ADVERTISEMENT

Your Week 1 Predictions?

chipdouglas

Hall Of Fame
Mar 16, 2005
In order of Big Games:
  1. #11 Oregon vs #3 Georgia (Atlanta, GA)
    • Oregon got UGA's excellent DC, and streaky Auburn QB Bo Nix, having retained some key talent. UGA replaces a championship DC, and their starters were wiped out by the draft - but they're still heavy favorites (-17). As a grad of both WSU & UGA, I'm hoping UGA beats the brakes off of Oregon (like they did with Michigan) so badly they just shut down the whole football program.
  2. #7 Utah at Florida (Gainesville, FL)
    • Florida is coming off a disastrous (for them) 2021-22 season, but always recruits well, and it's in the Swamp. Utah (-3) is like vintage Fresno State - they'll fight anyone, anytime, anywhere - and would love an SEC scalp on the road, including to Urban Meyer's old squad
  3. TCU at Colorado (Boulder, CO)
    1. TCU's only quality win last year was a 2pt home nailbiter vs Baylor, but bettors think even less of CU in Boulder (+14)
  4. Boise State at OSU (Corvallis, OR)
    • No surprise to see the close line (Beavs -3) at home vs BSU. Both teams had respectable 2021s with a mixture of weird wins and weird losses
  5. Idaho at WSU (Pullman, WA)
    • Couldn't find a line yet, but no surprise to see most expecting a 4+ TD spread. Cougs always capable of getting upset early, but don't think that's happening with Idaho
  6. Kent State at Washington (Seattle, WA)
    • Huskies favored by 23 in Seattle in this classic tune-up / bodybag game. Here's hoping it ends up being a tuneup for Kent State.

Less notable contests: NAU @ ASU, Bowling Green @UCLA, Arizona @ SDSU (why?), UC Davis @ Cal, Rice @ #14 USC, and Colgate @ Stanford

Predictions?

Reactions: justinbgocougs
In order of Big Games:
  1. #11 Oregon vs #3 Georgia (Atlanta, GA)
    • Oregon got UGA's excellent DC, and streaky Auburn QB Bo Nix, having retained some key talent. UGA replaces a championship DC, and their starters were wiped out by the draft - but they're still heavy favorites (-17). As a grad of both WSU & UGA, I'm hoping UGA beats the brakes off of Oregon (like they did with Michigan) so badly they just shut down the whole football program.
  2. #7 Utah at Florida (Gainesville, FL)
    • Florida is coming off a disastrous (for them) 2021-22 season, but always recruits well, and it's in the Swamp. Utah (-3) is like vintage Fresno State - they'll fight anyone, anytime, anywhere - and would love an SEC scalp on the road, including to Urban Meyer's old squad
  3. TCU at Colorado (Boulder, CO)
    1. TCU's only quality win last year was a 2pt home nailbiter vs Baylor, but bettors think even less of CU in Boulder (+14)
  4. Boise State at OSU (Corvallis, OR)
    • No surprise to see the close line (Beavs -3) at home vs BSU. Both teams had respectable 2021s with a mixture of weird wins and weird losses
  5. Idaho at WSU (Pullman, WA)
    • Couldn't find a line yet, but no surprise to see most expecting a 4+ TD spread. Cougs always capable of getting upset early, but don't think that's happening with Idaho
  6. Kent State at Washington (Seattle, WA)
    • Huskies favored by 23 in Seattle in this classic tune-up / bodybag game. Here's hoping it ends up being a tuneup for Kent State.

Less notable contests: NAU @ ASU, Bowling Green @UCLA, Arizona @ SDSU (why?), UC Davis @ Cal, Rice @ #14 USC, and Colgate @ Stanford

Predictions?
GA - 27-16
FL - 24-20
TCU -19-16
OSU- 31-24
WSU- 48-13
UW- 41-6

Coug90's predictions look good to me. From a betting perspective, I like CU at +14. That's a lot of points to give up to a road team that isn't that good itself and is rolling out its first game in an Air Raid system.

I expect the Ducks to put up a good fight against UGA early before getting worn down late. It wouldn't surprise me to see them pull the upset. UGA 34 UO 24

Utah at Florida is another tough call. I think Utah will hang tough and possibly with the game, but I'm going with Florida here. Last year's 6-7 season masks the prior year where Florida won the SEC East and went to a Cotton Bowl. They're always tough in the Swamp, particularly in the high humidity. I think that'll be what does in Utah. Florida 27 Utah 21

I typically love home underdogs, but Colorado lost 22 (TWENTY TWO) players to transfer in the winter, including their top 6 defensive players and 6 of Karl Dorrell's coaches. Sonny Dykes is bringing his frog-raid to TCU where they return their top-4 WRs. This betting line looked like easy money at first glance, but I've grown to be suspicious about that stuff. Colorado had the worst offense in the Nation last season, and they have to face one of the best offensive coaches in Dykes on the heels of a rough offseason. No sure things in openers, but I think TCU will outscore the Buffs. TCU 41 CU 24

I'm picking Oregon St to beat Boise St, but it's not easy for me to do so. I think these are two programs with reputations that cloud this matchup. By that I mean betters are assuming Boise is good and OSU is bad. I believe Boise St is on the decline and Oregon State is on the rise. OSU 34 Boise St 24

UW has to be better this season. New coach, new QB. They're at home, so I'll pick them on that basis, but Kent St is a good MAC program. They won their division last season and are picked highly again this year, so the 23 point spread is a tough one. UW 45 Kent St 30

I typically try to employ the reverse jinx when I pick WSU games, but I can't bring myself to that in this one. Idaho is really small up front defensively, but I'm not sure if we have the running game to take advantage of that. Oregon State and Indiana both beat them down last year, but Idaho did play well down the stretch against the top Big Sky teams. The Vandals will come out with their hair on fire, and if we bumble and stumble like we do just about every season early on, it could be competitive. Still, I have a hard time seeing it. WSU 48 Idaho 20

Reactions: Coug90
I typically love home underdogs, but Colorado lost 22 (TWENTY TWO) players to transfer in the winter, including their top 6 defensive players and 6 of Karl Dorrell's coaches. Sonny Dykes is bringing his frog-raid to TCU where they return their top-4 WRs. This betting line looked like easy money at first glance, but I've grown to be suspicious about that stuff. Colorado had the worst offense in the Nation last season, and they have to face one of the best offensive coaches in Dykes on the heels of a rough offseason.
I didn't know any of this about CU, that is wild

I expect the Ducks to put up a good fight against UGA early before getting worn down late. It wouldn't surprise me to see them pull the upset. UGA 34 UO 24

Utah at Florida is another tough call. I think Utah will hang tough and possibly with the game, but I'm going with Florida here. Last year's 6-7 season masks the prior year where Florida won the SEC East and went to a Cotton Bowl. They're always tough in the Swamp, particularly in the high humidity. I think that'll be what does in Utah. Florida 27 Utah 21

I typically love home underdogs, but Colorado lost 22 (TWENTY TWO) players to transfer in the winter, including their top 6 defensive players and 6 of Karl Dorrell's coaches. Sonny Dykes is bringing his frog-raid to TCU where they return their top-4 WRs. This betting line looked like easy money at first glance, but I've grown to be suspicious about that stuff. Colorado had the worst offense in the Nation last season, and they have to face one of the best offensive coaches in Dykes on the heels of a rough offseason. No sure things in openers, but I think TCU will outscore the Buffs. TCU 41 CU 24

I'm picking Oregon St to beat Boise St, but it's not easy for me to do so. I think these are two programs with reputations that cloud this matchup. By that I mean betters are assuming Boise is good and OSU is bad. I believe Boise St is on the decline and Oregon State is on the rise. OSU 34 Boise St 24

UW has to be better this season. New coach, new QB. They're at home, so I'll pick them on that basis, but Kent St is a good MAC program. They won their division last season and are picked highly again this year, so the 23 point spread is a tough one. UW 45 Kent St 30

I typically try to employ the reverse jinx when I pick WSU games, but I can't bring myself to that in this one. Idaho is really small up front defensively, but I'm not sure if we have the running game to take advantage of that. Oregon State and Indiana both beat them down last year, but Idaho did play well down the stretch against the top Big Sky teams. The Vandals will come out with their hair on fire, and if we bumble and stumble like we do just about every season early on, it could be competitive. Still, I have a hard time seeing it. WSU 48 Idaho 20
God give me Montana 2.0. How F’in glorious would that be?! Had no idea Kent State was that formidable.

Reactions: froropmkr72
God give me Montana 2.0. How F’in glorious would that be?! Had no idea Kent State was that formidable.
I don't know if they're formidable, but they're not unfamiliar with playing big schools on the road. They had Texas A&M and Iowa last year, and this year their first 3 road games are at UW, at Oklahoma, and at Georgia.

UW will be fired up in their 1st game with a new coach. I'd be surprised if they didn't win.

OK, since you asked:

Georgia 38, UO 24
Utah 28, Florida 21
TCU 31, Colorado 21
OSU 24, BSU 17
WSU 38, Idaho 17
UW 35, Kent State 21
From the "of notes", SDSU over Arizona by a TD in San Diego and Cal only escapes Davis by 14 points. For those of you who don't know, Cal's relationship with Davis is roughly analogous with WSU's relationship with Idaho.

OK, since you asked:

Georgia 38, UO 24
Utah 28, Florida 21
TCU 31, Colorado 21
OSU 24, BSU 17
WSU 38, Idaho 17
UW 35, Kent State 21
From the "of notes", SDSU over Arizona by a TD in San Diego and Cal only escapes Davis by 14 points. For those of you who don't know, Cal's relationship with Davis is roughly analogous with WSU's relationship with Idaho.
Probably shouldn't do this, since I haven't been following other teams that closely, but...

Georgia lost a ton on defense, a lot of it in the first round. Oregon leads early, but Georgia and the humidity pound away. UGA 32 UO 17

Utah has a habit of reloading on D, and recently Florida has a habit of being mediocre. Humidity and the Swamp are factors, but they're not enough. Utah 27 Florida 17

Colorado is getting better, but they're still bad. TCU 31 CU 13

OSU is improving. BSU is fading. Beavs 28 Broncs 17

Tough to pick this one with a new offense and a new QB. Lots of things could go wrong. But Idaho is undersized, in a new system, and, well...Idaho. WSU 48 UI 13

I'm waiting for the Sunday headline: Penix takes Golden Flashes. But it's not going to be easy. UW 20 KSU 17

SDSU 34 UA 24
Cal 27 UCD 6
USC 51 Rice 10
ASU 42 NAU 9
UCLA 38 Bowling Green 15
Stanford 44 Colgate 3

Reactions: ATACFD and Coug90
Probably shouldn't do this, since I haven't been following other teams that closely, but...

Georgia lost a ton on defense, a lot of it in the first round. Oregon leads early, but Georgia and the humidity pound away. UGA 32 UO 17

Utah has a habit of reloading on D, and recently Florida has a habit of being mediocre. Humidity and the Swamp are factors, but they're not enough. Utah 27 Florida 17

Colorado is getting better, but they're still bad. TCU 31 CU 13

OSU is improving. BSU is fading. Beavs 28 Broncs 17

Tough to pick this one with a new offense and a new QB. Lots of things could go wrong. But Idaho is undersized, in a new system, and, well...Idaho. WSU 48 UI 13

I'm waiting for the Sunday headline: Penix takes Golden Flashes. But it's not going to be easy. UW 20 KSU 17

SDSU 34 UA 24
Cal 27 UCD 6
USC 51 Rice 10
ASU 42 NAU 9
UCLA 38 Bowling Green 15
Stanford 44 Colgate 3
Hoping some golden showers rain down on penix Saturday.

Do the huskies play USC this year? I want to see that headline:

“Trojans crush Penix”
Maybe USC gets a lot of sacks. Would love this one: "Trojans all over Penix".

Or what if USC really s*cks? Would the headline read "Trojans s*ck Penix"?

Maybe USC gets a lot of sacks. Would love this one: "Trojans all over Penix".

Or what if USC really s*cks? Would the headline read "Trojans s*ck Penix"?
How about when they play Oregon State?

Penix plows Beavers?

Beavers devour Penix?

Penix explodes while Trojans offer no protection.

Penix's release is too quick for the Beavers defense.

Not posting this to boast about my Colorado prediction, but the Buffs getting boat raced at home is an ominous start to the season; for them and the P12.

Posting late right before game time.....only have time to say:
WSU 24 Idaho 6. Offense has trouble at first (as I mentioned in another thread earlier).
Kent State 23- University of Academically Prowessed Penixes 21

Reactions: VandalBasher
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT