ADVERTISEMENT

More on Mtn West, TV

Loyal Coug1

Hall Of Fame
Aug 24, 2022
Additional articles below.

The USA Today article is especially interesting. I knew nothing about the agreement the Pac-2 and MW West signed in December, which states: The two leagues made an agreement last December that says they will negotiate the “consummation, as promptly as reasonably practicable, of a definitive transaction pursuant to which all MWC Member Institutions join Pac-12 as Pac-12 member institutions with no MWC Exit Fee payable by any MWC Member Institution to MWC.”

Maybe I was asleep but I had never heard of this agreement (the article has more text on it).

But our new Commissioner sez: No. It’s just an option. Gould said Thursday that discussions haven’t even begun on that....... “We are very much in the infancy stages of talking about what happens beyond 2026,” Gould said. “We are not discussing one model or one option.

Well the agreement and her statement are about as opposite as you can get.

USA also sez the Pac-12 network will be "going dark", whereas in the MSN and I believe Brand X article Teresa sez it will remain in operation. I assume the reality is it will go down to 2 channels, and despite what Teresa directly infers on Brand X it should go dark for pretty much everything but games themselves. No more fluff.

And edit about the Pac-2 network. As I post this we are in the middle of 3 hours of "pac-12 FB in 60" on all 7 channels. Cheap to put on, although someone had to edit all those games down to an hour. Later there are a bunch of "Our Stories" episodes on, which are not filmed and produced for free. None of that shit needs to continue.

Last edited:
Additional articles below.

The USA Today article is especially interesting. I knew nothing about the agreement the Pac-2 and MW West signed in December, which states: The two leagues made an agreement last December that says they will negotiate the “consummation, as promptly as reasonably practicable, of a definitive transaction pursuant to which all MWC Member Institutions join Pac-12 as Pac-12 member institutions with no MWC Exit Fee payable by any MWC Member Institution to MWC.”

Maybe I was asleep but I had never heard of this agreement (the article has more text on it).

But our new Commissioner sez: No. It’s just an option. Gould said Thursday that discussions haven’t even begun on that....... “We are very much in the infancy stages of talking about what happens beyond 2026,” Gould said. “We are not discussing one model or one option.

Well the agreement and her statement are about as opposite as you can get.

USA also sez the Pac-12 network will be "going dark", whereas in the MSN and I believe Brand X article Teresa sez it will remain in operation. I assume the reality is it will go down to 2 channels, and despite what Teresa directly infers on Brand X it should go dark for pretty much everything but games themselves. No more fluff.

And edit about the Pac-2 network. As I post this we are in the middle of 3 hours of "pac-12 FB in 60" on all 7 channels. Cheap to put on, although someone had to edit all those games down to an hour. Later there are a bunch of "Our Stories" episodes on, which are not filmed and produced for free. None of that shit needs to continue.

Some technical possibilities. I'm not saying that this is the case.

USA Today could have made a mistake, accidentally reported wrong, misunderstood, etc, since I also and I suspect many others also didn't hear what USA Today reported in reporting this, from other sources.

Also a keyword is NEGOTIATING.

USA Today in that story said that the PAC 2, MWC will NEGOTIATE a agreement where the MWC joins PAC 2.

Now it was my understanding and I suspect probably others understanding, based on multiple news sources that seemed to say this, that there was a understanding between PAC 2, MWC, that as part of the scheduling thing, that if PAC 2 tried to cherry pick, that MWC teams being cherry picked by PAC 2 would have to pay exit fees to MWC, and that IF PAC 2 took ALL MWC teams there would be no exit fee penalties.

And it was my understanding that If 9 MWC teams voted to dissolve the MWC, and join PAC 2, and leave the bottom 3 MWC teams behind, there would be no exit fee penalties, and there would be nothing that Gloria could do to stop that, IF that happened.

A understanding, agreement, if it's not in a legal contract is not binding, meaning that 1 side or both sides can legally break the agreement, understanding.

I don't know if there was a agreement for the MWC to join the PAC 2 written into the scheduling legal contract.

But based on the USA Today article that used AGREEMENT TO NEGOTIATE THE AGREEMENT, that would seem to suggest, mean that there was a AGREEMENT IN THE SCHEDULING CONTRACT to START NEGOTIATING OR NEGOTIATE the AGREEMENT,( not yet in the scheduling contract, or any contract), to have the whole MWC join PAC 2.

What that seems to mean is that the PAC 2, and MWC have to at some point sit down at the negotiating table to talk about merging the whole MWC into PAC 2.

If the PAC 2 did sit down at the negotiating table and start talking about the whole MWC joining the PAC 2, and then all of a sudden said

"Well we sat down at the negotiating table and talked about the Whole MWC joining the PAC 2, just as we agreed to do in the scheduling contract. Thanks for talking with us about that, but we're not interested. But we did negotiate, talk about it, just like we agreed to do in the scheduling contract. Have a good day. Good bye"

If the PAC 2 did that, the PAC 2 would still seemingly be in compliance with the scheduling contract where they agreed to NEGOTIATE the agreement(or TALK ABOUT THE POSSIBLE MWC JOINS PAC 2 AGREEMENT). And that's assuming that USA Today is, was right in reporting what they reported, when NOBODY else seemed to report what USA Today reported

Remember that the PAC 2, WSU, has Oliver Luck, and some of the biggest gun lawyers representing WSU, that represented them in the control of PAC 2/12, issue.

Pretty sure that because of that, that when the PAC 2 did the scheduling thing with MWC, that there was a way to not have whole MWC join the PAC 2 as everybody else not named USA Today seemed to report.

If PAC 2 is willing to EITHER have the top 9 MWC teams vote to dissolve MWC, join PAC 2, leave bottom 3 MWC teams behind(NO PENALTY(GLORIA CANT DO A THING TO STOP IT, IF DONE), OR OR if PAC 2 cherry picks BSU, SDSU, Fresno St, UNLV, and bribes them, AND pays their EXIT PENALTIES, WITH THE 100+ MILLION PAC MONEY, to MWC(Gloria cant do a thing to stop it, IF DONE), then all the PAC 2 has to do is GO THROUGH THE MOTIONS, PRETEND to negotiate the MWC joining the PAC 2, and Gloria cant stop that, IF THAT IS DONE.(Assuming the USA TODAY is right in what they reported that different then what everybody else reported.)

Last edited:
Some technical possibilities. I'm not saying that this is the case.

USA Today could have made a mistake, accidentally reported wrong, misunderstood, etc, since I also and I suspect many others also didn't hear what USA Today reported in reporting this, from other sources.

Also a keyword is NEGOTIATING.

USA Today in that story said that the PAC 2, MWC will NEGOTIATE a agreement where the MWC joins PAC 2.

Now it was my understanding and I suspect probably others understanding, based on multiple news sources that seemed to say this, that there was a understanding between PAC 2, MWC, that as part of the scheduling thing, that if PAC 2 tried to cherry pick, that MWC teams being cherry picked by PAC 2 would have to pay exit fees to MWC, and that IF PAC 2 took ALL MWC teams there would be no exit fee penalties.

And it was my understanding that If 9 MWC teams voted to dissolve the MWC, and join PAC 2, and leave the bottom 3 MWC teams behind, there would be no exit fee penalties, and there would be nothing that Gloria could do to stop that, IF that happened.

A understanding, agreement, if it's not in a legal contract is not binding, meaning that 1 side or both sides can legally break the agreement, understanding.

I don't know if there was a agreement for the MWC to join the PAC 2 written into the scheduling legal contract.

But based on the USA Today article that used AGREEMENT TO NEGOTIATE THE AGREEMENT, that would seem to suggest, mean that there was a AGREEMENT IN THE SCHEDULING CONTRACT to START NEGOTIATING OR NEGOTIATE the AGREEMENT,( not yet in the scheduling contract, or any contract), to have the whole MWC join PAC 2.

What that seems to mean is that the PAC 2, and MWC have to at some point sit down at the negotiating table to talk about merging the whole MWC into PAC 2.

If the PAC 2 did sit down at the negotiating table and start talking about the whole MWC joining the PAC 2, and then all of a sudden said

"Well we sat down at the negotiating table and talked about the Whole MWC joining the PAC 2, just as we agreed to do in the scheduling contract. Thanks for talking with us about that, but we're not interested. But we did negotiate, talk about it, just like we agreed to do in the scheduling contract. Have a good day. Good bye"

If the PAC 2 did that, the PAC 2 would still seemingly be in compliance with the scheduling contract where they agreed to NEGOTIATE the agreement(or TALK ABOUT THE POSSIBLE MWC JOINS PAC 2 AGREEMENT). And that's assuming that USA Today is, was right in reporting what they reported, when NOBODY else seemed to report what USA Today reported

Remember that the PAC 2, WSU, has Oliver Luck, and some of the biggest gun lawyers representing WSU, that represented them in the control of PAC 2/12, issue.

Pretty sure that because of that, that when the PAC 2 did the scheduling thing with MWC, that there was a way to not have whole MWC join the PAC 2 as everybody else not named USA Today seemed to report.

If PAC 2 is willing to EITHER have the top 9 MWC teams vote to dissolve MWC, join PAC 2, leave bottom 3 MWC teams behind(NO PENALTY(GLORIA CANT DO A THING TO STOP IT, IF DONE), OR OR if PAC 2 cherry picks BSU, SDSU, Fresno St, UNLV, and bribes them, AND pays their EXIT PENALTIES, WITH THE 100+ MILLION PAC MONEY, to MWC(Gloria cant do a thing to stop it, IF DONE), then all the PAC 2 has to do is GO THROUGH THE MOTIONS, PRETEND to negotiate the MWC joining the PAC 2, and Gloria cant stop that, IF THAT IS DONE.(Assuming the USA TODAY is right in what they reported that different then what everybody else reported.)
USA Today got their hands on the agreement itself. Would love to see it in its entirety. IMHO, typical BS coming from Schulz, the Pac-2 Commissioner's office, and Chun.

How about some openness, honesty and transparency from our public university.

Reactions: mikalalas
USA Today got their hands on the agreement itself. Would love to see it in its entirety. IMHO, typical BS coming from Schulz, the Pac-2 Commissioner's office, and Chun.

How about some openness, honesty and transparency from our public university.

I'm all in favor of openness, transparency, but putting all this stuff, info, etc, out there, instead of keeping it close to their vest, etc, may hurt WSU's, OSU's, PAC 2's position, leverage, discussions, talks, negotiating, getting the best deal possible, being able to cherry pick the better, best MWC teams, being able to take the 9 best MWC teams, etc, and may cause WSU, OSU, PAC 2, etc, to be practically FORCED to take the whole MWC into PAC 2, instead of being able to cherry pick MWC, rebuild the PAC as best as possible the way they, others want too.

So because of that, openness and transparency IN THIS SITUATION might not be good for WSU, OSU, PAC 2, etc, and may only be good for CURIOUS WSU, OSU, PAC 2 FANS, and CURIOUS MEDIA.

Reactions: Coug-Vandal

I have absolutely no interest in seeing the PAC-12 do a full merger with the Mountain West Conference.

I don't know how realistic these scenarios are, but they're the best I can come up with for a low cost path forward to rebuild the PAC-12 without a full merger with the Mountain West Conference.

#1: A.C.C. COLLAPSE MODEL

Florida State leaves the ACC, followed by Clemson, etc., which leads to a breakup of the ACC. Cal, Stanford, and SMU come crawling to the PAC-12 and offer to rebuild the conference. Let's count:

OSU + WSU + Cal + Stanford + SMU = 5 schools

Need to poach 3 schools from the MWC to get to 8. The academic snobs in the Bay Area (Calford) will demand strong academic schools, so no Boise St. and no Fresno St. So, we poach something like Air Force, Colorado State, and San Diego State.

#2: THE PACK OF 6 BREAK UP THE MWC MODEL

6 Mountain West Conf schools - pick your favorite 6 - form a coalition and vote against everything the conference tries to do, including getting a new TV contract. This basically shuts down the MWC. Consequently, the MWC has no choice but to negotiate a reduced exit fee for the 6 traitors, who leave to join Oregon St. and Washington St.

Merry Christmas, Gloria!!!

I have absolutely no interest in seeing the PAC-12 do a full merger with the Mountain West Conference.

I don't know how realistic these scenarios are, but they're the best I can come up with for a low cost path forward to rebuild the PAC-12 without a full merger with the Mountain West Conference.

#1: A.C.C. COLLAPSE MODEL

Florida State leaves the ACC, followed by Clemson, etc., which leads to a breakup of the ACC. Cal, Stanford, and SMU come crawling to the PAC-12 and offer to rebuild the conference. Let's count:

OSU + WSU + Cal + Stanford + SMU = 5 schools

Need to poach 3 schools from the MWC to get to 8. The academic snobs in the Bay Area (Calford) will demand strong academic schools, so no Boise St. and no Fresno St. So, we poach something like Air Force, Colorado State, and San Diego State.

#2: THE PACK OF 6 BREAK UP THE MWC MODEL

6 Mountain West Conf schools - pick your favorite 6 - form a coalition and vote against everything the conference tries to do, including getting a new TV contract. This basically shuts down the MWC. Consequently, the MWC has no choice but to negotiate a reduced exit fee for the 6 traitors, who leave to join Oregon St. and Washington St.

Merry Christmas, Gloria!!!

Another option. The 9 best MWC teams, BSU, Fresno St, SDSU, UNLV, Airforce, Utah State, Colorado St, Wyoming, etc, vote to dissolve MWC, leave the 3 worst MWC programs behind, and join PAC X at no penalty, and Gloria cant do a thing to stop it, if it happens.

Combined with:

ACC falls apart and SMU, and Boston College TYPES, in, from the ACC also join PAC X.

Then Memphis, USF, Tulane, realizing that there won't be a ACC or won't be a ACC worth joining, instead also joins PAC X.

The PAC X would have WSU, OSU, SMU, BSU, SDSU, Fresno St, Boston College TYPES from the dead ACC, UNLV, Airforce, Utah State, Colorado St, Wyoming, and the PAC X becomes the PAC 12/14/16.

And then the PAC 12/14/16, then get Iowa St TYPES, when they get booted out of the Big 12, Big 10, SEC, becoming the PAC 14/16/18/20.

And the PAC 14/16/18/20, then get Gonzaga, St Mary's, Santa Clara, Xavier, Villanova, UCONN, Big East, Atlantic coast teams, etc, in basketball.

That is all doable. And if that is done, the PAC would be a HYBRID, COMBO G5/P5, with 1 CFP spot, 1 NY6, Rosebowl or Cotton Bowl or Fiesta Bowl or Peach Bowl, and Alamo, Holiday Bowl, Vegas Bowl, Sun Bowl, and would get about 19 million per team per year.

The only question is will that doable thing be done?

Probably not, as I don't trust PAC leadership to be able to do that doable thing.

We’re already giving up on Big12/ACC/P2? The ACC is toast. The B12 can’t compete with the SEC and Big10 as it stands and they know it. Cougs and Beavs offer solid TV markets in the west. This is still a legit possibility imo.

Reactions: COUGinNCW
I thought I posted a while ago a link to where one can find a copy of the 106 page MWC-OSU-WSU scheduling agreement.

Here's a link to the agreement:
Nevada Sportsnet provides us with 106 pages of fun reading

San Diego Union Tribune article on the agreement
Thanks Dave, And dang, this detail has been out there for almost 2 months and WW, Brand X and Brand Y have had almost nothing on it?

To the other posts in this thread - I'm not going to beat my reverse merger drum, I've made my affinity for it clear. The notion of the MW voting to dump SJSU, Nevada and Hawaii then merging? Sure I could go along with that, although having a Bay presence in SJSU seems desirable and would put us back at 12.

I do have to keep coming back to the reasoning behind all these far-flung conference ideas. It is all about the CFB Playoff. Yes there is money to be made there. TV money? Depending on the conference makeup, maybe or probably. Additional travel, etc. costs and impact to athletes? Certainly.

Reactions: mikalalas
Another option. The 9 best MWC teams, BSU, Fresno St, SDSU, UNLV, Airforce, Utah State, Colorado St, Wyoming, etc, vote to dissolve MWC, leave the 3 worst MWC programs behind, and join PAC X at no penalty, and Gloria cant do a thing to stop it, if it happens.
Mikalalas - your reputation for creative conference realignment is secure.

New Pac-12 Commissioner Teresa Gould: Oregon St., Wash. St, encouraged by interest in media rights

Kirk Schulz and Teresa Gould talk

Expanded MWC coverage on Fox for Friday nights.

(I posted this in another thread. This might have been a better place for it)

Expanded MWC coverage on Fox for Friday nights.

(I posted this in another thread. This might have been a better place for it)
Thanks Meister

I have no desire to have any East coast schools in the Pac-? If/when another conference becomes available/sanctions or invite to join on the east coast they would jump. Going through this once is enough.

I have no desire to have any East coast schools in the Pac-? If/when another conference becomes available/sanctions or invite to join on the east coast they would jump. Going through this once is enough.

Having Eastern Schools like Memphis, Tulane, USF, Boston College , Georgia Tech, Duke, etc, probably is the ONLY way the PAC ever gets rebuilt, becomes a HYBRID G5/P5, and gets 1 CFP spot, 1 NY6 spot, decent ok bowls, and about, around 19 mil per team per season.

Any other path equals NO CFP, NO NY6, NO OK BOWLS, AND ONLY 6,7,8,9 mil per team, per season.

Also the Eastern, Southern teams like Duke, SMU, etc, can be counter balanced by getting 9 MTN WEST teams, and by using Pacific, Midwest, Eastern Divisions, or PODS, that can help mitigate, make travelz cost, cheaper.

Now maybe someday, going only regional would work.

But for now WSU, OSU, PAC 2/4/6/8/10/12/14/16/20/22, need to go coast to coast, north to South getting the best program they can, wherever, whenever they can find them.

The only other option is to surrender, give up, quit, go MTN West, G5, WAC, Big Sky, etc, and get PEE, PISS for NO, little CFP, NY6, bowl access, PEE, PISS PER TEAM, PER YEAR, and that's NOT a acceptable option.

Having Eastern Schools like Memphis, Tulane, USF, Boston College , Georgia Tech, Duke, etc, probably is the ONLY way the PAC ever gets rebuilt, becomes a HYBRID G5/P5, and gets 1 CFP spot, 1 NY6 spot, decent ok bowls, and about, around 19 mil per team per season.

Any other path equals NO CFP, NO NY6, NO OK BOWLS, AND ONLY 6,7,8,9 mil per team, per season.

Also the Eastern, Southern teams like Duke, SMU, etc, can be counter balanced by getting 9 MTN WEST teams, and by using Pacific, Midwest, Eastern Divisions, or PODS, that can help mitigate, make travelz cost, cheaper.

Now maybe someday, going only regional would work.

But for now WSU, OSU, PAC 2/4/6/8/10/12/14/16/20/22, need to go coast to coast, north to South getting the best program they can, wherever, whenever they can find them.

The only other option is to surrender, give up, quit, go MTN West, G5, WAC, Big Sky, etc, and get PEE, PISS for NO, little CFP, NY6, bowl access, PEE, PISS PER TEAM, PER YEAR, and that's NOT a acceptable option.
Come on Mik. The WAC doesn't even play football. G5? you mean the Mtn West, which you stated. The Big Sky? Geezus Christ. Why the F would you even post that? And there is no "NY6" anymore. They are now part of the CFP schedule. And there will be a continuing slot for the highest ranked G5 champ.

Come on Mik. The WAC doesn't even play football. G5? you mean the Mtn West, which you stated. The Big Sky? Geezus Christ. Why the F would you even post that? And there is no "NY6" anymore. They are now part of the CFP schedule. And there will be a continuing slot for the highest ranked G5 champ.

There are 5 G5 conferences. Just because you go 12-0, win your G5 conference, whether MTN West or some other G5 conference, that does NOT mean that you will goto CFP, Rosebowl, Cotton Bowl, peach bowl, sugar bowl, fiesta bowl, orange bowl, and any other important bowl that plays in January.

Some other 11-1, 12-0 team from another G5 conference could go to the CFP, an or bowls, over your team that went 11-1, 12-0, won your G5 conference

With rebuilding the PAC with the LEFT OVER ACC teams, and BEST G5 Teams, etc, if you go 11-1, win the conference, you get 1 of the 12 CFP spots, and get more meaningful bowl games. Even if a team goes 11-1, 12-0 from another G5 conference, they are NOT going to get 1 of the 12 spots OVER your 11-1, 12-0, Hybrid G5/P5 conference champ team.

And 19+ Million per team per year, is BETTER THEN 6,7,8,9,10 million per team per year

Reactions: Dave_86
There are 5 G5 conferences. Just because you go 12-0, win your G5 conference, whether MTN West or some other G5 conference, that does NOT mean that you will goto CFP, Rosebowl, Cotton Bowl, peach bowl, sugar bowl, fiesta bowl, orange bowl, and any other important bowl that plays in January.

Some other 11-1, 12-0 team from another G5 conference could go to the CFP, an or bowls, over your team that went 11-1, 12-0, won your G5 conference

With rebuilding the PAC with the LEFT OVER ACC teams, and BEST G5 Teams, etc, if you go 11-1, win the conference, you get 1 of the 12 CFP spots, and get more meaningful bowl games. Even if a team goes 11-1, 12-0 from another G5 conference, they are NOT going to get 1 of the 12 spots OVER your 11-1, 12-0, Hybrid G5/P5 conference champ team.

And 19+ Million per team per year, is BETTER THEN 6,7,8,9,10 million per team per year
"go MTN West, G5, WAC, Big Sky, etc," (your words) means that WSU joins another conference. So we might join the AAC?

"Hybrid P5/G5" is a term and concept in your mind that does not exist.

And please share the source of your $19M and $6,7,8,9,10M I assume media rights numbers?

And yes, it is possible to win your league and go undefeated and still get shut out of a playoff berth. Sincerely, Florida State.

Mikalalas -

You raised some very good points that I hadn't considered. Good point about winning a G5 conference and not making the college football playoff. If Oregon St. and Washington St. reverse merger with the entire MWC, then basically we've relegated ourselves to G5 status. Either of our schools could go 11-1 or 12-0 in the PAC2&MWC and miss the playoffs.

By the way, Oregon St. is having a great year in college sports. Football ended the season ranked about 20. Women's basketball, until recently, was ranked about 10. And we think we have another baseball team that will travel to Omaha and play in the College World Series.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeachPack
Remain apart of a current P4 and be national or become a regional G5. Those are essentially your options based on the article.

Mikalalas -

You raised some very good points that I hadn't considered. Good point about winning a G5 conference and not making the college football playoff. If Oregon St. and Washington St. reverse merger with the entire MWC, then basically we've relegated ourselves to G5 status. Either of our schools could go 11-1 or 12-0 in the PAC2&MWC and miss the playoffs.

By the way, Oregon St. is having a great year in college sports. Football ended the season ranked about 20. Women's basketball, until recently, was ranked about 10. And we think we have another baseball team that will travel to Omaha and play in the College World Series.

All BS aside....who cares about the odds of WSU making the CFP right now? The last time that WSU was actually in the position to make it into a 12 team playoff was 2002. Since 1997, here is our AP ranking at the conclusion of the regular season.

1997: #8
2001: #13
2002: #7
2003: #15
2017: #17
2018: #13

In 22 years since Price left, we wouldn't have made the CFP one time regardless of what league we were in. Sadly, we need to focus more on just enjoying football as football and quit worrying about being better than Group of 5 schools and winning national championships that we weren't winning anyway.

Reactions: LeachPack
By the way, I doubt there's much to this, but it is "out there", so be aware. Someone is speculating that if Florida State and others leave the ACC, then Oregon State and Washington State would be on the short list of teams to help rebuild the ACC. Link here:

College football expansion according to our favorite swimsuit magazine

There is LESS VALUE in joining ACC, once it falls apart.

There is more value to the PAC 2, fallen ACC, MTN West teams, Memphis, USF, Tulane, if the PAC 2, best of the fallen ACC, best of the MTN West(BSU, SDSU, Fresno St, UNLV, Airforce, Utah St, Colorado St, Wyoming), and Memphis, USF, Tulane, form one conference, whether it called PAC X or ACC(PAC X is a bigger, better brand, been around longer, etc, then the ACC), rather, instead of, then rebuilding ACC.

Have no desire to be affiliated with the east coast.

No joining East coast equals less money, no CFP, less bowls, being the equivalent of WAC, BIG SKY, MTN WEST, AAC, CONFERENCE USA, G5, FCS(North Dakotah State type), etc.

I don't want WSU to join East coast in way.

But in a way I do want WSU to join East Coast, because sometimes you have to do what you would normally prefer not to do.

All BS aside....who cares about the odds of WSU making the CFP right now? The last time that WSU was actually in the position to make it into a 12 team playoff was 2002. Since 1997, here is our AP ranking at the conclusion of the regular season.

1997: #8
2001: #13
2002: #7
2003: #15
2017: #17
2018: #13

In 22 years since Price left, we wouldn't have made the CFP one time regardless of what league we were in. Sadly, we need to focus more on just enjoying football as football and quit worrying about being better than Group of 5 schools and winning national championships that we weren't winning anyway.

It's not just about that.

It's about CFP, BETTER BOWLS, BETTER BOWL ACCESS, MORE MONEY, ABOUT, AROUND 17,18,19,20 MIL PER TEAM PER YEAR, INSTEAD OF ONLY 6,7,8,9,10 MIL PER TEAM PER YEAR, ALL THAT COMBINED TOGETHER.

By the way, I doubt there's much to this, but it is "out there", so be aware. Someone is speculating that if Florida State and others leave the ACC, then Oregon State and Washington State would be on the short list of teams to help rebuild the ACC. Link here:

College football expansion according to our favorite swimsuit magazine
Replying to multiple posts here (since I am sooo efficient):

Dave - good link. So next year the ACC will have 17 teams+ND sans football. I'm not sure what North Carolina bring to make them more appealing than some of the other ACC teams, but whatever. I did find the comment about how WSU, OSU and Traitor 1&2 could form a "pod" with SMU to reduce coast to coast travel. Yah - Dallas is over 1400 miles from Pullman, 1600+ from Portland. But whatever again. The other 3 teams (4 with UConn) make way more sense than WSU or OSU, other than we were (are) P5 teams. Rutgers is the only former G5 to go to the B1G, SEC has none. Big 12 has several now. ACC has what - Louisville?

Alto - I am with you 100% on this and will always be - no East Coast

Mik - would you just stop with the Big Sky/FCS destination bullshit?

All - I just don't buy this "pending" ACC implosion. Even losing FSU, Clemson and NC, They will have 14 teams. Why would they implode, and who the hell would want the other teams anyway? They can add USF, Memphis, etc. or simply don't do anything. They are already relegated to P4 second string status along with the Big-12. They won't get kicked out of that. No way in hell is some sort of cobbled together mish-mash of teams from 4 conferences (looking at you Mik) preferable to the ACC OR the AAC teams.

LoyalCoug1 -

I'm with you: I have no interest in seeing the PAC-2 join an east coast conference, or rebuilding the PAC-12 by grabbing east coast schools. Oregon State's athletic director Scott Barnes has stated that he wants Oregon St. to remain in a west coast conference, which I support.

SMU is at the limit travel wise of what I'd want to see Oregon St. put its student athletes through. A Calford, SMU, OSU, & WSU pod is an interesting idea that would deal with some travel concerns, but not all of them.

Tulane, Memphis, USF probably aren't interested in rebuilding the PAC-12. They'll sit tight and wait for the ACC to add more teams in the future, if that happens. I've tried to follow Florida State's efforts to leave the ACC, and it's difficult to tell if they'll be able to accomplish that in the next year or two.

Now, the problem I personally have is that I also don't like the idea of a reverse merger with the MWC. Consequently, I support what Oregon St. and Washington St. appear to be doing and that is waiting for a better opportunity than joining the MWC.

A couple of Jon Wilner links from SPORTS360AZ:

What is the more likely way for Washington State and Oregon State to become automatic qualifiers (AQs) for the College Football Playoff in 2026 and beyond: Rebuild the Pac-12 with castaways from the ACC or gain membership to another power conference? — @CelestialMosh
Wilner Mailbag (scroll down 60%)

Future of Wilner Hotline video

Dave

PS This thread has 4K+ views? It was just 600 a few days ago...

Today you can accuse me of needing to "get a life" and spending too much time on conference realignment.

The ultimate source of this info is John Canzano. As an Oregon Stater, I have my concerns about some of Canzano's reporting. But Canzano and Wilner seem to be doing the best job of anyone on the west coast on following conference realignment.

The links below are reddit threads, which you can access.

CANZANO #1: Cal & Stanford see the ACC as a short term solution. (Of course, they probably want B1G membership before helping to rebuild the PAC-12.)

ACC short term solution

CANZANO #2: Cal & Stanford will not share a conference with Boise St. & Fresno St.

Why are we not surprised

Last edited:
Wow. Should almost start a new thread for this.

In the spirit of the ultimate rumor, John Canzano said in his radio show that on June 30th, 4 or 5 MWC schools will accept invites from the PAC-12. Suspected schools are Boise St, Fresno St, Colorado St., San Diego St, and UNLV.

John Canzano says per Mountain West board

Reddit thread of the same thing

Edit: Of course, remember who John Canzano is. I'm doing internet searches trying to confirm this and haven't found anything.

Last edited:

In the spirit of the ultimate rumor, John Canzano said in his radio show that on June 30th, 4 or 5 MWC schools will accept invites from the PAC-12. Suspected schools are Boise St, Fresno St, Colorado St., San Diego St, and UNLV.

Edit: Of course, remember who John Canzano is. I'm doing internet searches trying to confirm this and haven't found anything.
No f-ing way. So who else do we get? Someone stated that Stanford and Cal would never be in a conference with BSU and FSU. Hell I don't want to be in a conference with BSU.

No f-ing way. So who else do we get? Someone stated that Stanford and Cal would never be in a conference with BSU and FSU. Hell I don't want to be in a conference with BSU.

Rice, Tulsa, UTSA, are rumored targets according to the link in his post.

Tulsa, UTSA, is semi good, semi ok, but Rice might be semi ok at best, if that.

If Memphis, Tulane, don't join ACC, I'd rather have one of them over Rice.

Yes Rice is closer geographically then Memphis, Tulane,

But Rice is better then the bottom 3 MTN West teams, but not better then Airforce. I would rather have Airforce over Rice, and Utah St, over Tulsa, UTSA.

BSU altho stinky academically, is athletically one of the best, if not best G5 program in the country, and geographically a good fit. Being too concerned about academics, and sticking up noses at BSU types academically is one of the reasons the PAC disintintigrated.

Also these are the rumored, suspected targets.

Canzano is more saying that that they are going to do my idea that I have suggested, with slightly different suspected targets.

Your probably not going to find anything to back up Canzano, on, about this.

That does not mean that this won't happen, that Canzano wrong. It just means either Canzano is passing along semi legit rumors, or has a semi legit source that hasn't come forth yet.

Canzano is usually pretty credible, legit, so if Canzano is saying it, and since Canzano said it, then it's probably pretty close, at least semi credible, semi legit, even if you don't find anything to back up what he is saying.

If it's 5 schools then the Pac-2 only has to pay the MWC $55 million per the Withdrawal Fees per the Scheduling Agreement. Not too bad. Then those 5 schools have to pay for their exit fees of close to $20 million each. Sounds reasonable. MWC will be crying a river over that $155 million dollar income.

Good luck with that Mr. Canzano.

If it's 5 schools then the Pac-2 only has to pay the MWC $55 million per the Withdrawal Fees per the Scheduling Agreement. Not too bad. Then those 5 schools have to pay for their exit fees of close to $20 million each. Sounds reasonable. MWC will be crying a river over that $155 million dollar income.

Good luck with that Mr. Canzano.
Tongue in cheek I assume Meister. If the Pac-2 even has $55 million (numbers are still mystical if not mythical), we are far better off banking it and using it to backfill upcoming revenue reductions while it lasts.

All -

I have looked all over and can't find where Canzano himself is saying that if OSU & WSU don't land in a P4 conference by the end of June, then invitations will be given to 5 MWC schools to join the PAC-12. So, apparently Canzano reported this on his website, which has a paywall.

(I have my reasons for not wanting to buy a subscription to Canzano's website.)

I'll tap into my network of Oregon State buddies, some of whom are well connected, and see if anyone knows more about what's going on. Otherwise, June 30th is only 3.5 months away.

The Canzano rumor is consistent with what we've read both Kirk Schulz and OSU AD Scott Barnes say, and that is they want our schools in a west coast conference. I had lunch yesterday with 4 of my Beaver buddies and no one, absolutely no one, is interested in a merger with the entire MWC.

All -

I have looked all over and can't find where Canzano himself is saying that if OSU & WSU don't land in a P4 conference by the end of June, then invitations will be given to 5 MWC schools to join the PAC-12. So, apparently Canzano reported this on his website, which has a paywall.

(I have my reasons for not wanting to buy a subscription to Canzano's website.)

I'll tap into my network of Oregon State buddies, some of whom are well connected, and see if anyone knows more about what's going on. Otherwise, June 30th is only 3.5 months away.

The Canzano rumor is consistent with what we've read both Kirk Schulz and OSU AD Scott Barnes say, and that is they want our schools in a west coast conference. I had lunch yesterday with 4 of my Beaver buddies and no one, absolutely no one, is interested in a merger with the entire MWC.
Whether we're interested or not, there aren't that many options. If OSU/WSU want to stay in a west coast conference...there is no other option. It's MWC or independence...and independence will bring very little money, no shot at anything above a mid-tier bowl, and probably a reduction in programs.

Whether we're interested or not, there aren't that many options. If OSU/WSU want to stay in a west coast conference...there is no other option. It's MWC or independence...and independence will bring very little money, no shot at anything above a mid-tier bowl, and probably a reduction in programs.

FALSE. There is other options then a Reverse Merger with ENTIRE MWC, or independence

Option: WSU, OSU, PAC 2 invite, get BSU, SDSU, Fresno St, UNLV, Airforce, and Tulane, Memphis, Rice, UTSA, Tulsa. There is the PAC money, and 2 years to pay the MTN West for BSU, Fresno St, UNLV, Airforce. And can take 1 less MTN West teams, to cut down the money to MTN West. Also if WSU, OSU, PAC 2 waits about 2 years the exit fee departing MTN West teams departing the MTN West pay to MTN West, go away. That's less money the PAC 2 would have to pay. Tulane, Memphis, Rice, Tulsa is in the southwest to South Midwest, and the PAC would be a western conference. Then maybe Cal joins when ACC falls apart. Then maybe Iowa St get the boot, and join the PAC

Option: WSU, OSU, PAC 2 have the top 9 BEST MTN West teams vote to dissolve the MTN West, and leave the bottom 3 worst MTN West programs behind to join PAC.

The PAC adds Memphis, Tulane, Rice, Tulsa.

Then maybe Cal joins when ACC falls apart. Then maybe Iowa St get booted, join the PAC

The PAC can rebuild into a western hybrid G5/Semi P5, and can rebuild into a western conference without taking ALL, THE ENTIRE MWC, and can cherry pick rebuild the PAC into a western conference

If the PAC does a reverse merger with the whole, entire MWC, then WSU, OSU, PAC 2, might as well quit, give up, join the MWC, Big West, WAC, etc, which would be a equally as silly of a idea as merging the whole MWC, into the PAC.

FALSE. There is other options then a Reverse Merger with ENTIRE MWC, or independence

Option: WSU, OSU, PAC 2 invite, get BSU, SDSU, Fresno St, UNLV, Airforce, and Tulane, Memphis, Rice, UTSA, Tulsa. There is the PAC money, and 2 years to pay the MTN West for BSU, Fresno St, UNLV, Airforce. And can take 1 less MTN West teams, to cut down the money to MTN West. Also if WSU, OSU, PAC 2 waits about 2 years the exit fee departing MTN West teams departing the MTN West pay to MTN West, go away. That's less money the PAC 2 would have to pay. Tulane, Memphis, Rice, Tulsa is in the southwest to South Midwest, and the PAC would be a western conference. Then maybe Cal joins when ACC falls apart. Then maybe Iowa St get the boot, and join the PAC

Option: WSU, OSU, PAC 2 have the top 9 BEST MTN West teams vote to dissolve the MTN West, and leave the bottom 3 worst MTN West programs behind to join PAC.

The PAC adds Memphis, Tulane, Rice, Tulsa.

Then maybe Cal joins when ACC falls apart. Then maybe Iowa St get booted, join the PAC

The PAC can rebuild into a western hybrid G5/Semi P5, and can rebuild into a western conference without taking ALL, THE ENTIRE MWC, and can cherry pick rebuild the PAC into a western conference

If the PAC does a reverse merger with the whole, entire MWC, then WSU, OSU, PAC 2, might as well quit, give up, join the MWC, Big West, WAC, etc, which would be a equally as silly of a idea as merging the whole MWC, into the PAC.
All options that are even slightly realistic include some portion of the MWC. And so far, the MWC has shown no interest in splitting up.

Time and cash may change that, but MWC rules require 9 of them to vote to approve anything. No sort of merger is happening without those 9 votes...which means at least 9 members would be included. MWC teams could leave the conference to join WSU/OSU (I don't remember what that would cost, and don't care enough to check - it's a lot less if they give a certain amount of notice though)

I may never understand your fixation with Memphis, Tulane, Rice, and Tulsa. They bring even less than the Mt. West does. And none of them are remotely close to being "west coast."

95, I'm starting to grow tired of having someone on this board actually agree with the supreme wisdom of the mighty and all-knowing Loyal One. It's taking the fun out of it. You need to stop posting. :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT