ADVERTISEMENT

#13 in the CFP.....Alamo here we come?

Aside from a few obligations like having to take the highest ranked non power 5 for a NY6 bowl, and the playoffs, and the #1 big 10, vs #1 Pac 12 thing, isnt the rest of the CFP top 12+ rankings GUIDELINES that dont have to be followed.

I mean say UCF or BSU plays in peach bowl, and say that according to CFP the Fiesta would have to take a P5 top 12 10-2 team, and a P5 top 12 9-3 team, couldnt the Fiesta Bowl say:

"Sorry P5 top 12 9-3 (say LSU or any other P5 top 12, 9-3, ), but we the Fiesta Bowl disagree with the CFP, and we think #13 CFP, 10-2 WSU with a better record then you is better then you, and should be higher ranked then you, and since we want WSU, then we are taking WSU over you"

Couldnt the Fiesta do that.

I dont know, but I dont think the Fiesta has to follow the CFP, and can take whoever it wants, as long as the highest ranked non power 5(UCF), gets a NY6 and as long as each P5 conference champ(or 2nd place team if Champ goes to playoff)

I think the Fiesta can take whoever it wants for its AT LARGE Spots, as long as meets its obligations.

If this, that is the case the Fiesta could take #13 10-2 P5 WSU for its AT LARGE SPOT over any P5 CFP top 12 team like 9-3 LSU, if it the Fiesta wants to.

But like I said, I dont know, and could be wrong.
No. Selections are made by the CFP committee, not the bowls, and they’re made based on rankings. There’s no passing over one team in favor of a lower ranked one.

Then why does it matter with UW above us in the Rose and not Utah. If we are 12. UCF Is going either way?
If we were 12, it wouldn’t matter. But we’re 13. We need to pass over a team that isn’t playing, without playing ourselves.
Where things went wrong for us (other than losing AC) was when Ohio state beat Michigan. Now they both get NY6 games, instead of us.

If we were 12, it wouldn’t matter. But we’re 13. We need to pass over a team that isn’t playing, without playing ourselves.
Where things went wrong for us (other than losing AC) was when Ohio state beat Michigan. Now they both get NY6 games, instead of us.
We pass UW And Utah stays below us. What am I missing. What does it matter if UW plays. We jump them.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
None of it matters. Even if the Pac does well in bowl season, the narrative doesn't change. It doesn't change when the SEC does poorly in bowl season. It all resets every year with 10 of their teams getting preseason rankings and the circle jerk starts all over again.

We pass UW And Utah stays below us. What am I missing. What does it matter if UW plays. We jump them.
If Utah wins, they get the automatic berth to the Rose. Same as if they were in front of us. It wouldn’t matter that UW fell behind us.

Effectively it would mean the top 11 got NY6 games, plus Utah at 14-15, because P-5 conference champs get NY6 berths.

Same will be true if Northwestern upsets Ohio State. NW is #21, but a victory gets them the Rose Bowl. That scenario is even worse for us, because Ohio state would likely stay ahead of us and would also get an NY6 game.

Unfortunately, I see little hope of Utah beating UW.
Good, because we don’t want them to.

Here’s what I think is our best case:
Alabama crushes Georgia, making LSU’s win over them slightly less valuable, and Florida’s loss to them look worse.
Clemson destroys Pitt, making Penn State’s win less valuable.
Oklahoma beat Texas. Not a blowout, but convincing. Oklahoma gets into the playoff, but the Big 12 doesn’t get another NY6 game.
Ohio State beats Northwestern. Degree probably doesn’t matter.
UW beats Utah by 3 scores. This slightly devalues our win over the Utes, but it’s still a win over a 9-win team, and if UW looks good it might make our loss look better.
If all that happens, maybe we gain enough in SOS to pass one or more of the 3-win teams ahead of us, and doesn’t create a real threat of getting passed by anyone behind us.

But, I’m checking flight prices for San Antonio. Damn, they’re expensive.

Question is.... if UW or CFU loses, we move to 12. Can the Fiesta bowl ‘choose’ us over getting Penn State again?

A UCF loss doesn't matter. The highest ranked non-Power 5 team gets a NY6 berth. Even if Memphis beats them by 50, they will not fall below Boise State at #21.

A UW loss doesn't matter, because Utah would just replace them in the Rose, and only 11 berths would remain.

Here's our shot, as I understand it:
Georgia loses to Alabama. Oklahoma beats Texas - preferably soundly.
Georgia falls to #5-#6, Oklahoma moves up to take the #4 spot in the playoff. Texas falls to #16-17. The Big 12 then does not get another NY6 slot.
This is the only scenario that creates any chance for us, but still requires reconsideration of our strength of schedule compared to that of Penn State (especially), LSU, and Florida.

Odds are we're out of consideration, and need to cross our fingers that the Alamo takes us over Utah and maybe Stanford (assuming UW beats Utah). I think that's a reasonably safe bet. If Utah upsets the Huskies...I'm less confident the Alamo takes us.

UGA isn't going to fall out of the top 12, so that game doesn't matter.

A Texas loss doesn't help cause they're behind us anyway.

UW losing would help cause it would probably move them out of the Top 12 and move us in.

Just linking some data.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/playoffPicture

Strength of schedule is a joke. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. If you go on a two game win streak in the SEC, you get vaulted into the top 10. Lose and you barely drop. It's a joke.
Come on dgib, same as it ever was. Why they won't stop putting out the preseason polls because they know they'll just keep circle-jerking themselves back to the top.

Reactions: OrangeGravy
None of it matters. Even if the Pac does well in bowl season, the narrative doesn't change. It doesn't change when the SEC does poorly in bowl season. It all resets every year with 10 of their teams getting preseason rankings and the circle jerk starts all over again.
geezus, I just posted this without reading having read your post first. Sorry, not plagerizing, just stating the truth that must be woefully obvious to everyone outside of the SEC

UW losing would help cause it would probably move them out of the Top 12 and move us in.

That is probably true

BUT

If Utah beats UW, and WSU still doesn't make CFP top 12, not only would WSU not go to Fiesta, but there is a chance UW would go to Alamo and WSU drop all the way to a BS Redbox bowl, because no bowl that low has ever had a P5 10-2 team fall to that LOW of a bowl, in the BCS, CFP era.

Thats like if a P5 10-2 were to play in the CHEEZ IT BOWL.

IF WSU falls to #4 Redbox, below #3, Holiday, #2 Alamo, NY6, etc, WSU should Decline, stay home, protest, raise a stink, in the media, just like UCF did, raised a stink.

So Utah beating UW, is awesome IF WSU gets ranked 12th, goes to Fiesta

But IF that dont happen, Utah beating UW SUCKS FOR WSU,

Rooting for Utah to beat UW, and Utah beating UW is a HUGE ALL OR NOTHING GAMBLE for WSU.

Might be better for UW to beat Utah, and WSU goto Alamo, then for Utah to beat UW, WSU not make top 12, no goto Fiesta, no get Alamo, play in either Holiday, or Worse Redbox

Either way not a good position for 10-2 WSU to be in, that the BS CFP rankings put WSU in

WSU should have been ranked #12

Last edited:
That is probably true

BUT

If Utah beats UW, and WSU still doesn't make CFP top 12, not only would WSU not go to Fiesta, but there is a chance UW would go to Alamo and WSU drop all the way to a BS Redbox bowl, because no bowl that low has ever had a P5 10-2 team fall to that LOW of a bowl, in the BCS, CFP era.

Thats like if a P5 10-2 were to play in the CHEEZ IT BOWL.

IF WSU falls to #4 Redbox, below #3, Holiday, #2 Alamo, NY6, etc, WSU should Decline, stay home, protest, raise a stink, in the media, just like UCF did, raised a stink.

So Utah beating UW, is awesome IF WSU gets ranked 12th, goes to Fiesta

But IF that dont happen, Utah beating UW SUCKS FOR WSU,

Rooting for Utah to beat UW, and Utah beating UW is a HUGE ALL OR NOTHING GAMBLE for WSU.

Might be better for UW to beat Utah, and WSU goto Alamo, then for Utah to beat UW, WSU not make top 12, no goto Fiesta, no get Alamo, play in either Holiday, or Worse Redbox

Either way not a good position for 10-2 WSU to be in, that the BS CFP rankings put WSU in

WSU should have been ranked #12
Let's make it simple for everybody (and look ma, no all caps!)

The UW losing a football game is always good for WSU and the United States of America

Agree. The Pac12 is getting no respect because our record against non-conference foes is mediocre at best. Flat mentioned last year's bowl record, 1-8. Exhibit A. Other OOC games ranged from meh to poor. When the Pac12 does well against the other conferences then we will have a legitimate complaint. Until then we need to quietly accept the situation and focus our attention on improving the conference's competitiveness against the other big 5 conferences. Until then our bitching falls into cry-baby status.

And what was our record in bowl games last year . I am sure they see the Pac 12 as mediocre .

I hope we sneak into a NY6 Bowl, but either way, I’d be happy with the Alamo Bowl. Good destination for fans, good opponent.
Alamo Bowl is so much more expensive to go to than the fiesta. Flights are ridiculous to San Antonio.

The AD at Florida is one of the 13 members of the CFP committee. Do you think he was truly being objective putting Florida ahead of us ( their signature win over Idaho must be the difference)? The chair of the CFP is Mullins the AD at Whoregon. You would think he would help out a Pac 12 team, but Uncle Phil hates to see us successful. We have beaten Whoregon the last 4 years and they want nothing more than to see us get as little lime light as possible.

And normally I am not much of a conspiracy theorist. This whole thing reeks.

The fact that 13 people can have so much sway over the process and determine who the bowls can or can't take is too risky. I actually have no doubt that the Fiesta would love to have us this year. We are pretty popular around the country. Do you think the Fiesta really wants boring Penn St again? But, their hands will be tied by whatever the CFP tells them to do. I'm beginning to miss the old days of no BCS and individual bowls taking who they want beyond a couple traditional pairings. Yes, there would be arguing over who was number one in the polls etc. But, this is even more of a subjective beauty contest.

Last edited:
The AD at Florida is one of the 13 members of the CFP committee. Do you think he was truly being objective putting Florida ahead of us ( their signature win over Idaho must be the difference)? The chair of the CFP is Mullins the AD at Whoregon. You would think he would help out a Pac 12 team, but Uncle Phil hates to see us successful. We have beaten Whoregon the last 4 years and they want nothing more than to see us get as little lime light as possible.

The fact that 13 people can have so much sway over the process and determine who the bowls can or can't take is too risky. I actually have no doubt that the Fiesta would love to have us this year. We are pretty popular around the country. Do you think the Fiesta really wants boring Penn St again? But, their hands will be tied by whatever the CFP tells them to do. I'm beginning to miss the old days of no BCS and individual bowls taking who they want beyond a couple traditional pairings. Yes, there would be arguing over who was number one in the polls etc. But, this is even more of a subjective beauty contest.
I've always preferred the original bowl system over the BCS and this crap. I don't remember a big uproar about needing a new system. The whole thing is a self fulfilling prof icy. You game the system so one group has the best chance every year to win and after enough years all the recruits follow suit.

Every year the middling SEC teams hang around in the top 15 until they get that 4th loss then the committee and other polls can no longer cover for them.

Reactions: ATACFD
So they just go strictly based on rankings?

It's not, top 12, you're eligible, and any bowl can take you if they want?
No. The NY6 bowls don't get to pick for themselves.

the top 4 get seeded for the playoff. Then any power 5 conference champ who isn't in the playoff gets an NY6 berth. The highest ranked non-power 5 conference champ also gets an NY6 berth. The remaining NY6 teams are then picked in rank order.

No, no, no, no.

UW losing does NOT move us in. That would give Utah the automatic rose bowl berth - regardless of whether they're ranked ahead of us or not. That leaves 11 NY6 slots, and leaves us at #12, still a spot short. It also makes our loss to UW worse, and reduces our SOS.

The highest ranked non-power 5 champ also gets an automatic berth. That'll be UCF, Boise state, or Fresno state. If Memphis beats UCF, a team ranked behind us will get an NY6 game.

If Texas beats oklahoma, Texas gets the Big 12's automatic berth, but Oklahoma probably won't fall behind us - or behind Florida, LSU, or PSU. The Big 12 will get 2 NY6 games. Similar story of Northwestern beats Ohio state - NW will get the Rose, Michigan has a berth locked up, and Ohio State probably gets one too.

Any upsets put us further out of contention. Our only shot is some changes in relative schedule strength. The tiny chance we had at the playoff a week ago is better than our chances of an NY6 game today.

EDIT: One revision to my earlier post: we need Oklahoma to squeak past Texas, and Ohio State to destroy Northwestern. Ohio state needs to take the 4th playoff spot. If Oklahoma gets into the playoff, Texas gets the Big 12's NY6 berth, and we have no chance at moving up. If Ohio State makes the playoff, it bumps Michigan into the Rose. Michigan already has a berth locked up, so this does not reduce the number of available slots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cougzz
95 is right. Here is what we need to happen.

1) Stanford needs to dominate Cal
2) Stanford needs to get into CFP top 25
3) Pitt needs to get destroyed by Clemson

Stanford’s entrance into the top 25 gives us 2 top 25 wins. If Utah beats UW, our win against the conference champ looks even better.

Pitt is Penn State’s best win whom will be 7-6. Penn will hav 0 top 25 wins and 3 losses. I’m assuming we are on the border with Penn State..... displacing them is the only way in.

Let's make it simple for everybody (and look ma, no all caps!)

The UW losing a football game is always good for WSU and the United States of America

Mothers and apple pies benefit as well.

After reading through the comments above, it seems that the following benefit WSU in getting into the NY6:

1) Big Clemson win (hurts Pitt which hurts Penn State)
2) UW wins (keeps a team ranked below #12 from stealing an automatic berth)
3) OU wins a squeaker (keeps Texas out of the mix and potentially devalues OU)
4) Ohio State demolishes Northwestern (Keeps OU out of the playoff and therefor keeps Texas from stealing a berth in the Sugar Bowl)
5) Stanford crushes Cal and gets into the CFP Top 25.....helping us with a quality win.

I'll say that for me, even though I'll be slightly offended if we get left out of the NY6, I won't be mad to see us get to play Texas or West Virginia in the Alamo Bowl. In the bigger picture, we are still program building, and an 11-2 finish would be a positive step in the right direction, particularly in a year where most people were thinking Vegas or Cheez-It bowl. As I mentioned before, we can't be too angry about the situation, because our ass-kicking last year at the hands of Michigan State is one of the big reasons that the Pac-12 is considered weak this year. We need to win as many games as we can and everything else will fall into place, particularly over time.

No, no, no, no.

UW losing does NOT move us in. That would give Utah the automatic rose bowl berth - regardless of whether they're ranked ahead of us or not. That leaves 11 NY6 slots, and leaves us at #12, still a spot short. It also makes our loss to UW worse, and reduces our SOS.

The highest ranked non-power 5 champ also gets an automatic berth. That'll be UCF, Boise state, or Fresno state. If Memphis beats UCF, a team ranked behind us will get an NY6 game.

If Texas beats oklahoma, Texas gets the Big 12's automatic berth, but Oklahoma probably won't fall behind us - or behind Florida, LSU, or PSU. The Big 12 will get 2 NY6 games. Similar story of Northwestern beats Ohio state - NW will get the Rose, Michigan has a berth locked up, and Ohio State probably gets one too.

Any upsets put us further out of contention. Our only shot is some changes in relative schedule strength. The tiny chance we had at the playoff a week ago is better than our chances of an NY6 game today.

EDIT: One revision to my earlier post: we need Oklahoma to squeak past Texas, and Ohio State to destroy Northwestern. Ohio state needs to take the 4th playoff spot. If Oklahoma gets into the playoff, Texas gets the Big 12's NY6 berth, and we have no chance at moving up. If Ohio State makes the playoff, it bumps Michigan into the Rose. Michigan already has a berth locked up, so this does not reduce the number of available slots.

Thanks for the explanation. I posted before reading the rest of the thread.

Reactions: kougkurt

I've subscribed to the "turn back the clock" method for years. The old bowl system seemed to create less controversy even though you did not have a true national championship game. Let the arguments and debate over who's the best team take place after the season, not before a bowl game is even played.

Glad Cougar

Second best scenario.....

UW loses to Utah and now has 4 losses. We don’t move from #13. The Alamo chooses WSU over UW..... UW ends up playing in Santa Clara. I’d take that scenario.

Reactions: PINGDUDE4
16 team playoffs would settle all of this.

So would an 8 team playoff. Every P5 conference champ gets in. 2 P5 at large births. 1 wildcard.

The old BCS format would have worked. Keep the traditional bowls by having them host 1st round playoff games.

So would an 8 team playoff. Every P5 conference champ gets in. 2 P5 at large births. 1 wildcard.

The old BCS format would have worked. Keep the traditional bowls by having them host 1st round playoff games.
Maybe. It seems your certain we'd get either an at-large birth or the wildcard. I don't have that faith.

It doesn’t matter. The highest ranked non-power 5 team gets an NY6 berth. Boise state is the next highest ranked team, at #21, so odds are UCF plays on New Years even if they get blanked.
Well, this is interesting. Just read this on ESPN:

UCF must beat Memphis in the American Athletic Conference championship game Saturday, without (injured QB) Milton, to secure a New Year's Six game, because the rules state that the top-ranked Group of 5 champion gets that spot.

It should be noted the same requirement doesn't apply to the Power 5, where teams that don't win the conference championship can make the playoff. But if UCF loses, and finishes as the highest-ranked Group of 5 team, it won't have the opportunity to make the New Year's Six. So Milton's traumatic injury could mean the difference between UCF making the Fiesta Bowl and or landing in the Birmingham Bowl.

That's why the Mountain West championship game between No. 22 Boise State and No. 25 Fresno State now has even greater meaning. If UCF loses, the Mountain West winner would more than likely find itself in a New Year's Six game.

Wow...this doesn't impact WSU at all but it's very possible that stinking Boise State (or Fresno State) gets into a NY6 bowl and we don't.

Glad Cougar

UCF must beat Memphis in the American Athletic Conference championship game Saturday, without (injured QB) Milton, to secure a New Year's Six game, because the rules state that the top-ranked Group of 5 champion gets that spot.

It should be noted the same requirement doesn't apply to the Power 5, where teams that don't win the conference championship can make the playoff. But if UCF loses, and finishes as the highest-ranked Group of 5 team, it won't have the opportunity to make the New Year's Six. So Milton's traumatic injury could mean the difference between UCF making the Fiesta Bowl and or landing in the Birmingham Bowl.

That's why the Mountain West championship game between No. 22 Boise State and No. 25 Fresno State now has even greater meaning. If UCF loses, the Mountain West winner would more than likely find itself in a New Year's Six game.

Wow...this doesn't impact WSU at all but it's very possible that stinking Boise State (or Fresno State) gets into a NY6 bowl and we don't.

Glad Cougar
That. Would. Suck.

Glad Cougar
Yeah, I missed the part where it says the highest ranked non power 5 CHAMP gets an NY6 game. So if USC loses (and I think they will), they'll fall down to a minor bowl. Doesn't help us though, since BSU/Fresno will get that slot instead.

That. Would. Suck.

Sure would. This also is why I disagree with those saying that the highest-ranked G of 5 champ should have a guaranteed spot in an 8-team playoff. Even just the highest-ranked G of 5 team, regardless of whether they're a conference champ (usually would be), often is going to be a Boise State team ranked 24th or something of that ilk. Automatically including one each year, even if they are nowhere near the top 8, will lead to a lot of undeserving teams getting in.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT