ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Soccer

Beat me to it, kurt. The ewe scored first then our girls answered with three unanswered points. Lady Cougs showed a solid defense and an opportunistic offense. The uw had the better run of the play but the Cougs hung with them and turned back their challenges. Congratulations to them. Stanford won the conference title today. Postseason selections announced early next week.

Beat me to it, kurt. The ewe scored first then our girls answered with three unanswered points. Lady Cougs showed a solid defense and an opportunistic offense. The uw had the better run of the play but the Cougs hung with them and turned back their challenges. Congratulations to them. Stanford won the conference title today. Postseason selections announced early next week.

I watched it on TV as well. Love having the P12 Network. The uw did have a slightly better run of play, but they made a lot of mistakes near their own goal. The Cougars should have scored another goal as the Cougars missed a shot on an open net.

The Cougars were the better team and 3-1 showed that.

I expect a fairly high seed.

I would think that the Cougars finish in 4th place. Not bad for a team that was picked in 9th place in the preseason coaches poll. Stanford is undefeated in P12 play and have California at home. The Cougars have a half game lead over Cal with tonight's win. USC with Kidane McAlpine (former Cougar coach) is in second. Arizona hosts ASU. Arizona wins, they finish in 3rd, if not, the Cougars jump them for 3rd. Arizona is a better team than ASU.

Yes, forgot about the open net miss by Guetlien ( I think it was her, maybe not.) from about ten yards out. Fortunately, we didn't need it. No harm, no foul.

One thing I have liked immensely about this team is their feistiness. A bunch of Ozzie Alonzo types. Really aggressive in confrontational situations and fighting to regain possession of the ball. They are a real scrappy lot and must be a real pain in the rear to play against. The WSU media release noted that they are 8-0 when committing more fouls than the opponent. That is an interesting and telling fact that I was unaware of and speaks to what I am trying to say.

Suspect that kurt is right and we will receive a decent seeding. They certainly deserve it. Top third in the conference is a commendable accomplishment. We'll find out Monday afternoon.

With WSU's counterattacking style of play they invite the opponent to possess the ball. I'm not sure "run of play" applies. It is a term better used for two teams who try to play some version of possession based football. I don't know if our coach is a "direct football" man and we just got lucky, or he saw something when he watched Pac-12 game film, but what we do now has caused other Pac-12 teams fits. Particularly with our active forwards, who has scored consistently by abusing backs in transition. Regardless, can't help but be proud of the team as they have consistently risen to the occassion despite the coaching transitions and turmoil.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT