ADVERTISEMENT

Williams

Coug-Vandal

Hall Of Fame
Jan 7, 2003
If we can pull ourselves away from talking about Wulff's poor recruiting of O lineman for a while, the Spokesman this morning talked about how good Williams has looked at running back and mentioned that the Cougs were not likely to use a four running back rotation. So who is the odd man out next year? I'm thinking maybe Harrington goes back to being a slot receiver.

Thorpe and Britton have suggested that Harrington would move back to Slot WR (what he was recruited as) & Williams would fill his current role at the RB spot.

If we can pull ourselves away from talking about Wulff's poor recruiting of O lineman for a while, the Spokesman this morning talked about how good Williams has looked at running back and mentioned that the Cougs were not likely to use a four running back rotation. So who is the odd man out next year? I'm thinking maybe Harrington goes back to being a slot receiver.
I think Harrington will move back to a receiver spot...although he's shown some potential as a playmaker out of the backfield, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him stay there and have someone else get moved to receiver.

Thorpe and Britton have suggested that Harrington would move back to Slot WR (what he was recruited as) & Williams would fill his current role at the RB spot.[/QUOTE]

We would seem to have an abundance of inside receivers. Cracraft, Sweet, Lewis and Harrington. A nice problem to have. If Marks leaves we will need some outside guys to step up. Priester--Martin and ????

Harrington has been ELECTRIFYING out of the backfield. He averages about 6 yards per carry. He is shifty, makes defenders miss in semi open field. He has speed, excellent vision, to see holes, blocking, follows blocking well, explodes thru the hole, creases, can get to outside, can run off tackle, between guard, tackle, altho not good, or not as good between center, guard, can cut back, stop on dime, change, go opposite direction, start, stop, change, shift speed, gears, elusive, jukes, knows when to stop going east,west,outside, to sidelines, and when to go north, south, straight ahead, reminds me a lot of former coug RB, Jerome Harrison, has had semi consistent big gains of 19 to 50 yard runs, big plays, first downs, TD's, more so then wicks, morrow, can block well, good at RB screens, good hands, catches ball well.

Wicks gets 6 yards per carry, not by getting 3.5 yards on few, some runs, big gains other runs, but by grinding out 4.3 to 7.3 yards per carry, for about a 5.9 yard per carry average, consistently.

Morrow, is a mix of Wicks, Harrington, Morrow, all mixed, combined into 1 RB, kind of like a jack of all styles combined, master of none.

The only way Harrington, goes to the slot, is if Morrow, becomes more of a master of all styles combined, becomes more like Harrington, creating a equalized redundancy.

And only if Harrington struggles at RB, and only if James Williams, takes the job away from Harrington, and only if Harrington shows he good enough to take WR job away from other WR, and only if the WR Corp struggles, needs Harrington, and only if all those factors happen, combine together at the same time, does Harrington move to slot, out of the RB rotation.

Harrington's job in the running back rotation, is Harrington's to lose, and for Williams to struggle to win.

And by the middle to end of next year, Harrington probably has a great, probable chance to win, be the starting RB, or RB with the most touches, carries, production.

And if not next year, then almost certainly the year after next year.

Harrington is very much like Steve Broussard, Jerome Harrison, Jonathan Smith all combined into one.

He has the POTENTIAL, ON PAPER, to be that good.

Not saying he will, just that he has a reasonable chance, IF he is not moved to slot, which is why he should not be moved to slot, unless have to.

Also I have not heard, players, coaches, Mike Leach, speculate, say anything about the possibility of moving Harrington to slot.

Thorpe, Britton, Spokesman, posters, etc, have SPECULATED, that Harrington could be moved to slot, or should be moved to slot.

But Speculation, is guessing, predicting, projecting, etc, even if it were to be logical, educated, reasonable, rational.

If Harrington gets moved to Slot, or if Leach, other WSU coaches, say that Harrington, will be moved to slot, then, and only then, would I think, believe that.

Last edited:
Reactions: froropmkr72
Also Harrington was not recruited as a slot WR. He was recruited as a RB. Harrington dominated as a RB in highschool. And he dominated in the prestigious highschool all star game he played in as a RB.

He also received many offers, an or interest, from big time programs as a RB.

Yes there was also interest in him as a WR.

Altho he was recruited as a RB, he was moved to WR, because of how deep WSU was at RB.

But they moved him back to RB when they saw how deep the WR Corp was, and because of how good at RB.

So Harrington was not recruited as a WR, but as a RB.

If there had been less depth at RB, and more perceived depth at WR, then he would not have been moved from RB to WR, then been moved back to RB again.

Also I do not want to see Harrington moved to WR.

I think it would be a big mistake to do that, unless had to do it out of necessity, like injuries, lack of depth at WR.

Which I don't see happening.

Marks is a Redshirt Sophomore this year. That's 3 years. He has 2 years of eligibility left.

If he left this year, he would go 2nd to 7th round, undrafted.

If he stays then next year he would go 1st round to 5th round.

If he graduates, then he would go number 1 pick of 1st round to 2nd, 3rd rounds.

So it's better for him to get injury insurance, stay.

Also if he stays he will be part of a rosebowl, an or north division title.

So he won't leave, and will stay.

So altho lose Dom Williams.

Still have Marks, Cracraft, Priester, Lewis, Martin, Sweet, Thompson.

Even if lost Marks, WSU would still have 6 great WR'S

WSU, has the deepest WR Corp in the PAC 12, maybe even the country.

Also WSU' s Air Raid can be Plug, Play, as far as WR goes.

Also if CB gets depth, they could move Green, back from CB, back to WR.

So no reason to move Harrington to slot Receiver. Marks not leaving. WR has depth. There would be 4 to 6 other WR ahead of him. Moving Green could, probably would be a better option. He would rot on bench.

So I don't want to see Harrington moved to Slot WR, and I think it would be a big mistake, considering how awesome Harrington is at RB

If Harrington is moved to Slot WR, I would be pissed.

Definitely a fan of Harrington at RB.

I think it would be a big mistake to do that, unless had to do it out of necessity, like injuries, lack of depth at WR.

Marks is a Redshirt Sophomore this year. That's 3 years. He has 2 years of eligibility left.

If he graduates, then he would go number 1 pick of 1st round to 2nd, 3rd rounds.

So no reason to move Harrington to slot Receiver. Marks not leaving. WR has depth. There would be 4 to 6 other WR ahead of him. Moving Green could, probably would be a better option. He would rot on bench.

So I don't want to see Harrington moved to Slot WR, and I think it would be a big mistake, considering how awesome Harrington is at RB

So who do you move to a back-up role then, because there is no doubt Boobie Williams will be getting a lot of carries next year?

If you check the roster, you'll find he's actually a redshirt Junior. We've got him for 1 more year after this if he chooses not to make himself eligible for the draft. I'd also like to think he stays another year to "take care of unfinished business", but who knows.

If you check the roster, you'll find he's actually a redshirt Junior. We've got him for 1 more year after this if he chooses not to make himself eligible for the draft. I'd also like to think he stays another year to "take care of unfinished business", but who knows.
I'd love to see him stay, but I'm not convinced he'll increase his draft position by doing so. Thus, I'm leaning that he will leave.

Marks is good enough, but his durability has to be a problem. He "acts" hurt after every catch. Nothing against him because again, his skill set is nfl level, but his body taking shots from nfl linebackers and safeties is scary..

You are speculating that Marks stays but critical of people who speculate that Harrington gets moved to WR. Frankly, I don't care where Harrington plays....he's valuable at either position. Chances are he has a better opportunity to have the ball in his hands as a WR than a running back in our offense. Leach will put him where it makes sense and there really is no need to be pissed if Harrington ends up being a WR. It's a good "problem" to have when there are three other quality running backs....Wicks, Morrow, and Williams.

Glad Cougar

Marks is gone after this year.
Well, as a RS junior, there's literally no reason not to use the chance to submit for evaluation, which I'd think would go favorably.

As for Harrington, of the three rotation backs, he does have a unique explosive quality that I'd like to have available out of the backfield. If the coaches think Williams brings an even better version of what Harrington has already provided, it would be hard to argue against that.

Also Harrington was not recruited as a slot WR. He was recruited as a RB.

First, I love Harrington. And what he brings to the 'O'. RB/WR he'll do a great job.

From the Spokesmans Thorpe last April (spring practice)

"He came to WSU as a receiver last year and began taking reps for the scout team at running back – the position he played for Northeast High School in St. Petersburg, Florida – after Squally Canada’s transfer left the Cougars short of bodies in practice and during underclassmen scrimmages.

Soon, running backs coach Jim Mastro insisted the stopgap switch become permanent.

“It wasn’t too big of a fight,” Mastro said. “I just said we’ve got to move him. It was obvious what he was doing to our defense last year that he had to be a running back.”

Last edited:
The Spokesman is, got it wrong, and has done so in the past.

Harrington was recruited as a RB. But as soon as he got here, he was moved from RB to WR. Then he was moved back to RB.

At best, Harrington could take minutes, reps, touches, catches, etc, from, is Thompson, and either Sweet, or Martin.

No way he takes Marks, Cracraft, Priester, Lewis ' s spots at WR. That means at best he would be 5th WR, if Mark's stays, and 4th WR, if Marks leaves, at best. And probably would be 7th WR, if Marks stays, 6th WR, if Marks leaves. That means he would rot on bench, if he moved to WR.

Last edited:
James Williams, will be a untried, untested, inexperienced underclassmen next year at RB.

He may be tearing it up in practice, etc. And altho he is shifty, and good, he lacks breakaway speed, explosiveness, electric ability that Harrington has.

It's Harrington's job to lose, and James Williams job to win.

If James Williams is going to take Harrington's job, he will have to tear it up in practice, during spring game, out perform Harrington during spring game, and the non con part of schedule next year.

And if he wants to crack the rotation, he will have to beat out either Harrington (unlikely), wicks(unlikely), Morrow (unlikely).

James Williams will have to wait his turn, wait until Wicks graduates to enter a RB rotation of Harrington, Morrow, James Williams, once Wicks is gone.

Until then it's going to be Wicks, Harrington, Morrow, in the RB rotation, without James Williams.

Harrington, wicks, Morrow, has proven, earned their spots in the RB rotation this season.

Without them WSU would only have 3,4,5 wins, instead of 7,8,9 wins.

How many 33 to 43 yard TD type of runs from LOS(line of scrimmage), as a RB, from a hand off, has Harrington made, an or have to make, before it stops being speculated that Harrington, will be moved from RB, to WR, sheesh.

So far about 3,4,5 of them made.

How many have Wicks, Morrow made? 1 each, if that.

How many has James Williams, had? ZERO.

How many will James Williams have next year? .5 of 1, if that, at best?

How many more will Harrington have this year, over the next 3 games? 2,3?

What will the total be for Harrington? 6 to 9?

How many would Harrington have to have to keep his job, since what he has done is not enough to some?

10, 15, 20 30 to 40 yard TD runs from LOS, from hand off, to him as RB?

Sheesh, lol.

Yep Harrington going to be moved to WR, because obviously 4,5,6 30 to 40 yard TD runs from LOS hand offs as RB, and 6 yard per carry, not good enough to keep RB job, even tho it would be enough everywhere else, lol.

NOT.

It is enough to keep RB job, and therefore not going to be moved to WR.

Pretty easy to look up the stats, Mik. Harrington has 1 TD run all season...not 4, 5, or 6 30 to 40 yard TD runs from LOS hand offs as RB. He has 2 runs of more than 18 yards all season....a 32 yarder and a 36 yarder which was for his lone rushing TD on the year.

Sheesh, lol indeed.

I personally will just enjoy the success of this season and not worry too much right now about who will be at RB, WR, or any other position next season.

Glad Cougar

Pretty easy to look up the stats, Mik. Harrington has 1 TD run all season...not 4, 5, or 6 30 to 40 yard TD runs from LOS hand offs as RB. He has 2 runs of more than 18 yards all season....a 32 yarder and a 36 yarder which was for his lone rushing TD on the year.

Sheesh, lol indeed.

I personally will just enjoy the success of this season and not worry too much right now about who will be at RB, WR, or any other position next season.

Glad Cougar

I agree Glad. While we do speculate a little about next season and beyond. We do not need to argue it so vociferously because we don't know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT