ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be the D-line standouts in 2015?

YakiCoug

Hall Of Fame
Jan 6, 2003
Those who played last year: Kache Palacio (rush end/LB), Ivan McLennan (RE/LB), Daniel Ekuale, Richard Barber, Daryl Paulo, and Destiny Vaeao have two or more years in the program.Vaeao received some serious looks from some big programs coming out of high school, and Ekuale and McLennan had offers from Oregon.
The top newcomers (transfers, redshirts): Jeremiah Mitchell (JC), Ngala Tapa, Kingston Fernandez, Hercules Mata'afa, and Reggie Coates (DE-LB Nevada). Mitchell chose WSU over Oregon, ASU, and others.
New frosh: Thomas Toki, Hunter Mattox, T.J. Fehoko, Nnamdi Oguayo.
Position change: Devonte McClain, 6-5, 314.

There is no denying Xavier Cooper's leaving early is a loss. Toni Pole, while hardly a spectacular player, was stout and strong (35 reps on the bench in his NFL tryouts). But Vaeao, Ekuale, and Barber definitely passed the interior d-line eye test in the spring. Paulo appears ready to be a more consistent contributor.
But the key is depth. Tapa is still green, but at 315 seems ready for spot duty. No one expects Toki to win a starting position, but get ready for the Tomasi Kongaika comparisons at some point this season if he doesn't redshirt. McClain, if he can improve his agility, is another guy who can buy the starters a breath.
Mitchell missed the spring game but definitely made big impressions in prior scrimmages. He's likely as good a JC d-line transfer as WSU has had in years. Better yet, the coaches are smart enough to not move him to d-tackle.
Coates was a surprise in the spring, and Mata'afa continued to make a name for himself. Many see him strictly at LB, however.
The potential darkhorse is Mattox. I see him redshirting, because he's growing into a d-tackle. Fehoko terrorized opposing backfields in high school (his clips are great), but the transition to D1 will take some time.
For those who are interested in the future of Cougar football, feel free to weigh in!

Coates, Paulo, Eukale, Vaeo, Mitchell Tapa. possibly Mata'afa / Fernandex (but mostly they are learning to be the future Tapa will get in there early because he's just so big and fast)

Cooper and Pole leaving may seem like a setback, but really we have some really good hungry players waiting to get in there.

Good question, tough call.

The good news as I see it:
- a lot of athletic players, many with experience as you've noted
- continuity from Coach Big (but shrinking*) Joe

The intrigue:
- new D coordinator(I think Leach found a good one in Grinch)
-new schemes
-open, meaningful competition

Watching this group in Spring practice, they seemed spirited, energized, tight knit unit and seemed to have a lot of fun just being on the field, I can't give you names but I think we're all going to like what we see from the D line..

From what I saw in the spring and last fall I would say :

1) The Seniors will be very solid and Destiny Vaeo could have a breakout year. He is big 6'4 300 and fairly fast. I also see a very solid year from Daryl Paulo who played well last season. Reggie Coates is kind of a wild card as a senior since we have never seen him play in a game,but could be good for depth. The former Buck linbackers Palacio and McClennan are very good if not outstanding.
2) The Juniors include a bigger Robert Barber at 6'3 312 at the nose. He has never had the big year but has skills and is a good replacement for Tony Pole. Next you have newcomer Jeremiah Mitchell who was highly touted coming in but we have not seen anything yet so hard to project.
3) Only one RS Sophomore in Daniel Ekuale who also is bigger this season at 6'3 288. He is one who could have a breakout year. He looked great sometimes last season, and this spring. He is big enough to cause problems and very quick, hard for inside guys to block.
4) RS Freshman there is a bunch of new guys that will get on the field and a few are potential stars. Starting with Ngula Tapa the big guy at the nose 6'2 325 and still quick. He will back up Barber but should be a great guy in the rotation. Hercules Mata'afa a potential breakout player in this group. Finally Kingston Fernandez , I have not heard or seen much of this kid yet so we will have to wait to see this fall.

5) Freshman. Most highly recruited is Thomas Toki who probably is a Nose Tackle /DT. Hunter Mattox 6'4 260, T.J. Fehoko 6'1 265. Based on what I have seen if there is one freshman that might see the field this fall I would bet on Fehoko who set sack records in Utah the last two seasons.

In summary I don't think we have the player to replace Cooper right now but the way Vaeo was playing in the spring he could surprise us in a very good way. Otherwise we should be solid with the rush LB or DE spot with Palacio and McClennan. Other spots we will be as good to slightly better.What may be better is the overall ability to rotate players without losing much. Tapa at nose, Mitchell at DE, and Paulo at DT all could be great backups/ rotation guys. We get a few others to step up like Mata'afa, maybe a Coates and this D Line might end up being a nightmare for passing teams in particular.

Those who played last year: Kache Palacio (rush end/LB), Ivan McLennan (RE/LB), Daniel Ekuale, Richard Barber, Daryl Paulo, and Destiny Vaeao have two or more years in the program.Vaeao received some serious looks from some big programs coming out of high school, and Ekuale and McLennan had offers from Oregon.
The top newcomers (transfers, redshirts): Jeremiah Mitchell (JC), Ngala Tapa, Kingston Fernandez, Hercules Mata'afa, and Reggie Coates (DE-LB Nevada). Mitchell chose WSU over Oregon, ASU, and others.
New frosh: Thomas Toki, Hunter Mattox, T.J. Fehoko, Nnamdi Oguayo.
Position change: Devonte McClain, 6-5, 314.

There is no denying Xavier Cooper's leaving early is a loss. Toni Pole, while hardly a spectacular player, was stout and strong (35 reps on the bench in his NFL tryouts). But Vaeao, Ekuale, and Barber definitely passed the interior d-line eye test in the spring. Paulo appears ready to be a more consistent contributor.
But the key is depth. Tapa is still green, but at 315 seems ready for spot duty. No one expects Toki to win a starting position, but get ready for the Tomasi Kongaika comparisons at some point this season if he doesn't redshirt. McClain, if he can improve his agility, is another guy who can buy the starters a breath.
Mitchell missed the spring game but definitely made big impressions in prior scrimmages. He's likely as good a JC d-line transfer as WSU has had in years. Better yet, the coaches are smart enough to not move him to d-tackle.
Coates was a surprise in the spring, and Mata'afa continued to make a name for himself. Many see him strictly at LB, however.
The potential darkhorse is Mattox. I see him redshirting, because he's growing into a d-tackle. Fehoko terrorized opposing backfields in high school (his clips are great), but the transition to D1 will take some time.
For those who are interested in the future of Cougar football, feel free to weigh in!
Good summary. I think Ekuale is one to watch on the inside. McClennon has all the physical tools to rush the QB...not sure he has consistency to be an every down player. I like our front 7 a lot. The depth seems to be building for the first time in years. I'm curious how the new defensive coaches will substitute this year.

Nice write up Goldencoug.... I'm feeling like the front 7 will be improved from last year.... need to keep improving team speed here.

Vaeao and Ekuale appear closest to 'standout' status next season at "DT". I think Mitchell eventually overtakes Paulo but either way Paulo's has earned a lot of reps and has shown versatility. There wasn't too much to see this spring from Barber or Tapa but hopefully that changes in the fall. I want Toki and all the other true frosh lineman (both sides) to redshirt or remain on 'red alert' the entire season.

I do wonder about the nose and whether Ekuale played there this spring out of just need or because of Grinch's desire for speed? Could be wrong but last year Pole at "NT" didn't seem to draw doubles as much as Cooper. That's a big issue moving into this year. Eventually Tapa could be that guy but more likely he's at least a year away and Barber wasn't able to surpass Pole last year and has dealt with a lot of injuries.

Leach has said we are sticking with a 34 but unless that's in name only the biggest defensive concern to me heading into the season by far is the Nose.

Vaeao and Ekuale appear closest to 'standout' status next season at "DT". I think Mitchell eventually overtakes Paulo but either way Paulo's has earned a lot of reps and has shown versatility. There wasn't too much to see this spring from Barber or Tapa but hopefully that changes in the fall. I want Toki and all the other true frosh lineman (both sides) to redshirt or remain on 'red alert' the entire season.

I do wonder about the nose and whether Ekuale played there this spring out of just need or because of Grinch's desire for speed? Could be wrong but last year Pole at "NT" didn't seem to draw doubles as much as Cooper. That's a big issue moving into this year. Eventually Tapa could be that guy but more likely he's at least a year away and Barber wasn't able to surpass Pole last year and has dealt with a lot of injuries.

Leach has said we are sticking with a 34 but unless that's in name only the biggest defensive concern to me heading into the season by far is the Nose.

Tapa and Barber are big bodies that just need game experience, or more experience in Barber's case. They'll both get plenty of PT early on against Portland State, Rutgers, and Wyoming.

It will be an interesting fall. I agree, Pole wasn't nearly effective when he was on top of the center. Same with Cooper. They had two 4-3 DT's miscast as a 3-4 nose. Barber has to be a force to be double teams. I would be tempted to put Destiny over the center if I stayed with the 3-4.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT