ADVERTISEMENT

Leach shows commitment to grades

And I won't get upset about the resident male cheerleader of this board.
Cheerleader? hm. Well, I guess I'm pretty proud of the accomplishments WSU has made. I've even posted stuff that isn't sports related on here… because I'm proud of WSU. When was the last time you started a thread about something positive at/for WSU? You must be VERY proud, Sponge.

When something goes wrong or I'm not proud, do I post 100 times or start 10 or 15 threads about the exact same concern? Nope. I don't shy from it, but I don't keep on it, keep on it, keep on it and somehow divert a thread to some devolving drain-o. We've all found that is your job. This stuff that you and Ed have brought up on THIS thread about APR has been brought up months ago. So what's the point of bringing this chit up again? Haven't we hashed this crap out already?

Everyone also used to believe the earth was flat. Just because "everyone" believes something does not make it so. Again, you know what they say..the masses are asses. Follower mentality.
That is the problem. You and your brother still think the earth is flat.

Reactions: BiggsCoug
Less than 10 replies into this thread and it turned into another endless Wulff-Fest.

I wish there were somewhere on the interwebs people talked mainly about WSU Football...
sigh.

Boy this is one of the worst threads I have ever perused. Get a grip people.
And I know I've been among those that have participated. I look back, re-read the thread and I was only trying to show improvement in our program. I was only trying to show that grades matter… and then I got sucked in. Sorry to all for such a… clusterf.

Less than 10 replies into this thread and it turned into another endless Wulff-Fest.

I wish there were somewhere on the interwebs people talked mainly about WSU Football...
sigh.
There were Cougar fans impressed with a piece of something Leach had done for the program. And then, someone had the audacity- the unmitigated gall- to MAKE A JOKE. What a jerk.

It was inevitable that the "Flat Earth Society" would take offense to that and point out the same three pieces they still didn't like and crash this thread into the mountainside, right?

Cheerleader? hm. Well, I guess I'm pretty proud of the accomplishments WSU has made. I've even posted stuff that isn't sports related on here… because I'm proud of WSU. When was the last time you started a thread about something positive at/for WSU? You must be VERY proud, Sponge.

When something goes wrong or I'm not proud, do I post 100 times or start 10 or 15 threads about the exact same concern? Nope. I don't shy from it, but I don't keep on it, keep on it, keep on it and somehow divert a thread to some devolving drain-o. We've all found that is your job. This stuff that you and Ed have brought up on THIS thread about APR has been brought up months ago. So what's the point of bringing this chit up again? Haven't we hashed this crap out already?
Not just months, but years. As I wrote on the premium board, we have an exciting commitment (and yes, I know it does not mean much until signing day) and all they want to do is rehash old arguments.

We have great news about APR of all the programs and they change the topic to old arguments. Then, they deny they did this.
There were Cougar fans impressed with a piece of something Leach had done for the program. And then, someone had the audacity- the unmitigated gall- to MAKE A JOKE. What a jerk.

It was inevitable that the "Flat Earth Society" would take offense to that and point out the same three pieces they still didn't like and crash this thread into the mountainside, right?
Beautiful. I think we have a new nickname for them.

sigh.
Honestly, we tried. The "Flat Earth Society" was away for a few days and no one talked about Wulff, etc. They come back, and you know the rest of the story.

Everyone (including the F.E.S.) just need to follow the wiseness of the Loyal One. Every time you get on Cougzone - uh I mean WW - forget who said what, when and about who. Post something intelligent. If they post something intelligent, respond in kind. That's what I do. I've been insulted and ridiculed by many posters over the years. I can't remember who said what nor do I care. Except Yaki - he tries to annoy me constantly. But, if he posts something worthy, then I respond similarly.

One question - does the F.E.S. include the brothers? If so, F.E.S. could also be their acronym. Fat E and S. :)

Everyone (including the F.E.S.) just need to follow the wiseness of the Loyal One. Every time you get on Cougzone - uh I mean WW - forget who said what, when and about who. Post something intelligent. If they post something intelligent, respond in kind. That's what I do. I've been insulted and ridiculed by many posters over the years. I can't remember who said what nor do I care. Except Yaki - he tries to annoy me constantly. But, if he posts something worthy, then I respond similarly.

One question - does the F.E.S. include the brothers? If so, F.E.S. could also be their acronym. Fat E and S. :)
Oh boy… here we go… All knowing… who?! Just don't revert back to the Haiku's or something!;)

Again, I responded to Yaki and LTC as they referred to a quote I made and mentioned me(without mentioning my name) Their quote had nothing to do with APR either, but I don't see you jumping up and down like a yard ape about their indiscretions.

Also, Yaki mentions me or Ed in 99% of his posts, even in threads we aren't even involved in, but you don't seem to go all yard ape over that.

But god forbid if I respond to everyone who comes out of the woodwork whenever I post, you start posting Wallmart stories from your childhood.

Its the same crew who blows a gasket every time Chinook posts. It's hilarious that you claim I'm throwing a fit, but there you are throwing a fit and telling Wallmart stories.

And BTW, I never start threads about the topic you are so insensitive about.

Remember, recognizing how stupid it is to call for a coaches head halfway through his first game is equivalent to being part of the Flat Earth Society. That's a failing of the masses.
I never called for his head..and you weren't even here back then, but there you go following the herd again.

I honestly feel like I've come upon a dungeons and dragons convention every time I come to this board.

Last edited:
Again, I responded to Yaki and LTC as they referred to a quote I made and mentioned me(without mentioning my name) Their quote had nothing to do with APR either, but I don't see you jumping up and down like a yard ape about their indiscretions.

Also, Yaki mentions me or Ed in 99% of his posts, even in threads we aren't even involved in, but you don't seem to go all yard ape over that.

But god forbid if I respond to everyone who comes out of the woodwork whenever I post, you start posting Wallmart stories from your childhood.

Its the same crew who blows a gasket every time Chinook posts. It's hilarious that you claim I'm throwing a fit, but there you are throwing a fit and telling Wallmart stories.

And we'll move forward… But aren't you proud of how CML has brought our APR up as much as he has? I think it's great news about our program…

Reactions: spongebob11
And we'll move forward… But aren't you proud of how CML has brought our APR up as much as he has? I think it's great news about our program…
I do. I think when you get character guys who go to class, you win. That's how Bob Knight did it. That's how coach K did it. That's how they are doing it at Stanford...so yes, I am actually pleased with that.

If Leach could find a way to win with an APR of 700 and have top recruits lining up for the opportunity to stack the trophy case and continue the new tradition, I would be a happy camper.

I never called for his head..and you weren't even here back then, but there you go following the herd again.

I honestly feel like I've come upon a dungeons and dragons convention every time I come to this board.
I was here, you just don't remember.

again 95, I didn't bring up "on field stuff", I simply asked LTC about
And it would be wrong, both as talent and mentality of the program. But hey, make up what you want and tell it to yourself a billion times. Neither of us are changing minds. There is everyone that believes what I believe. Then there is you and one or two others that believe what you believe.

Frankly, I am kicking myself for feeding a troll right now.
Not everyone. Not some in the coaching profession. There are people who for example who think and thought in the profession that Tuel Halliday were better than say Gossen and Garcia, or Cole Morgan and Gary Rogers. There are the same folks in the coaching profession that think there is not a vast difference between Steve Cromer, Mike Smith, Husby, Garman, Wulff, V Lesuma, R Lesuma, Alfred, Hannam and the likes of Bosch, Fullington, Rodgers, Geotz(Mike Leach player from Tech),, Jacobson and an under-producing Rico Forbes.

Is there a great deal of difference between Randy Gray, Tim Downing, Tony Savage and Brown, Ahmu, Matt E, Kevin Kooyman, Matt Mullinex over Laurenzi, Pole, Paulo, cooper, Long?

I get people having their opinions based on recruiting numbers etc, but now that the players have cycled through we now have more data. I just listed 33 names from three different transition periods. Out of 33 names, six names on that list have either been drafted, in a camp, or on a 53 roster. What is strange is that all six came off a horrible record.

One player in fullington was on a 53 man roster. Rodgers was recently drafted. Out of 15 lineman, the only two players that seemed to have a high enough talent level was players recruited between 08 and 2012.
I listed what 12 dlineman, and there were three that were either drafted or made it into camp. All three were recruited between 2008 and 2012.

And do we need to talk about the QB's? I mean seriously, I may be a flat "earther", but I am certainly open to any logical and rationale explanation how anyone could say talent wise it was a scorched earth compared to other transitional periods. I know you and everyone on the board feels that way. I would suspect Greg Peterson feels that way as well. But there are people outside of this board who do have a different opinion.

again 95, I didn't bring up "on field stuff", I simply asked LTC about

Not everyone. Not some in the coaching profession. There are people who for example who think and thought in the profession that Tuel Halliday were better than say Gossen and Garcia, or Cole Morgan and Gary Rogers. There are the same folks in the coaching profession that think there is not a vast difference between Steve Cromer, Mike Smith, Husby, Garman, Wulff, V Lesuma, R Lesuma, Alfred, Hannam and the likes of Bosch, Fullington, Rodgers, Geotz(Mike Leach player from Tech),, Jacobson and an under-producing Rico Forbes.

Is there a great deal of difference between Randy Gray, Tim Downing, Tony Savage and Brown, Ahmu, Matt E, Kevin Kooyman, Matt Mullinex over Laurenzi, Pole, Paulo, cooper, Long?

I get people having their opinions based on recruiting numbers etc, but now that the players have cycled through we now have more data. I just listed 33 names from three different transition periods. Out of 33 names, six names on that list have either been drafted, in a camp, or on a 53 roster. What is strange is that all six came off a horrible record.

One player in fullington was on a 53 man roster. Rodgers was recently drafted. Out of 15 lineman, the only two players that seemed to have a high enough talent level was players recruited between 08 and 2012.
I listed what 12 dlineman, and there were three that were either drafted or made it into camp. All three were recruited between 2008 and 2012.

And do we need to talk about the QB's? I mean seriously, I may be a flat "earther", but I am certainly open to any logical and rationale explanation how anyone could say talent wise it was a scorched earth compared to other transitional periods. I know you and everyone on the board feels that way. I would suspect Greg Peterson feels that way as well. But there are people outside of this board who do have a different opinion.
Holy crap, Ed…
So isn't it great that the APR is up?! I mean, that's the highest it's been in how long? I think it's a great sign for the program, don't you?
Are you guys getting the hint, yet? We are moving on, FYI.

in fact, reasonable and intelligent Cougar fans were stunned that 2013 happened at all.

What exactly was so stunning about the 2013 season? The win at USC in week 2 was stunning....until we later realized that we beat a 4-loss Trojan team. Still, it was a good win given how dreadful we had been for years. Our other wins in 2013 came against Southern Utah, Idaho (1-11), Cal (1-11), Arizona (8-5), Utah (5-7).

The 2013 season ended with a loss in the Apple Cup, and one of the worst chokes in Cougar history (which is saying something) in the New Mexico Bowl. We finished the season at 6-7.

Yaki, you hate when people adjust the data to suit their arguments, but that's exactly what you're doing here. 2012 was an awful, but expected season. 2013 showed improvement, but also included some serious drubbings against Stanford (55-17), Oregon State (52-24), Oregon (62-38), and ASU (55-21). 3 of those beat downs were home games. 2014 was an unmitigated disaster, not worth mentioning.

Leach is going to get it done, but good God man, come up for air. You are to Leach what Ed is to Wulff. :eek:

Holy crap, Ed…
So isn't it great that the APR is up?! I mean, that's the highest it's been in how long? I think it's a great sign for the program, don't you?
Are you guys getting the hint, yet? We are moving on, FYI.
A couple of things...I think it is a great representation of the school. But at the same time I look at grades in a very cynical manner. I remember Mike Price use to brag about how well the 1993 class was doing and that he is looking at 95% graduation rate. Next thing you know we are below 50% graduation rate among Pac 10 schools and we are below the UW. The problem with his measurement it only took into consideration the kids still with the program. If didn't factor in the kids who quit, or the kids who flunked out.

But the bigger reason for my cynicism is I watched Jerry Pettibone over a four year stretch graduate 94 out of 100 kids...and he was thrown to the curb.

So while I think it is great what Leach is doing, a coach, whether it is Leach or whoever will be fired based on wins and losses and no one will think twice about his GPA or APR. Look at how fondly people view Dennis Erickson for his two years at WSU. His 1988 had a team GPA under 2.

Again, it is great news and I for one hope he piggy backs that with some wins this coming year.

Reactions: spongebob11
A couple of things...I think it is a great representation of the school. But at the same time I look at grades in a very cynical manner. I remember Mike Price use to brag about how well the 1993 class was doing and that he is looking at 95% graduation rate. Next thing you know we are below 50% graduation rate among Pac 10 schools and we are below the UW. The problem with his measurement it only took into consideration the kids still with the program. If didn't factor in the kids who quit, or the kids who flunked out.

But the bigger reason for my cynicism is I watched Jerry Pettibone over a four year stretch graduate 94 out of 100 kids...and he was thrown to the curb.

So while I think it is great what Leach is doing, a coach, whether it is Leach or whoever will be fired based on wins and losses and no one will think twice about his GPA or APR. Look at how fondly people view Dennis Erickson for his two years at WSU. His 1988 had a team GPA under 2.

Again, it is great news and I for one hope he piggy backs that with some wins this coming year.
I'd probably agree with this. While you have fairly specific reasons, I'm probably more generic. I don't know that I'd call it cynicism, more like reality. My one comment earlier, would be my response. While all of this is "well and good" much like what you comment above on, I'm just glad the APR thing isn't another thing that hinders us.

College is whatever the student makes it. Wanna take basket weaving or Engineering or Pre-Med, up to you. Excel in whatever you wish. Some of WSU's players might be excelling in basket weaving. Others might be excelling in Engineering or Pre-Med. I'm just glad no one is flunking in basket weaving OR Engineering OR Pre-Med… or whatever.

Reactions: Slowmotionjones
Why do the players he did recruit keep getting drafted? But that is beside the point. So what you are saying complete rebuilds take time? How many years? I agree. remember the ole five year plan that you and others poo pooed and said have some expectations? By the way, could you imagine starting a complete rebuild with zero experience at QB?

What I said is no different than Kayak, except I was 1 out of 3 thinking what would have happened. Again, we could go position by position and instead of looking at what Wulff inherited but what Price inherited. I think it would be argued that Price inherited less than Leach. Granted, a different time, but he got to nine wins in year four.

Jeez, my wants are simply a winning season.

Averaging one per year....

Last edited:

The APR is the NCAA's method of tracking academic progress. We've had two guys leave early, both were drafted. Even with Wulff's god awful recruiting and turnover of the roster, we've stayed out of APR trouble.

There is nothing to be cynical about.

What exactly was so stunning about the 2013 season? The win at USC in week 2 was stunning....until we later realized that we beat a 4-loss Trojan team. Still, it was a good win given how dreadful we had been for years. Our other wins in 2013 came against Southern Utah, Idaho (1-11), Cal (1-11), Arizona (8-5), Utah (5-7).

The 2013 season ended with a loss in the Apple Cup, and one of the worst chokes in Cougar history (which is saying something) in the New Mexico Bowl. We finished the season at 6-7.

Yaki, you hate when people adjust the data to suit their arguments, but that's exactly what you're doing here. 2012 was an awful, but expected season. 2013 showed improvement, but also included some serious drubbings against Stanford (55-17), Oregon State (52-24), Oregon (62-38), and ASU (55-21). 3 of those beat downs were home games. 2014 was an unmitigated disaster, not worth mentioning.

Leach is going to get it done, but good God man, come up for air. You are to Leach what Ed is to Wulff. :eek:

Well, WSU's all-time record versus USC is approximately 11 and 70. I'm to call any of those 11 stunning, no matter how losses USC ended its season with.

As I've stated many times before, Leach took over the worst program in WSU football history. Anyone who didn't have his head up his or Wulff's arse knew that. Leach managed to bring in some quick fixes, which allowed for a 6-6 season that you and the other Paulie Annas would have squealed over had your man still been the coach. Again, Leach screwed up by not bringing in more JC talent for 2014, which still involved some quality and competitive games. With the recent infusion of JC talent, the continued development of returnees, and what appears to be a decent early season scheduled, WSU might be successful. If Leach flops miserably, I and many others will be critical. I'm not asking you to get wet in the loins the way you did for Wulff going into 2011 and during the span in which he lost 8 of his last 9 games, but you might consider your own advice and get some air until Leach actually does flop in 2015. But your lip lock on 6 and 40 is amusing. As any good little Tammy Whinett, you continue standing by your man.

Jesus Yaki, enough with the Wulffspeak. He sucked. Nobody needs convincing. We're heading into year 4 with the most heralded coach we've ever signed. We have to be competitive this season. We have to start winning our home games. No more Wulffscuses.

Jesus Yaki, enough with the Wulffspeak. He sucked. Nobody needs convincing. We're heading into year 4 with the most heralded coach we've ever signed. We have to be competitive this season. We have to start winning our home games. No more Wulffscuses.

Patroll, perhaps you missed the part that says, "If Leach flops miserably... ." But I understand the patroll/nookie/spongedith bunch's cries for consistency. :D

But I understand the patroll/nookie/spongedith bunch's cries for consistency. :D

We've been the most consistent team in the conference for years. Consistently bad. Consistently losing our home games. Consistently laughed at. That's why I've been crying.

I want us to beat Rutgers this year. I want to play Wyoming at home for a chance to start 3-0. Rutgers isn't a must win, but if we get it, our October games will have meaning for the first time in a decade. Our fan base needs that.

We've been the most consistent team in the conference for years. Consistently bad. Consistently losing our home games. Consistently laughed at. That's why I've been crying.

I want us to beat Rutgers this year. I want to play Wyoming at home for a chance to start 3-0. Rutgers isn't a must win, but if we get it, our October games will have meaning for the first time in a decade. Our fan base needs that.

No kidding. But I'll say that Doba's 32-31 is a tad better than 9 and 40, especially because that 2006 team should have gone to a bowl, which would have been his second in three or so years. While it wouldn't have helped long term, WSU would have brought in some decent JC talent to avoid the collapse that occurred in 2008, according to members of that staff and others close to the program.

No kidding. But I'll say that Doba's 32-31 is a tad better than 9 and 40, especially because that 2006 team should have gone to a bowl, which would have been his second in three or so years. While it wouldn't have helped long term, WSU would have brought in some decent JC talent to avoid the collapse that occurred in 2008, according to members of that staff and others close to the program.
True, that Doba team should have been in a bowl at 6-6. Shows just how weak at marketing the program Sterk was. Before anyone says, "yeah but" that team lost it's last three games. In 2011, ASU lost it's last five (and 6 of 7) and still made a bowl at 6-6.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT