ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATED: Defensive coordinator search (1/12, 9:50 a.m.)

britton ransford

Hall Of Fame
Oct 23, 2012
As Mike Leach searches for his next defensive coordinator, I'll use this thread to provide updates on what has been a quiet search thus far. Several targets are already off the board and there has been hardly any leaks as the search pushes into its sixth week.

Monday, Jan. 5 updates
-Washington State athletic director Bill Moos, on his weekly radio show with Bud Nameck, says he's hopeful there will be a defensive coordinator in place "this week or early next week, at the latest." Moos added that he's been in contact with candidates and he expects the hire to be an impressive one.

-Houston defensive coordinator David Gibbs has been a rumored candidate but it appears he's close to agreeing to take the same job at Texas Tech, according to FootballScoop.com.

-It's official, David Gibbs has been named the Texas Tech defensive coordinator.

-A report came out yesterday, also from FootballScoop.com, that Mike Leach "visited" with Louisiana Tech defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently, though he's likely to interview for the open Miss. St. defensive coordinator job.

-Manny Diaz has officially been named the Mississippi State defensive coordinator. His deal, according to multiple reports, is for three years and $1.8 million.

-According to a press release, Houston has hired Utah State defensive coordinator Todd Orlando to the same position. Orlando was another name rumored to be a potential candidate for the Washington State opening.

Tuesday, Jan. 6 updates-Jacob Thorpe of the Spokesman Review tweeted tonight that he "heard a candidate is being interviewed on Thursday." Working to see if I can gather any additional information.

-
FootballScoop.com tweeted today they're "hearing the hire is still a few days out." I haven't been able to confirm a timeline. I would expect this to wrapped up soon, however, which would mesh with Moos' comments yesterday.Wednesday, Jan. 7 updates-Jacob Thorpe of the Spokesman Review reported today that he hears the next defensive coordinator may be a "young and hungry" coach. Mike Leach is expected to interview a "preferred candidate" tomorrow, according to Thorpe.

Thursday, Jan. 8 updates-Former USC defensive coordinator Clancy Pendergast is "in the running (with a small number of others)" for the vacant Washington State defensive coordinator job, according to a FootballScoop.com report.

-On Twitter tonight, FootballScoop.com, who seems to be the most tuned in to the Washington State defensive coordinator search, says they checked in on the search this morning and "it sounded like it was a few days out."

The account then responded to a Twitter user who mentioned that the lack of news was "weird," to which FootballScoop.com said "It would be great if he had a great hire already; but I'd rather see him be diligent and get one he believes in than rush and just get a guy." I've been sayin', guys.
Friday, Jan. 9 updates-According to a Twitter report by AggieUp.com, a Utah State fan site, Hawaii defensive coordinator Kevin Clune "is a leading candidate DC candidate at Washington State." It's an interesting name, though one that doesn't make a ton of sense, however anyone who interviews at this juncture would likely be considered a "leading candidate," regardless.

Hawaii's defense in 2014 was very comparable to Washington State's and the secondary and sack numbers were very underwhelming. It appears Utah State fans have been wanting Clune to return as the defensive coordinator replacing Todd Orlando, who left for the Houston job. I'll see if I can gather additional information.

Monday, Jan. 12 updates-According to a radio report from FootballScoop.com yesterday, Washington State is expected to hire a defensive coordinator "tomorrow or the next day." That would fall in line with what others and I have been hearing over the last few days. Here's the full transcript of FootballScoop's radio session talking Washington State and a potential front-running in Clancy Pendergast.

"Mike is interviewing guys this weeked. He had a guy in, I think, Thursday, had a guy in Friday, I think he's got a guy today, I think he might have one more. This one might be the one where Clancy Pendergast actually gets hired. You know, Clancy was the former USC defensive coordinator; he's been all over the place. I know down in Baton Rouge, he was initially to have been involved there, but Im' not too sure that ever really was the case. But for Clancy, this one might be the right fit for [him]. He's a known commodity up there, knows the Pac-12. When people were talking about the LSU search, I said 'that doesn't make any sense.' He has no current SEC knowledge and, you know, at a school like LSU you need somebody that knows the current SEC. Clancy knows the Pac-12 and he knows it inside and out. This could be the one that he gets. But, Mike had some very impressive guys that he's been interviewing, bringing in an aggressive, blitzing front. I'm excited to see who Mike ends up settling on, and I think you will hear that tomorrow or the next day, you're going to have someone hired there."

This post was edited on 1/13 11:51 PM by Britton Ransford

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News