ADVERTISEMENT

2016 Predictions

Flatlandcoug

Hall Of Fame
Aug 14, 2007
Wichita, Kansas
Let's quit talking about Wulff and start talking next year. What do you think our record will be?

EWU - Win
@ BSU - Win
Idaho - Win
Oregon - Loss
@ Stanford - Loss
UCLA - Win
@ ASU - Loss
@ OSU - Win
Arizona - Win
Cal - Win
@ CU - Win
UW - Win

If we stay healthy, 9-3 (6-3) seems like a very achievable record. This is the first year since 2002 where I felt that we had an reasonable shot at being undefeated without it being laughable to state it. The Oregon game really comes down to the QB position. They live and die based on the play of their QB. Stanford continues to reload so I can't pick us over them until we prove it but we've got a puncher's chance. ASU in Tempe has been a house of horrors for WSU. We are 1-8 in Tempe since 1994 including our only conference loss of the 1997 season. Outside of the win in 2001, we have been pummeled by the Sun Devils with no single digit losses in the mix. There is an outside chance that the AC may be for the Pac-12 North championship.

On the downside, EWU, Idaho, OSU and CU are the only games that are anything close to surefire wins. BSU, UCLA, Arizona, Cal and UW will all have a chance to beat us if we don't bring our 'A' game and stay healthy. Last year, I felt that our range was between 4 and 9 wins with 7-5 being our most likely result. We exceeded that and if not for the bizarre PSU loss, would have finished in the Top 25 for the first time since 2003.

This year, I think our range is slightly broader with our record likely to fall anywhere from 5-7 to 12-0. An early season loss to BSU and a tough early schedule means that 2-5 is an ugly but distinct possibility. I really like our chances of finishing at least 9-3 though. If Oregon struggles and we can upset Stanford, you have to really like our chances of winning the Pac-12 north at that point. Exciting times.

Let's quit talking about Wulff and start talking next year. What do you think our record will be?

EWU - Win
@ BSU - Win
Idaho - Win
Oregon - Loss
@ Stanford - Loss
UCLA - Win
@ ASU - Loss
@ OSU - Win
Arizona - Win
Cal - Win
@ CU - Win
UW - Win

If we stay healthy, 9-3 (6-3) seems like a very achievable record. This is the first year since 2002 where I felt that we had an reasonable shot at being undefeated without it being laughable to state it. The Oregon game really comes down to the QB position. They live and die based on the play of their QB. Stanford continues to reload so I can't pick us over them until we prove it but we've got a puncher's chance. ASU in Tempe has been a house of horrors for WSU. We are 1-8 in Tempe since 1994 including our only conference loss of the 1997 season. Outside of the win in 2001, we have been pummeled by the Sun Devils with no single digit losses in the mix. There is an outside chance that the AC may be for the Pac-12 North championship.

On the downside, EWU, Idaho, OSU and CU are the only games that are anything close to surefire wins. BSU, UCLA, Arizona, Cal and UW will all have a chance to beat us if we don't bring our 'A' game and stay healthy. Last year, I felt that our range was between 4 and 9 wins with 7-5 being our most likely result. We exceeded that and if not for the bizarre PSU loss, would have finished in the Top 25 for the first time since 2003.

This year, I think our range is slightly broader with our record likely to fall anywhere from 5-7 to 12-0. An early season loss to BSU and a tough early schedule means that 2-5 is an ugly but distinct possibility. I really like our chances of finishing at least 9-3 though. If Oregon struggles and we can upset Stanford, you have to really like our chances of winning the Pac-12 north at that point. Exciting times.
Not sure why you've penciled in Oregon as a loss? This past season had a lot of questions in it, but one thing that is not disputable was how different the ducks were with Adams. I guess, you're thinking the FNG will be "Adams-like?"

EWU - Win
@ BSU - Win
Idaho - Win
Oregon - Loss
@ Stanford - Loss
UCLA - Win
@ ASU - Loss
@ OSU - Win
Arizona - Win
Cal - Win
@ CU - Win
UW - Win

UW is bringing in some decent talent. It will be interesting to see how the Little Man develops them.

Remember, with Leach you win a game you don't expect to win and lose one

EWU - Win
@ BSU - Win
Idaho - Win
Oregon - Loss
@ Stanford - Loss
UCLA - Win
@ ASU - Loss
@ OSU - Win
Arizona - Win
Cal - Win
@ CU - Win
UW - Win

Remember though, with Leach you win a game you don't expect to win and lose one you don't expect to lose. So how do you factor that?

Remember though, with Leach you win a game you don't expect to win and lose one you don't expect to lose. So how do you factor that?

EWU - Win
@ BSU - Win
Idaho - Win
Oregon - Loss
@ Stanford - Loss
UCLA - Win
@ ASU - Loss
@ OSU - Win
Arizona - Win
Cal - Win
@ CU - Win
UW - Win

If Falk stays healthy 10 wins. If he misses any amount of time I could see us being 6-6 or below assuming Bender is still on the squad.

I don't see us losing to both Oregon and Stanford. We had Stanford beat this year and Hogan who is not a pretty QB just wins games. Off the top of my head I wonder why we would lose to ASU, but we haven't played well down there. UCLA has a really good QB but the game is in Pullman. Our QB should be head and shoulders above who Stanford trots out there, we showed we could slow down McCaffrey. I am going to say our two losses will be BSU and UCLA. Have to go with the guy from Tech and his wisdom that Leach will lose one game a year he shouldn't, and win one game he shouldn't Stanford.

1. 10-2. Losses to Stanford and another we should beat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MikeFingLeach

The game that we don't expect to lose (based on comments in this thread) is ASU. They are likely to be a 0.500 team but history suggests that we struggle down there.....so I picked that one. In the context of the game, UCLA will probably be favored, particularly if we lose to Stanford and Oregon. UCLA will be 4-2 or 5-1 when we play them and we would be 3-2. Our win over them will be the one that keeps them from playing for the Pac-12 championship. As for Oregon, I'm going to assume that they new mercenary at QB is healthy and working out when they play us. Most of their struggles at QB have been when their starter is injured. I hope to be wrong on that one, but I think Helfrich is going to have the guy ready.

WSU has a very good fighters chance to beat both Oregon and Stanford. Heck, Stanford was practically beat last year. Stanford and Oregon lose quite a bit via graduation and they will be new teams with new weaknesses. They are both suspect for the picking this coming season.... WSU is not a 'lock' to win any game.... depending on who shows up that particular day. The team that punched Stanford in the gut an lost on a last play of the game missed FG or the team that showed up rotten in the Apple Cup. That said, I can easily see WSU winning 8-10 games next season. I gonna pray for undefeated anyway.

EWU - Win
@ BSU - Win
Idaho - Win
Oregon - Loss
@ Stanford - Loss
UCLA - Win
@ ASU - Loss
@ OSU - Win
Arizona - Win
Cal - Win
@ CU - Win
UW - Win

Assuming that Falk stays healthy, and that we don't suffer a huge dropoff on the DL:

EWU - Win.
@ BSU - Win.
Idaho - Win

BSU is fading, and I don't think they have the horses. I actually think Idaho might put up more fight than a lot of people expect, and they're going to get fired up trying to get revenge for the blowout and late scores last time. They won't be able to keep up though, and we pull away in the second half.

Oregon - Win

Here's my thinking with Oregon: First, their D wasn't very effective against us last year, and I'm operating on the assumption that our returning O will improve more than their returning D. Second, we saw last year that Oregon without Adams wasn't very good, and I don't really believe that they're lucky enough to draw an FCS transfer who's ready to play Pac-12 ball two years in a row. Even if he is, it becomes O against O...so I'll give us the edge at home.

@ Stanford - Loss

I really want to call this a win. They lose their starting center and QB, an OT, and two of their top 4 receivers. We should have beat them in 2015. Their D did a solid job against our O, and I don't see much reason to expect them to drop off. We did a good job against McCaffrey, but I don't know who's going to repeat that in 2016. Without a clear advantage, again I'm going with the home team.

UCLA - Win

Could go either way on this one too. UCLA should have a solid team. I'm going to assume that by now we learn how to keep a QB in the box, and we win at home. This game could have serious impacts on the rest of the season - we know the Bruins are not above headhunting.

@ ASU - Win

I know we typically don't play well in the desert, but ASU wasn't very good last year, and I don't see a lot to suggest they'll be any better. We should be.

@ OSU - Win
Arizona - Win
Cal - Win
@ CU - Win
UW - Win

The Huskies look to be solid this year. Apple Cup will be a tough game, and could go either way. But again...home team.

So there you go. 11-1, and I'm only giving Stanford grudgingly. But honestly, I can see us dropping to 8-5, depending on how the D turns out. Anything less than that I think is a major disappointment.

New question - does an 11-1 WSU team get left out of the playoff conversation?

WSU has a very good fighters chance to beat both Oregon and Stanford. Heck, Stanford was practically beat last year. Stanford and Oregon lose quite a bit via graduation and they will be new teams with new weaknesses. They are both suspect for the picking this coming season.... WSU is not a 'lock' to win any game.... depending on who shows up that particular day. The team that punched Stanford in the gut an lost on a last play of the game missed FG or the team that showed up rotten in the Apple Cup. That said, I can easily see WSU winning 8-10 games next season. I gonna pray for undefeated anyway.
I totally get what you're saying Bruce. Not meaning to call you out, or anything. But the AC needs a little "give"… at least for the QB IMHO.

We must remember, during the previous game that he came in for, the CO game… he was playing during the exact time of his grandmothers funeral. Then he's to play the next week, in a pretty big rival game. That's a lot of growing up to do for that boy. Not making excuses for anyone but just perspective. Coming in when the game is in hand (CO) and starting are two different things, as well as having an emotional "thing" going on. Lots going on there. Bet he grew up a lot during those 2/3 weeks.

It's those kinds of experiences that will make Bender what we all hope he's going to be. I have no doubt he's sharpen, he'll become crisper. I look forward to the next time he hits the field.

Assuming that Falk stays healthy, and that we don't suffer a huge dropoff on the DL:

EWU - Win.
@ BSU - Win.
Idaho - Win

BSU is fading, and I don't think they have the horses. I actually think Idaho might put up more fight than a lot of people expect, and they're going to get fired up trying to get revenge for the blowout and late scores last time. They won't be able to keep up though, and we pull away in the second half.

Oregon - Win

Here's my thinking with Oregon: First, their D wasn't very effective against us last year, and I'm operating on the assumption that our returning O will improve more than their returning D. Second, we saw last year that Oregon without Adams wasn't very good, and I don't really believe that they're lucky enough to draw an FCS transfer who's ready to play Pac-12 ball two years in a row. Even if he is, it becomes O against O...so I'll give us the edge at home.

@ Stanford - Loss

I really want to call this a win. They lose their starting center and QB, an OT, and two of their top 4 receivers. We should have beat them in 2015. Their D did a solid job against our O, and I don't see much reason to expect them to drop off. We did a good job against McCaffrey, but I don't know who's going to repeat that in 2016. Without a clear advantage, again I'm going with the home team.

UCLA - Win

Could go either way on this one too. UCLA should have a solid team. I'm going to assume that by now we learn how to keep a QB in the box, and we win at home. This game could have serious impacts on the rest of the season - we know the Bruins are not above headhunting.

@ ASU - Win

I know we typically don't play well in the desert, but ASU wasn't very good last year, and I don't see a lot to suggest they'll be any better. We should be.

@ OSU - Win
Arizona - Win
Cal - Win
@ CU - Win
UW - Win

The Huskies look to be solid this year. Apple Cup will be a tough game, and could go either way. But again...home team.

So there you go. 11-1, and I'm only giving Stanford grudgingly. But honestly, I can see us dropping to 8-5, depending on how the D turns out. Anything less than that I think is a major disappointment.

New question - does an 11-1 WSU team get left out of the playoff conversation?
Didn't you forget something??
:rolleyes:

Didn't you forget something??
:rolleyes:
No. I decided not to speculate on the Pac-12 championship, because I haven't really looked at the South. And, the conversation will start before championship week anyway.

Some ill-informed ideas from the shallow end of the pool:

EWU, BSU, Idaho: Probable wins. I will no longer put anyone in the "cupcake" class after last year's PSU debacle. I doubt if any of the rest of you will either for some time.

Oregon, Stanford, UCLA: Probable losses. (Yeah, I know, sorry to be a downer.) Oregon is reloading as usual and with a healthy Adams would have kicked our butts in Autzen last year. Stanford is steady and solid and will again be good. The Cards don't fall off much or improve much. This Fall we won't have Destiny creating mayhem in the center and limiting McCaffery's yardage up the middle. I do not foresee them having difficulty replacing Hogan as he was for the most part a manager of their attack and not relied on for exceptional passing yardage. UCLA has talent galore, as usual, and I was very impressed with Rosen. Especially considering his lack of experience. This Fall he could be scary good.

ASU: ? We may well have a better team but we historically struggle down there.

OSU, Arizona, Cal, Colorado: Probable wins. OSU and Colorado are still digging themselves out of a deep hole. Cal falls back after losing their QB and numerous receivers. I expect us to be better than Arizona.

uw: Probable loss. Scary good talent offensively. They lose some on the defensive side but have well regarded players to replace them with.

Final tally: 8-4 or 7-5.

Despite my suspicion than next Fall's record will be approximately equal to 2015's, I am hopeful but nervously cautious. Last year's pleasant success was without a solid foundation. Let me explain. We won four games in the last minute or so. Three incompletions and those are losses. We caught Oregon at the right time with Vernon Adams incapacitated. With him healthy we would have gotten run out of Eugene. Another loss. Rutgers, ASU, UCLA, Oregon. Exchange good luck with bad luck in those four games and we are at 4-8 and they are still trying to talk us off of the ledge.

Too many variables to get a solid grip on next season's results. Good or bad fortune. Good or bad health. Then include Leach's riverboat gambler personality. He will likely win some most coaches would have lost and vice versa as many have noted.

Final conclusion: The Cougs will be an improved team next season but the results will be similar to last season's.

Sorry for not being able to repeat other's lofty predictions. On the bright side, there is a silver lining in this cloud. I am usually wrong.

Last edited:
My guess is 8-4 regular season and another bowl win to get to 9-4 again. If all things roll our way, we might get to 10 wins...maybe even 11... but I could just as likely see us take a small step back and only win 6 or 7 games. We could actually be a better team this season and it may not show in our record. We eek'd by in quite a few games last season... Rutgers, UCLA, and Oregon come to mind. Sure we lost a couple as well...PSU and Stanford... but it hard for me to project more wins when we played most teams close last season... I think we will do the same this year but can't guarantee we'll come out on top more than not.

Reactions: Slowmotionjones
8-11 wins. Lots of factors like injuries, weathers, refs etc. to meddle with things, but 8-11 wins is about right.

8-11 wins. Lots of factors like injuries, weathers, refs etc. to meddle with things, but 8-11 wins is about right.

Judging from Joe Dahl's performance before NFL scouts, replacing him isn't going to be easy. Here's hoping Tuley-Tillman, Dillard, or someone else steps up.

I would put the over/under at 9 wins. Between Stanford, Oregon, UCLA, ASU, BSU and even UA we will find a way to lose 3. However, I'd expect at least one upset. If we stay super healthy for the whole season we might win 10, but that could just as easily go the other way. If I was doing the Vegas thing I'd be looking at 9-3 / 6-3 and tied for 2nd in the north.

My guess is 8-4 regular season and another bowl win to get to 9-4 again. If all things roll our way, we might get to 10 wins...maybe even 11... but I could just as likely see us take a small step back and only win 6 or 7 games. We could actually be a better team this season and it may not show in our record. We eek'd by in quite a few games last season... Rutgers, UCLA, and Oregon come to mind. Sure we lost a couple as well...PSU and Stanford... but it hard for me to project more wins when we played most teams close last season... I think we will do the same this year but can't guarantee we'll come out on top more than not.

Agree with this completely. And it feels good to think we could take a "step back" and still go 7-5.

Wasn't long ago, a "step back" would have meant a winless season.

Is 8-4 optimistic? Feels more like status quo given everyone we have back. Falk's health concerns me.

Is 8-4 optimistic? Feels more like status quo given everyone we have back. Falk's health concerns me.
Given the part of the thread that was deleted there are no health concerns. If he is healthy are there really four loses in the schedule? We lost to Cal last year, we should boat race them this year. We lost a non conference game to PSU, we should make up that game.

We had Stanford beat, but at home so maybe that gets exchanged with Cal. Maybe we get surprised by ASU, but we have UCLA at home, Oregon at home, and UW. As long as Falk doesn't bang the noggin on the turf we should be ok. He played with a broken pinky for at least half the year, so he will play with pain.

Last edited:
Given the part of the thread that was deleted there are no health concerns. If he is healthy are there really four losses in the schedule?

Are there 4 losses on our schedule? I think so, but that's not a given either. Falk's injury concerns are legitimate. We throw the ball 70 times/game, and Falk is prone to head/turf impact due to the way he folds his arms when he gets wrapped up. Injuries forced him out of the Portland State, UCLA, and Colorado games, and caused him to miss all of the Apple Cup. It's obviously something to watch.

Apart from that, even if he's healthy, there are multiple games on our schedule against opponents that are capable of beating us. At Boise State, Oregon, at Stanford, UCLA, at ASU, at Colorado, Arizona, and UW should all be considered "losable" games if certain things don't go our way.

Are there 4 losses on our schedule? I think so, but that's not a given either. Falk's injury concerns are legitimate. We throw the ball 70 times/game, and Falk is prone to head/turf impact due to the way he folds his arms when he gets wrapped up. Injuries forced him out of the Portland State, UCLA, and Colorado games, and caused him to miss all of the Apple Cup. It's obviously something to watch.

Apart from that, even if he's healthy, there are multiple games on our schedule against opponents that are capable of beating us. At Boise State, Oregon, at Stanford, UCLA, at ASU, at Colorado, Arizona, and UW should all be considered "losable" games if certain things don't go our way.
Agreed. There are plenty of games that we could lose. If things went horribly wrong, we could be 2-10. But there's not a single game on the schedule that I think is a write-off at this point - I think we've got a legitimate and realistic chance of winning all of them.

The point is that it is optimistic from you. It's not particularly optimistic coming after last season's success.
Naw. Remember 4 years isn't that long ago. So we've had a great season in 2015. We have a lot of room for growth. "Optimistic"? It's a great, great season. If we get an 8-4 overall season, it'll still be a season to remember. No reason to look down on that.

Naw. Remember 4 years isn't that long ago. So we've had a great season in 2015. We have a lot of room for growth. "Optimistic"? It's a great, great season. If we get an 8-4 overall season, it'll still be a season to remember. No reason to look down on that.

Valid point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT