ADVERTISEMENT

You all see this Miss Valley State Baseball ending?

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
Can you believe that strike 3 call? Ump has been suspended. Strike 2 was pretty bad, but strike 3 was nowhere near the plate. Did the batter bang the ump's daughter or what?

Edit - new link.....

Last edited:
The ump felt the batter showed him up on strike two with the jumping and theatrics. Ump was going to call strike three even if the pitch ended up in the 3rd row of the bleachers. No excuse for the ump's behavior and vindictiveness, I'm glad he was suspended. Maybe needs a new line of work.

Glad Cougar

Holy cow!
Reminds me of some of the umps we had back in the old Mid Valley League back in the 70's...

Where's Suudy when you need him?

That was pretty insane, but the guy probably wouldn't have been suspended if the game wasn't filmed. My rule was to never show up an ump (many of which were in the Mid-Valley League, btw) for that exact reason. Saw less extreme versions of that kind of thing more than once.

Not excusing the ump, but why is that kid having a tantrum with practically no chance of winning the game? I understand being frustrated, but you gotta know something bad is going to happen if you show up the ump like that. Could the ump just have tossed him instead of ringing him up?

Not excusing the ump, but why is that kid having a tantrum with practically no chance of winning the game? I understand being frustrated, but you gotta know something bad is going to happen if you show up the ump like that. Could the ump just have tossed him instead of ringing him up?
Yea I was surprised the ump after the called 2nd strike didn't get in the kids face after the jumping up and down.

Just like players gotta keep their cool so do refs/umps. Fair that player probably shoulda kept his head but to your point…toss him. What the ump did is completely unprofessional and against the spirit of competition. Refs and umps have bad games. That’s fine. Can never get to the level of being personal. Clearly this was. Unnacceptable and I’d be fine with that guy never getting a game again.

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Can you believe that strike 3 call? Ump has been suspended. Strike 2 was pretty bad, but strike 3 was nowhere near the plate. Did the batter bang the ump's daughter or what?

Edit - new link.....

Saw that a couple days ago. Loved the announcer’s call, he clearly couldn’t believe it.
‘The ump just wanted to go home’

Reactions: cr8zyncalif
Just like players gotta keep their cool so do refs/umps. Fair that player probably shoulda kept his head but to your point…toss him. What the ump did is completely unprofessional and against the spirit of competition. Refs and umps have bad games. That’s fine. Can never get to the level of being personal. Clearly this was. Unnacceptable and I’d be fine with that guy never getting a game again.
Unfortunately, CB Bucknor still having a job after 25 years of being comically bad (and an arrogant asshole, too), suggests this guy probably will remain in the game. CB has been protected by the union, though, and another ump who almost is as terrible, Angel Hernandez, tried to sue MLB for purported discrimination. Not due to getting fired, but due to not getting assigned to the World Series or being promoted to crew chief despite being terrible.

I could post dozens of links.

Pretty sure I started by saying "not excusing the ump.". As ball players are want to say, him calling that strike was bush league.

The ump felt the batter showed him up on strike two with the jumping and theatrics. Ump was going to call strike three even if the pitch ended up in the 3rd row of the bleachers. No excuse for the ump's behavior and vindictiveness, I'm glad he was suspended. Maybe needs a new line of work.

Glad Cougar
Looked like a curve strike to me ha ha

No purpose for umps to be calling it anymore. Baseball would be the easiest sport to use computers/scans/radars and call TRUE balls & strikes

Reactions: KRUSTYtheCOUG
No purpose for umps to be calling it anymore. Baseball would be the easiest sport to use computers/scans/radars and call TRUE balls & strikes
100% agree. If there’s one sport the officials try way too hard to be a part of the show it’s baseball. Have them back there to “call” the pitches which are electronically decided. They still need to be at the plate for foul tips, check swings, plays at the plate, etc.

Strike two was close enough to not complain about. No one argues with that if the batter doesn't act like a clown. Ump probably should of tossed him but decided just to ring him up on the next pitch and get off the field. Player walking after the ump with a bat in hand was classy.

One of my biggest complaints about baseballs emphasis on statistics is the obsession over balls and strikes. Baseball's rules have always been subject to the umps judgement. Does he think a pitch is a strike. Now players throw tantrums because they a pitch was 1/2 a cm off the plate and how dare the ump call a strike against them. Should the ump have called strike 3 on the next pitch? Probably not. Should anyone be surprised? Absolutely not. Especially on a call to end the game. Do you toss the kid, watch him blow a gasket and scream/holler, have his manager get his two cents in, run the manager. And get back to the game 5-10 minutes later (which interrupts the pitchers momentum) or do you just call the next pitch strike three and go home? His real mistake was not waiting for the next pitch that was close.

I don't have the context of the full game either. Was strike 2 getting consistently called all game? Had his team been acting out all game? Was the umps zone consistent for both teams.

Strike two was close enough to not complain about. No one argues with that if the batter doesn't act like a clown. Ump probably should of tossed him but decided just to ring him up on the next pitch and get off the field. Player walking after the ump with a bat in hand was classy.

One of my biggest complaints about baseballs emphasis on statistics is the obsession over balls and strikes. Baseball's rules have always been subject to the umps judgement. Does he think a pitch is a strike. Now players throw tantrums because they a pitch was 1/2 a cm off the plate and how dare the ump call a strike against them. Should the ump have called strike 3 on the next pitch? Probably not. Should anyone be surprised? Absolutely not. Especially on a call to end the game. Do you toss the kid, watch him blow a gasket and scream/holler, have his manager get his two cents in, run the manager. And get back to the game 5-10 minutes later (which interrupts the pitchers momentum) or do you just call the next pitch strike three and go home? His real mistake was not waiting for the next pitch that was close.

I don't have the context of the full game either. Was strike 2 getting consistently called all game? Had his team been acting out all game? Was the umps zone consistent for both teams.
No and no. Strike 2 was not a strike. Not even close. Strike 3 was so far low and outside it was a joke call. This coming from a guy who was a pitcher back in the day. That ump will never call another game, ever.

Reactions: Flatlandcoug
Get rid of bad umps, yes. But do not remove the human element from amateur baseball

Last edited:
Saw that a couple days ago. Loved the announcer’s call, he clearly couldn’t believe it.
‘The ump just wanted to go home’
Reminds me of a basketball game that I coached involving 8th grade boys and a ref who refused to call any fouls in the last 2 minutes despite a series of egregious hacking, clawing, pounding (one of our players got slapped side of the head on a layup, no call). I called a timeout to "consult" with the ref and he was extremely annoyed that I had stopped the game. When I commented that I thought somebody was going to get hurt with all the physical play being allowed, he actually told me that he wanted to get the game over with because there was a TV show he didn't want to miss.

Of course, reporting his response and behavior did not result in any action by the youth league.

Glad Cougar

The percentage of fully competent umps is probably just a tiny bit higher than the percentage of fully competent individuals in any vocation or avocation. In other words, probably not more than 15-25%.

The bottom 5-10% of the barrel in any profession or recreational activity is really low. CB is simply an example of the very bottom that exists among every profession...doctors, lawyers, plumbers, electricians...you name it.

What separates some professions from others is the fact that the bottom are protected in some arenas and are able to continue to inflict harm. Doctors, lawyers and MLB umpires are clearly in this group. Most groups of tradespeople do not have that luxury, along with people running restaurants, almost any small businessperson and other examples that will occur to you after some thought.

Unions as a group have a place and exist for a reason. But when they decide to institutionally protect the incompetent, they weaken themselves. Unfortunately, some union leaders do not recognize that, and the MLB officials clearly are in that group. Other unions do a good job of policing themselves (perhaps a poor choice of words; too many police unions do not themselves fall into that category).

Unions as a group have a place and exist for a reason. But when they decide to institutionally protect the incompetent, they weaken themselves. Unfortunately, some union leaders do not recognize that, and the MLB officials clearly are in that group. Other unions do a good job of policing themselves (perhaps a poor choice of words; too many police unions do not themselves fall into that category).
Oh, they recognize it. They just don't want to reduce their coffers by getting rid of the bad apples and their union dues.

I can't thank you enough for that, Coug90. Haven't laughed out loud like that in a while. Ah, the good old days.

The percentage of fully competent umps is probably just a tiny bit higher than the percentage of fully competent individuals in any vocation or avocation. In other words, probably not more than 15-25%.

The bottom 5-10% of the barrel in any profession or recreational activity is really low. CB is simply an example of the very bottom that exists among every profession...doctors, lawyers, plumbers, electricians...you name it.

What separates some professions from others is the fact that the bottom are protected in some arenas and are able to continue to inflict harm. Doctors, lawyers and MLB umpires are clearly in this group. Most groups of tradespeople do not have that luxury, along with people running restaurants, almost any small businessperson and other examples that will occur to you after some thought.

You can add professors with tenure to that group. The tenure system rewards a couple of years of decent work by allowing you to do nothing for the rest of your career.

You can add professors with tenure to that group. The tenure system rewards a couple of years of decent work by allowing you to do nothing for the rest of your career.
Sounds like a union job, especially a government union job.......

Both of those were terrible calls and there's no point in arguing about that. The league has already come out and said that the umpire was in the wrong on the calls.

The batter was out of line for jumping around like a fool on the called second strike. A look back at the ump with a "WTF?" kind of look would have been warranted. I don't fault the kid for his actions after the third strike. The ump was a total dickhead and doesn't deserve to call a game for the rest of this season for sure.

Reactions: M-I-Coug
I talked with a co-worker of mine who works as a referee for high school and D3 college games. His response was "Umps are human too". He feels like its appropriate to discipline the ump but making life changing decisions based on one call is too much.

I talked with a co-worker of mine who works as a referee for high school and D3 college games. His response was "Umps are human too". He feels like its appropriate to discipline the ump but making life changing decisions based on one call is too much.
Well I doubt that being a college BB ump is this guy's day job, so I don't know that I would call it life changing if he is banned.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT