ADVERTISEMENT

What is Due for WSU?

And you know who was a Defensive backs coach with no DC experience when he got to WSU.... Mike ZImmer. (Fun fact he started out at Missouri too)
OK..but that is hardly "building a machine" when the DC has no experience. He could also lay an egg..so its not like when have someone who is established at the position.

Maybe he could be the next Zimmer who knows...but having a DC with no experience in the PAC 12 is a little unsettling

OK..but that is hardly "building a machine" when the DC has no experience. He could also lay an egg..so its not like when have someone who is established at the position.

Maybe he could be the next Zimmer who knows...but having a DC with no experience in the PAC 12 is a little unsettling

Sure, but I think Grinch is a smart guy. Everything I've seen in interviews and behind the scenes says he knows what he's doing. How that translates to gameday is something we will have to see, but I haven't seen anything that worries me about him from a fundamental/philosophy standpoint. He doesn't have to make us a good defense his very first year. If we are just mediocre that'll probably do enough to get us to 6+ wins.

Grinch, I agree is a clear upgrade. I would welcome an aggressive attacking defense. Coach Joe sounds extremely optimistic as well... there are encouraging signs, no doubt.

You
Who said I didn't enjoy what he did? But Price had a lot of losing seasons in between...A LOT. That's the truth. I understand exactly how he built it. It was very clear how he built it, but it wasn't bowl bowl bowl bowl every year with Price, and anyone that hold Leach to that standard is absolutely hypocritical.
It is funny... I have said I will be patient, but I totally get where the segment of the fan base that isn't patient. What is hypocritical is people who have said to those who support the theory of it takes five years to rebuild the program that they are the problem and that are the losers and now we have paid a D1 coach with a much better resume than Price walked in here with and saying our expectations should be compared to the early on results of that coach. The purpose in paying market wage, paying a high profile coach is to get better results than a coach who came from eastern or Weber State.

So while personally I am patient, I get those who are not.

Last edited:
Mike Price won because Mike Price recruited great players. When we had a down year it was always because we lost seniors and had nobody left, and had to wait till we could get more great players. It's how it was with Price. He was a great great coach, but we had lots and lots of down years because as you said...start over.... Programs that are built of sustained success don't have to do that. They just reload. That's how when you get to the top...you stay there.

It happened with our coaching hires after price. We had no plan. And then we essentially have to start over again with Leach.

Yes Leach has a supportive administration, but that doesn't change the fact that we had already run the program into the dirt. You can get the greatest of builders to a burned out building, but it's still a burned out building on arrival. Yes we can lay a new slab. Yes we can build the frame. But it still is a long way from a house again.

What I for see now is that once we have the house this time we won't be able to burn it down like we did after Price. It will be something long standing, and we can bring in lots of coaches from around the country, and when they walk in...it's a roster full of kids that know the system...it's a roster full of players that can compete with anybody in the Pac-12. It's a team that knows what it's like to go to bowl games, and come from behind and win games...A team that knows how to win, has won, and can do it again.

We've never had that...I guess you could say that first year with Doba? But we all saw what happened afterwards.
What Mike Price did was identify great talent. For the most part they weren't highly recruited. Drew Bledsoe was a highly recruited athlete. But Leaf was not. You know where Dennis wanted to play him---at TE.

So for 1997, you had Michael Black. His personal problems were a strike against him and he wasn't highly recruited. None of the Fab five were highly recruited. McEndoo was the highest recruited olineman. They had two walkons starting up front. Defensively, GAry Holmes was ready to go to Boise State. Shane Doyle, he wasn't highly rercruited. Leon would have been but grades. Rob Meiers? Gleason? Boose was 210 pounds and a grade problem coming out of high school. Dee Moronkola wasn't highly recruited. Brandon Moore would have been but he was a prop 48. We started a walkon at MLB. What Price made a huge living at is getting MWC kids, kids for the most part the Pac 10 did not want, for sure the upper division of the PAc 10 did not want, then moved them to a spot where they could contribute.

In terms of a plan, Price had his assistant take over, and left Doba with his OC in title, plus his recruiting coordinator. Plans very rarely work because the talent is with the head guy. The staff dynamics change when Price is not on it. And which Leach guy would you hope to be a head coach after a nice long career by Leach at WSU? Kliff K? Dana? While they were great coordinators being the head guy has not been overly kind to these guys.

You

It is funny... I have said I will be patient, but I totally get where the segment of the fan base that isn't patient. What is hypocritical is people who have said to those who support the theory of it takes five years to rebuild the program that they are the problem and that are the losers and now we have paid a D1 coach with a much better resume than Price walked in here with and saying our expectations should be compared to the early on results of that coach. The purpose in paying market wage, paying a high profile coach is to get better rults than a coach who came from eastern or Weber State.

So while personally I am patient, I get those who are not.

- It's 2015. Money is supposed to be spent on football. Nobody goes and gets FCS coaches for HC of BCS schools.
RichRod - Former Michigan/WVU coach
Graham - Former Pittsburgh coach
Jim Mora - Former Falcons HC coach
Sarkisian - Former UW HC
Sonny Dykes - Former La Tech HC
Peterson - Former Boise HC
Helfrich - Oregon OC - Promotion within
Andersen - Former Wisconsin HC
Kyle Whittingham - Former Ute DC - Promotion within
Mike Mcintyre - Former San Jose State HC
David Shaw - Former NFL Assistant / Stanford OC - Promotion within

Not a single one. Not one. is an FCS coach hire. We were the only program dumb enough to try that in the modern BCS era. It isn't 1980's/1990s program running anymore.

WSU had to hire someone who would come here and take our already light years behind team and rebuild it into something competitive for the Pac-12. And as I said before...no respectable successful coach would come to WSU because unless they know how to do it...we were screwed.

That's why Leach was given the rolling contract. This wasn't a oh 1 year we will be so good thing...no...this was a long term project rebuild. That's why Leach came in and was tough on the players when he showed up. We needed to strip most of the roster. We were okay until the secondary graduated and then we just had the young new guys last year, and the kicker situation.

That's what set us back, but those are roster issues that can be sorted. Leach is looking to upgrade his coaches and he took the opportunity to do so. I still don't know about Mele, but he has more energy than Russell does for sure.

We were never going anywhere with Wulff. When the arms race started in 2012 do you think he would have been able to beat Graham, Mora, RichRod etc? No way. They would have crushed us, and he was dead in year 5 year six year 7 etc. and the gap would have been even bigger.

Wulff was given 4 years and the most he got us with 4 wins.
Leach so far has had 3 and he's gotten us six... while battling the arms race...and beating Sark,Whittingham, RichRod, Kiffin, Riley
It was either upgrade or try to win with Cal Poly, Northern Colorado, Eastern recruits .... it wasn't going to happen.

Our staff right now has 3 NFL players, 1 SEC East Champion Assistant, Michigan Assistant, Heisman candidate, Superbowl QB College Coach, Missouri OC, and 2008 Coach of the Year as the Headman...

Just look at that...and people think that we won't snap out of it... like I said..1-2 watch..WSU is going to blow up in a big way, and once it's set...we'll be a huge threat every single year.... but we still were playing with a soap box derby team...while everybody else had a ferrari, and no matter the coaching pedigree or money...it wasn't going to change until our new car is finished being built int he garage.

Reactions: MikeFingLeach
Great observation Observer :)

I'm in show me mode as well. Until I see at least an attempt to run the ball and db's that show up on the tv screen and a special teams that isn't quite so special, then maybe I'll have some kool aid.

'Til then, it's like the yearly "we've worked harder this summer than ever before" annual puff pieces on brand x.

You can see from inside there?

- It's 2015. Money is supposed to be spent on football. Nobody goes and gets FCS coaches for HC of BCS schools.
RichRod - Former Michigan/WVU coach
Graham - Former Pittsburgh coach
Jim Mora - Former Falcons HC coach
Sarkisian - Former UW HC
Sonny Dykes - Former La Tech HC
Peterson - Former Boise HC
Helfrich - Oregon OC - Promotion within
Andersen - Former Wisconsin HC
Kyle Whittingham - Former Ute DC - Promotion within
Mike Mcintyre - Former San Jose State HC
David Shaw - Former NFL Assistant / Stanford OC - Promotion within

Not a single one. Not one. is an FCS coach hire. We were the only program dumb enough to try that in the modern BCS era. It isn't 1980's/1990s program running anymore.

WSU had to hire someone who would come here and take our already light years behind team and rebuild it into something competitive for the Pac-12. And as I said before...no respectable successful coach would come to WSU because unless they know how to do it...we were screwed.

That's why Leach was given the rolling contract. This wasn't a oh 1 year we will be so good thing...no...this was a long term project rebuild. That's why Leach came in and was tough on the players when he showed up. We needed to strip most of the roster. We were okay until the secondary graduated and then we just had the young new guys last year, and the kicker situation.

That's what set us back, but those are roster issues that can be sorted. Leach is looking to upgrade his coaches and he took the opportunity to do so. I still don't know about Mele, but he has more energy than Russell does for sure.

We were never going anywhere with Wulff. When the arms race started in 2012 do you think he would have been able to beat Graham, Mora, RichRod etc? No way. They would have crushed us, and he was dead in year 5 year six year 7 etc. and the gap would have been even bigger.

Wulff was given 4 years and the most he got us with 4 wins.
Leach so far has had 3 and he's gotten us six... while battling the arms race...and beating Sark,Whittingham, RichRod, Kiffin, Riley
It was either upgrade or try to win with Cal Poly, Northern Colorado, Eastern recruits .... it wasn't going to happen.

Our staff right now has 3 NFL players, 1 SEC East Champion Assistant, Michigan Assistant, Heisman candidate, Superbowl QB College Coach, Missouri OC, and 2008 Coach of the Year as the Headman...

Just look at that...and people think that we won't snap out of it... like I said..1-2 watch..WSU is going to blow up in a big way, and once it's set...we'll be a huge threat every single year.... but we still were playing with a soap box derby team...while everybody else had a ferrari, and no matter the coaching pedigree or money...it wasn't going to change until our new car is finished being built int he garage.
Well the deal in big time football, which you clearly pointed out that is now where the entire Pac 12 is- is that people get hired and fired based on results. That is why there is such big money put forth. It is part of the deal. We can go back and forth about what was or wasn't here, but coaches have enough confidence, that they don't view the job when they take it as this is a soap box derby car and it will take five years to get it up and running. There is no way Leach took this job, looked at the roster and said well be patient, we will be sub .500 for three years. He fully expected to win from day one. And that is just the nature of big time football and big time pay. Do you think Gary Anderson will be around after three years if he is sub .500 for three straight years? Right or wrong, it is how big time football works.

Well the deal in big time football, which you clearly pointed out that is now where the entire Pac 12 is- is that people get hired and fired based on results. That is why there is such big money put forth. It is part of the deal. We can go back and forth about what was or wasn't here, but coaches have enough confidence, that they don't view the job when they take it as this is a soap box derby car and it will take five years to get it up and running. There is no way Leach took this job, looked at the roster and said well be patient, we will be sub .500 for three years. He fully expected to win from day one. And that is just the nature of big time football and big time pay. Do you think Gary Anderson will be around after three years if he is sub .500 for three straight years? Right or wrong, it is how big time football works.
Here's the difference. We haven't played "big time football" for almost a decade. What CML thought when hired is irrelevant. What Moos and the admin thought (the guys that hire/fire) is what matters. And I can guarantee you, they didn't think this was something to be fixed, first year. Was last year a disappointment? Hell yeah. Moos has been open about it, CML has been open about it. But don't make it out like everyone thought this was a quick fix...

Here's the difference. We haven't played "big time football" for almost a decade. What CML thought when hired is irrelevant. What Moos and the admin thought (the guys that hire/fire) is what matters. And I can guarantee you, they didn't think this was something to be fixed, first year. Was last year a disappointment? Hell yeah. Moos has been open about it, CML has been open about it. But don't make it out like everyone thought this was a quick fix...

Exactly. The person is hired to do a job. Programs have varying ideas for what they want to be achieved depending on where they are at.

Teams that are national title/prestige programs want a coach that will compete for a title. (See Michigan hiring Harbaugh)
Teams that are good but are looking for that extra push to become a premiere program look for someone that can raise the stakes.
Teams that are mid tier are looking for someone to take their program to the next level.
Teams that are at the bottom are looking for someone to rebuild.

We were a rebuild team. We had no bowl games for a decade. Leach is making us competitive again. and the goal is a mid tier program first. He's shown he can get us to the post season. Something we haven't done in 10 years. He's going to be here for a while.

What you're saying amounts to handing a construction company 500 million to build a skyscraper and expecting to move in the following year. if we'd hired Saban for a billion-trillion dollars, I doubt the win-loss record would look a whole lot different (assuming he didn't cheat and buy a bunch of mercenaries like he does in 'Bammy).

Well as early as 9/2011 Moos said he liked the look of the team. He went on to say they weren't near a championship team, but liked the pieces of the team. They look like football players. No mention of 260 pound Olineman. No mention of midgets on the dline. This was right after the loss against SDSU and he felt the Cougs had control in the 4th quarter but made too many mistakes.

He then sold the fan base in 2012 there were enough pieces to win in 2012. Win meaning 6-6. Before 2013 he said he expected them to improve, but with the tough schedule he saw improvement but not necessarily a bowl game, and before 2014 he thought there was enough talent to definitely go bowling.

When you say quick fix, 4 wins to six wins is not a big stretch. Especially when you are upgrading the coaching and the Cougs were two plays from being 6-6 in 2011. If you mean by quick fix the depth across the oline would take time in case of injury, totally agree.

So either Moos just wants to pump smoke up everyone's back side, which is entirely possible, or he really believes what he sees, or he has totally lost the ability to analyze what he has or doesn't have. The biggest prediction failure was 2014. But it is clear to many who don't frequent this board, who are asked to donate that Moos over promised and under delivered.

I was working out at the local club and someone came to me and asked me if the over and under for this year is six wins, and I had to bet money that would hurt to lose, which way would I go? I said under. I think the Cougs will finish 6-6 and the person who is a die hard Coug scoffed at me. I then remarked is Leach will always keep WSU in the forefront because he is an interesting interview. The guy sounded like the people who criticize Wulff and said he is a total train wreck and asked me what I thought about a radio interview he gave about being poolside? I did not hear it and the guy just went off and said he was just totally embarrassed.

The point being is some people are now going beyond the field, and nitpicking every interview, every word, everything he is doing and what he has done. And I think that is unfortunate.

What changes the entire dynamic of the conversation is the President who hired Moos, signed off on Leach passed away. They could hire a guy from the SEC conference and look at the rebuild and he could say WTH?

What you're saying amounts to handing a construction company 500 million to build a skyscraper and expecting to move in the following year. if we'd hired Saban for a billion-trillion dollars, I doubt the win-loss record would look a whole lot different (assuming he didn't cheat and buy a bunch of mercenaries like he does in 'Bammy).
Well, if the construction company sold me because they said they could build it in that time, and I rushed to get all my financing in order to facilitate the build, and told me several times it was going to happen, don't be surprised next time I build a skyscraper I am not using that construction company. .

Well, if the construction company sold me because they said they could build it in that time, and I rushed to get all my financing in order to facilitate the build, and told me several times it was going to happen, don't be surprised next time I build a skyscraper I am not using that construction company. .
Did Mike Leach say we were going to the Rose Bowl in his first season or two?

Well as early as 9/2011 Moos said he liked the look of the team. He went on to say they weren't near a championship team, but liked the pieces of the team. They look like football players. No mention of 260 pound Olineman. No mention of midgets on the dline. This was right after the loss against SDSU and he felt the Cougs had control in the 4th quarter but made too many mistakes.

He then sold the fan base in 2012 there were enough pieces to win in 2012. Win meaning 6-6. Before 2013 he said he expected them to improve, but with the tough schedule he saw improvement but not necessarily a bowl game, and before 2014 he thought there was enough talent to definitely go bowling.

When you say quick fix, 4 wins to six wins is not a big stretch. Especially when you are upgrading the coaching and the Cougs were two plays from being 6-6 in 2011. If you mean by quick fix the depth across the oline would take time in case of injury, totally agree.

So either Moos just wants to pump smoke up everyone's back side, which is entirely possible, or he really believes what he sees, or he has totally lost the ability to analyze what he has or doesn't have. The biggest prediction failure was 2014. But it is clear to many who don't frequent this board, who are asked to donate that Moos over promised and under delivered.

I was working out at the local club and someone came to me and asked me if the over and under for this year is six wins, and I had to bet money that would hurt to lose, which way would I go? I said under. I think the Cougs will finish 6-6 and the person who is a die hard Coug scoffed at me. I then remarked is Leach will always keep WSU in the forefront because he is an interesting interview. The guy sounded like the people who criticize Wulff and said he is a total train wreck and asked me what I thought about a radio interview he gave about being poolside? I did not hear it and the guy just went off and said he was just totally embarrassed.

The point being is some people are now going beyond the field, and nitpicking every interview, every word, everything he is doing and what he has done. And I think that is unfortunate.

What changes the entire dynamic of the conversation is the President who hired Moos, signed off on Leach passed away. They could hire a guy from the SEC conference and look at the rebuild and he could say WTH?

This is all such bull.

Moos was already on plane meeting with Leach before Wulff was canned. Of course Moos is going to say well I think we have football players. Of course he isn't going to say anything bad about the team. He's the frontman for cougar athletic relations with the public.

What is he going to say? "come one come all and see our QBs run for their lives and get injured! Come see our below MWC roster!"....
nope. He could have said yeah we are looking okay. We have football players...now where is that flight to key west, but that doesn't do any real benefit.

And when Leach was hired he was out there pushing the hype train. That's his job.

Tons of people see us doing well this year. There are tons of outlets including ALL the major ones who cover the cougs say we will be better this year.

If they are upset about Leach telling fun interview stories they basically are taking themselves too seriously. Leach is a fun interview. The press loves him for his candor, and it's more fun to hear funny stories than to hear some coach speak dribble. Spurrier tells great stories, Les Miles tells great stories..Rich Rod etc. Lots of the greats tell fun stories.

Leach is going to be our coach for at least 5 more years. So he can get used to those stories. And he'll also take us bowling several times in those years, and the team will steadily get better.

People are just going to have to deal with it if they are unhappy, while the rest of us cheer for the team we love and watch it get turned into a legit Pac-12 program.

Name me any given school in the NCAA, ed. FBS, preferably not a perennial TOP 20 and I'll show you that the AD, when it comes to football, is more of a cheerleader. They aren't the coach and they certainly aren't good fortune tellers. If there's a fan out there that put ANY weight on Moos' crystal ball reading and then after the first season didn't realize the complete dumpster fire we had, needs some new meds.
mary-ellen-mark-cast-of-one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest-posing-for-their-photograph-on-location-at-the-oregon-state-hospital-salem-oregon-mary-ellen-mark-1974.jpg

Be disappointed. All of us hope and pray for better. But to blame the cheerleader that it isn't happening fast enough is misguided. You've gone down this specific road more times that not, ed. Blame Moos for "overselling". And then you miraculously have a scenario by a third person that you've interacted with, that no one can verify, as an example that people are just tired of CML, tired of Moos, Gosh Golly this road isn't paved in lilies and roses… this is so hard and taking waaaay too much time… Don't know what to tell you… This does suck. Hate losing. Blaming Moos and blaming CML for the condition of the program 5 years ago, won't help anything. People are impatient. OK. Nature of the beast. But you are on a board that, for the most part, isn't and see's and understand's it from a different perspective. If you are trying to sell this, you're barking up the wrong board. My friendly suggestion, keep this to yourself or go to BX. They might swallow it there. Here, you know you're just starting a fight, stirring the pot, etc. etc.. You've stated this many, many times. Nothing new. Please stop.

Reactions: YakiCoug
Name me any given school in the NCAA, ed. FBS, preferably not a perennial TOP 20 and I'll show you that the AD, when it comes to football, is more of a cheerleader. They aren't the coach and they certainly aren't good fortune tellers. If there's a fan out there that put ANY weight on Moos' crystal ball reading and then after the first season didn't realize the complete dumpster fire we had, needs some new meds.
mary-ellen-mark-cast-of-one-flew-over-the-cuckoos-nest-posing-for-their-photograph-on-location-at-the-oregon-state-hospital-salem-oregon-mary-ellen-mark-1974.jpg

Be disappointed. All of us hope and pray for better. But to blame the cheerleader that it isn't happening fast enough is misguided. You've gone down this specific road more times that not, ed. Blame Moos for "overselling". And then you miraculously have a scenario by a third person that you've interacted with, that no one can verify, as an example that people are just tired of CML, tired of Moos, Gosh Golly this road isn't paved in lilies and roses… this is so hard and taking waaaay too much time… Don't know what to tell you… This does suck. Hate losing. Blaming Moos and blaming CML for the condition of the program 5 years ago, won't help anything. People are impatient. OK. Nature of the beast. But you are on a board that, for the most part, isn't and see's and understand's it from a different perspective. If you are trying to sell this, you're barking up the wrong board. My friendly suggestion, keep this to yourself or go to BX. They might swallow it there. Here, you know you're just starting a fight, stirring the pot, etc. etc.. You've stated this many, many times. Nothing new. Please stop.
But we were 2 plays away from 6-6 in 2011!

Reactions: YakiCoug
This is all such bull.

Moos was already on plane meeting with Leach before Wulff was canned. Of course Moos is going to say well I think we have football players. Of course he isn't going to say anything bad about the team. He's the frontman for cougar athletic relations with the public.

What is he going to say? "come one come all and see our QBs run for their lives and get injured! Come see our below MWC roster!"....
nope. He could have said yeah we are looking okay. We have football players...now where is that flight to key west, but that doesn't do any real benefit.

And when Leach was hired he was out there pushing the hype train. That's his job.

Tons of people see us doing well this year. There are tons of outlets including ALL the major ones who cover the cougs say we will be better this year.

If they are upset about Leach telling fun interview stories they basically are taking themselves too seriously. Leach is a fun interview. The press loves him for his candor, and it's more fun to hear funny stories than to hear some coach speak dribble. Spurrier tells great stories, Les Miles tells great stories..Rich Rod etc. Lots of the greats tell fun stories.

Leach is going to be our coach for at least 5 more years. So he can get used to those stories. And he'll also take us bowling several times in those years, and the team will steadily get better.

People are just going to have to deal with it if they are unhappy, while the rest of us cheer for the team we love and watch it get turned into a legit Pac-12 program.
Hey, he is the front man. Yes, Moos said several things. He always had a list, and Leach was on his list at Oregon. Tell me what we should or shouldn't believe. He said in 2011 he liked the look of the players, that was in 9/2011. He also said he met with Leach to make sure he had a back up plan. He went into the Apple Cup 50/50 to fire Wulff.

He said he thought we would win in 2012, he thought we would be improved in 2013, but might no win, and he thought we would win in 2014. He now has gone on record saying there is 8 wins in this schedule.

You tell me what the fans should believe and not believe in regards to what he has said.

Last edited:

95....Not a mysterious third person. A real live fan, and by the backsides in the stands either there is apathy, disappointment, or they just don't know where the stadium is. Not stirring the pot. I simply said with big money as Tron points out comes different expectations. You don't seem to agree. But I would venture to say a good deal of Mrs. and Mr. general public probably feel that way.

And you want a "complete" dumpster fire, look at what the UW is faced with this year. No experience at QB. Limited players at WR. An entirely new offensive line. A new defensive line. Three players who were drafted in the first round from that defense. They are starting from ground zero. No experience.

95....Not a mysterious third person. A real live fan, and by the backsides in the stands either there is apathy, disappointment, or they just don't know where the stadium is. Not stirring the pot. I simply said with big money as Tron points out comes different expectations. You don't seem to agree. But I would venture to say a good deal of Mrs. and Mr. general public probably feel that way.

And you want a "complete" dumpster fire, look at what the UW is faced with this year. No experience at QB. Limited players at WR. An entirely new offensive line. A new defensive line. Three players who were drafted in the first round from that defense. They are starting from ground zero. No experience.
Are you saying UW '15<WSU '12?

Man, those Wulff colored glasses are something.

Yeah, the three four star recruits they have battling at QB are terrible. The loss of draftees on D who will be replaced by a few more high draft picks... he may as well be starting 5 or 6 walkons. Are they doing that, like Leach decided he needed to?

And Petersen had two classes to address the OL with impact recruits if it were an issue- surely, a guy with a 90% career win percentage brings the nebulous "recruiting cache" you attributed to Leach and his implied failure in the subsequent holes of his teams, no?

First off, you've just outlined a cheerleader. He's the "positive" guy. Even with Wulff, he was positive. He was being positive in 2011 AND YOU BELIEVED HIM?! Holy Gullible, Batman. Were you this outspoken then, as well? I strongly doubt it. Moos does a whole bunch of other stuff (important stuff, I'll add) but it's obvious he has put the cheerleader hat on, as well. Get over it. So to underline this for you… Regardless of the situation, Moos will spin it for the positive. If you ask him about how any given sport will do, he's going to say, "I think they are going to do REALLY well, this year. I think we could go to the championships this year!" Rowing, Tennis, baseball, tiddly winks, hopscotch, all of em. OK?

Second, your analysis of the heartbeat of Cougar Nation is a downer. You'll probably call it, "real" but whatever. You come onto a board that you KNOW is positive and you are trying to say you aren't stirring the pot? Was it your intent? I'll take your word on that but for you to not realize, intentional or not, that you ARE stirring the pot, is, well, kinda sad. You can COMPLETELY speak your mind. But you are beating a dead horse, not just in this post but you've stated "Moos oversold" thing multiple times for the past 2 or 3 years. I'll ask again… JUST STOP PLEASE.

Stop stirring the pot, ed. Bring something to the table please. If you've stated something more than, well for you lets say 3 or 4 times in the past, you don't need to post it again. For normal people, I'd say twice but you seem to have an OCD thing… Gotta do it 100 times before you're comfortable with it… I get it. My bro is pretty OCD. So work hard at the 3 or 4 thing, K?

Reactions: MikeFingLeach
You tell me what the fans should believe and not believe in regards to what he has said.

>He said in 2011 he liked the look of the players,

What he really means - They look good with the jersey on the sideline...on the field...not so much

>He also said he met with Leach to make sure he had a back up plan. He went into the Apple Cup 50/50 to fire Wulff.

What he really means - "I sat down and talked with Leach. I sold him on coming up here. Now I just have to play it out before I can show Wulff the door.

>He said he thought we would win in 2012, he thought we would be improved in 2013, but might no win, and he thought we >would win in 2014

I want people to believe we can win so I can sell some tickets. Somewhere in the first 3 years he'll get us to a bowl game. Wow our roster was worse than I thought. Well if Leach can get us to a bowl game in just 2 years he will be sure to get us to many more once he clears out the trash.

>He now has gone on record saying there is 8 wins in this schedule.

We are probably going to go bowling again this year. I think we can win 8 games. We are competitive now.

First off, you've just outlined a cheerleader. He's the "positive" guy. Even with Wulff, he was positive. He was being positive in 2011 AND YOU BELIEVED HIM?! Holy Gullible, Batman. Were you this outspoken then, as well? I strongly doubt it. Moos does a whole bunch of other stuff (important stuff, I'll add) but it's obvious he has put the cheerleader hat on, as well. Get over it. So to underline this for you… Regardless of the situation, Moos will spin it for the positive. If you ask him about how any given sport will do, he's going to say, "I think they are going to do REALLY well, this year. I think we could go to the championships this year!" Rowing, Tennis, baseball, tiddly winks, hopscotch, all of em. OK?

Second, your analysis of the heartbeat of Cougar Nation is a downer. You'll probably call it, "real" but whatever. You come onto a board that you KNOW is positive and you are trying to say you aren't stirring the pot? Was it your intent? I'll take your word on that but for you to not realize, intentional or not, that you ARE stirring the pot, is, well, kinda sad. You can COMPLETELY speak your mind. But you are beating a dead horse, not just in this post but you've stated "Moos oversold" thing multiple times for the past 2 or 3 years. I'll ask again… JUST STOP PLEASE.

Stop stirring the pot, ed. Bring something to the table please. If you've stated something more than, well for you lets say 3 or 4 times in the past, you don't need to post it again. For normal people, I'd say twice but you seem to have an OCD thing… Gotta do it 100 times before you're comfortable with it… I get it. My bro is pretty OCD. So work hard at the 3 or 4 thing, K?
Well...first, not an OCD bone in my body. I analyzed where I thought the program was in 2008, and where they were in 2011, and I agree with Moos in that they in 2011 did not have a championship team, but enough parts to win. Win meaning 6-6. So with experience, talent at several positions, a functional offensive line, and a manageable schedule I agreed with Moos. And when Wulff was fired I totally got where Moos was coming from.

Beating of a dead horse comes in may different forms. Is it beating any dead horse that frustrates you, or simply the horse you don't like? Scratch that question, not important. Since you asked in a respectful manner, if somehow I see myself just voicing my opinion, and you feel it is a flame simply request that I delete it and I will.

Well...first, not an OCD bone in my body. I analyzed where I thought the program was in 2008, and where they were in 2011, and I agree with Moos in that they in 2011 did not have a championship team, but enough parts to win. Win meaning 6-6. So with experience, talent at several positions, a functional offensive line, and a manageable schedule I agreed with Moos. And when Wulff was fired I totally got where Moos was coming from.

Beating of a dead horse comes in may different forms. Is it beating any dead horse that frustrates you, or simply the horse you don't like? Scratch that question, not important. Since you asked in a respectful manner, if somehow I see myself just voicing my opinion, and you feel it is a flame simply request that I delete it and I will.
Wait, you analyzed something in 2008? Why? I thought you didn't believe in those pesky "statistics"? Boy, if you did that in 2008, you should have been pissed, pissed, pissed. What has changed? Do you remember what statistics you used to "analyze" the program to give you the warm fuzzys? I'd love to hear THAT perspective.

Regarding the dead horse, thing. I'm not gonna monitor you, man. If you can't realize that you've posted the same thing over and over again… your problem, not mine. I might mention something, I might not. That's YOUR responsibility, not mine. Your job to evaluate when you bring something to the table, your job to evaluate if you're stirring the pot, intentionally or not. I'll just report it. Handy little button on the bottom left of each post.

Wait, you analyzed something in 2008? Why? I thought you didn't believe in those pesky "statistics"? Boy, if you did that in 2008, you should have been pissed, pissed, pissed. What has changed? Do you remember what statistics you used to "analyze" the program to give you the warm fuzzys? I'd love to hear THAT perspective.

Regarding the dead horse, thing. I'm not gonna monitor you, man. If you can't realize that you've posted the same thing over and over again… your problem, not mine. I might mention something, I might not. That's YOUR responsibility, not mine. Your job to evaluate when you bring something to the table, your job to evaluate if you're stirring the pot, intentionally or not. I'll just report it. Handy little button on the bottom left of each post.
Over react much?

Yeah, the three four star recruits they have battling at QB are terrible. The loss of draftees on D who will be replaced by a few more high draft picks... he may as well be starting 5 or 6 walkons. Are they doing that, like Leach decided he needed to?

And Petersen had two classes to address the OL with impact recruits if it were an issue- surely, a guy with a 90% career win percentage brings the nebulous "recruiting cache" you attributed to Leach and his implied failure in the subsequent holes of his teams, no?

I didn't use stats in 2007 to evaluate where the program was. I did't use stars. I looked at talent at key spots, the number of returning starters and I looked at the inexperience and lack of talent at QB. So I looked at the ultimate train wreck left after 2007, so that is what I analyzed. That and the lack of recruiting at DT, and the retention that was going on. So yes, I never once looked at "stats".

In terms of monitoring, maybe you hit on something. How about simply hit the ignore button instead of the bold face type asking to bring something to the table. Actually, while I never have used it I heard there is a ignore button as well, so in case I go all rogue and don't bring anything to the table.

Last edited:

Yes...I guess that is what I am saying. I am saying Jeff Tuel in 2012 and Halliday in 2012 is better than Jeff Lindquist. I am saying without question Wilson, Ratliff, Williams, Dom Williams, Simone are better than Jaydon Mickens. I am saying Fullington Rodger, Spitz, inexperienced Bosch, Goetz is better than players who have not played a down. I think Long, Cooper, Laurenzi, Pole are better than what you will see at the UW this year.

Call me crazy. I think Gesser was better than Paus and Stanback for example. I think Brink was as well. I Think Leaf was better than Huard. I think Bender, Homes Boose and Doyle were better than Chorak, Tuninea Wiggs.

I think Brink was better than Ark Hall. But the picture you just painted is very scary. Because you look at stars so much once they are on campus, you have a ultra focus on that as your way to judge talent. Where has WSU finished in comparison to the UW in terms of star rating. I believe Socal called in 10/10/10. So based on stars we should finish 10th. That is scary. And BTW I think you are wrong in implying and thinking that.

I didn't use stats in 2007 to evaluate where the program was. I did't use stars. I looked at talent at key spots, the number of returning starters and I looked at the inexperience and lack of talent at QB. So I looked at the ultimate train wreck left after 2007, so that is what I analyzed. That and the lack of recruiting at DT, and the retention that was going on. So yes, I never once looked at "stats".

In terms of monitoring, maybe you hit on something. How about simply hit the ignore button instead of the bold face type asking to bring something to the table. Actually, while I never have used it I herd there is a ignore button as well, so in case I go all rogue and not bring anything to the table.
So "analyze" might be the wrong word since that does require, by definition, an in-depth look into something… Got it. Cleared up.

Like I said, I'm not going to monitor you, or anyone else. That's a personal thing. But as soon as the cussing starts up, as soon as a horse is being beat to death, as soon as there isn't anything being brought to the table except the need to stir the pot, I will use the report button. I have a couple people on ignore, that way I can choose to look or not. You aren't one. You, ed, can sometimes bring something to the table. I'm just tired of this BS and I see this thread on the edge of falling off the deep end, like others. I've always been one to say, "It's kinda the Wild West at WW"… but I'm just tired of it. I just want to talk WSU sports and have civil, intelligent, enlightening banter. Don't have to agree. Won't get all, knee-jerk, won't get all touchy-feely and PC but there are many threads, many posts that are blatant and horrible in the past. We ALL should have reported those and we all know which ones.

Yes...I guess that is what I am saying. I am saying Jeff Tuel in 2012 and Halliday in 2012 is better than Jeff Lindquist. I am saying without question Wilson, Ratliff, Williams, Dom Williams, Simone are better than Jaydon Mickens. I am saying Fullington Rodger, Spitz, inexperienced Bosch, Goetz is better than players who have not played a down. I think Long, Cooper, Laurenzi, Pole are better than what you will see at the UW this year.

Call me crazy. I think Gesser was better than Paus and Stanback for example. I think Brink was as well. I Think Leaf was better than Huard. I think Bender, Homes Boose and Doyle were better than Chorak, Tuninea Wiggs.

I think Brink was better than Ark Hall. But the picture you just painted is very scary. Because you look at stars so much once they are on campus, you have a ultra focus on that as your way to judge talent. Where has WSU finished in comparison to the UW in terms of star rating. I believe Socal called in 10/10/10. So based on stars we should finish 10th. That is scary. And BTW I think you are wrong in implying and thinking that.
You're wrong. About lots of these things. Leach would have LOVED to get Browning coming in- his offer last year proves as much. And I don't remember Jeff Tuel getting a Texas Tech offer. You rattle off a bunch of guys who didn't play under Wulff as proof that Leach got better talent than Petersen, which is ridiculous, (Can you imagine what Leach would do with a defense with FOUR draftees in the first two rounds?) and include Bobby "Featherstone" Ratliff as part of the great receiver talent that Leach got, while behaving like the Husky talent will end with Mickens, which I doubt.

Then, because I mentioned that Petersen inherited three guys recruited by most of the P12, rather than Wulff's single offer all stars, you ramble onto some false equivalency you created about a few times that a lower rated guy was better than a higher rated guy, which barely matters- none of those were Wulff guys, amusingly enough, and couched my view in "alarmist" language.

You're wrong. About lots of these things. Leach would have LOVED to get Browning coming in- his offer last year proves as much. And I don't remember Jeff Tuel getting a Texas Tech offer. You rattle off a bunch of guys who didn't play under Wulff as proof that Leach got better talent than Petersen, which is ridiculous, (Can you imagine what Leach would do with a defense with FOUR draftees in the first two rounds?) and include Bobby "Featherstone" Ratliff as part of the great receiver talent that Leach got, while behaving like the Husky talent will end with Mickens, which I doubt.

Then, because I mentioned that Petersen inherited three guys recruited by most of the P12, rather than Wulff's single offer all stars, you ramble onto some false equivalency you created about a few times that a lower rated guy was better than a higher rated guy, which barely matters- none of those were Wulff guys, amusingly enough, and couched my view in "alarmist" language.
I am sorry...Ej Emaual > than Russell Wilson. PAus >Gesser and Brink.

Stars don't mean jack once they step on campus. It is clear that Tuel and Halliday are and were better than Lindquist despite their rankings. Stars means jack once they have been on campus.

I am sorry...Ej Emaual > than Russell Wilson. PAus >Gesser and Brink.

Stars don't mean jack once they step on campus. It is clear that Tuel and Halliday are and were better than Lindquist despite their rankings. Stars means jack once they have been on campus.
Again, this isn't about stars (well, clearly it is for you...)- my value system has to do with what they do in college, not the mere act of being somewhere on an NFL team's payroll, and my primary decider for recruit value is offers from peers. If a player is desired by other coaches to fit in their scheme, that means more to me than stars. Chester Sua had four stars and one BCS offer- whereas some of the two star guys Leach had had a dozen other offers. I've stated this opinion before. When Leach turned loose your Pulu's and Gardener's, et al... those guys weren't desired by anyone but Wulff, and their subsequent anonymity reinforces that. Leach went and got Marks and Palacio and a number of other guys who were desired by other teams. That was good.

I have no doubt that, solely to be a contrarian, you'll name a few times where a guy with one offer was the guy... but it's not the norm, or even close, and less so for bad coaches than good ones.

Last edited:
Gentlemen... who cares?

In 48 hours we will be sitting at 1-0 on our way to a 9 win season... we don't get a lot of those... so, fire up an order of Tron's Cougar Gold/Velveeta dip, ice the beer and enjoy the season. It's here.

This is all such bull.

ADs don't go looking for new coaches because the program is sound. What Moos actually said was WSU was about to be left in the dust. There weren't many, but a few WSU fans seriously thought Leach inherited a foundation for success and would win more than he lost in 2012. Every fan base has its share of idiots, I suppose. Ours just don't shut up, even when they've repeatedly embarrassed themselves.

Reactions: longtimecoug
ADs don't go looking for new coaches because the program is sound. What Moos actually said was WSU was about to be left in the dust. There weren't many, but a few WSU fans seriously thought Leach inherited a foundation for success and would win more than he lost in 2012. Every fan base has its share of idiots, I suppose. Ours just don't shut up, even when they've repeatedly embarrassed themselves.

In baseball there is a saying, "Hope springs eternal". Every team starts out with a record of 0-0 and the players and fans can dream of a pennant. New season, some new players and anyone can be hopeful. Then the season starts, reality sets in and what was hope soon disappears into what the teams talent level actually is. Fans and players actually knew what would happen from the start. But, we all want to believe in miracles.

When Leach was hired, we all dreamed and hoped that he could work some magic. We ached for it, as the previous four years of football had been historically bad. The worst that just about any teams fans had been subjected.

We wanted to hope so much. But, then the season started and what we ached for soon disappeared into what the teams talent level actually was. Most of us actually knew this from the start. We wanted to believe in miracles. But, we understood reality.

Well, most of us understood. There are a few that want to take that initial Leach hiring excitement to continually mislead what actually had taken place.

It is sad, really.

Again, this isn't about stars (well, clearly it is for you...)- my value system has to do with what they do in college, not the mere act of being somewhere on an NFL team's payroll, and my primary decider for recruit value is offers from peers. If a player is desired by other coaches to fit in their scheme, that means more to me than stars. Chester Sua had four stars and one BCS offer- whereas some of the two star guys Leach had had a dozen other offers. I've stated this opinion before. When Leach turned loose your Pulu's and Gardener's, et al... those guys weren't desired by anyone but Wulff, and their subsequent anonymity reinforces that. Leach went and got Marks and Palacio and a number of other guys who were desired by other teams. That was good.

I have no doubt that, solely to be a contrarian, you'll name a few times where a guy with one offer was the guy... but it's not the norm, or even close, and less so for bad coaches than good ones.
How does one even respond. You look at offers and you surmise because of their offers they are better players. Not sure how you can tell if the Husky players are good or bad? They have never played. And from everything I heard, from local media to people who are at practice have said it is going to be a long long year.

In baseball there is a saying, "Hope springs eternal". Every team starts out with a record of 0-0 and the players and fans can dream of a pennant. New season, some new players and anyone can be hopeful. Then the season starts, reality sets in and what was hope soon disappears into what the teams talent level actually is. Fans and players actually knew what would happen from the start. But, we all want to believe in miracles.

When Leach was hired, we all dreamed and hoped that he could work some magic. We ached for it, as the previous four years of football had been historically bad. The worst that just about any teams fans had been subjected.

We wanted to hope so much. But, then the season started and what we ached for soon disappeared into what the teams talent level actually was. Most of us actually knew this from the start. We wanted to believe in miracles. But, we understood reality.

Well, most of us understood. There are a few that want to take that initial Leach hiring excitement to continually mislead what actually had taken place.

It is sad, really.
It's funny...I don't remember you and Yaki predicting 3-9.

Then you come here with a told you so post.

If you are equating sad to something someone thinks about Cougar football, you are taking this far too seriously.

If you are equating sad to something someone thinks about Cougar football, you are taking this far too seriously.

There was a reason why they do autopsy's after a person has died. Looking back it is easy to see why WSU could not compete in a conference such as the Pac 12. It has nothing to do with coaching, but as many coaches have said, "The Jimmy's and Joe's". That is not a "I told you so post."

Sponge, every single person that posts regularly on this board takes it way too seriously. We are fans.

The obsession continues. Like your hairline, your memory has receded. Busch Lights > Rogaine. But to help you out - yes, a Herculean task - I said early, early on that Leach was inheriing a program in a shambles. Anyone who took a look at 6 and 40 knew so. Try to keep up.

Repetitive drivel. Again.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT