMHO. He can be VERY involved and not quit his job. CML was clear in his book on how he felt about parents being too much involved in the program. That's my only reference.

Gotta have a qb with the confidence to see a 1v1 and go over the top and let the WR do their job.

It killed me the last two years to see us dink and dunk so much - college football is a passing game, and the O and WR's have a huge advantage.

Yes, possess the ball. Yes, keep the chains moving. But when you have a playmaker like TMJ (regardless of how we feel about him now...), you are almost obligated to go over the top several times a game. Let them make plays. Marks' senior season was disgraceful due to how seldom he got the ball.

It will be about getting separation and being able to block. I assume he has the speed and hands.

We are in the top six for Maurice Washington RB out of Texas (currently) he had moved around. He dominated his all-star game. I hope RB coach stays and is on him. You can never have too many with that talent.
1_7676223.jpg

Maurice Washington

Nor am I. Not sure how it will play out. My thought is that in today's college football / basketball world, elite recruits don't typically redshirt anymore. Will be fun to watch it play out.
Isn't it crazy that we have this kind of "problem"?!?!? Love it.

I don't see why Fisher would need to Redshirt. Remember, he was held back a year in school so he is basically a RS FR coming in already. I think he will be the starter day one. Gray definitely needs to redshirt to put on weight. Hopefully Tay Martin and Calvin can do the same this offseason.

Whoa. I meant no disrespect Observer. I know their story quite well. My wife works with Homeless kids in Spokane on a daily basis. What this kid has done, and what the Fisher family has done, is incredible. So I wasn't trying to project.

But why would you need to quit your job? High school football is Friday's. He can go down to Pullman on Saturday morning for games. Away games might be difficult but doable depending on where. Might miss a couple games a year... So to me, as I said before, I hope that isn't heading down that road. And it very well won't! But it sure makes you wonder how involved he wants to be in this process. To quit your job, as commendable as that is, opens up the questions of "how involved does he want to be", IMHO. He can be VERY involved and not quit his job. CML was clear in his book on how he felt about parents being too much involved in the program. That's my only reference.

Couple of things. First, Coach Fisher is also a teacher at EV, so he is probably not quitting his job, just the coaching part (unless things have changed dramatically, an extra assignment that carries some sort of stipend - a few thousand dollars maybe).

Second, I see where Rodrick turned 19 in December. So yeah he is a year older than most recruits. Add in Spring ball, and he will be ready come Fall.

Adam's father, Ed Fisher, was a legendary high school football coach at South Kitsap High School in Port Orchard. His father also quit coaching football at a relatively young age. They are both workaholics. He could be burning out and this was as good of an excuse as any to step way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT