ADVERTISEMENT

Future roster

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
A little early to get into that, but hey we have until Thursday.

So - roster link below:

Seniors Mullins, Oleson (who?) and Jaki all have Covid years available. Of course we would love Jaki to return and bring his GF with him, but I'm sure he has a bright future ahead of him over in Europe. Mullins? IDK. He has pretty much sat the bench this year after starting 8 games last year and after 2 productive 2-year stint at St. Mary's. If Rice and Wells bail? He might come back. Oleson? Thanks for your service.

Yesufu and Jones are out of eligibility.

Now the rest. Rice is rumored to be done. Wells will be in demand. Hope we can keep him. I don't see Watts or Chinyelu leaving next year, which is key. Houinsou either. Cluff will be back. We need to install a Cluff and Chinyelu tandem game option. Others? A few nameless unknown guys.

So Watts, Chinyelu/Cluff, Housinou, Wells (hope), maybe Mullins as a starting lineup? Good for a pre-season ranking of, say, 10th? :)

A little early to get into that, but hey we have until Thursday.

So - roster link below:

Seniors Mullins, Oleson (who?) and Jaki all have Covid years available. Of course we would love Jaki to return and bring his GF with him, but I'm sure he has a bright future ahead of him over in Europe. Mullins? IDK. He has pretty much sat the bench this year after starting 8 games last year and after 2 productive 2-year stint at St. Mary's. If Rice and Wells bail? He might come back. Oleson? Thanks for your service.

Yesufu and Jones are out of eligibility.

Now the rest. Rice is rumored to be done. Wells will be in demand. Hope we can keep him. I don't see Watts or Chinyelu leaving next year, which is key. Houinsou either. Cluff will be back. We need to install a Cluff and Chinyelu tandem game option. Others? A few nameless unknown guys.

So Watts, Chinyelu/Cluff, Housinou, Wells (hope), maybe Mullins as a starting lineup? Good for a pre-season ranking of, say, 10th? :)

Smith, in a radio interview with Chaz the radio announcer before or after the game, said that Yesufu, because he is, was injured the whole season, can come back next year, but is not sure if he will or not.

Some factors to consider:

1. 1 poster came on here, started a rumor that according to HIS SECRET SOURCE, Rice wasn't coming back. Rumor is not fact. And even if it were true, Rice might change mind .
2. WSU, Smith stuck by Rice, probably helped with his medical bills, didn't yank his scholly, kick him to the curb like a lot of other programs would have done.

3. Rice is VERY RELIGIOUS, and seems like the type that would GREATLY VALUE point 2 above.

4. Rice and Wells and team and Smith are such awesome friends, loves Pullman, this according to Chaz the radio announcer who sees that on regular basis behind scenes, and Smith and Rice, and other team members have said that, backed that up, etc.

5. Rice's Mother lives in Pullman. She moved up there when Rice got cancer.

6. Combined with the above, if WSU goes to the sweet 16, and if Smith stays, and if not too many players leave, Rice might stay.

7. Rice knows that the coaching, development he gets from WSU, Smith, might semi probably be a key to maybe making NBA. If Rice takes a NIL deal to play for a Kentucky type, he won't get as much development, playing time, etc, as he would at WSU because at Kentucky he would have to compete with 15 FIVE STARS to start.

Because of the 7 points above Rice might stay.

Even if Rice, Jaki, Wells, Yesufu, Jones, all gone next year.

WSU would have.

Chinyelu, Cluff, Spencer(3 star big man recruit(last year(freshman, will be a sophomore, buried on depth chart by all the awesome players) that Seton Hall wanted, offered (Seton Hall is a awesome program). Smith is plenty able to grab another impact transfer big.

Mullins if he comes back, Kymany, Watts, would be the main starting guards. Darling who was buried under all the awesome players might be good enough to contribute. Smith can get a transfer impact guard.

Smith can build, RELOAD a pretty good team around that core.

It wouldn't be ranked #10, but would probably be projected to finish 3,4,5 in the WCC.

If that core has Wells or Rice or Jaki or Yesufu or any combo of those players, then Smith can build that into the #2 team in the WCC next year.

Smith, in a radio interview with Chaz the radio announcer before or after the game, said that Yesufu, because he is, was injured the whole season, can come back next year, but is not sure if he will or not.

Some factors to consider:

1. 1 poster came on here, started a rumor that according to HIS SECRET SOURCE, Rice wasn't coming back. Rumor is not fact. And even if it were true, Rice might change mind .
2. WSU, Smith stuck by Rice, probably helped with his medical bills, didn't yank his scholly, kick him to the curb like a lot of other programs would have done.

3. Rice is VERY RELIGIOUS, and seems like the type that would GREATLY VALUE point 2 above.

4. Rice and Wells and team and Smith are such awesome friends, loves Pullman, this according to Chaz the radio announcer who sees that on regular basis behind scenes, and Smith and Rice, and other team members have said that, backed that up, etc.

5. Rice's Mother lives in Pullman. She moved up there when Rice got cancer.

6. Combined with the above, if WSU goes to the sweet 16, and if Smith stays, and if not too many players leave, Rice might stay.

7. Rice knows that the coaching, development he gets from WSU, Smith, might semi probably be a key to maybe making NBA. If Rice takes a NIL deal to play for a Kentucky type, he won't get as much development, playing time, etc, as he would at WSU because at Kentucky he would have to compete with 15 FIVE STARS to start.

Because of the 7 points above Rice might stay.

Even if Rice, Jaki, Wells, Yesufu, Jones, all gone next year.

WSU would have.

Chinyelu, Cluff, Spencer(3 star big man recruit(last year(freshman, will be a sophomore, buried on depth chart by all the awesome players) that Seton Hall wanted, offered (Seton Hall is a awesome program). Smith is plenty able to grab another impact transfer big.

Mullins if he comes back, Kymany, Watts, would be the main starting guards. Darling who was buried under all the awesome players might be good enough to contribute. Smith can get a transfer impact guard.

Smith can build, RELOAD a pretty good team around that core.

It wouldn't be ranked #10, but would probably be projected to finish 3,4,5 in the WCC.

If that core has Wells or Rice or Jaki or Yesufu or any combo of those players, then Smith can build that into the #2 team in the WCC next year.
You sure Rice's Mom is still in Pullman? I ask because if she was able to pull up stakes to be here for multiple years, that bodes well in a couple of levels, one being that the family must be OK financially. Important factor when looking at NIL opportunities.

My bad on Yesufu - the bio said he used his Covid year, thought that meant he was done.

That roster is actually pretty cool, you can link on "full bio" and read about the players history.

Maube we can kidnap Jaki's GF and hold her hostage for a year. Or give her a job.

Given what's happened the last several years, you might as well pull out the Ouija board to make predictions on roster. My cynical side says that we get raided top to bottom with Smith gone and everyone bailing. I hope that I'm wrong.

If Smith stays (which he would be wise to do), I think we might be to the point where good things are going to happen.

Reactions: Coug90
Given what's happened the last several years, you might as well pull out the Ouija board to make predictions on roster. My cynical side says that we get raided top to bottom with Smith gone and everyone bailing. I hope that I'm wrong.

If Smith stays (which he would be wise to do), I think we might be to the point where good things are going to happen.
Good point on the fact that nobody knows a darn thing about how the offseason will play. That's why I've avoided even thinking beyond this year and am just enjoying the special season this team is giving us. Worrying about what might or might not happen with next year's team doesn't work for me.

Glad Cougar

You sure Rice's Mom is still in Pullman? I ask because if she was able to pull up stakes to be here for multiple years, that bodes well in a couple of levels, one being that the family must be OK financially. Important factor when looking at NIL opportunities.

My bad on Yesufu - the bio said he used his Covid year, thought that meant he was done.

That roster is actually pretty cool, you can link on "full bio" and read about the players history.

Maube we can kidnap Jaki's GF and hold her hostage for a year. Or give her a job.

Yes, unless I misheard, misunderstood, which I doubt that I misheard, misunderstood.

Either in a pregame, or post game or the cougar basketball show at Zeppos, either Chaz the radio announcer or Smith said that Rice's Mother moved up to Pullman, when Rice got cancer, and that she is still living there, and that she goes to all the home games in Pullman.

I either don't think or know if, that she has comfortably enough money to not need or want NIL money, but I suspect the WSU Pullman community is helping her to live in Pullman.

I hope Smith stays at WSU for many years and can see a path where he might like to.

I’m curious to know why he would be “wise” to do so?

Suppose he’s offered $3.5-4 million/yr for 5 years guaranteed, you know, something along the lines of the #20-30th paid coach then flames🔥 out and gets fired.

He’d be 59 with $20 million in his pocket.

I hope Smith stays at WSU for many years and can see a path where he might like to.

Suppose he’s offered $3.5-4 million/yr for 5 years guaranteed, you know, something along the lines of the #20-30th paid coach then flames🔥 out and gets fired.

Not debating your point, but there are these little things called state and federal income taxes that might get in the way of your "20 million in his pocket" prediction.

The one absolute is that absolutely cannot be asked to take a pay cut. And I hope his contract has incentives for things like making the tournament.

BTW the $200,000 matching campaign for BB that the Cougar Collective started (anonymous donors kicking in $ for $ up to $100,000) has raised $191,000 and counting in a week. Counting the match.

Last edited:

I say wise because more often than not...coaches get canned for failing to live up to expectations. Basketball is not as bad as football....but it's hard to meet the expectations of the colleges that have the money to lure a coach away. Jerome Tang took KSU to the Elite Eight last year and he's going to be on the hot seat next year. That said, if he gets a job that pays him $4+ million per year.....I'm not going to blame him for leaving.

Unfortunately, Tony Bennett and Mike Leach both bailed from WSU to jobs that were arguably lateral moves.....so God only knows what Smith is thinking. The hope is that the fan support in the last three games makes him feel like staying.

I say wise because more often than not...coaches get canned for failing to live up to expectations. Basketball is not as bad as football....but it's hard to meet the expectations of the colleges that have the money to lure a coach away. Jerome Tang took KSU to the Elite Eight last year and he's going to be on the hot seat next year. That said, if he gets a job that pays him $4+ million per year.....I'm not going to blame him for leaving.

Unfortunately, Tony Bennett and Mike Leach both bailed from WSU to jobs that were arguably lateral moves.....so God only knows what Smith is thinking. The hope is that the fan support in the last three games makes him feel like staying.
We know WSU is a challenging spot, but I also think it's a good fit for Smith's philosophy and style. Also hoping the long overdue taste of what Beasley can be like when we win helps him stick with us. I get a bit of Raveling feeling with Smith in terms of leaving now. We can't compete with the offers that will come, but pick wisely. I never got the feeling Tony was going to stay too long in Pullman. UVA was his "perfect fit". They had the resources, "academics", and geography for his wife

I won't blame him if Smith takes another offer. He's mid-50's and will be in demand. He's done a great job keeping us competitive with the annual roster blowup. Would be nice to get him enough NIL to have a fighting shot plus charters.

Last edited:
Yes, unless I misheard, misunderstood, which I doubt that I misheard, misunderstood.

Either in a pregame, or post game or the cougar basketball show at Zeppos, either Chaz the radio announcer or Smith said that Rice's Mother moved up to Pullman, when Rice got cancer, and that she is still living there, and that she goes to all the home games in Pullman.

I either don't think or know if, that she has comfortably enough money to not need or want NIL money, but I suspect the WSU Pullman community is helping her to live in Pullman.
Rice’s mom was here for her son’s few months of chemotherapy she didn’t move to Pullman. For Rice I think it’s all about if Smith stays. Imo if Smith stays Rice is much more likely to stay.

Reactions: COUGinNCW
Virginia being a lateral move is laughable to me.

Tony gets just under $5,000,000/ year

and fear of getting fired early on a guaranteed contract? Please.

When Bennett took the job in 2009...it was not a upward move. They had a nice new arena, but it was a program that had lost its way and routinely sat in the middle or bottom of the ACC since their heyday. Two NCAA appearances in a 12 year span isn't going to wow anyone. It's still the ACC and that in itself is an upgrade...but he went to a program that had been a bottom feeder for all but one of the previous seven seasons. I don't root for Tony since he left, but he's a great coach that made Virginia relevant almost every year.

Virginia may have fallen down as an ACC power for many years, but that doesn't mean it was a lateral move for Tony. The pay, the arena, the overall resources UVA has committed to men's basketball is/was way above anything WSU could offer. It was that commitment and resources by the university that allowed Tony to win a national championship.....something, unfortunately, I could never see happening at WSU given our commitment and resources to basketball.

Glad Cougar

Reactions: HCoug

This is my thinking. Predicting rosters next year in this era of college sports is about as worthless as predicting all of the games. Were acting like this roster wasn’t just gutted 10 months ago. I’d be thrilled if we could hang on to smith and 3 or 4 of these core guys. The team sure seems to like playing together though, so who knows. If everyone came back they would be a national contender for sure.

This is my thinking. Predicting rosters next year in this era of college sports is about as worthless as predicting all of the games. Were acting like this roster wasn’t just gutted 10 months ago. I’d be thrilled if we could hang on to smith and 3 or 4 of these core guys. The team sure seems to like playing together though, so who knows. If everyone came back they would be a national contender for sure.
Just watched the 2:41 interview segment with Rice and Wells on Brand X. Yeah these guys get along. Do either or both really want to leave for a few sheckles, and possibly get buried among the established 5 stars somewhere else? Can you imagine the hype that WSU could create next year if the gang stays together and we tear up the Wimp Coast Conference?

The Cougar Collective $100,000 plus $100,000 BB match is now at $208,000, surpassing the goal. The benevolent Loyal one even pitched in. F-it. You all should too, even though the match part is done. Yeah it's not gonna compete with the big boys but if they dole it out to these guys judiciously it will help. $10,000+ to the stars, $5,000 to others? Or whatever. That would be something, and their profiles will increase by being here another year.

Reactions: Coug90
Let's enjoy this ride, with this team, as long as we can. There is no point in predicting the future, because we have no idea which coaches and players are coming back, and even the coaches and players themselves, have no idea at this time. Hopefully everyone comes back, but the more success this team the more options they all have.

Just watched the 2:41 interview segment with Rice and Wells on Brand X. Yeah these guys get along. Do either or both really want to leave for a few sheckles, and possibly get buried among the established 5 stars somewhere else? Can you imagine the hype that WSU could create next year if the gang stays together and we tear up the Wimp Coast Conference?

The Cougar Collective $100,000 plus $100,000 BB match is now at $208,000, surpassing the goal. The benevolent Loyal one even pitched in. F-it. You all should too, even though the match part is done. Yeah it's not gonna compete with the big boys but if they dole it out to these guys judiciously it will help. $10,000+ to the stars, $5,000 to others? Or whatever. That would be something, and their profiles will increase by being here another year.

With the first NCAA birth since 2008, may Cougar Collective could do ANOTHER match from the first day of the PAC 12 tourney to the Cougs NCAA game..

Let's enjoy this ride, with this team, as long as we can. There is no point in predicting the future, because we have no idea which coaches and players are coming back, and even the coaches and players themselves, have no idea at this time. Hopefully everyone comes back, but the more success this team the more options they all have.
When the year started I just wanted to enjoy whatever this team was going to become. Win or lose, I knew I "liked" the team Smith put together. Last week I started to think about next year, but pulled myself back to the present. So much can change whenever the years ends. I can't promise I won't throw my 2 cents in on next year, but I'm just "enjoying the ride" as well. This "team" is really special.

When the year started I just wanted to enjoy whatever this team was going to become. Win or lose, I knew I "liked" the team Smith put together. Last week I started to think about next year, but pulled myself back to the present. So much can change whenever the years ends. I can't promise I won't throw my 2 cents in on next year, but I'm just "enjoying the ride" as well. This "team" is really special.

I still remember sitting in Beasley on November 3rd with my wife when they did the 2023-24 team introductions and I looked over at her and said, "Smith has brought in a lot of dudes".

They have far exceeded my miniscule expectations.

With the first NCAA birth since 2008, may Cougar Collective could do ANOTHER match from the first day of the PAC 12 tourney to the Cougs NCAA game..
Did you donate to this one? Who else on this Board besides Loyal on this Board donated?

Virginia may have fallen down as an ACC power for many years, but that doesn't mean it was a lateral move for Tony. The pay, the arena, the overall resources UVA has committed to men's basketball is/was way above anything WSU could offer. It was that commitment and resources by the university that allowed Tony to win a national championship.....something, unfortunately, I could never see happening at WSU given our commitment and resources to basketball.

Glad Cougar
Agree, at UVA he could recruit a full roster of D1 players on 1 tank of gas. From Pullman you get to Yakima and you’d have to turn around.

Hey - I have not given a dime to WSU for years. But this one spurred me. I'm sure you threw in a few sheckles too. Probably more than me.
Loyal thanks for stepping up. And we all need to step up as Cougar Fans, WSU fans can brag about waving the flag and our TV ratings, but in the end, it is all about making a small financial commitment to WSU athletics. I had season tickets for over 20 years and in addition, have donated every year for the past 30 plus years, not a huge amount but enough to get phone calls every month. I am not trying to brag, but I care about WSU, had a great experience there, my education helped me in my career, and it is simply a small token of my appreciation for the great time I had while at WSU, and WSU has a special place in my heart. Here are some numbers that could make it sound simple, but it is difficult to attain.

WSU on average has graduated 3000-4000 students each year for the past 60 years, if just 1500 of these graduates each year or 90,000 graduates for the past 60 years donate $250 a year to WSU athletics, that would be 22.5 million per year. And it would solve a lot of the athletic departments problems and give them the money to do many things. If 250 isn't in your budget ,even $50 or $100 helps, Even $100 with those numbers is 9 million a year. You don't even have to be a graduate, but I'd like to think that if you spent 4 years in Pullman, you attended more than one sporting event, and probably watch them with pride on TV. If you want to keep watching with pride it takes a small financial commitment. Sending $50 to the athletic department does far more for the university than spending $50 on Cougar gear. I am tired of seeing coaches go and players leave, but pulling back money in disgust only makes the problem worse, if everyone give a little it goes a long way. And certainly, during these times, we can secure a better future for our athletic programs.

Loyal thanks for stepping up. And we all need to step up as Cougar Fans, WSU fans can brag about waving the flag and our TV ratings, but in the end, it is all about making a small financial commitment to WSU athletics. I had season tickets for over 20 years and in addition, have donated every year for the past 30 plus years, not a huge amount but enough to get phone calls every month. I am not trying to brag, but I care about WSU, had a great experience there, my education helped me in my career, and it is simply a small token of my appreciation for the great time I had while at WSU, and WSU has a special place in my heart. Here are some numbers that could make it sound simple, but it is difficult to attain.

WSU on average has graduated 3000-4000 students each year for the past 60 years, if just 1500 of these graduates each year or 90,000 graduates for the past 60 years donate $250 a year to WSU athletics, that would be 22.5 million per year. And it would solve a lot of the athletic departments problems and give them the money to do many things. If 250 isn't in your budget ,even $50 or $100 helps, Even $100 with those numbers is 9 million a year. You don't even have to be a graduate, but I'd like to think that if you spent 4 years in Pullman, you attended more than one sporting event, and probably watch them with pride on TV. If you want to keep watching with pride it takes a small financial commitment. Sending $50 to the athletic department does far more for the university than spending $50 on Cougar gear. I am tired of seeing coaches go and players leave, but pulling back money in disgust only makes the problem worse, if everyone give a little it goes a long way. And certainly, during these times, we can secure a better future for our athletic programs.

I just wish that WSU would more actively seek to reward fans that donate. Right now, other than Cougar pride, the only benefits from the CAF are better parking spots and a theoretically better chance at good tickets for bowl games. That said, when I went to the Alamo Bowl in 2018...I sat at the 30 yard line in the lower bowl. A friend of mine who pays for 50 yard line season tickets with the applicable seat fee....sat in the endzone on the 2nd level with her university provided tickets.

Kansas State had a program back in the day called ICAT...which stood for I Contributed A Twenty. Everyone who donated at least $20 got a ICAT t-shirt. If nothing else, it conditioned students to the notion that they should give extra money to KSU. If I were running the CAF, you would get the following rewards for donating money:

$50-99: CAF Window Cling & Pin (currently offered)
$100-249: Annual postcard signed by coach of your choice
$250-999: Annual poster signed by featured players of team of your choice
$1,000-2,499: Volleyball, baseball, basketball or football signed by coach of your choice
$2,500-9,999: One of the above plus game program recognition
$10,000-up: same as now (plaque plus on-field recognition over $50k

Give the people something tangible along with their Cougar pride.

Reactions: ATACFD
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT