ADVERTISEMENT

WSU @ ASU GAME THREAD

can someone tell my why that receiver just stood there on that play? Literally, just stood there with his hands down; no route, no blocking.

Falk & Leach stop the bleeding, and that FG was HUGE at the end. And cougs get the ball to start the 3rd. Overall, the cougs are in pretty good shape

That was a big three points at the end of the half. Thought that Meyers was going all the way at first.
Cougs get the ball back to start the 2nd half and D. Brown is available.

Coug D is playing very well but I think they need an interception at some point in the 2nd half as ASU is getting confident on offense.

Great comments from the halftime crew back the Pac-12 TV headquarters. Didn't hear any praise or compliments for the Cougs. It was all about ASU mistakes and how they just sleepwalking out there. Alliotti adds nothing to the collective insight of that group...and New-weasel is, well a weasel.

Maybe, just maybe the Cougars' inspired play today has something to do with the score.

Got to hope that Mayle is okay in the second half, limping noticeably at the end of the half. It would be nice for the Cougs to get a turnover (and not commit another one), but when you are 2nd worst in the nation in # of turnovers gained, it's not likely.

Overall, very proud of the effort and most of the execution. At the very least, they are extremely competitive right now and still have a good shot of winning this one.

Glad Cougar

Originally posted by Glad Cougar:
Great comments from the halftime crew back the Pac-12 TV headquarters. Didn't hear any praise or compliments for the Cougs. It was all about ASU mistakes and how they just sleepwalking out there. Alliotti adds nothing to the collective insight of that group...and New-weasel is, well a weasel.

Maybe, just maybe the Cougars' inspired play today has something to do with the score.

Got to hope that Mayle is okay in the second half, limping noticeably at the end of the half. It would be nice for the Cougs to get a turnover (and not commit another one), but when you are 2nd worst in the nation in # of turnovers gained, it's not likely.

Overall, very proud of the effort and most of the execution. At the very least, they are extremely competitive right now and still have a good shot of winning this one.

Glad Cougar
Last time I checked, it was WSU with two picks that lead to 14 pts for ASU.

But yeah, ASU's mistakes.

Gawd, I hope we drop 40 on them in the 2nd half. (gotta hold them to 39 or less, though)

I think Falk's lack of history may have fooled ASU into thinking he was just some other first year guy. Yes, he has made some frosh mistakes, but for the most part he is not playing like it's his first year.

Well, somebody made halftime adjustments.

Unfortunately, it wasn't us.

Let's see if the D can rediscover their first quarter mojo.

Well that was disappointing.

Keep a guy back to pick up the blitz and the whole team misses where the extra guy is coming from. The way they can completely miss on the blitzes or stunts sometimes is a real head scratcher. I mean, 58 was right at the line showing blitz the whole way.

Every time Morrow has line up to falks right, he slid over to the blind side to pick things up
Asu saw that and he went to the blind side when the blitzer was coming to talks right

This might be the first game I've watched where we're still technically winning and it's actually unwatchable.

We fight so hard to get points, then we turn it over a bunch, and our secondary continually gives up huge, easy plays to get them to the goal line.

Just about freaking unwatchable, SMH

that long completion could be a backbreaker.....or not. I think it will reveal how the game plays out. Cougs are still in this but have to play like it.

Originally posted by chipdouglas:
This might be the first game I've watched where we're still technically winning and it's actually unwatchable.

We fight so hard to get points, then we turn it over a bunch, and our secondary continually gives up huge, easy plays to get them to the goal line.

Just about freaking unwatchable, SMH
What I don't get is the lack of situational awareness. It was like everyone in the stadium knew they were going to go deep on that play except for the secondary, who all bit so hard they might as well have just laid down.

I fear we are starting to see the effect of pressure on a young QB. Falk takes a few licks and suddenly those dimes we were seeing at OSU and early in this game are turning into overthrows and interceptions.

And again, our backs cannot get a single effing yard after contact. So frustrating. You can tackle them off balance and with one arm; it's like tackling a child. Put Mayle in the backfield so we can at least get 2 when we need it.

One lone bright spot is our rushing defense has been pretty dominant, and we're still periodically getting to Kelly. 46 yards on 23 carries for ASU.

Really hope we pull this one out--ASU has played REALLY poorly and it'd be a shame to give it up for that kind of crap performance.

Three turnovers by WSU to zero for ASU.
Cougs need to get one or perhaps two turnovers in the 4th to win this one.
Down by 7 early in the 4th as the defense holds them to a FG.

Did I just see the kicker do the Catholic "Sign of the Cross" there before the FG?
Maybe our d-backs should do that before each play on defense.

I fear we are starting to see the effect of pressure on a young QB. Falk takes a few licks and suddenly those dimes we were seeing at OSU and early in this game are turning into overthrows and interceptions.

And again, our backs cannot get a single effing yard after contact. So frustrating. You can tackle them off balance and with one arm; it's like tackling a child. Put Mayle in the backfield so we can at least get 2 when we need it.
LOL....Morrow looked like a strong child on that play at least. It would be nice to have a power back for those short yardage situations, but I think for a freshman, Morrow has done well. Don't forget his value as a receiver....he's broken Broussard's single season record for receptions by a RB.

Glad Cougar

SON OF A B.......!!!!!!

*breathe* *breathe* *young qb* *gonna take some time* *#16 team in the nation* *serenity now*

quick poll: both teams showing their true colors in the second half

-or-

one team makes half time adjustments and one (still) doesn't

Originally posted by BleedCrimsonandGray:
SON OF A B.......!!!!!!

*breathe* *breathe* *young qb* *gonna take some time* *#16 team in the nation* *serenity now*
Yep, there's a lot to like about Falk but he's learning what it's like to play against a good team today. If he stays healthy, he'll have a really good career at WSU.

Sure wish our team could GET turnovers instead of giving them up. 4 TOs = 28 points.

Glad Cougar

LOL....Morrow looked like a strong child on that play at least. It would be nice to have a power back for those short yardage situations, but I think for a freshman, Morrow has done well. Don't forget his value as a receiver....he's broken Broussard's single season record for receptions by a RB.

Glad Cougar
I don't question his value as a receiver.

If we pass 5 straight times, the first 5 rushing yards for our backs are free. That's a playcalling thing, not a "those backs are good" thing. In the instance you mention, he got maybe 7-8 before contact, and fought for 4-5 more.

I love it.

I'd also love it if it happened more than 1 time out of 10. More often than not, our tiny backs can't get back to the LOS, easily get blown up on lateral plays etc. I am CONSTANTLY seeing them get taken down with bad, one-armed tackles because they're so small.

Nobody is saying we can't have a tiny back or two on our roster, or that we're going to get a Todd Gurley type guy in Pullman--but give me a couple of 3-star guys north of 215 who you have to respect on short situations. If one of those guys turns into a solid bruiser and has a bunch of broken tackles and goal line TDs, there is nobody at WW who will say we need to get back to those 5'8" 175-pound RBs. I'm getting flashbacks of the Woof era here.

SON OF A B.......!!!!!!

Yep, there's a lot to like about Falk but he's learning what it's like to play against a good team today. If he stays healthy, he'll have a really good career at WSU.

Sure wish our team could GET turnovers instead of giving them up. 5 TOs = 35 points.

Glad Cougar
FTFY

-or-

Exactly what adjustments were to be made? ASU scored because of short fields from turnovers. They had 135 total offense in the first half. Why would you change?

The offense was also moving the ball and scoring. Why would you change?

Welp, I hate to say it but I think the Falk honeymoon is over after today.

6 sacks and 5 turnovers leading to 28 (could soon be 35) points. It's kind of insane but our D so far has really only given up 10 points on normal drives.

And the penalties are back.

5 to 0 in turnovers.
That is the ball game.
No team can overcome that.

Luke will learn from this game and it's best that it happened this year instead of early next year.
Need to get his confidence going for next week so one last drive in this game would really help.

ASU really turned it on in the 2nd half, Yes the Cougs gave them the chances but they capitalized on them.

45-24 ASU

Wow. Just wow.

35 points off of 5 Falk turnovers.

Not just bad, epic bad.

I'm not off the Falk bandwagon, but we appear to be seeing the same thing that has happened in football for decades: new QB burns it down in his first game(s), then regresses to the mean. And at WSU, regressing to the mean means turning it over ad nauseam.

Also, when was the last time we had a legit threat at KR/PR? We seem to do REALLY poorly on returns in terms of yardage. When was the last time we took one to the house in a conference game?

Welp, I hate to say it but I think the Falk honeymoon is over after today.

6 sacks and 5 turnovers leading to 28 (could soon be 35) points. It's kind of insane but our D so far has really only given up 10 points on normal drives.

And the penalties are back.
The defense played well today. ASU has an explosive offense that will put some points on the board. Most of them today were because of turnovers.

Falk will be fine and continue to get better. I expect him to do well in a victory against the uw next week. He is not better than Halliday, but in time he will be. Those who thought he was, were a little premature. Four interceptions and two fumbles (only one ASU recovered) is not a good day. It game ASU so many more extra possessions.

Glad Cougar
I don't question his value as a receiver.

If we pass 5 straight times, the first 5 rushing yards for our backs are free. That's a playcalling thing, not a "those backs are good" thing. In the instance you mention, he got maybe 7-8 before contact, and fought for 4-5 more.

I love it.

I'd also love it if it happened more than 1 time out of 10. More often than not, our tiny backs can't get back to the LOS, easily get blown up on lateral plays etc. I am CONSTANTLY seeing them get taken down with bad, one-armed tackles because they're so small.

Nobody is saying we can't have a tiny back or two on our roster, or that we're going to get a Todd Gurley type guy in Pullman--but give me a couple of 3-star guys north of 215 who you have to respect on short situations. If one of those guys turns into a solid bruiser and has a bunch of broken tackles and goal line TDs, there is nobody at WW who will say we need to get back to those 5'8" 175-pound RBs. I'm getting flashbacks of the Woof era here.
I don't think we disagree about the need to have bigger, stronger backs. I just don't think Morrow and Wicks are as weak as you describe. When they get caught for a loss or no gain, most often it's because our line has not created any openings for them, and with the RBs set so deep in the backfield in shotgun formation, they have a ways to go just to get to the line of scrimage. Our OL does not sustain blocks on running plays very well. Nonetheless, I'd love to have a Kerry Porter, Reuben Mayes, Jerome Harrison, etc....

Glad Cougar

Yeah, as the game wore on, he played more and more like a youngster. Chalk some of that to the ASU coaching, and some on him. Learning curve showed.

Also... 21 yards on the ground with 0.9 yards per rush.

Adjusted for sack yardage it's 2.5 YPC, despite getting spotted 5 yards on half our carries.

I think it has now been 12 years since we went into the Apple Cup with a winning record. Neat.

Adjusted for sack yardage it's 2.5 YPC, despite getting spotted 5 yards on half our carries.

I think it has now been 12 years since we went into the Apple Cup with a winning record. Neat.
It's actually been one year.

Originally posted by Coug1990:

-or-

Exactly what adjustments were to be made? ASU scored because of short fields from turnovers. They had 135 total offense in the first half. Why would you change?

The offense was also moving the ball and scoring. Why would you change?
Here we go again.

Is it possible to answer the question without challenging it? Not surprisingly, you always seem to get on your high horse when we are losing. Maybe you should buy a dog to kick, or a punching bag to hang in your garage instead of starting internet pissing matches.

To answer your question (not sure why I am doing this...), I didn't say to change the whole fvcking game plan. You make ADJUSTMENTS. Tweak things, anticipate that ASU is going to do things a little differently (which they did, to much effect.) Throw a new wrinkle in to keep them off balance.

But again, I'm dumb and you're smart. All hail 1990 and his gigantic e-pen.

Guess I'll see you guys tomorrow, cz. Dealing with this again isn't worth my time.

This post was edited on 11/22 1:32 PM by BleedCrimsonandGray

Todd Graham is a s---bag. Up 21 at home against one of the worst teams in the conference with time running out... and instead of running it out he's trying to blow the lead open by 28 through the air.

What a fat butch-haircutted troll.

Originally posted by wulffui:

It's actually been one year.
Nope. We were 6-6.

Going into the Apple Cup? No, 6-5. We finished 6-6 because we lost the Apple Cup.

If you want stats, it's a good time to be a receiver at WSU.

You're going to get a lot of yards to begin with, and you get to build on an extra 50% to your receiving totals because you spend about 1/3 of every game in garbage time.

Originally posted by wulffui:
Going into the Apple Cup? No, 6-5. We finished 6-6 because we lost the Apple Cup.
Ope. You're right on that. Well then, 1 year since that happened. 11 prior to that.

Let's enjoy it before it's too far back in the rear view, and look forward to not spending so much time looking into the rear view in the future.

Sigh.

ASU fans are booing us for trying to get more points in garbage time.

How about they start by booing their lesbian coach for trying to blow it open to 28 in a rout?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT