ADVERTISEMENT

X Cooper (could be) GONE

chinookpirate

Hall Of Fame
Jan 1, 2012
Says Rob Rang CBS Sports.

3 reasons, according to Rob given are:
1. He's already graduated. Congrats, Kid.

2.NFL has a dearth of D tackle seniors

3. He is shooting up draft boards, he'23 years old

This post was edited on 12/5 3:39 PM by Britton Ransford

X Cooper declares for draft

I assume that's the actual news, not that he's leaving to go to Central, like the original title implies. Good work graduating, that's excellent. Hopefully Monroe did the same, so he has more options for next year.

So, wait... is this just Rang saying he SHOULD declare?

This post was edited on 12/5 3:06 PM by wulffui

Re: X Cooper MAY decide to declare for the draft

Originally posted by wulffui:
I assume that's the actual news, not that he's leaving to go to Central, like the original title implies. Good work graduating, that's excellent. Hopefully Monroe did the same, so he has more options for next year.
I heard Rob Rang say it as well on KJR here in Seattle. Cooper has good size and is a good athlete. There are not many Defensive lineman in this years draft, so he could go higher than he normally might. He has already graduated and is 23. He just might go. We'll see.

Re: X Cooper GONE

I suggest you relabel your title, because it is incorrect. If you want to run and post whatever you hear in Pucket and Furness fine, but don't be misleading with your information. Until he announces his attentions, don't make false statements.

I also know that Monroe and Cooper are decent friends. Remember the banter the two had with the Pac 12 season Preview? Those two boys are funny, funny. Monroe even has a decent voice!

Wouldn't be surprised if the "plan" that's been outlined here for Cooper (graduated, just moving on), is what's going on with Monroe, just like Wuffui states.

Basically, neither are baling on WSU, they've graduated, they are ready to move on. That's it. That is a serious potential here… Because of lack of info. there seems to be an innuendo of either, CML is chasing them away (I even bit on that one) or they are running away. The other option is just this… They've graduated and ready to move on.

And I'll take it a step further, if Cooper declares for the draft and goes high, that's great for him, and it's disappointing if they don't get him next year as a building block of the DL. But it's a solid sign for the program that guys are capable of leaving the program early to go to the NFL rather than the Big Sky or Sun Belt.

it proves what I said, he's a high future NFL pick before it's all said and done... when we landed him in high school.

in my opinion, He's gone. I agree with Rang.

Originally posted by chinookpirate:

it proves what I said, he's a high future NFL pick before it's all said and done... when we landed him in high school.

And just when did you say so? And under what handle? If he's an NFL guy at this point, it smacks of desperation. He was a huge disappointment this past season.

This post was edited on 12/5 8:32 PM by YakiCoug

If he will go the first day of the draft, then he should go.

If not, he would be ahead to wait a year and try to improve his draft position.

Agents will lie to him, so he needs to find someone he trusts to give him an honest evaluation of his draft potential. I would hope that coach Joe would be one of the voices to whom he listens, since Joe is in a position to discuss what is required to succeed as a DT on Sundays, and would have at least a reasonable idea of how ready X is for that.

Originally posted by cr8zyncalif:
If he will go the first day of the draft, then he should go.

If not, he would be ahead to wait a year and try to improve his draft position.

Agents will lie to him, so he needs to find someone he trusts to give him an honest evaluation of his draft potential. I would hope that coach Joe would be one of the voices to whom he listens, since Joe is in a position to discuss what is required to succeed as a DT on Sundays, and would have at least a reasonable idea of how ready X is for that.
The evaluation will come from the NFL itself. Joe can be honest and tell him whether he has a chance to make it or not. But, it is much harder for him to know what NFL GM's and scouts are thinking. The NFL itself has scouts that try to tell a player where they think he most likely will be drafted. They try to be as honest as they can, as it does them no good if a player leaves before he is ready and doesn't make a team.

Rang said from what he has heard and scouted, Cooper is most likely a second day draft choice. If I remember correctly, that means he would be a 2nd or 3rd round choice.

Originally posted by YakiCoug:

And just when did you say so? And under what handle? If he's an NFL guy at this point, it smacks of desperation. He was a huge disappointment this past season.

This post was edited on 12/5 8:32 PM by YakiCoug
It has long been known that Cooper had talent. He had talent coming out of high school. Oregon liked him a lot and other big schools did too. However, since most schools did not think he would make it into school, they dropped him. The Cougars, knowing that he was very talented, stayed with him even though it was going to be a while before he could make it into school.

That is why he is a Cougar and why he is older.

NOBODY on this board gave Cooper credit and that goes for you, 1990.

Even this season he was trashed repeatedly by many even though Big Joe stood behind him.

Even this season he was trashed repeatedly by many even though Big Joe stood behind him.
Chinook, you are
rolleye0018.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Coug1990:

Chinook, you are
rolleye0018.r191677.gif

Nookie is an aPaulogist, but he is somewhat protected here, having survived a ban and then brought back to life.

Originally posted by Coug1990:

Chinook, you are
mad0013.r191677.gif
thrown in.
This post was edited on 12/6 1:06 AM by froropmkr72

Rang thought 3rd or 4th round at this point.

This post was edited on 12/6 1:42 AM by SaveFerris

Originally posted by SaveFerris:
Rang thought 3rd or 4th round at this point.
This post was edited on 12/6 1:42 AM by SaveFerris
Obviously, it's going to hurt not having him anchoring our D-line next year.. but 3-4 th round is a good spot for him. He has a degree in hand. He's done well for himself so far. I hope Cougar fans appreciate what he's done while he's here and join me in wishing the man luck.

you so funny when you drunk... and wrong... and get mad. ha. ha.

Remember Rien Long? Outland trophy winner, and what round was he picked in

? Cooper is pulling a Phillip Bobo.

Re: Remember Rien Long? Outland trophy winner, and what round was he picked in

Originally posted by CougEd:
? Cooper is pulling a Phillip Bobo.
I don't think so. Doba told me at the time. Scouts were begging Doba to talk with Bobo and explain he was likely to go undrafted. Doba spoke of a conference call he had with Eric Dickerson and HIS agent, they were advising him to stay. Bobo just ended up hiring a different agent, one they despised and that was that. To my knowledge, he never returned to school to finish his degree.

Cooper is listed as high at 8th overall DT which should make him a 3-4 rounder. In a DT talent depleted season, that means he's getting paid. If it doesn't work out, he has a degree, some cash in his pocket and no student loans... very, very few can claim such a successful college experience.

Cooper's listed size on the roster appears to be inaccurate. It indicates he's 6-4. He's likely 290 plus but anyone could see in games that he was no taller than ASU's Taylor Kelley (6-2) and was definitely shorter than Marcus Mariota (6-4). But there are a lot of "6-2" d-linemen in the NFL, but they're usually much heavier and stronger than Cooper is. If WSU can develop a dominant NT and LBs, Cooper will improve his stature, assuming he stays.

If X is 4th round or later, he should stay if he is the type that thinks long term. 3rd round is a toss up; he would probably net more money if he stays, but there is always the slight risk of a serious injury. 1st or 2nd round, he should go. Easy decision.

When a guy suggests 3rd or 4th round, that is just intriguing enough to cause a kid to lose focus. I hope X continues to go to class, at least until he makes up his mind. The alternative, practiced by many, is to get into partying and blow off school. Then he leaves himself no options regarding what to do later.

I honestly don't see him getting drafted this year. I mean the pac 12 had some good looking D Line this year and this is just the conference.

Needs another year of lifting and working on technique. More time at this level. Sorry CP....he's not ready yet. Let him make all-conference and then talk about how good he is.

you so funny when you drunk... and wrong... and get mad. ha. ha.
Who ha! But still could recall that Colorado, Missouri, Nebraska and Texas A&M were part of the Big12 for decades. Man, you must of been so redfaced
ashamed0007.r191677.gif
...you could light a fat cigar on it......whew!!

Chinook...he is costing himself tons of money...plus...

he showed glimpses...but he was not dominate. And I think he could be.

if he stay's he'll be a 24 year old sr in a very crowded draft.

He got his degree. He's going to accomplish something most Cougar linemen never do, get drafted and draw an NFL paycheck. With a degree. A college graduate. Drafted. Thru a coaching change followed by an atrocious coordinator so bad, he was fired... at WSU, that's rare.

Cooper is a success story. He should be celebrated not ridiculed. He needs to do what's best for his family... not Cougar fans. It's time to do what he's planned to do and succeeded in doing.

He got his degree. He's going to accomplish something most Cougar linemen never do, get drafted and draw an NFL paycheck. With a degree. A college graduate. Drafted. Thru a coaching change followed by an atrocious coordinator so bad, he was fired... at WSU, that's rare.

Cooper is a success story. He should be celebrated not ridiculed. He needs to do what's best for his family... not Cougar fans. It's time to do what he's planned to do and succeeded in doing.
No huskie fan could of ever said it better. Hey....I've got a good idea....jump on the UDump board and try to convince every draft eligible player to declare for the draft?? Oh, that's right.....you're one of them.

no need to get emotional, and go postal again, fro.

It's simple risk/reward.

X earned where he is. He owes you, nothing. Give it up.

Couple things. (1) I don't see anybody ridiculing Cooper in this thread (more of the opposite, actually) and (2) there is a big difference between PROJECTED to get drafted and actually getting drafted. You're post reads like it's a done deal that he'll get drafted, make one of the teams, and draw an NFL paycheck. There's nothing certain about the draft -- it's a fickle game and a lot can change between December and April. In my uneducated opinion, he is very similar to Rien Long in that he could greatly benefit if he came back for another year in terms of strength and polishing skills and techniques in prep for the next level. If his goal is simply some short term money and a shot at the NFL, I don't see anything wrong with going in this draft. If his goal is to make it long term in the NFL, I would hope he stays at Wazzu another year, goes into next years' draft a little stronger and better prepared, and remains healthy.

You didn't appreciate my joke about Bobo?

That would suck if he does go to the NFL but it's his choice and it would be smart for him to choose it if he can get positioned better this year compared to next year. I really think he did better last year compared to this year though, so I'd be surprised if he goes 3rd or 4th round if he does choose that route.

If he declares, X won't be drafted before the 5th-6th round. Just not enough pass rush for a 2nd or 3rd round prospect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT