ADVERTISEMENT

2017 schedule

CougPatrol

Hall Of Fame
Dec 8, 2006
I was looking at our future schedules today, and 2017 caught my eye. We're scheduled to start the year with 3 consecutive home games.

9/2 vs. Nevada
9/9 vs. Boise St.
9/16 vs. Montana St.

Looks like a Seattle game vs. Boise St. is in order. No way do we play 3 straight September games in Pullman.

So many rabid Montana State alums in the Seattle metro area. Thousands. I would play them in Seattle.

Interesting scenario. I am not opposed to a Seattle game under certain circumstances. Power5 team, home and home, students not on campus, rare occasions. Not too sure that Montana State or Boise State would fulfill enough of the requirements to mandate the move. Seattle is a wee bit further from Idaho and Montana than Pullman. Moving the game further away from the visiting team's fan base is a problem and seems dubious to me.

Why not three home games in Martin prior to the conference schedule? My understanding is that we are getting away from the body bag games and going for three relative creampuffs or at least two of them and a semi-respectable mid-major. With this type of OOC schedule many years will present a similar situation. Do we want to revive the Seattle game under these circumstances? Cupcakes and mid-majors in the Clink? No, thank you, and I live within five miles of the Clink. With good weather and a bit of effort I could walk to the game and even I don't want it. Raising this question made me think about BYU as a possibility. Seattle is not exactly a hotbed of Mormonism but I suspect there are enough of that sect in the vicinity to make a decent ticket sale. Folks moving west during the depression of the 1930s seemed to do so horizontally. Minnesotans and Nebraskans to the Northwest; lots of Oklahomans in California. Maybe a game with an upper Midwest team would make financial sense. Montana State or Boise State? I don't think so.

Why not three home games in Martin prior to the conference schedule?

• Because nobody will attend the Nevada or Montana State game.

• Because 3 consecutive Pullman games dilutes the home season.

• Because, in this rare instance, a Seattle game makes sense. It'll have been a while since we've played there, and we would draw 50K+ fans.

I'm not saying it's a good thing or a bad thing, but I'd wager that it's going to happen.

I'd rarjer
  • Because nobody will attend the Nevada or Montana State game.
  • Because 3 consecutive Pullman games dilutes the home season.

• Because, in this rare instance, a Seattle game makes sense. It'll have been a while since we've played there, and we would draw 50K+ fans.

I'm not saying it's a good thing or a bad thing, but I'd wager that it's going to happen.

##As a season ticket holder, I'd rather see the Nevada game go to Seattle if we are going to lose one in Pullman. Half the students will be in Seattle regardless and Nevada should be a decent draw and I can spend the weekend at the lake.

I was looking at our future schedules today, and 2017 caught my eye. We're scheduled to start the year with 3 consecutive home games.

9/2 vs. Nevada
9/9 vs. Boise St.
9/16 vs. Montana St.

Looks like a Seattle game vs. Boise St. is in order. No way do we play 3 straight September games in Pullman.

If we surrender the Boise State game to Seattle, then we will never again be able to get anyone of note to play us in Pullman. That would be an epic mistake.

But no worries, as Moos has said on numerous occasions that he wants 7 home games in Pullman. The chances of a Seattle game are practically zero.

But no worries, as Moos has said on numerous occasions that he wants 7 home games in Pullman. The chances of a Seattle game are practically zero.

Completely disagree. One of 2017 is getting moved to Seattle. The suggestion of moving the Nevada game on Labor Day is a valid one; particularly since it's the season opener and we'd be able to play it on a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday for TV.

Completely disagree. One of 2017 is getting moved to Seattle. The suggestion of moving the Nevada game on Labor Day is a valid one; particularly since it's the season opener and we'd be able to play it on a Thursday, Friday, or Saturday for TV.

You disagree that Bill Moos has said no more Seattle games or that he wants 7 Pullman games?

Ok.....

It's all about $, Moos has said no more Seattle games, and I believe him. However, if ESPN offers a lot of money for some football kickoff weekend and says it has to be in Seattle, there will be another Seattle game.

It's all about $, Moos has said no more Seattle games, and I believe him. However, if ESPN offers a lot of money for some football kickoff weekend and says it has to be in Seattle, there will be another Seattle game.

Anyone who allows ESPN to dictate the location of our home games should be fired immediately.

Play as many games at home as you can. It tilts the scales in your favor. You have a larger roster to choose from and you don't have to travel. WSU needs wins and bowls right now. Take a page from the SEC and schedule 8 home games per year if you can.

How about growing your fan base so that not EVERY fan has to go to EVERY game.

Reactions: wulffui
Biggs, You bring up what I think is the answer to growing the fan base, you can't make it to every game when you have to drive 3-5 hours one way to see a game. So many people don't make the effort to buy season tickets, and many people like myself have found a way to split tickets with friends which makes it more affordable and less tickets go unused. I have had many people say, "which I would find someone to split mine with" And I believe the athletic department should do more to promote "ticket sharing" get groups of people together, work an add campaign around it.

The key is not getting the same 35,000 to show up each week, the key is having 100,000+ that make at least one or two games a year. Hopefully 20,000 seats are spoken for each game between students and local regulars, it's finding a creative way to fill up the other 15K and hopefully 25,-30,000 in the future.

Biggs, You bring up what I think is the answer to growing the fan base, you can't make it to every game when you have to drive 3-5 hours one way to see a game. So many people don't make the effort to buy season tickets, and many people like myself have found a way to split tickets with friends which makes it more affordable and less tickets go unused. I have had many people say, "which I would find someone to split mine with" And I believe the athletic department should do more to promote "ticket sharing" get groups of people together, work an add campaign around it.

The key is not getting the same 35,000 to show up each week, the key is having 100,000+ that make at least one or two games a year. Hopefully 20,000 seats are spoken for each game between students and local regulars, it's finding a creative way to fill up the other 15K and hopefully 25,-30,000 in the future.

The ticket office offers 3 game mini plans. Season ticket holder benefits without the full commitment.

So wishful thinking on your part. Got it.

I'm a season ticket holder and Beasley RV pass holder, so the location of the game doesn't matter to me too much; however there's no way in Hell that I will attend 3 consecutive Pullman games.

Play as many games at home as you can. It tilts the scales in your favor. You have a larger roster to choose from and you don't have to travel. WSU needs wins and bowls right now. Take a page from the SEC and schedule 8 home games per year if you can.

How about growing your fan base so that not EVERY fan has to go to EVERY game.

Good point.

If Moos moves Nevada or Boise to Seattle, may as well chalk up Nevada or Boise as a loss that year.

I'm a season ticket holder and Beasley RV pass holder, so the location of the game doesn't matter to me too much; however there's no way in Hell that I will attend 3 consecutive Pullman games.

Even if they win them all?

Move Nevada to Seattle, keep Boise St in Pullman. For whatever reason that makes the most sense to me.

3 game mini plan, while a good idea, does not give you as good of seat selection or preferred parking. I am not talking cheap seats, I am talking donor seats that go for about 1000 each, great seats, great parking just a better experience.

3 game mini plan, while a good idea, does not give you as good of seat selection or preferred parking. I am not talking cheap seats, I am talking donor seats that go for about 1000 each, great seats, great parking just a better experience.

So you want all of the perks without any of the associated cost? Sounds pretty typical of your average WSU fan.

Reactions: MikeFingLeach
Move Nevada to Seattle, keep Boise St in Pullman. For whatever reason that makes the most sense to me.

If a game is moved, Nevada makes the most sense, only because its on Labor day weekend.
But based on the Cougs record at the Clink, I hope all three games stay in Pullman.

If a game is moved, Nevada makes the most sense, only because its on Labor day weekend.
But based on the Cougs record at the Clink, I hope all three games stay in Pullman.
Is it really different than the Cougars record at Martin Stadium?

Spending $60M on stadium upgrades and an operations building, only to move your games across the state, makes no sense to me.

I hear your point, and if we had a fan base that actually filled the stadium even twice a season, I'd give it more weight. The bottom line for me has always been that Pullman has NEVER supported 4 home games a year, let alone 7. I'd rather the University put on a handful of well thought out, party atmosphere "events" as opposed to consecutive home games that lack fans or excitement.

Let's keep in mind that there are bigger programs than WSU that play off campus, or even out of region, games. Here are some of the 2015 neutral site or off campus home games.

Colorado vs. Colorado State (Denver)
Notre Dame vs. Boston College (Fenway Park, Boston)
North Carolina vs. South Carolina (Bank of America Stadium)
Arkansas vs. Texas A&M (AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX) **Conference game**
Oklahoma vs. Texas (Cotton Bowl) **Conference Game**
Florida vs. Georgia (Jacksonville, FL) **Conference Game**
Auburn vs. Louisville (Georgia Dome)
Arizona State vs. Texas A&M (Houston, TX)
Alabama vs. Wisconsin (AT&T Stadium)

Can we also consider that a big reason why some of the Seattle games were duds is because WSU doesn't have the slightest clue how to put on an event? Forget the past experience with the Seattle game. Why can't WSU figure out how to sell 50K tickets and put on a Hell of a tail gaiting event once every few years at Seahawk Stadium?

Labor Day in Seattle vs. Nevada or the following week vs. Boise State in Seattle *should* be relatively easy to market.

Reactions: MikeFingLeach
I hear your point, and if we had a fan base that actually filled the stadium even twice a season, I'd give it more weight. The bottom line for me has always been that Pullman has NEVER supported 4 home games a year, let alone 7. I'd rather the University put on a handful of well thought out, party atmosphere "events" as opposed to consecutive home games that lack fans or excitement.

Let's keep in mind that there are bigger programs than WSU that play off campus, or even out of region, games. Here are some of the 2015 neutral site or off campus home games.

Colorado vs. Colorado State (Denver)
Notre Dame vs. Boston College (Fenway Park, Boston)
North Carolina vs. South Carolina (Bank of America Stadium)
Arkansas vs. Texas A&M (AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX) **Conference game**
Oklahoma vs. Texas (Cotton Bowl) **Conference Game**
Florida vs. Georgia (Jacksonville, FL) **Conference Game**
Auburn vs. Louisville (Georgia Dome)
Arizona State vs. Texas A&M (Houston, TX)
Alabama vs. Wisconsin (AT&T Stadium)

Can we also consider that a big reason why some of the Seattle games were duds is because WSU doesn't have the slightest clue how to put on an event? Forget the past experience with the Seattle game. Why can't WSU figure out how to sell 50K tickets and put on a Hell of a tail gaiting event once every few years at Seahawk Stadium?

Labor Day in Seattle vs. Nevada or the following week vs. Boise State in Seattle *should* be relatively easy to market.

Not a single game you listed is one school choosing to give up a home game with nothing in return.

I hear your point, and if we had a fan base that actually filled the stadium even twice a season, I'd give it more weight. The bottom line for me has always been that Pullman has NEVER supported 4 home games a year, let alone 7.
You realize we sold out 3 games last year?
EDIT: The Oregon, the Arizona and the Apple Cup. Legitimate sellouts.

9/2 vs. Nevada
9/9 vs. Boise St.
9/16 vs. Montana St.

I have many comments and ideas:

First - how about we play Montana State in SPOKANE? Might even get a few of those sheep lovers to the game.

Second - why is it always Montana State? Why can't we play Montana? They would bring some fans I'm sure. Heck, let's do a home and home with them. They draw as many fans as some of our games, and some of the Mountain West games.

Third - I'm torn on the Seattle/Boise State thing. I want them at home, and I bet a few of them would travel to Pullman. However, I bet a few more would travel to Seattle, and they must have some fans over there. Here, not so much. Maybe a few Idaho Vandals that would attend and root against them.

Fourth - I think BSU in Pullman will be a sellout. However, WSU then needs to get creative with ticket prices and packages for the Nevada and MSU games. MSU should be a $10 ticket. Nevada? I hate those Memorial weekend games. Move it Friday or Thursday for TV, make the tickets cheap and take our lumps.

So you want all of the perks without any of the associated cost? Sounds pretty typical of your average WSU fan.

I split 4 seats with another person ( my brother), collectively the cost is around $3500 which we split, there is only one person in each seat and they are used each week, don't see how that is "wanting all the perks without the costs" I am sure the CAF greatly appreciates my money

You realize we sold out 3 games last year?
EDIT: The Oregon, the Arizona and the Apple Cup. Legitimate sellouts.

OK, but you get the point I was making, dollar cost averaging. What games do we sell out this year? Portland State? Wyoming? Oregon State? Stanford? ASU? Colorado?

If we're competitive early, I think we have a chance at selling out 2...maybe 3. For Portland State and Wyoming, I think we'll average 27K/game if we're lucky.

If we play all 3 home games in 2017, I think we'll see a crowd of 25K vs. Nevada on Labor Day weekend, a sellout vs. Boise State, and a crowd of 20K or less vs. Montana State.

No, you ABSOLUTELY do not do a home and home with an FCS team. That would make you a laughingstock.

Reactions: E Jones
I have many comments and ideas:

First - how about we play Montana State in SPOKANE? Might even get a few of those sheep lovers to the game.

Second - why is it always Montana State? Why can't we play Montana? They would bring some fans I'm sure. Heck, let's do a home and home with them. They draw as many fans as some of our games, and some of the Mountain West games.

Third - I'm torn on the Seattle/Boise State thing. I want them at home, and I bet a few of them would travel to Pullman. However, I bet a few more would travel to Seattle, and they must have some fans over there. Here, not so much. Maybe a few Idaho Vandals that would attend and root against them.

Fourth - I think BSU in Pullman will be a sellout. However, WSU then needs to get creative with ticket prices and packages for the Nevada and MSU games. MSU should be a $10 ticket. Nevada? I hate those Memorial weekend games. Move it Friday or Thursday for TV, make the tickets cheap and take our lumps.

So much stupid in this post that it actually hurts.

I split 4 seats with another person ( my brother), collectively the cost is around $3500 which we split, there is only one person in each seat and they are used each week, don't see how that is "wanting all the perks without the costs" I am sure the CAF greatly appreciates my money

Then what are you complaining about? Why do you care if people who buy mini plans don't get premiere parking?

No, you ABSOLUTELY do not do a home and home with an FCS team. That would make you a laughingstock.

I was only 10% serious, but I have been to a Montana game. Makes our gameday experience look like a trip to church. Oh and laughingstock would kinda be a step up for us at this point. The main point is that Montana State is a crap team to play.

Reactions: wazzucougs96
You disagree that Bill Moos has said no more Seattle games or that he wants 7 Pullman games?

Ok.....
I do. Moos said there would not be another Seattle game while he's AD, IF we fill Martin. He said it clearly, more than once, and I was 10 feet away one of the times he did. So, sure...he did say no more Seattle game, but then he immediately gave himself 2 different avenues to circumvent the statement.

I do. Moos said there would not be another Seattle game while he's AD, IF we fill Martin. He said it clearly, more than once, and I was 10 feet away one of the times he did. So, sure...he did say no more Seattle game, but then he immediately gave himself 2 different avenues to circumvent the statement.

You think if we are filling Martin on the regular we are going to move a game to Seattle?

That doesn't make any sense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT