ADVERTISEMENT

Rounding out the Class

TrumpCoug

Team Captain
Jul 18, 2019
17 known verbals to date. By my count we have 23 open slots, which means we will take a full class of 25. Where are the needs as we close in on early signing periods.

1 QB
2 RB
2 WR - add 1
2 OT - add 1
2 OG/C
2 DT
1 DE - add 1
0 LB Inside - add 2
0 LB Outside - add 2
1 LB Rush
1 CB - add 1
3 S

Jayden De Laura QB
Jyden King RB
Marshawn Buchanan RB
Joey Hobert WR
Cedric Pellum WR
Julian Ripley OT
James McNorton OT
Devin Kylany OG
Dylan Mayginnes OG
Nathanial James DT
Justin Lohrenz DT
Johnny Walked LB Rush
Moon Ashby DE
Justin Anderson CB
Alaka'i Gilman S
Hunter Escorcia S
Jackson Lataimua S

They prob need to put more $ into DBs to make the position group go. Same way they put $ into the OL to get the talent they needed.

Any rumblings about this QB commit? He got a couple big boy offers, but haven't heard much since. Guess it's a good sign he didn't immediately decommit.

Good to see a couple DT commits and the usual 4 OL.

To round out the class, I wouldn't mind another 2 of those big kids, then probably fill out the rest with CBs.

Any rumblings about this QB commit? He got a couple big boy offers, but haven't heard much since. Guess it's a good sign he didn't immediately decommit.

To round out the class, I wouldn't mind another 2 of those big kids, then probably fill out the rest with CBs.
DBs and LBs that can run and tackle

In order of what we never have enough of:

1.) Any good looking DT, no matter how many we may have already in the class.
2.) Any good looking CB, no matter how many we may have already in the class.
3.) Any good looking & tall WR, no " " " " " " ". " ".
4.) We always need one good MLB prospect in the same way that we always need one good QB prospect. We get the QB's; we don't always get the MLB.
5.) CML prefers 5 OL; and for good reason; but we could live with 4 occasionally if it frees up needed space.
6.) From a numbers perspective we generally get our good RB, a couple of OLB's, a couple of Safeties and a DE or two.

For this specific class, we need the MLB. Two would be better. We need another CB. Get those and I think the rest takes care of itself at this point.

CJ Stroud QB out of SoCal appears to be a lean toward Ohio State. I don't see De Laura committing to the Buckeyes. USC could be in the hunt unless their new AD fires Helton.

I could see De Laura not signing with us in the early signing period and waiting until LOI day in Feb to make his decision.

Everything I hear and see on Twitter is that De Laura is solid with us as long as we stay true to our word and don't offer another qb in this class. Signing day can't come soon enough.

CJ Stroud QB out of SoCal appears to be a lean toward Ohio State. I don't see De Laura committing to the Buckeyes. USC could be in the hunt unless their new AD fires Helton.

I could see De Laura not signing with us in the early signing period and waiting until LOI day in Feb to make his decision.

I've been thinking about that too. That would be rolling the dice. Offers could disappear, and he could end up some place he hasn't really considered that needs a QB.

He's gotta know that he's already behind the 5 star dude tOSU brings in for 2021 and that Helton's successor will be handpicking a QB in the 2021 class to start as soon as he gets to campus.

I've been thinking about that too. That would be rolling the dice. Offers could disappear, and he could end up some place he hasn't really considered that needs a QB.

He's gotta know that he's already behind the 5 star dude tOSU brings in for 2021 and that Helton's successor will be handpicking a QB in the 2021 class to start as soon as he gets to campus.

and the WSU job is wide open next year. No one coming back with 1 snap of experience. He may be a strong redshirt candidate but I’ll bet in his mind he thinks he can win the job, and who knows, he might.

I/We/Coug Nation hopes he signs early. With the fickle nature of recruits who knows how this plays this out. Hoping our safety commit from the islands is in his ear on a daily basis.

I can't remember...Did Tua redshirt down at Bama or did he start by end of the year as a true freshman?? Not saying De Laura and Tua are the same, but their high school is very similar to Air Raid. Shot gun four wide....plus the nice thing about De Laura is that he has a really strong arm and lots of mobility. Don't know if a freshman has ever played for Leach before. I know Harrell started as a soph.

Reactions: BiggsCoug

I'm hoping for big DE's and larger linebackers.

I can't remember...Did Tua redshirt down at Bama or did he start by end of the year as a true freshman?? Not saying De Laura and Tua are the same, but their high school is very similar to Air Raid. Shot gun four wide....plus the nice thing about De Laura is that he has a really strong arm and lots of mobility. Don't know if a freshman has ever played for Leach before. I know Harrell started as a soph.
Next year's QB battle will probably be the most interesting one we've seen in recent history at WSU. If I had to pick who I think would be our next QB, I would probably go with Cooper. Got a stud RT (not that it means anything but it helps with a lefty QB) and he has the most time in the system between what has to be the two front runners in Gunner Cruz and Cammon Cooper.

I'm hoping for big DE's and larger linebackers.
Curious why'd you'd want bigger LBs? Seems like we'd be better off with the 215-220 lb guy that runs like a deer and can go sideline to sideline, in the mold of a Childs/Hayes/Gleason-type guy? I understand the curb appeal of a 240 pound LB, but I guess I just don't see the need since virtually all the RB's in this conference tend to be the small/fast shifty guys (e.g., Gaskins, Ahmed), and with the proliferation of passing in the P12 I see faster, more mobile LB's being more beneficial than the hulks that schools like Bammy recruit.

I would like to see the Louisiana pipeline continue. And the Samoa one too for that matter. Freddie will be done. Martin and Beekman will be seniors.

First and foremost I trust the coaches to keep bringing in great kids

Curious why'd you'd want bigger LBs? Seems like we'd be better off with the 215-220 lb guy that runs like a deer and can go sideline to sideline, in the mold of a Childs/Hayes/Gleason-type guy? I understand the curb appeal of a 240 pound LB, but I guess I just don't see the need since virtually all the RB's in this conference tend to be the small/fast shifty guys (e.g., Gaskins, Ahmed), and with the proliferation of passing in the P12 I see faster, more mobile LB's being more beneficial than the hulks that schools like Bammy recruit.

Kinda depends on what we're doing on defense. Those 215 pound LBs can't be fighting off blockers all game. Stanford seems to be fading away from the power running game, and who knows what's happening at USC. So, we could see Oregon and to a lesser extent uw as teams that really run heavy sets.

As previously stated, I wonder if they will move toward a 4-2-5, with two legit interior DTs. We're kind of doing it right now with two ends and a LB at the LOS anyway. Hobbs. McDougle, Echevarria and Crowder on paper could be those guys. Plus we seem to have some tweener types (Mejia (270), Garay-Harris (255) Sheetz (250) and Jackson (252)) that might be able to get there.

I'm not saying all linebackers...maybe 4 of 12. San Diego State has 2 6-3 230 linebackers starting with a 6-0 235 MLB and have the 8th ranked defense in the nation.

I'm not saying all linebackers...maybe 4 of 12. San Diego State has 2 6-3 230 linebackers starting with a 6-0 235 MLB and have the 8th ranked defense in the nation.
Hey, I'll take a Mark Fields or two if we can get them on campus:cool:

Remaining spots should leave us with a balanced class overall.

2 WR: Connor O'Toole, DJ Rogers, Keyshawn Smith, or a decommit as a result of a coaching change.
0-1 Grad Transfer QB: TBD
1 OL: Leif Magnuson or Jake Griffin
1-2 DL: Tyler Weigs or Gabriel Lopez
0-1 LB: Sione Fotu seems like a Longshot
2-3 DB's: Edward Woods, Justin Hodges, Darryl Porter, or Caine Savage

What's the JC ranks looking like this year? And where is Fro to provide us with that info? I mean, so many kids have to alter their routes to FBS level due to whatever circumstances they are dealing with at the time. I feel like the JC could be more lucrative to us if we wanted it to be. I am not saying to take a 1/3 of your yearly recruits from there, but you could easily get about 2-3 guys that could fill the holes right away. We did do that with our DBs this year

Remaining spots should leave us with a balanced class overall.

2 WR: Connor O'Toole, DJ Rogers, Keyshawn Smith, or a decommit as a result of a coaching change.
0-1 Grad Transfer QB: TBD
1 OL: Leif Magnuson or Jake Griffin
1-2 DL: Tyler Weigs or Gabriel Lopez
0-1 LB: Sione Fotu seems like a Longshot
2-3 DB's: Edward Woods, Justin Hodges, Darryl Porter, or Caine Savage

Strong list! O'Toole would be a great get, so would J. Hodges and/or Darryl Porter. Another grad transfer QB...who did you have in mind?

I would like to see couple of DT s in the 6'5 270 pound range Every time they seemingly recruit a 6'0 250 NT . If they recruit a D Lineman with size they seem to end up as third string O Linemen.

Next year's QB battle will probably be the most interesting one we've seen in recent history at WSU. If I had to pick who I think would be our next QB, I would probably go with Cooper. Got a stud RT (not that it means anything but it helps with a lefty QB) and he has the most time in the system between what has to be the two front runners in Gunner Cruz and Cammon Cooper.
Gunner has won several practice awards. I went back to find them and the twitter feed is just too long. Gunner is not someone to look past. I know Cooper has the big body but apparently Cruz has quite the arm.

Regardless, yes. Next year is going to be fun to watch

Any defense plz
If you take the numeral 41/11 3.72 x position player. You'd have 15 DL, 11LB and 15 DB's. Right now I'm counting 9 defensive linemen on scholarship. Hobbs, Jackson, Rodgers, Mejia, Crowder, Kwete, Harris, Mcdougle and Sheetz. Unless a couple of walk-ons emerge ...they seem pretty short on the DL.

Last edited:
If you take the numeral 41/11 3.72 x position player. You'd have 15 DL, 11LB and 15 DB's. Right now I'm counting 10 defensive linemen on scholarship. Hobbs, Lewis, Jackson, Rodgers, Mejia, Crowder, Kwete, Harris, Mcdougle and Sheetz. Unless a couple of walk-ons emerge ...they seem pretty short on the DL.

I don't think Dylan Lewis is on scholarship (yet). That being said I think he has a great frame and motor. He will be a beast down the road just needs more strength/weight/reps.

He was a bad mofo

MarkFields_94.jpg

I don't think Dylan Lewis is on scholarship (yet). That being said I think he has a great frame and motor. He will be a beast down the road just needs more strength/weight/reps.
Thanks...thinking of Sheetz who came in lastly? There's a couple other walk-ons with good size already and then Jesus.

Finger, I'm with you on this for outside LB's. That is the only way to go, and you might even be able to persuade me that a big safety is a good choice, at least in some situations.

But for a true MLB or any ILB who is called upon to fulfill that job, he will be going up against a guard that knows where the play is going and who (if the play is designed right) will have a bit of an angle. Tough job for a 215-220 pound guy to do that for a full game. You might be able to convince me that we could have a Rush LB/DE hybrid who you could move into an ILB slot for short yardage...maybe with the right guy you could do that. Back in the day, an MLB was fast enough if he could cover a TE. Today, with all the crossing/mesh routes, that is no longer true; but if you are up against a team with a good rushing attack, it is tough to defend the field with a 220 pound MLB.

Finger, I'm with you on this for outside LB's. That is the only way to go, and you might even be able to persuade me that a big safety is a good choice, at least in some situations.

But for a true MLB or any ILB who is called upon to fulfill that job, he will be going up against a guard that knows where the play is going and who (if the play is designed right) will have a bit of an angle. Tough job for a 215-220 pound guy to do that for a full game. You might be able to convince me that we could have a Rush LB/DE hybrid who you could move into an ILB slot for short yardage...maybe with the right guy you could do that. Back in the day, an MLB was fast enough if he could cover a TE. Today, with all the crossing/mesh routes, that is no longer true; but if you are up against a team with a good rushing attack, it is tough to defend the field with a 220 pound MLB.
In my simple world, our Dlinemen are occupying the Olinemen so that our LBs aren't having to take on a 300 pound guy 3-4 yards past the line. Wishful thinking maybe, but a guy can dream.

I hope we hit the portal hard and get a transfer lb, wr and a db. Mosiah Kite would be a huge jc dt pickup. Was at UW originally now at a JC back in the Midwest. Big strong Poly kid who can really explode off the line.
O'toole would be huge. But I wouldn't really mind if they just use the rest of openings on defense. Would really like to see Fotu commit. Seems like we might get a visit from Arkansas decommit wr. Impressive film. We are after lots of florida kids. Bellantoni is an active recruiter as is Mcbath, Spurrier and Mele. Interesting recruit Austin Bolt from Idaho. His stats are like video game numbers. Would like to see him as a big safety.

The DE out of Calabasas (harris maybe??) And Lopez would be top 5 wishlist. Lopez is Nevada's all time sack leader. Plays against biggest schools in Vegas too. Calabasas DE plays in a great league and had over 20+ sacks this season. Both tall DEs who have the frame to get up to 260.

I hope we hit the portal hard and get a transfer lb, wr and a db. Mosiah Kite would be a huge jc dt pickup. Was at UW originally now at a JC back in the Midwest. Big strong Poly kid who can really explode off the line.
O'toole would be huge. But I wouldn't really mind if they just use the rest of openings on defense. Would really like to see Fotu commit. Seems like we might get a visit from Arkansas decommit wr. Impressive film. We are after lots of florida kids. Bellantoni is an active recruiter as is Mcbath, Spurrier and Mele. Interesting recruit Austin Bolt from Idaho. His stats are like video game numbers. Would like to see him as a big safety.
Mosiah Kite is the perfect candidate with some good smaller programs who know their stuff plus Maryland, Oregon State and Arizona. Fits the type of recruit we should be on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT