ADVERTISEMENT

#13 in the CFP.....Alamo here we come?

Flatlandcoug

Hall Of Fame
Aug 14, 2007
Wichita, Kansas
We might be set for the Alamo Bowl. Texas is behind us and my earlier comment about #13 being ok was predicated on them being ahead of us and losing to OU. Alas, the SEC love is strong this year.

Ha what a crock. Instead of having bowls they should just have another SEC conference game apparently that's all the CFP comittee wants to see. We just don't have the right name on our jersey.

We would basically need Memphis to truck UCF by 20+. If UW got bumped to top 10 would that loss look any better? We got hosed.

We might be set for the Alamo Bowl. Texas is behind us and my earlier comment about #13 being ok was predicated on them being ahead of us and losing to OU. Alas, the SEC love is strong this year.

They absolutely effed us. Texas isn't even ahead of us, so not much chance to move up either.

Seriously, to hell with the CFP. F them. UGA probably won't fall out of the Top 12 with their loss to Bama, which means the SEC will have 4 teams in the Playoff/NY6 bowls. The Pac12 & Big12 will each have 1. 8 SEC teams are ranked.

This has become a complete farce.

Frankly, the Pac-12 has itself to blame. Go 1-8 in bowls last year and lost most of our meaningful OOC games this year. Wyoming ended up being mediocre and USC fell apart as the year went along. The mutts lost to what turned out to be a very mediocre Auburn team. We need to kick ass in our bowl games this year and do well in the OOC next year and things will be different.

Maybe Leach should send emails to the CFP committee, which will naturally get leaked. Or just talk directly to the media, and raise a $hitstorm about how corrupt this process is. He seems to get a lot of coverage. That would raise some awareness.

We lost in the snow to the #11 team and drop 5 spots. 9-3 Florida beats a crap FSU team and jumps. Do people on the CFP committee even research the games? Unbelievable. Totally Irresponsible.

I'm usually fairly even keeled. But this really pisses me off.

I’d prefer the Red Box Bowl over a trip to San Antonio. Nice city, had a good time in ‘94’, would rather go to No Cal.

Reactions: earldacoug
Really at some point why even have other conferences? Missouri if 5th in the SEC East 4-4 conference record. Mississippi State is 4th in the SEC West 4-4 conference. One of them is in the top 20. Idea... schedule all 3 out of conference games vs. the SEC. Losing vs anyone in that conference seems to be better than actually winning games.

Reactions: ATACFD
A UCF loss doesn't matter. The highest ranked non-Power 5 team gets a NY6 berth. Even if Memphis beats them by 50, they will not fall below Boise State at #21.

A UW loss doesn't matter, because Utah would just replace them in the Rose, and only 11 berths would remain.

Here's our shot, as I understand it:
Georgia loses to Alabama. Oklahoma beats Texas - preferably soundly.
Georgia falls to #5-#6, Oklahoma moves up to take the #4 spot in the playoff. Texas falls to #16-17. The Big 12 then does not get another NY6 slot.
This is the only scenario that creates any chance for us, but still requires reconsideration of our strength of schedule compared to that of Penn State (especially), LSU, and Florida.

Odds are we're out of consideration, and need to cross our fingers that the Alamo takes us over Utah and maybe Stanford (assuming UW beats Utah). I think that's a reasonably safe bet. If Utah upsets the Huskies...I'm less confident the Alamo takes us.

Also Penn State? Best wins are over 7-5 Wisconsin and 7-5 Pitt. That's it seriously. We have a win over a top 20 Utah team, 8-4 Oregon and Cal and Stanford both sit at 7 wins, with one of them going to 8 for sure.

Blue Bloods will always control it. Doesn’t matter. If we are Stanford, Oregon, SC or UW we aren’t left out.

Either UW or Utah will end up with 4 losses....2 more than WSU. Seems to me that would be enough of a difference for the Alamo to take the Cougars, who tied with UW for the most wins in the conference. I'm less confident in that scenario if Utah upsets the Huskies, but a UW victory should clearly indicate WSU is at least the 2nd best team in the Pac-12.

Glad Cougar

UCF beat Memphis 31-30 last month, and apart from a well played loss at Missouri, Memphis has run the table since, including routing Houston last week.

If they beat UCF convincingly, we could very well leapfrog them.

Either UW or Utah will end up with 4 losses....2 more than WSU. Seems to me that would be enough of a difference for the Alamo to take the Cougars, who tied with UW for the most wins in the conference. I'm less confident in that scenario if Utah upsets the Huskies, but a UW victory should clearly indicate WSU is at least the 2nd best team in the Pac-12.

Glad Cougar
I.......JUST...........CANT...........ROOT..............FOR...............THE ...............DOGS

Cougs would have to move above a 4 loss Dog team if Utah beat them wouldn’t they?

Completely insane.

This makes us the only Power 5 team with <3 losses to miss playoffs and NY6.
Also:
  • There are now 4 (!) teams ahead of us with more losses
  • Michigan gets STOMPED in its rivalry game by a seriously struggling foe amid coaching uncertainty - and drops just 3 spots
  • We lose in a blizzard (won't affect us again) by <2 scores against what is now nearly a Top 10 team, and we tumble 5 spots
The CFP rankings are a weekly scandal and I hope CML makes a huge stink, as someone said. After last week's rankings I suggested it has become more insipid than the Coach's Poll - and yet they decide who lives and dies more than CP or AP ever did. Best thing we can do is make CFP confront the issue by someone like CML tackling it.

CFP Rankings are a beauty contest. They will take merit into consideration, but the #1 goal is matching up legacy power programs. I can't believe these guys actually volunteered the notion that every week is a clean slate for them, as there has literally never been a poll that was more nostalgia-based than this one. They don't even look at the season resume; they're looking from 1950-2000.

Reactions: Fab5Coug
Cougs should have taken care of their own business. They didn't.
In the last game, yes. Rest of the season, they took care of biz.

There is a basic pattern that is emerging here which people have a problem with, which is that the CFP is creating a sliding scale of how well teams have to do depending on how prestigious their football program is. Our post-AC ranking doesn't affect that one way or the other.

Reactions: kougkurt
UCF beat Memphis 31-30 last month, and apart from a well played loss at Missouri, Memphis has run the table since, including routing Houston last week.

If they beat UCF convincingly, we could very well leapfrog them.
It doesn’t matter. The highest ranked non-power 5 team gets an NY6 berth. Boise state is the next highest ranked team, at #21, so odds are UCF plays on New Years even if they get blanked.

Aside from a few obligations like having to take the highest ranked non power 5 for a NY6 bowl, and the playoffs, and the #1 big 10, vs #1 Pac 12 thing, isnt the rest of the CFP top 12+ rankings GUIDELINES that dont have to be followed.

I mean say UCF or BSU plays in peach bowl, and say that according to CFP the Fiesta would have to take a P5 top 12 10-2 team, and a P5 top 12 9-3 team, couldnt the Fiesta Bowl say:

"Sorry P5 top 12 9-3 (say LSU or any other P5 top 12, 9-3, ), but we the Fiesta Bowl disagree with the CFP, and we think #13 CFP, 10-2 WSU with a better record then you is better then you, and should be higher ranked then you, and since we want WSU, then we are taking WSU over you"

Couldnt the Fiesta do that.

I dont know, but I dont think the Fiesta has to follow the CFP, and can take whoever it wants, as long as the highest ranked non power 5(UCF), gets a NY6 and as long as each P5 conference champ(or 2nd place team if Champ goes to playoff)

I think the Fiesta can take whoever it wants for its AT LARGE Spots, as long as meets its obligations.

If this, that is the case the Fiesta could take #13 10-2 P5 WSU for its AT LARGE SPOT over any P5 CFP top 12 team like 9-3 LSU, if it the Fiesta wants to.

But like I said, I dont know, and could be wrong.

Frankly, the Pac-12 has itself to blame. Go 1-8 in bowls last year and lost most of our meaningful OOC games this year. Wyoming ended up being mediocre and USC fell apart as the year went along. The mutts lost to what turned out to be a very mediocre Auburn team. We need to kick ass in our bowl games this year and do well in the OOC next year and things will be different.
Agree. The Pac12 is getting no respect because our record against non-conference foes is mediocre at best. Flat mentioned last year's bowl record, 1-8. Exhibit A. Other OOC games ranged from meh to poor. When the Pac12 does well against the other conferences then we will have a legitimate complaint. Until then we need to quietly accept the situation and focus our attention on improving the conference's competitiveness against the other big 5 conferences. Until then our bitching falls into cry-baby status.

Reactions: Cougzz
What does that matter ?

Your best hope of getting into an NY6 bowl is for Utah to upset UW.
Nope. Utah gets the NY6 berth in the Rose in that scenario, and would likely still be below us. So we’d have to be in the top 11 to get a berth of our own. UW losing would drop them behind us, but we’d still be a spot short, and wouldn’t gain ground on schedule strength.

Nope. Utah gets the NY6 berth in the Rose in that scenario, and would likely still be below us. So we’d have to be in the top 11 to get a berth of our own. UW losing would drop them behind us, but we’d still be a spot short, and wouldn’t gain ground on schedule strength.

Then why does it matter with UW above us in the Rose and not Utah. If we are 12. UCF Is going either way?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT