ADVERTISEMENT

Would have Ed Orgeron won at USC

yes he would have won big, but hes a blue collar guy with an accent, just not good enough for the smug socal aholes

ucla is the same way in basketball

Reactions: walzuu
Remember that old idiot who lost his mind when WSU beat SC in 17? Imagine the crap that would have come out of his mouth with Coach Os first loss. They don’t know a good thing when it hits them.

Reactions: ATACFD
Remember that old idiot who lost his mind when WSU beat SC in 17? Imagine the crap that would have come out of his mouth with Coach Os first loss. They don’t know a good thing when it hits them.
You're thinking of scglory aka glory-hole.
Good riddance to that pos...

Yes. He would have won big. He is one of the best recruiters ever. All those players that are leaving California to play in the SEC would have stayed home and played at USC. He is proving he can coach. Of course, the administration at USC has been a mess for a long time. I cannot remember if it was Haden or Swann that passed him over for Sarkisian.

Good article in the Athletic about Coach O and how intelligent his approach has been. He's viewed as a dumb DL coach and motivator/recruiter, largely because of his appearance and accent, but he's a smart guy who has figured out what went wrong in his first head coaching gig. He would have done well at USC, too, assuming he had that same mindset at the time.

Ed O deserves respect. He does the good ole' boy schtick better than anybody since Lou Holtz, and he makes it work so well for two reasons: he is sincere, and he is smart.

USC had him and threw him away. From my view here in SoCal, I think the main reason for this almost unbelievable error in judgment can be observed simply by listening to the video posted above by ATACFD from minute mark 6:00 to 7:00. That level of oblivious fantasy is common among long term, privileged Trojan alums. When it comes to head FB coaches, the alums talk the win talk, but what they walk is image, not performance. Too many of the old line SC fans have an emotional need to feel superior and rely on their team to deliver that validation. And of course, a HC has to look, sound and feel like a corporate executive who manages rather than leads a group of young men.

I have mixed emotions about this particular SC screw up. SC with Ed O would be a dominant program. More than that, it would probably be as clean a program as SC is capable of running (with all the rich alums, it would be impossible for SC to be completely clean, but with Ed they would probably get as close as they could). That would be tough for the rest of the teams in the league, but it would be good for the league's image. On balance, I don't think that the PAC benefits from incompetent SC athletic leadership. Who knows if the new AD will be competent? He has to be better than his immediate predecessors, but that is such a low bar, the new guy could simply step over it while walking...no giant leaps required.

Reactions: ATACFD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT